AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Here's what I'm running these days. More information, including more in-depth deployment strategy and tactics, is available in the thread addressing the Marauding Brayherd (https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19933-aos-2-marauding-brayherd-feedback-welcome-on-2000pt-list/).

I deploy the Great Bray-Shaman w/ Vicious Stranglethorns, Bestigors, Centigors, and various Ungor units (the non-Raider unit itself is Primordial Call fodder). The Beastlord, Great Bray-Shaman w/ Tendrils of Atrophy, Tuskgor Chariots, and Gors units enter play via Brayherd Ambush. Setup for me is a one-drop, so I likely go first.

If possible, I ambush in a way that puts as many of the Gor units as possible within range to benefit from the Beastlord's Dominator trait (Tuskgor Chariots have their own innate re-roll to charges). I charge with the Beastlord, using a Command Point if necessary to re-roll; the Marauding Brayherd battalion brings the number needed in most cases down to an eight. If the Beastlord is successful, the remainder of my ambushing force now can re-roll charge rolls in pursuit of their own eight. This is a significant improvement over a standard ambush's a single chance at a nine.

From the front, Centigors can likely first turn charge, so they and the Raiders add additional threat on the other side of the opponent's lines, while Bestigors take the center and move to threaten whatever is left on turn two.

This is my current list:

Allegiance: Beasts Of Chaos
- Greatfray: Allherd
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Dominator 
- Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator 
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: Brayblast Trumpet 
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Gors (210)
- Two Gor-Blades
30 x Gors (210)
- Two Gor-Blades
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
15 x Centigors (240)
4 x Tuskgor Chariots (240)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)

Battalions
Marauding Brayherd (180)

Endless Spells
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 199

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I have just started with AoS and Beasts of Chaos so I have few questions:

1.) GBS has DEVOVLE spell, can anyone tell me how it works: If i understand i pick enemy unit and this unit must move 2D6 to the closest Beast of chaos unit?

2.) If I cast the spell: Wildfire Taurus, and I cast him in front of the enemy unit can he move over him or must he go past him with his units?

3.) Herdstone, I am not sure if i play this model/terain correctly:

- Locus of Savegery: do i need to be with my units wholly within aura to benefit from it, meaning if i have a unit of 40xUngors and 3 modes from the unit are not in the aura range do i get the benefit from it or not?

- Entropic Loadstone: same as above, must enemy unit be wholly inside aura or only one model form the unit and it works?

4.) Summoning: is it possible to summon more model in the same unit, meaning can I spend 12 points and summon 20 xBestigors in one unit or do they need to be in two units of 10?

What units do you summon, i really like Cockatrice, why it is very cheap only 5point when you put it on the table it can shoot asap and even in CC it is not that bad?

Thanks for the answers

1 hour ago, Worm said:

1.) GBS has DEVOVLE spell, can anyone tell me how it works: If i understand i pick enemy unit and this unit must move 2D6 to the closest Beast of chaos unit?

This is correct.

1 hour ago, Worm said:

2.) If I cast the spell: Wildfire Taurus, and I cast him in front of the enemy unit can he move over him or must he go past him with his units?

I'm not sure I understand - do you mean can your opponent move his models over the Wildfire Taurus (the answer to that question is no, he would have to move around it). Or do you mean can the wildfire taurus move over other models (the answer is yes because it has fly but its effect will still trigger). 

1 hour ago, Worm said:

- Locus of Savegery: do i need to be with my units wholly within aura to benefit from it, meaning if i have a unit of 40xUngors and 3 modes from the unit are not in the aura range do i get the benefit from it or not?

You must have the ENTIRE unit within range of the aura to get the bonus for Locus of Savagery. So in your example if the 3 ungors were not in the aura range you would not get the benefit. 

1 hour ago, Worm said:

- Entropic Loadstone: same as above, must enemy unit be wholly inside aura or only one model form the unit and it works?

The enemy unit only needs to have a single model within range for this effect. So if he had 10 models and 2 were inside the range he would be affected. 

1 hour ago, Worm said:

4.) Summoning: is it possible to summon more model in the same unit, meaning can I spend 12 points and summon 20 xBestigors in one unit or do they need to be in two units of 10?

They would need to be two separate units - you spend the points to get the exact unit listed (so 10 Bestigors). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Any thoughts on a good spell for a second Bray Shaman/Tzaangor Shaman? Tendrils of Atrophy is the obvious choice for my main Shaman, but what spell should I take on my second one? One of them will be parked by the herdstone for sacrificing.

Viscous stranglethorns in general is good. Titanic fury has worked well for me. But I run at least two Ghorghons. I run all warherd for reference. 

• Like 1

Savage dominion basically says "roll over a monster's bravery, make it take half it's wounds in mortals." With the crows, it's pretty powerful.

Stranglethorns is great, unless you play in most US tournaments where the terrain is either inconsequential, out of the way, or nonexistant. This usually goes on my herdstone warming shaman.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CharnelChimera said:

Savage dominion basically says "roll over a monster's bravery, make it take half it's wounds in mortals." With the crows, it's pretty powerful.

