AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Atreides said:

This has  probably been asked to death before,  but I've got a BoC SC and was wondering if I should build the Cygor or Ghorgon? I don't plan on including a lot of Warherd units in my army, if that helps. 

Well the cygor is great if you don’t have any wizard in your army that can umbind, or if you want some kind of a support through shooting.

as for combat you’d probably be better of with the Ghorgon.

By the way, what's everyone's thoughts on the Tuskgor Chariots and has anyone played with them already? 6 wounds 4+ save for 60 points doesn't seem bad and they seem like they could be a decent ambushing unit with the re-rolling charges. With cogs that is a 7" charge with a reroll which is pretty likely to succeed, then they also gain more attacks on the charge. The fact that it has multiple weapon profiles actually works well with the Gavespawn command ability since it adds +1 attack to every weapon. 4 of them on the charge have 40 attacks, 52 with the Gavespawn ability (and you can summon Spawn for just 3 Primordial points).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vastus said:

By the way, what's everyone's thoughts on the Tuskgor Chariots and has anyone played with them already? 6 wounds 4+ save for 60 points doesn't seem bad and they seem like they could be a decent ambushing unit with the re-rolling charges. With cogs that is a 7" charge with a reroll which is pretty likely to succeed, then they also gain more attacks on the charge. The fact that it has multiple weapon profiles actually works well with the Gavespawn command ability since it adds +1 attack to every weapon. 4 of them on the charge have 40 attacks, 52 with the Gavespawn ability (and you can summon Spawn for just 3 Primordial points).

Good thinking! I hadn't thought of using the Gavespawn ability on a larger unit of chariots. I usually use them in min size units. I like that they take up a bunch of space on the board, and I don't have to worry about bravery. Definitely a great summoning choice thanks to charge rerolls---generally anything that gets a charge bonus is a solid pick.

• Like 1

Played 1k Darkwalkers against Idoneth eels a couple days ago. Foolishly got caught in trying to ambush as much as possible in as sneaky way as possible which left the stuff I had to put on the board from the start to be demolished. There is definitely legs in it at that point level though, I just took the units I thought were cool.

I agree I think the chariot is pretty good now. I like it as a guaranteed turn 2 summon if things get sticky.

I had my first real game with my beasts last night against an ogre player. Have to say I really enjoyed playing them and the new stuff is all a lot of fun. My list was...

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
 - Greatfray: Gavespawn

Beastlord (90)
 - General
 - Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great Bray Shaman (100)
 - Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Great Bray Shaman (100)
 - Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Gors (210)
 - Gor-Blades & Beastshields
30 x Gors (210)
 - Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
6 x Bullgors (320)
 - Great Axes
1 x Chaos Spawn (50)
Ghorgon (200)
Desolating Beastherd (150)

So, we ended up playing the battle for the pass mission. I set up my one unit of gors, bestigor and bullgors and ghorgon with my heros and spawn right on the front line with some ungors on my back objective, the remaining ungors and gor units in ambush. The other player set up his ogres protected by a huge web of gnoblars. I got dropped first so I let him take turn one, not sure if that was the right move. I wont go into a turn by turn break down, but basically my bestigors and other big hitters went left and pushed through while on my right his ogres pushed through. We went till turn four, where we were tied for points, but it was getting late so we called it as a win for him. I wasn't able to score more then one more point for turn five while I was 99% certain he could get 4 or so more points.

Some thoughts,

The herd stone sounds cool but it didn't really do anything, with the formation I ran I wanted to be up in the other guys face so it was never in range for anything. At least it doesn't cost points.

The beastlord with gnarlblade is a nice surprise, people don't expect a 90 point hero to be doing 18 or more damage with the formation, rerolling ones, and wounds against heros. As an aside, I did kill a hero with him to use his ability, but he died to the next combat and since you cant be within 18" of a corpse it was a wasted command point.

Stacking the gavespawn ability, on the charge with bestigor is sick. I took care of his Ironguts with 5 attack bestigors.

Geminids are a pain, they really helped take care of my gor units with their debuffs.

Ambushing is cool, but my opponent was smart and didn't really leave me anywhere good to drop.

