AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

26 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Yes-yes time to slay-kill

man-things shall die-Die.

(does anybody know how to speak-talk beastmen like?

i only know how to talk and write like a skaven)?

I think (from the bits and pieces I remember) they basically talk fairly normally just with a limited vocabulary. 

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It s something like me going MOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH(VE) when my Doombull rolls an 11" charge on a pivotal obJective and explodes a LCoD in one turn!!! ? btw it happened for real! 

But otherwize it will mainly be Dark Tongue and basic commob language without verbs coniugation and without articles I think. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Just mooooooove on mate! Isn’t it bleating obvious? Just meeeehk the effort.

also big fan of skaven squeak speak. Until I reread elfslayer, wholly ******, thanquol lost his cutesy funny skaven side when Nathan long got the pen back ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

What jkav86 said, plus I imagine the primal sounds and body language being overlaped with some sort of broken linguistics, sounding similar to Azog and his bunch "dark speech" from Hobbit was.

There is an interesting manga (yeah yeah I know what you´re thinking, but hear me out. Dis aint the usual moe-goats stuff) called "Heterogenia Linguistico" , where a Linguist is taking a journey through tribes of different beastmen (so far there were werewolves, lizardmen and kraken monsters) and takes notes how they use different sensory input. For example werewolves talk little, but use scent. Lizardmen speak a lot but use colors as writing, etc etc.

As a beastmen and monstergirls fan (wish we had our own version of Harpies and those DoK Melusai :3 ) I found it to actually be a pretty intriguing look at this sort of topic when it comes to beastmen and fantasy monsters.
Link: https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-100224542

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pangu said:

The Gavespawn command ability is fine. Lets look at the Waaagh! which is a spammable command ability that gives +1 attack for EVERY unit within 15". Waaagh! is vastly more powerful and much more accesible  than the Gavespawn ability and yet its not causing Ironjaws to dominate the meta. Given how much more restrictive the Gavespawn command ability is to get online i think we can put the pitchforks down.

This is what I’ve been searching for, so ironjawz can spam the WAAGH!? So one megaboss can spam his own CA more than once?

1 hour ago, Dracothjay said:

This is what I’ve been searching for, so ironjawz can spam the WAAGH!? So one megaboss can spam his own CA more than once?

Yes, as many command points as they have generating a potential 0-2 attacks per command point for each melee profile for every Ironjawz unit within 15". It's swingy and usually all eggs in one basket deal. 

Edited by Megaboss Gorstag

32 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Another question. The hungering warherd battallion allows our warherd units an extra 3” when we pile in. Does this mean our pile in activates at 6” or do we have to be within 3” and get to pile in another 3”?

The latter. Compare with yhetees, who can do the former.

(As such, I am struggling to think of any reason to take this over brass despoilers for my warherd, which is less restrictive, and has a better battalion bonus).

Edited by Baron Wastelands
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 3:24 PM, Tasman said:

Sure it is....  if you play for advantage only.  Just not in tourneys that I run.

raw says its fine. its not playing for advantage, its playing by the rules as written

even though comments like this  try an persuade you to not do it due to some imagined understanding of their intent with no confirmation of this otherwise it would be written.

21 hours ago, Kevlar1972 said:

Right. That's how games workshop operates.  They will leave an obvious open loophole in the rules even though everything else like that has been faq'ed. People will rush out and buy a ton of bestigors and spawn. 6 months later that loophole will be closed in an updated faq and people will cry the blues and have to jump on the next new bandwagon.

if you're playing in a competitive environment to win a thing raw is the only thing that matters,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arkiham said:

raw says its fine. its not playing for advantage, its playing by the rules as written

even though comments like this  try an persuade you to not do it due to some imagined understanding of their intent with no confirmation of this otherwise it would be written.

if you're playing in a competitive environment to win a thing raw is the only thing that matters,

That horse died. I guess it's time to stop beating it.

2 hours ago, Baron Wastelands said:

The latter. Compare with yhetees, who can do the former.

(As such, I am struggling to think of any reason to take this over brass despoilers for my warherd, which is less restrictive, and has a better battalion bonus).

Do we gain any other benefits besides the khorne keyword, reroll 1’s to hit and the once per battle ability? I’m thinking brass despoilers with darkwalkers greatfray. Get an alpha strike hopefully lol

Just asking as gaining the khorne keyword could unlock more, but I assume this just opens up better ally units?

Edited by Dracothjay

33 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Do we gain any other benefits besides the khorne keyword, reroll 1’s to hit and the once per battle ability? I’m thinking brass despoilers with darkwalkers greatfray. Get an alpha strike hopefully lol

Just asking as gaining the khorne keyword could unlock more, but I assume this just opens up better ally units?

In beasts, it's a decent buff for the battalion and that's it. Khorne has a few auras that affect all khorne units I think, but not much there. No change in allies.

