AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

Where did you guys read this?  

I've been to the dakka dakka rumour tracker thread and I've found things have pretty much dried up regarding rumours.   Even if something is leaked (like Rogue Trader for kill team) GW does the official news an hour later. 

I'm not much into rumors myself, but heres what I found on TGA's rumor thread

4 hours ago, LLV said:

I’ll clarify a bit. The Beastmen / darkoath comes from 2 different sources. I dint know if it’s mixed or one or the other. I had to double check when I was told ‘brayherds’ as I had already been told darkoath. 

Moonclan is 100% on its way sept/ oct.

terrain a bit of a shady one too. I’ve heard more army terrain and an expansion on the azyrite ruins but no firm date on either.

Now on the subject of dates, although soul wars fell in line with everything I saw and heard the dates did get changed. Malign sorcery was originally set for release first ( yes it was AoS 1 as a follow up to malign portents) AoS 2 and soul wars was originally slated for end of July.  

Im pretty sure Martin Morrins slip up on whtv (announcing ‘AoS phase 2- nagash is kicking off’ during adepticon ) moved things forward regarding the AoS 2 release - which also coincides with the mess of a release we’ve had with scrolls not being ready small coverage in June WD etc. 

So that being said although the stuff I’ve been told should be 2018 there’s no guarantee as they’ve shown that the AoS release schedule will be moved around. Slaanesh I was told would be Jan/feb mirroring the nurglevand tzeentch release. I’d be surprised if it’s moved up but it could be possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Where did you guys read this?  

I've been to the dakka dakka rumour tracker thread and I've found things have pretty much dried up regarding rumours.   Even if something is leaked (like Rogue Trader for kill team) GW does the official news an hour later. 

So, some our ago in the Rumor Thread this got dropped:

Moonclan, New terrain, darkoath/beast-men

sorry slaanesh you’ll have to wait till 2019....

This guy apparently is one of those if not THE one that predicted AoS as it is before AoS was even a thing in 2015 (when all the rumors of a new edition came out). And then in random times he "predicted" (it seems pointless to say "predicted", it really looks like the guy knows) other releases that ended up being true releases!

And yesterday/today he dropped that....and the forum went BOOOOOM!!!!!

At the end of the day it kind of make sense; not the Beastmen part, which although I am really glad to hear, but all the rest does. We know that with the release of Malign Portent and the Harbingers we would have had one release per Allegiance during 2018  and SCE and NH already happened. We also know that a Destruction release was going to happen at some point as they did not receive a Battletome for ages and Moonclan (or anyway grots) make sense. Therefore Darkoath (AND BEASTMEN!!!!!!!!!!!) make sense. Rumors that Slaanesh was coming we all heard about. Although insiders rumors last year (when urgle got announced) told me that GW plans at the beginning were to release one Chaos god per year and we already had Khorne 2016, Tzeentch 2017, Nurgle 2018 so it is pretty clear  Slaanesh will come il 2019. Therefore, again, it make semse we receive other releases in the meantime like Moonclan and Darkoath (AND BEASTMEN!!!!!!!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello fellow true chaos believers, 

So far I am really enjoying running the herd this edition, sadly moved away from pure brayherd like I used to run in AOS1 and now using grand alliance chaos for me with brayherd and warherd mixed. 

Like others above I was a little saddened with the changes to the GBS spell and scenary rules for the herdstone but mostly the sheer balls to wall approach of the herdstone axe beastlord ambush surprise. 

However it hasn't been all doom and gloom for all the games I've played in Aos2, granted I've been smashed off a table by top of turn 2 by a dreadwood but that was a "learning game".  (also the saltiest I've ever got playing) 

I've held my own vs a very strong nurgle drone list this Sunday doing some tournament prep due cheap fast screens and an abundance of warm goat bodies everywhere. 

Overall I'm pleased with how both herd armies work this edition and developing a new love/hate relationship with my anraheirs claw doombull. 

17 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

This guy apparently is one of those if not THE one that predicted AoS as it is before AoS was even a thing in 2015 (when all the rumors of a new edition came out). And then in random times he "predicted" (it seems pointless to say "predicted", it really looks like the guy knows) other releases that ended up being true releases!

And yesterday/today he dropped that....and the forum went BOOOOOM!!!!!

This is an overstatement of a declaration.  There were a multiple people who knew about AoS.  Both Hastings and Harry as well as lots of others knew AoS was coming.  

I'll stay skeptical given the rumour thread is mostly discussing stuff GW has released.  In the end I would be pleasantly surprised for a Brayherd book but I'm not holding my breath.

Also anyone can predict Slaanesh (early) 2019.  Just look at the pattern of the other chaos armies.

Edited by Popisdead

6 hours ago, Popisdead said:

This is an overstatement of a declaration.  There were a multiple people who knew about AoS.  Both Hastings and Harry as well as lots of others knew AoS was coming.  

I'll stay skeptical given the rumour thread is mostly discussing stuff GW has released.  In the end I would be pleasantly surprised for a Brayherd book but I'm not holding my breath.

