AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

4 hours ago, SugarMaple82 said:

Thanks for the advice! That's about what I was afraid of with the list - Do you think running another big unit of bestigors shore it up better? Something along the lines of swapping the beastlord to be the general (for battleline bestigors) and then dropping 1 chimera  and 1 unit of ungors for a block of 30 more bestigors (this would put me at 1970, so I still couldn't quite bump up the second unit to 30). I don't love the ungor models so running a stack of 40 doesn't seem ideal to me and I can keep the 10 to sacrifice on the stone. 

I've heard skyfires are pretty bad in units of 3 for beasts of chaos, is that due to the lack of destiny dice for hero snipes? I'd rather run 2 chimeras and a unit of 3 skyfires than 1 chimera and a unit of 6 but I don't want to gimp the unit. 

Edit: Second question - does anyone know what size base tzaangor enlightened on foot use? 

For the first part - If you dislike the general look of Ungors, you can look around for some alternatives. As has been mentioned in this thread a while back, there are some good models that fit the size and the feel. For example I myself am using the Frostgrave Gnolls. 20 models for 20 bucks, and good amount of details and poses to make them look good once painted. There are also other alternatives.  Granted if you want to go to GW tournaments, using 3rd party models is a no go, but if you dont care about those this might be a good work around the issue you have with the models ;)

As for the second part - Yes currently the Skyfires due to the jacked up price are either All or Nothing scenario. You either dedicate hard and take a unit of 6+ and dedicate with a Tzaan Shaman tagging along and  buffing them, or you skip them completely.  MSU units might be viable once we see a price drop by at least 40 pts per unit.

In your particular case with the Chimeras and what not, I would drop those 3 completely and invest the 200 pts into something else.

If its swift objective grabbers you need then Centigors are your guys. Personally I found Razorgors pretty good for this role as well. The little piggy (a.k.a: angry, over-sized pork-chop on four legs) is fast enough and very cheap. At 40 points its very easy to fit one or two of these into any army. Keep them back let them slowly crouch up towards objectives not drawing attention to them.

One of these buggers won me a game against SCE, where all my big gribbly and scary stuff was pushing hard on my opponent while this little big comfortably sat on an objective for 3 turns, raking those points in and oinking at any unit passing by :D

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 3:02 AM, Myrdin said:

Wait they changed the base size AGAIN ?!
Damn you GW ! Decide already ! Right after I bought bunch of 120mm bases and rebased all my chariots. This seriously pisses me off.

Outside of tournament play is this really an issue for you?  I'm getting a little tired of rebasing every edition.  Ungors on 25, ungors on 20, ungors on 25 round...  I put my Shaggoth on a large round (60mm ish maybe?) and didn't bother rebase since that's what was in AoS 1. 

On 1/7/2019 at 4:16 AM, ageofpaddsmar said:

So has anyone got any ideas or links to conversions for centigor. Ive googled but there are only pics and no real indepth tutorials.

My buddy used warhounds and Ungors.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:43 AM, mrbedlam said:

Spiders are a neat idea but they are really low to the ground. The profile might make them seem kind of stunty unless you extend the legs a bit

In 6th or 7th I used to put Daemonettes on Spider bodies for Slaanesh fast cav (before Hellstriders).  For the height I built up the base for LoS purposes.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:46 AM, Myrdin said:

Buddy of mine put togather High Elf army playing a flying monster circuss

I often wonder how effective the monster mash can be these days.  At least in non-tournament game play.

11 hours ago, Myrdin said:

For the first part - If you dislike the general look of Ungors, you can look around for some alternatives.

If its swift objective grabbers you need then Centigors are your guys. Personally I found Razorgors pretty good for this role as well. The little piggy (a.k.a: angry, over-sized pork-chop on four legs) is fast enough and very cheap. At 40 points its very easy to fit one or two of these into any army. Keep them back let them slowly crouch up towards objectives not drawing attention to them.