What it allows you to do is take khorne marked beastmen in a khorne army, along with all the khorne buffs that entails.

The marked battalions are also all really flexible,  allowing you to build armies with 1-3 drops without a unit tax.

1 hour ago, decker_cky said:

In beasts, it's a decent buff for the battalion and that's it. Khorne has a few auras that affect all khorne units I think, but not much there. No change in allies.

What it allows you to do is take khorne marked beastmen in a khorne army, along with all the khorne buffs that entails.

The marked battalions are also all really flexible,  allowing you to build armies with 1-3 drops without a unit tax.

Oh cool. I’ve just spent 2 hours building a list and finally I’m happy with it. Thanks for the advice. Rerolling 1’s is huge as I’m running 15 bullgors!

You could even get full rerolls on bullgors if you stack a banner of Blood bloodsecrator along bullgors wich I'm seriously considering, as It would neuter one of the weak points of the unit.

I tant think warherds are great additions to khorne /nurgle as -2rend 3 damage is a pretty uncommon sight on those armies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Yea I find the Marauding Brayherd one of the stranger ones. On one hand yes ambushing with an extra 1 to charge can make or break your alpha strike, on the other hand it costs 180pts plus a pretty rigid minimum requirements including 3 gor units. The god battalions meanwhile give you a lot of flexibility with only a few restrictions (like no wizards and ungors in khorne,  but you can take them anyways in a BoC army).

If chariots weren't so dang hard to get, even if you convert the plastic ones like the orc one, I would totally want to try MSU chariot nurgle bombs.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea I find the Marauding Brayherd one of the stranger ones. On one hand yes ambushing with an extra 1 to charge can make or break your alpha strike, on the other hand it costs 180pts plus a pretty rigid minimum requirements including 3 gor units. The god battalions meanwhile give you a lot of flexibility with only a few restrictions (like no wizards and ungors in khorne,  but you can take them anyways in a BoC army).

If chariots weren't so dang hard to get, even if you convert the plastic ones like the orc one, I would totally want to try MSU chariot nurgle bombs.

yeah so sad the chariot thing, I really want a chariot MSU! 

I've tooled around with Brass Despoilers in a Khorne list combined with Gore Pilgrims. The idea is for the slaughterpriests to reliably give +2 to hit to a Bullgor unit while the Doombull gives them +1 to wound and the Stoker whips them/Bloodsecrator buffs them. If the prayers are successful then the Great Axes have 3 attacks each (4 for the leader), hit on 2 (rerolls 1's from the battalion), wound on 2 (rerolls 1's from the Stoker),  and thanks to the Stoker and his artifacts the unit has +5" to charge and a free charge reroll if within 8" of him. And then you've got the horns with all the buffs as well. Send the unit in, then repeat the dose on the second Bullgor unit the following turn.

The Bestigor's role is to follow up as the 2nd/3rd wave while the big unit of reavers act as the screen. The small unit of reavers get sacrificed and the warriors camp on an objective and/or defend the priests and bloodsecrator.  Due to the buffs its very tempting to run the Bullgors as a single unit of 6 and you could easily make a late switch based on your opponent/the terrain etc (by simply splitting the Bestigors into 2 units of 10 it doesn't mess with the battalion's minimum requirements).

With two battalions I can choose  3 artifacts but I couldn't find another Khorne one worth taking so went with Gyrstrike on the Doombull which I think he will enjoy. 

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Ghyran

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Bloodstoker (80)
- General
- Trait: Violent Urgency 
- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood 
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Doombull (120)
- Artefact: Ghyrstrike 

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades

Units
6 x Bullgors (320)
- Great Axes
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)
Brass Despoilers (190)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2

• Like 2

I like the idea of using Gors for batteline so only the supporting khorne heroes come from the Beasts of Chaos tome. 

However the thing with slaughterpriests is that their prayers only go off on a 4+. I always run Gore Pilgrims because it lets them reroll failed prayers making them so much more reliable. If you are only running a single priest I would tend to recommend not bothering and spending those 100 points on something else.

I've also never bothered with a special banner for the bloodsecrator. He spends most games at the back of your army so pretty rare for anyone to be within 8" to benefit from the artifact. 

• Thanks 2

Do you guys think enlightened with disks might get point increase in the future?  

They are 20 points cheaper than bullgores have 1 less wound but are way faster and can fly and also deal way more damage expecially if you charge them in behind ungors so that too many foes can not pile in.

I watched Doom and darkness battle report on youtube and they seemed absolutely busted.

Edited by SirPug
  • Like 1

Can we even make use of Bloodsecrator ?

Bloodstroker is fine, coz his ability states only "Khorne" keyword, but Bloodsecrators special rule mentions the Rage of Khorne, which even if you go with Brass Despoiler battalion, we dont have, and as such it is debatable whether our Beastmen can make use of his buffs

Still.... it is a bit dissapointed we dont have the "Mortal" keyword. So many more synergies would open up.