Also anyone can predict Slaanesh (early) 2019.  Just look at the pattern of the other chaos armies.

well yeah, I did not know others knew, I did not mean to say he was the only one altough. ?

Exactly, the pattern is absolutely that one (again guy at the store in my home town said it right before nurgle got announced and it make sense) so I am not expecting Slaanesh before 2019.

I have to say after the initial euphoria (everybody had a moment at least) I am getting a bit skeptical on what Beastmen means. If actual Brayherd or just monsters (remember Warriors of Chaos came out with all the monsters that have been moved from the Beasts of chaos 6th ed army book leaving Beastmen with just pure Beastmen).

Although let dream a bit...not too hard though they might hear us?

22 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

well yeah, I did not know others knew, I did not mean to say he was the only one altough. ?

Exactly, the pattern is absolutely that one (again guy at the store in my home town said it right before nurgle got announced and it make sense) so I am not expecting Slaanesh before 2019.

I have to say after the initial euphoria (everybody had a moment at least) I am getting a bit skeptical on what Beastmen means. If actual Brayherd or just monsters (remember Warriors of Chaos came out with all the monsters that have been moved from the Beasts of chaos 6th ed army book leaving Beastmen with just pure Beastmen).

Although let dream a bit...not too hard though they might hear us?

I reckon we read the same rumour. Brayherd/darkoath. So combined book maybe? 

9 hours ago, Frozenbeast said:

Oh for the love of Khorne please let it happen!!!!

I’m hoping for undivided just for some extra faction instead of extra options for existing faction books :) 

edit: because that’s what I expect happening if everything can/has a god keyword. 

Edited by Kramer

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

I’m hoping for undivided just for some extra faction instead of extra options for existing faction books :) 

edit: because that’s what I expect happening if everything can/has a god keyword. 

I think one problem with Fantasy undivided is that it's mostly "we have no special qualities". They should really do what 40k has done and make more flavors of "undivided/markless" beyond "paint our armor steel grey".

I mean they sort have with Chaos Dwarfs being artillery masters and bits of Norsca being more vikings than "fantasy chaos marines", they just need more! So in 40k you have Iron Warriors (artillery), Night Lords (terror), Alpha Legion (spies and underground cults), Word Bearers (very obvious cults), Dark Mechanicus (robots gone evil) and so on.

Heck I want fantasy Cultists! Yea I could proxy them as Ungors or Skaven Clanrats, but an official kit would be nice.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 11:40 AM, Kramer said:

I reckon we read the same rumour. Brayherd/darkoath. So combined book maybe? 

I don't want that.  

It is a dumb idea.  Beasts of Chaos a la Path to Glory was a better focus or grouping.   

It makes no sense to add two horde armies.  "hey kids? did you want your favourite goat men to be the meat shield of marauders?  here is some salt instead of ice cream."

Brayherds needs a better merging of some heavy hitters or synergy and battalions, they don't need marauders.  Oh they need marks back too.  

4 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I don't want that.  

It is a dumb idea.  Beasts of Chaos a la Path to Glory was a better focus or grouping.   

It makes no sense to add two horde armies.  "hey kids? did you want your favourite goat men to be the meat shield of marauders?  here is some salt instead of ice cream."

Brayherds needs a better merging of some heavy hitters or synergy and battalions, they don't need marauders.  Oh they need marks back too.  

I think it’s a brilliant idea. I loved the chaos warriors  core with the beastmen around them in olden days. A less cynical take on it could be do you finally want some saves and elite models with your horde of beasts :/ just saying. A sturdy horn for your, aforementioned, melting ice cream ;) 

But let’s face it, it’s going to be irrelevant because either GW is going to go some crazy, concept turned up to 11 route. Or (my guess) a legions of Nagash style time. With monsters, brayherds, warherds, slaves to darkness and everChosen. Archaon in a nagash style overlord role and sub faction bonuses for going a specific ‘legion’. It could well be the saving grace of several great factions and model lines. 

And of course marks for everything :D (and an unmarked bonus.) 

edit: it lost the @Popisdead quote :S added it back in

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Was wondering how useful the Devolve spell on the shaman is proving to be for you all. Good enough for you to ally him into a different army perhaps? (As a 100 point ‘endless spell’ that can cap objectives etc. since he’d lose use of the movement buff). 

Cheers!!

19 hours ago, Kramer said:

A less cynical take...A sturdy horn for your, aforementioned, melting ice cream ;) 

But let’s face it, it’s going to be irrelevant because either GW is going to go some crazy, concept turned up to 11 route.

I'll admit to being salty.  The cynicism is GW will once again not get Beastmen, not give them marks and water down what players want.  People went to the Herdstone monthly saying "I love the models" and got a fairly weak army GW neglected.

but yes, Irrelevant what I think cause GW will indeed do what they do.  I can't miss too much the old world as it is dead and AoS armies are indeed quite different (I don't miss Dwarf gunlines at all) and all for the better.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Hi guys,

Was wondering how useful the Devolve spell on the shaman is proving to be for you all. Good enough for you to ally him into a different army perhaps? (As a 100 point ‘endless spell’ that can cap objectives etc. since he’d lose use of the movement buff). 