One of these buggers won me a game against SCE, where all my big gribbly and scary stuff was pushing hard on my opponent while this little big comfortably sat on an objective for 3 turns, raking those points in and oinking at any unit passing by :D

I think it was back in the Herdstone days someone made Raiders from Glade Guard with the hoods. 

I think Centigors and Razorgors both are descent.  The Razorgor somehow got labelled as ****** but... I dunno,,.. I find them useful however that could be because I never got over taking 2 Great Eagles every wood elf game in 6th, 7th and 8th.  I just find utility in units like that.

On 1/13/2019 at 6:40 AM, Gwendar said:

Yeah, the more I thought about it the less I saw it as an issue. I think that's just some leftover thought-process from never putting Stormfiends in units of 6.

How about the rest of the list? Any recommendations on changes or would you say it's solid for comp play?

The problem with 6 for me was paying for wounds to counter attack vs, just taking 2 x 3 and throwing them both, or something else at the enemy.  If they can divide attacks and wipe out both units of 3 then the 6 won't hold up and you aren't getting reach.  if Great Axes has 2" reach then 6 would be the clear winner.  At this point i don't feel 3 man units are bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

The problem with 6 for me was paying for wounds to counter attack vs, just taking 2 x 3 and throwing them both, or something else at the enemy.  If they can divide attacks and wipe out both units of 3 then the 6 won't hold up and you aren't getting reach.  if Great Axes has 2" reach then 6 would be the clear winner.  At this point i don't feel 3 man units are bad.

The more I've looked into them , the more I can't be bothered. As it stands, they mathematically just can't do much and I would rather bring Bestigors or Enlightened. Granted I do like them aesthetically, but for now it's probably best to leave them out.

I've debated between adding 10 more Raiders to the unit of 30 (unsure about squeezing 40 of them in range within 6") + Chaos spawn to round out the list or instead just adding a Spawn + Dirgehorn and still have room for an extra CP.

Probably not a super strong list for tournaments but using the models I have and sort of "rule of cool." I'm also assuming that Khorne marked BoC units are still conisdered "Khorne mortals" so they can get the buffs from the warshrine. 

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn

Leaders
Doombull (120)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura 
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade 
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye 
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Great Axes
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Pairs of Axes
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

Units
20 x Bestigors (240)
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)
3 x Chaos Spawn (150)
1 x Chaos Warshrine (160)
- Allies

Behemoths
Ghorgon (200)
Cygor (180)

Battalions
Brass Despoilers (190)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 160 / 400
Wounds: 147

The idea is to give the minotaurs a bit of staying power with the 6+ feel no pain from the shrine, and use the Khorne mark buff (reroll failed hits) for whichever heavy hitter needs it to get some work done.  Stock up some primordial call points early and summon whats needed for the scenario (or just drop a second cygor/ghorgon on turn 3ish) and try to rack up CP so you can stack Salughterer's call and the gavespawn buff. Doombull should be able to do some work with 3+ attacks  3/3/-2/5 and rerolling hits/wounds on the once a game Despoilers buff. 

Edited by Yamarahj34

8 hours ago, Yamarahj34 said:

That is unfortunate, doesn't really seem like much of a reason to ally StD if they don't benefit from the mark buffs. 

Actually the bloodsecrators buff works on any khorne unit.

So taking a unit bullgors with him would grand you that 1needed attack per model.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So taking a unit bullgors with him would grand you that 1needed attack per model.

You can't take Bloodsecrator as an ally in Beasts of Chaos. You have to run Brass Despoilers in Khorne Allegiance to take advantage of the buff.

What are some other ways to launch BoC Bullgors across the table more quickly?  Or is there?  The Thunderscorn are quite fast with their hero phase extra move.  But seems like Bullgors aren't as speedy as they used to be (their instrument used to add 1" to charges for each enemy unit within 12", now it's just +1" flat).   Chronomantic Cogs is something, but then the enemy gets it in their turn too.  Plus BoC wizards don't get any casting bonuses like some other factions' wizards.  Is there someway to make them run and charge that I am missing?  Or just wishful thinking on my part?