And now a request! Anyone got any advise for how to play this list a bit better? I have to admit I'm not a great player and advise is welcome, as I plan to bring this to my first AoS tournament in November. I'm looking forward to it, but I'd be happy not to be the bottom guy :P  

Edit: My Bullgors have axes and shields, don't know how that got wrong!

Edited by jkav86
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Vastus said:

I think running 7 single chariot units of them in Nurgle Battalion is a hilarious option, especially if the enemy is running MSU.

49 minutes ago, jkav86 said:

The beastlord with gnarlblade is a nice surprise, people don't expect a 90 point hero to be doing 18 or more damage with the formation, rerolling ones, and wounds against heros. As an aside, I did kill a hero with him to use his ability, but he died to the next combat and since you cant be within 18" of a corpse it was a wasted command point.

This is why I think you want a second Beastlord (possibly with volcanic blade) so you have two possible bubbles to choose from when a beastlord gets a kill. 

• Like 1

I'm curious as to folks thoughts, from a competitive point of view, on ambush. I know its only one out of 18 game types but Total Commitment basically means I'm totally uninterested in relying on really building around ambushing. Fortunately have some flexibility in that most of our units are fast enough that even without ambush they can get into position quickly but it does leave me effectively skipping dark walkers and the bray horn every time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

I'm curious as to folks thoughts, from a competitive point of view, on ambush. I know its only one out of 18 game types but Total Commitment basically means I'm totally uninterested in relying on really building around ambushing. Fortunately have some flexibility in that most of our units are fast enough that even without ambush they can get into position quickly but it does leave me effectively skipping dark walkers and the bray horn every time. 

I think a lot of people will get worried when you announce that you're placing units in ambush and possibly waste units trying to zone out their deployment.

If you leave space on the 2 flanks of your army you can always ambush them in wherever you end up in the move phase and you effectively mess up your opponents deployment. 

34 minutes ago, Retro said:

I think a lot of people will get worried when you announce that you're placing units in ambush and possibly waste units trying to zone out their deployment.

If you leave space on the 2 flanks of your army you can always ambush them in wherever you end up in the move phase and you effectively mess up your opponents deployment. 

My issue isn't getting them in when I ambush. Its the fact that I could play a game where any points I invest in ambush are wasted. To be clear I mean points invested or opportunity cost to buff ambushing units (artifacts, great frays, command traits, etc). 

Edited by SwampHeart

2 minutes ago, SwampHeart said:

My issue isn't getting them in when I ambush. Its the fact that I could play a game where any points I invest in ambush are wasted. To be clear I mean points invested or opportunity cost to buff ambushing units (artifacts, great frays, command traits, etc). 

Sorry, I might not have been clear. I'm more agreeing with you.

What I meant was to use the threat of ambush to force your opponent to deploy in sub optimal ways but don't build your list around it

Played a game of 1250points with my BoC army against Nurgle maggotkin.

i myself was using the gavespawn greatfray, giving my Beastlord the +2damage weapons.

lets Start with the summoning mechanics.

they weren’t really used to often, but were a real gamechancer in the last 3turns.

summoning ungors/Gors etc. To take objective marker which your Enemy has left alone, really helped big times.

the beastlord with the artifact was also very interesting to use.

dealing 3whole damage per blow, made it easy for him to slay hero’s in 1roumd of combat.

bestigors were also amazing tearing a unit of 30plaguebeares with a -2to hit down- in a single combat phase.

Gors weren’t that impressive  to be actually true, but with their 4+save in combat they held their own against the brutal combat unit of blighdlords.

(they still died though after 2rounds of combat)

after all I find Boc a  great faction with a potential of being very competitive and in the same time fun to be played against and with them.

Also Tzaangors enlisting enlightenment are a great unit, if you keep some kind of meatshields in front of them.

in such a way that they’ll be taken into the combat if a charge was made against the meatshields.

Then.they will punish those foolish things, that dared to challenge your might.

nothing is worse then to get hit by a full squad of enlightenments which can reroll literally everything.

those guys will tear trough units like they were nothing.

afterall there aren’t to many units who can bystand an attack that deals on average 20-30wounds per turn.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 2

Anyone managed to pull off an ambushing Beastlord with Sword of Judgement and nearby Brayblast Trumpet buff? D6 mortal wounds on hit rolls of 5 or 6 for his 6 attacks makes him  a woollier version of a Tenebral Shard.

