AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

The claws add +2 DMG.; so on 5+s to wound a bonus attack is generated and that is 4 dmg.  I wasn't aware of the Chaos GA item.  It sounds like they are quite similar.  

I've found my Doombulls with Great Axes to be very destructive as well.  Kudos yours is earning its fame as well :)  

The unit doesn't have much in the way of reach.  If Great Weapons had a 2" reach, being on 50 mm bases, I would say 6 are good.  If you throw 2 x 3 at an enemy unit the enemy has to split attacks.  I tend to divide my army up into 3.  Each has 3 Bullgors, a Doombull and a Ghorgon.  I'll throw all of these at an enemy all at once.  The enemy unit has to divide up its attacks and often leaves at least something holding up that enemy unit.  Just an MSU throwback to 6th ed Khorne Beasts of Chaos lead by a Doombull :D

I've found the Claw of Anraheir with a great axe Doombull to be a bit overkilly. If I'm getting additional attacks off, whatever it's fighting normally evaporates anyway.

Going to try the Amber Glaive out this weekend. +1 hit on the Doombull sounds spicy.

Edited by thebloody9
Grammer ******

7 hours ago, thebloody9 said:

I've found the Claw of Anraheir with a great axe Doombull to be a bit overkilly. If I'm getting additional attacks off, whatever it's fighting normally evaporates anyway.

Going to try the Amber Glaive out this weekend. +1 hit on the Doombull sounds spicy.

yeah if your attacks go in 3 dmg are normally enough to do very nasty amount of dmg. I think the Claw is better oon something that has more attacks like the 2 HW one as you have more chances to pass some to Hit rolls. That said though Claw is good if you plan to slam you doombull against a big low armour unit while if you plann on exploding charaheters Great Axe and demon blade from GA Chaos Allegiance I find it best.

the +1 to hit is juicy and that was my point in taking the Lord of  War trait when it still was 3+. Now that they nerfed it (AGAIN), 50-50 chance I believe is not reliable enough. So maybe the Amber Glaive makes it juicy again. 

I feel with coupling the "primal" keyword, from the endless spell, with the Hammerhal and the rumour about Brayherds we are due soon.  A well done battletome would move a lot of product regarding Brayherd, sadly they have finecast chariots, and past infantry are lacking without putting the umbrella of "beasts of chaos" up.  A better integration of Brayherd and Warherd at least would solve the issues.

• Like 1

Hey,  I remember Forums! :) Recording Warhammer Weekly last night and found out about the lovely news of goats with "dark looks." Shared my hopes with the hosts on the show but I can't wait to make my Warherd easier to play and with an event prize gift card I picked up yet another Bloodfeast Gorgers allies box (now cleaned out that FLGS). Me thinks a third Cygor will join the Herd and I really needed that Bullgor kit with command sprue to finish up the force. I'm not hyper competitive but here's what I played last 2 games as I forgot the endless spells the first time (thus had 2 CP starting) but last game was very successful and used:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Allies
Doombull (120)
- General
- Great Axe
- Trait: Lord of War
Doombull (120)
- Pair of Axes

Battleline

Units
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Pairs of Axes
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Axes & Bullshields
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Great Axes

Behemoths
Jabberslythe (140)
- Allies
Cygor (180)
Cygor (180)
Ghorgon (200)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 133

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Veterannoob said:

Hey,  I remember Forums! :) Recording Warhammer Weekly last night and found out about the lovely news of goats with "dark looks." Shared my hopes with the hosts on the show but I can't wait to make my Warherd easier to play and with an event prize gift card I picked up yet another Bloodfeast Gorgers allies box (now cleaned out that FLGS). Me thinks a third Cygor will join the Herd and I really needed that Bullgor kit with command sprue to finish up the force. I'm not hyper competitive but here's what I played last 2 games as I forgot the endless spells the first time (thus had 2 CP starting) but last game was very successful and used:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Allies
Doombull (120)
- General
- Great Axe
- Trait: Lord of War
Doombull (120)
- Pair of Axes

Battleline

Units
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Pairs of Axes
3 x Bullgors (160)
- Axes & Bullshields
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Great Axes

Behemoths
Jabberslythe (140)
- Allies
Cygor (180)
Cygor (180)
Ghorgon (200)

Endless Spells
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 133

Half way through the show need to finish watching it and very happy to see a Beastmen enthusiast on it (if they are really announcing the BT I cannot wait for next episode to come out)!! I heard you talking about this list (and the models you bouhgt like me...man I m enjoyng those models!!) and I would really like to try out something like that at some point. What artifact are you using? we were discussing about the possibility to have two very good option in weapons one being the Demon blade from chaos GA (MW on 6+ to wound) the other being the claw from realm of beasts (+2 dmg on 6+ to wound). I normally play with the Crown of Command when I play chaos GA but with minos I think it will be a wasted slot: so did you find one artifact particularly useful with this list or do you see many possibilities being viable?

22 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

I like the show, dislike the make-up names like "kitty caters".   The host needs to tighten up that  for clarity of the audience.

Are the Cygors doing anything for you?  I prefer Ghorgons but I've yet to face lots of spells yet (mellow local meta).  Cogs benefits Bullgors nicely particularly as you're likely not getting 1st turn and not facing an alpha strike list.  Ironically the Herdstone would help making me wonder if a really big unit of Bullgors with the Cogs in a Brayherd army is more the way to go.

What are your thoughts on 6 man units?  I prefer MSU and have noticed other long time players trying it but I'm always keen to hear if people find the extra bodies helpful.

Good luck in your games :)

On 8/22/2018 at 10:59 AM, thebloody9 said:

Don't. Go with Ghyrstrike from Ghyran. It is +1 to hit AND +1 to wound.

10 hours ago, Popisdead said:

The spell Stoke Rage in Chamon is good for Warhead.  +1 to charge and wound.  Bonus attacks on 4+ at that point.  

Its from Aqshy, but yes it is very good. Aqshy also has a spell which add 1 to damage from all melee weapons for a unit until your next hero phase.

If I play in Aqhsy ill try to get off both spells plus the Chaos Sorcerer Lord's spell onto my Doombull with Ghyrstrike. Then im hitting on 2s, re-rolling 1s, wounding on 2s, re-rolling 1s, with exploding 3s and damage 4! Or I could put the buff on a Ghorgon, who could potentially get up to 54 damage in a turn (40 from 10 blade attacks, and 2D6+2 from bites)!

Edited by Colonel Cabbage
  • Like 2

On 8/25/2018 at 5:17 PM, Colonel Cabbage said:

Go with Ghyrstrike from Ghyran. It is +1 to hit AND +1 to wound.

You are probably right with that.

Amberglaive did do good work on the beef chief and this would look like an upgrade on it.

Will try that out on my midweek opponent. 

Edited by thebloody9