They're faster in the Blades of Khorne with Bloodstokers though.  

I finally got 1 box of Dragon Ogors.  Just need 2 more for the Thuderscorn battalion.  Not that it really is very good, but plopping them down at once is good.  One can fit that with 2 Shaggoths and an all Bullgor Brass Despoilers and the 3 endless spells in 2000 points.  I figure Gavespawn is good, as summoning a spawn is easy, netting the extra attack buff. 

Or no Greatfray?  Then they can get a trait and relic that isn't so meh.

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

You can still get the +1 attack from the gavespawn ability, the ally warshrine was more for the 6+ additonal save.

• Like 1

Yeah bullgors are currently the short end of the stick.

To slow, to few attacks. Not at all the glasshammer they once used to be.

An option would be for you to lug a shaman with them. Not for the buff, but for Devolve, and try to pull enemy units closer to them. You know, cant get the Kingdom ? Get the King, instead and the rest will follow, and all that fun stuff. But in that case you might wanna considering taking the Vortex for improved casting and bonus range, as most of our spell bar one, have really pathetic range.

6 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

So managed to get some 105x70 bases for the chariots. Dont think I can use the chaos chariot as a conversion as the bases are tiny

Would Ork Boar Chariots fit on those bases? I've just picked some up off ebay to try and modify (use warhounds or something for the pulling beasts), will be a bit of a pain if they are too big.

Looking to take Beasts into a 1k tournament as the Ringer in a couple weeks. I'm wanting to build a list out of what I have, which is atm

2 Shamans

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

20 Bestigors

10 Ungors

10 Ungor Raiders

Cygor

and 80 points for Endless Spells.

That leaves me a Ghorgon and a Cockatrice to summon in later on.

Does this sound like a decent list to give someone a challenge without steamrolling? Also what artefacts/command traits?

Been playing beasts since AoS start in some degree or another and I've been looking to make the jump into the tournament scene. With some theorycrafting with my group, we've come back with this for a 2k list;

Allherd 2K
Shaggoth - Sundering Blades,  Allherd Artifact

Tzaangor Shaman - Tendrils of Agony

Bray Shaman - General, Tendrils of Agony, The Knowing Eye Artifact

2x30 Bestigors

9 Enlightened

10 Ungors w. Spears

Phantasmagoria of Fate

Cogs
Prismatic Wall

1990pts.

Keeps the army down to two drops, lots of unbinding possibility. Ambushing half of the Bestigors to threaten the side the Enlightened don't ride towards. Only 1 game so far, but a lot of ideas already on how to get gas here. Is there any other suggestions the Herd here might have?

Just now, Rark said:

Been playing beasts since AoS start in some degree or another and I've been looking to make the jump into the tournament scene. With some theorycrafting with my group, we've come back with this for a 2k list;

Allherd 2K
Shaggoth - Sundering Blades,  Allherd Artifact

Tzaangor Shaman - Tendrils of Agony

Bray Shaman - General, Tendrils of Agony, The Knowing Eye Artifact

2x30 Bestigors

9 Enlightened

10 Ungors w. Spears

Phantasmagoria of Fate

Cogs
Prismatic Wall

1990pts.

Keeps the army down to two drops, lots of unbinding possibility. Ambushing half of the Bestigors to threaten the side the Enlightened don't ride towards. Only 1 game so far, but a lot of ideas already on how to get gas here. Is there any other suggestions the Herd here might have?

Really curious as to the decision of all herd here? Seems like you'd be better off playing Gavespawn by a wide margin. 

1 minute ago, SwampHeart said:

Really curious as to the decision of all herd here? Seems like you'd be better off playing Gavespawn by a wide margin. 

There's a good chance to get 10 summon points by turn 2 here with Allherd. Having that fun guy support the ambushing or weaker flank was the goal.