Cheers!!

Personally I did not think it was much of a help before using it and still after 4 matches I think it have a very limited usage. I ll explain:

It has 18" so you cannot use it turn 1 unless the enemy goes first and plays brave so he ends up being within range. And if he does play brave maybe he is playing one of those turn one charge lists like khorne so you cannot use it as they are already within 3" of one of your units ;

Again, if the enemy is within 3" you cannot use it;

If they are too close to you and the closest friendly unit you don t want it to be charged but you are thinking of moving it, you cannot use it as you risk theenemy unit to get within 3" of your unit. 

They only time I could use it is in the very late game or in very specific situations. It is a tool more than a reliability. And now we cannot build around it while before we could build around summoning. 

Did not like it on paperwhen they announced it and still don t like it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Hi guys,

Cheers!!

So far I've found the realm spells to be more useful. Devolve is very situational and in the few games I've played with it, my opponent played a fast army and we were in combat the entire time.

From using slaughterpriests I know that moving enemy units can be very useful, but I probably use it in less than half my games when I use slaughterpriests. Though since brayherds are much faster than bloodhound it's a bit less useful because if you are within 18" in the hero phase you will be able to charge reliably.

If you want to use a shaman in a different army for devolve you may want to consider a slaughterpriest instead since they have a similar effect but can also do mortal wounds if pulling enemies is not worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popisdead said:

I'll admit to being salty.  The cynicism is GW will once again not get Beastmen, not give them marks and water down what players want.  People went to the Herdstone monthly saying "I love the models" and got a fairly weak army GW neglected.

but yes, Irrelevant what I think cause GW will indeed do what they do.  I can't miss too much the old world as it is dead and AoS armies are indeed quite different (I don't miss Dwarf gunlines at all) and all for the better.  

Fair enough.  I just hope they go all in on it. So far every new faction has left me thinking that's awesome. Sometimes I also thought not for me. But I love the new direction so I can't be anything but hopeful. 

• Like 2

By the way what are people's experiences with Thunderscorn? Basic Dragon Ogors seem pretty decent hammers and Shaggoths are pretty beefy for a non-behemoth hero. Too bad though the thunder spell they give to wizards can't be used offensively. Also it would be kind of nice if they still had their "electricity immunity" but then I guess it would hard to determine which attacks from Stormcast are "electric" (it literally be the vast majority!). Or maybe they could have their electricity resistance be a 5+ or so after save against wounds/mortal wounds caused by "electric" attacks.

Man its so weird that warhammer/40k have "elemental" attacks but also not really (I'm looking at you 40k "flame" attacks!)

I see Shaggoths show up time to time.  And with a "heal" spell for a caster.  I've never made one work, but my experience was limited to Path to Glory.  I feel Daemonic Power would really suit a Shaggoth well.

Hastings had a rumour back in 8th that he saw CAD of a Monstrous Beast (old 8th ed classification) sized Centigors but never saw anything past that.  My guess is they were shelved and I am wondering if this Brayherd rumour is true for Sept, that would be something GW could resurrect.  

From time to time I wonder about revisiting the Dakka Dakka rumour tracker again to see if stuff from Pre-AOS made it to AoS.  I get the sense that Kurnoth Hunters may have been such a unit.  

14 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

Hastings had a rumour back in 8th that he saw CAD of a Monstrous Beast (old 8th ed classification) sized Centigors but never saw anything past that.  My guess is they were shelved and I am wondering if this Brayherd rumour is true for Sept, that would be something GW could resurrect. 

Maybe they were working on an actual model for Kholek Suneater? I think he was the only chaos warrior special character that never got a model (even Scyla got updated)! Not even for the End Times when they were releasing chaos models left and right!

23 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Maybe they were working on an actual model for Kholek Suneater? I think he was the only chaos warrior special character that never got a model (even Scyla got updated)! Not even for the End Times when they were releasing chaos models left and right!

No not Kholek.  I was hoping the big kit that turned into the Mutalith had been KHolek.  He could comeback now in a freak lightening storm and it could be a good release in AoS.  

On 8/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, Popisdead said:

No not Kholek.  I was hoping the big kit that turned into the Mutalith had been KHolek.  He could comeback now in a freak lightening storm and it could be a good release in AoS.  

What I really hope is that they bring back Morghur, it would be soooo good to have him spawning chaos spawns in front of enemy units (maybe give him a bolt-like spell that when it kills a model it turns it into  chaos spawn that has to be set up within 3" of an enemy unit). Also would be cool if his aura of mutation would protect him from shooting (like a 3+ against all non-combat attacks or damage that come from more than 12" away from him and 5+ when in combat). I mean he is the incarnation of Chaos and as per lore he cannot die. He just weakens and rises back (bit like Alarielle with her seasons) no matter where or when, he is an entity not a living being, he takes mortal form just to manifest himself so he could be explained very easily how he survived the end times and the explosion of the world-that-was. 

Edited by Frozenbeast