Huh, I never noticed how Savage Dominion isn't "another unit". I just assumed it was. Interesting application of "stop hitting yourself"!

28 minutes ago, CharnelChimera said:

Stranglethorns is great, unless you play in most US tournaments where the terrain is either inconsequential, out of the way, or nonexistant. This usually goes on my herdstone warming shaman.

Interesting. I usually only play in events/tournaments at my local club here in NZ, but we generally have a lot of terrain on the table.

2 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Huh, I never noticed how Savage Dominion isn't "another unit". I just assumed it was. Interesting application of "stop hitting yourself"!

RAW vs RAI,  it almost makes sense. You temporarily take control of it and make it claw at itself. It does feel a little counter-intuitive, though, doesn't it?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CharnelChimera said:

RAW vs RAI,  it almost makes sense. You temporarily take control of it and make it claw at itself. It does feel a little counter-intuitive, though, doesn't it?

I'm guessing it is intentional, I mean they have been careful on which buffs can affect ranges weapons for a different example. Can't use Sundering Blades to buff your Ungor Raider bows!

Plus the spell can always deal damage with its current wording. Otherwise you'd always have to rely on the monster being 4" away from enemies to do work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I'm guessing it is intentional, I mean they have been careful on which buffs can affect ranges weapons for a different example. Can't use Sundering Blades to buff your Ungor Raider bows!

Plus the spell can always deal damage with its current wording. Otherwise you'd always have to rely on the monster being 4" away from enemies to do work.

Yeah that makes Savage Dominion much better than expected! Unfortunately there aren't a lot of monsters being used in my local club, and the ones that are being used (e.g. Alarielle) have pretty high bravery. 

Any thoughts on Enlightened on foot vs. on Disk? For only an extra 40 points, you get a lot of value out of the disks, but it seems that Enlightened on foot can be useful if you want to take advantage of their rerolls to hit and wound. You can attack over a screen of chaff with their 2" reach spears, where your opponent can't hit them back. E.g. camp an objective with some enlightened on foot with a ring of Ungors or Gors around. Your opponent is forced to charge the screen if they want to take the objective, and unless they have 2" reach they are forced to fight the chaff. Should give you at least one turn of free rerolls to hit and wound with no danger from going second.

Regarding spells from lore of the twisted wilds aside from Vicious Stranglehorns:

• Savage dominion, as mentioned, is quite good (but situational).
  • Tendrils of atrophy is solid on a tzaangor shaman, as they tend to be pretty close to the battle.  Also a good option for a bray shaman on a balewind vortex as well (good boost for savage dominion too, not to mention the value of pulling forward a unit which the same wizard can then debuff). 
  • Wild Rampage is really good on either bray shaman or tzaangor shaman - rerolls are awesome despite the drawback. 
  • Titanic fury is great, but obviously is highly dependent on your army composition (You'll want at least 2-3 Shaggoth, Ghorgon, Chimera or Gargants). 

So aside from Viletide, they all have solid uses.

Edited by decker_cky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 123lac said:

Now that the battle tome is out in the wild, how is everyone finding their army performing on the table top?

Good, bad, average?

Don’t know yet.

i’ll be taking my 1250p army tomorrow to the table.

but from paper it looks very interesting, and can probably perform average to good at the battlefield.

1 hour ago, 123lac said:

Now that the battle tome is out in the wild, how is everyone finding their army performing on the table top?

Good, bad, average?

I had a 1K game on Monday and lost, only marginal (lost more units than my opponent). Opponent was khorne bloodbound and to be honest, I was rolling poor all night, low spell casts and opponent forcing me to reroll successful casts was killing my magic game. His blood warriors swinging back when they die was a pain.

My MVP’s were 30 raiders and my doombull. Those guys did so much damage. Also, 10 bestigors can achieve so much. I am really considering always running bestigors as MSU at all times. 

4 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

Any thoughts on Enlightened on foot vs. on Disk? For only an extra 40 points, you get a lot of value out of the disks, but it seems that Enlightened on foot can be useful if you want to take advantage of their rerolls to hit and wound. You can attack over a screen of chaff with their 2" reach spears, where your opponent can't hit them back. E.g. camp an objective with some enlightened on foot with a ring of Ungors or Gors around. Your opponent is forced to charge the screen if they want to take the objective, and unless they have 2" reach they are forced to fight the chaff. Should give you at least one turn of free rerolls to hit and wound with no danger from going second.

I guess it depends more on if you built skyfires or enlightened on disks.  If you built skyfires you can use the extra bitz to convert some tzaangors to enlightened on foot and get some extra mileage out of your kits.  Tactically they both have their uses.  I don't think either are a bad choice.

As has been the case for years, Decker's contributions are quite helpful...

I hadn't seriously considered the utility of Balewind Vortex in conjunction with our Herdstone/Primordial Call mechanic. The latter only requires the sacrificed unit to be within 3" of the Herdstonenot the Hero triggering the Primordial Call mechanic.