The 9" charge limits its use (so nowhere near as good as the Tenebral Shard really...), but there are ways to improve charges (such as Cogs,  Marauding Brayherd, Forward to Victory or any combination).

It also requires an enemy hero or monster to be within 15" of a board edge, with a clear path. So lots has to go right for this to work.

I'm just wondering if anyone has managed to pull it off in the wild?

• Like 1

I've noticed our made to order special characters are for sale only for this week and a box of ungor riders with round bases seems to seen in stock again. Have you buy any box of ungors?, Ive phoned my local GW store and told me they are only available in web like the old boxes.

4 minutes ago, peasant said:

I've noticed our made to order special characters are for sale only for this week and a box of ungor riders with round bases seems to seen in stock again. Have you buy any box of ungors?, Ive phoned my local GW store and told me they are only available in web like the old boxes.

The Ungors still come with square bases. Although the customer service team aren't 100% sure of that (which you could take advantage of I suppose) I phoned and was told the Raiders listing comes with round bases and the regular Ungor listing comes with square. Both say they come with square in the description and they're both meant to apparently. Mine came with square so I got back in touch and they sent me round ones as they had said on the phone that's what I should have gotten.

I have no idea why they're still coming with square bases now they're in the generic white citadel mini boxes - no reason not to pack those correctly now. The round bases are only in the start collecting currently. Is the same deal with Seekers of Slaanesh and Hellstriders only getting the new oval bases if bought in the start collecting or army sets.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Elazar The Glorified said:

The Ungors still come with square bases. Although the customer service team aren't 100% sure of that (which you could take advantage of I suppose) I phoned and was told the Raiders listing comes with round bases and the regular Ungor listing comes with square. Both say they come with square in the description and they're both meant to apparently. Mine came with square so I got back in touch and they sent me round ones as they had said on the phone that's what I should have gotten.

I have no idea why they're still coming with square bases now they're in the generic white citadel mini boxes - no reason not to pack those correctly now. The round bases are only in the start collecting currently. Is the same deal with Seekers of Slaanesh and Hellstriders only getting the new oval bases if bought in the start collecting or army sets.

Ok thanks I didnt know the hellstrider were in the same situation, is very weird I cant undertand why arent ungors and bestigors for sale repacked they would earn a good money. A lot of people is starting BoC in my city it seems in the same numbers as when nighthaunt!

5 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Speaking of the made to order, when are chaos dragons coming back? Have to wait for Darkoath or something? Everchosen 2.0?

They clearly exist in AoS!

fa5baa2ce3670120a8661b89ee2e5da9.jpg

Yes-yes 

Chaos Dragons perfect material to make-forge hell pit abomination.

all captured-needed for experiments.

now you know why they haven’t shown themselves in aos

Edited by Skreech Verminking

10 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Speaking of the made to order, when are chaos dragons coming back? Have to wait for Darkoath or something? Everchosen 2.0?

The Warriors of Chaos Compendium contains the Chaos Dragon Warscroll which is perfectly valid to use in a GA Chaos army.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-warriors-of-chaos-en.pdf

Well I also meant in terms of models. Galrauch is starting to look dated, and tiny (can't believe back in the day he was on a pretty small base). And they stopped making that FW Chaos Dragon (not the warpfire, the normal 2 headed chaos dragon). Plus the khorne dragon is still TBD. So right now the only way to make chaos dragons is to fit on an extra head on the current dragons.

I actually completely forgot about the FW chaos dragon existing. Man that thing was massive. When did that go OOP?

Spoiler

i505837411.jpg?pictureSize=W640

_07A6299xx-01.jpg

18 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

They clearly exist in AoS!

fa5baa2ce3670120a8661b89ee2e5da9.jpg

And I believe that not just meant to be a plain Chaos Dragon, but an Emperor Chaos Dragon. One of the Forge World models that never got a warscroll sadly :(.

Hope both variants come back someday.