So, the 3" buffer against approaching units created by the Balewind Vortex does not prevent its Wizard (here, our Great Bray-Shaman) from feeding Ungors to the Herdstone. Simply place the Great Bray-Shaman on one side of the Herdstone, summon the Balewind Vortex so that it manifests within 3" of the Herdstone itself, and then ensure that the sacrificial Ungors are on the other side of the Herdstone within similar distance.

The doubling of spell distance, provided by the Balewind Vortex, now brings that Great Bray-Shaman back into the fight in robust ways. I needn't expect that Hero to simply spam Vicious Stranglethorns.

So, for my Marauding Brayherd list, I'll likely knock my two Raider units down to being Ungors, freeing up 40 points for Balewind Vortex. Those two units are intended to claim backfield objectives anyway, so no great loss.

Question: Does the Balewind Vortex, when a Wizard atop it casts Prismatic Palisades, increase the range within which I can place the Prismatic Palisades model from 18" to 36"?

10 minutes ago, Fazhak said:

As has been the case for years, Decker's contributions are quite helpful...

I hadn't seriously considered the utility of Balewind Vortex in conjunction with our Herdstone/Primordial Call mechanic. The latter only requires the sacrificed unit to be within 3" of the Herdstonenot the Hero triggering the Primordial Call mechanic.

So, the 3" buffer against approaching units created by the Balewind Vortex does not prevent its Wizard (here, our Great Bray-Shaman) from feeding Ungors to the Herdstone. Simply place the Great Bray-Shaman on one side of the Herdstone, summon the Balewind Vortex so that it manifests within 3" of the Herdstone itself, and then ensure that the sacrificial Ungors are on the other side of the Herdstone within similar distance.

The doubling of spell distance, provided by the Balewind Vortex, now brings that Great Bray-Shaman back into the fight in robust ways. I needn't expect that Hero to simply spam Vicious Stranglethorns.

So, for my Marauding Brayherd list, I'll likely knock my two Raider units down to being Ungors, freeing up 40 points for Balewind Vortex. Those two units are intended to claim backfield objectives anyway, so no great loss.

Question: Does the Balewind Vortex, when a Wizard atop it casts Prismatic Palisades, increase the range within which I can place the Prismatic Palisades model from 18" to 36"?

The BWV no longer doubles the range of a spell. Nor does it add 1 to the casting roll.  It adds 6" to the range, gives the guy on it cover, and gives the boon of being able to cast an extra spell. It also states that the vortex, as well as the guy on it, are "treated as a single model". Therefore, the whole, "Nyah ,Nyah, you can't get me up here" build is history.

It was nerfed, and rightfully so. But it's only 40 p now as an endless spell.

• Like 2

Tasman, thanks for that. Hadn't remembered to check for most recent printing. Linking most recent printing of Balewind Vortex here, to have it handy: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Malign_Sorcery_Balewind_Vortex.pdf

The 6" bonus still helps, as that buffs Devolve and Prismatic Palisades to 24". Even Wild Rampage becomes more useful, as I can hopefully make an 18" range work. Indeed, the extra spell once per turn is great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fazhak said:

Tasman, thanks for that. Hadn't remembered to check for most recent printing. Linking most recent printing of Balewind Vortex here, to have it handy: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//ENG_Malign_Sorcery_Balewind_Vortex.pdf

The 6" bonus still helps, as that buffs Devolve and Prismatic Palisades to 24". Even Wild Rampage becomes more useful, as I can hopefully make an 18" range work. Indeed, the extra spell once per turn is great.

Remember that the Balewind will not increase the "range" of Endless Spells. In fact, they do not have a range at all - only a distance they can be placed in when summoned. Typing from my mobile, so no reference. But you can check it in one of the latest FAQs.

11 hours ago, 123lac said:

Good, bad, average?

So far - fantastic. It isn't a 'kill' army by any stretch but my ability to take objectives effectively with dense cheap bodies has proven very effective. I've had a chance to play a few 'top tier' armies with the book and its performed very well for me. It did take a minute to get past the 'run, charge, fight' mentality because honestly the book isn't actually good at it. What I have found though is my board control is excellent, as is my ability to quickly establish buffers against my opponent being able to take objectives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwampHeart said:

So far - fantastic. It isn't a 'kill' army by any stretch but my ability to take objectives effectively with dense cheap bodies has proven very effective. I've had a chance to play a few 'top tier' armies with the book and its performed very well for me. It did take a minute to get past the 'run, charge, fight' mentality because honestly the book isn't actually good at it. What I have found though is my board control is excellent, as is my ability to quickly establish buffers against my opponent being able to take objectives. 

What list have you been running? 

45 minutes ago, scrollbuilderdude said:

What list have you been running? 

I've been experimenting a lot, that said I haven't moved away from a core of 30 gors and 10 units of Bestigors. That's been the base building block for every list - I've been going with a lot of Tzeentch lately. 

• Like 1