AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 minutes ago, Colonel Cabbage said:

No benefit? The batt is competitively priced for what it gives.

Once the FAQ lets BoK take the Battalion then we can have some fun!

Bloodsecrator works on all Khorne, so extra attacks, no battleshock, and relic banners (I’ll Taketo’s banner of rage to make the re-roll 1s to hit into re-roll all within 8”).

Bloodstoker works on all Khorne so +3 to run and charge, and re-roll 1s to wound.

Slaughterpriest prayers work on all Khorne too, so you can have +1 to saves, +1 to hit or D3 wounds healed for example.

Lots of options! :D

...gotta get that FAQ though.

No FAQ needed, it has the KHORNE keyword, that's all you need to join a Blades of Khorne army. Same as Maggotkin of Nurgle is just the NURGLE keyword or Disciples of Tzeentch is just the TZEENTCH keyword.

That's why you can include things like Slaves to Darkness models in the army directly

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lucio said:

No FAQ needed, it has the KHORNE keyword, that's all you need to join a Blades of Khorne army. Same as Maggotkin of Nurgle is just the NURGLE keyword or Disciples of Tzeentch is just the TZEENTCH keyword.

That's why you can include things like Slaves to Darkness models in the army directly

it needs a FAQ, because they come from a BOC battailion. CF the everchosen bataillion (that require only mortal khorne/nurgle/tzeentch/slaneesh units) that can't be included in a khorne/nurgle/tzeentch/slaneesh allegiance, because the V2 faq made them count as everchosen,  and so as allies

Hey Guys, quick question here.

i have a debate with someone about the wording of the great bray shamans spell ''devolve''

What is the spell actually doing?

1: beastmen player casts the spell, picks an appropriate enemy unit and the opponent moves his unit closer to YOUR CLOSEST FRIENDLY BEASTMEN-UNIT

or

2: beastmen player casts the spell, picks an appropriate enemy unit and the opponent moves his unit closer to HIS CLOSEST FRIENDLY  UNIT.

problem is the wording in both my and the english language.

from the warscroll:

Your
  opponent must move that unit up to 2D6"
  so that each model in the unit ends its move
as close as possible to a model from the
  friendly unit that was closest to it at the start
of the move.

thanks for any help regarding this issue.. i think its clearly nr.1.. but i it would be cool if you all could give me rules background for this.

Edited by RatmanRick

6 minutes ago, RatmanRick said:

Hey Guys, quick question here.

i have a debate with someone about the wording of the great bray shamans spell ''devolve''

What is the spell actually doing?

1: beastmen player casts the spell, picks an appropriate enemy unit and the opponent moves his unit closer to YOUR CLOSEST FRIENDLY BEASTMEN-UNIT

or

2: beastmen player casts the spell, picks an appropriate enemy unit and the opponent moves his unit closer to HIS CLOSEST FRIENDLY  UNIT.

problem is the wording in both my and the english language.

from the warscroll:

Your
  opponent must move that unit up to 2D6"
  so that each model in the unit ends its move
as close as possible to a model from the
  friendly unit that was closest to it at the start
of the move.

thanks for any help regarding this issue.. i think its clearly nr.1.. but i it would be cool if you all could give me rules background for this.

You are casting the spell, so friendly refeers to your units.

Just here to say that this army is really cool! Book has some fantastic rules, army seems legit to play to me.

Certainly wished that GW gave some new plastic heroes but this could all be added in the future too offcourse!

Still wonder what Lady Atia saw, in regards to 'Pestigors' as they don't seem to appear in Shadespire either... Which would have been my next best guess...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ledha said:

it needs a FAQ, because they come from a BOC battailion. CF the everchosen bataillion (that require only mortal khorne/nurgle/tzeentch/slaneesh units) that can't be included in a khorne/nurgle/tzeentch/slaneesh allegiance, because the V2 faq made them count as everchosen,  and so as allies

Another example is Nighthaunt.

You can take all the Souls Wars Nighthaunt models in Legions of Nagash. However if you try to use a Battalion from Battletome Nighthaunt, even if all units within said Battalion can be used in Legions of Nagash, they must eat into ally points (aka can't really take in a average 2k Matched Play game). Some LoN players who wanted to run Chainguard got really cheesed at that. Especially because most LoN battalions kind of...suck.

UNLESS the BoC implication is "This Battalion is both Beasts of Chaos AND [God Allegiance]". But it didn't seem too obvious.

14 minutes ago, Killax said:

Just here to say that this army is really cool! Book has some fantastic rules, army seems legit to play to me.

Certainly wished that GW gave some new plastic heroes but this could all be added in the future too offcourse!

Still wonder what Lady Atia saw, in regards to 'Pestigors' as they don't seem to appear in Shadespire either... Which would have been my next best guess...

Not sure if its AOS since its Bloodbowl, but the Nurgle Bloodbowl team has "Pestigors"...but they're really ugly almost bloated looking things. Not really ferocious looking, as compared to Tzaangors. But BB is technically a different universe.

Spoiler

01.jpg

99120901002_BBNurglesRottersTeam02.jpg

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

Pestigors (and their Khornate brethren, Khorngors) used to exist way back in the day when I first played WHFB in like.... 4th or 5th edition? I can't recall. You can still find them on eBay for absurd cost. I loved the models back in the day. Had a lot of flavor with tentacles, bloated bellies, etc. I certainly wouldn't complain if GW went back to adding some units like this. After seeing the treatment Tzaangors got, new Khorngors and Pestigors might be pretty pimp.

That said, this new book is awesome, and I can't wait to build up my army.

Pestigor.jpg

2 hours ago, Colonel Cabbage said:

No benefit? The batt is competitively priced for what it gives.

Once the FAQ lets BoK take the Battalion then we can have some fun!

Bloodsecrator works on all Khorne, so extra attacks, no battleshock, and relic banners (I’ll Taketo’s banner of rage to make the re-roll 1s to hit into re-roll all within 8”).

Bloodstoker works on all Khorne so +3 to run and charge, and re-roll 1s to wound.

Slaughterpriest prayers work on all Khorne too, so you can have +1 to saves, +1 to hit or D3 wounds healed for example.

Lots of options! :D

...gotta get that FAQ though.

No benefit to getting the Khorne keyword specifically, not the battalion. And of course, if the faq changes it, lots of options open up. That was my point!

6 minutes ago, Gildaheir said:

Pestigors (and their Khornate brethren, Khorngors) used to exist way back in the day when I first played WHFB in like.... 4th or 5th edition? I can't recall. You can still find them on eBay for absurd cost. I loved the models back in the day. Had a lot of flavor with tentacles, bloated bellies, etc. I certainly wouldn't complain if GW went back to adding some units like this. After seeing the treatment Tzaangors got, new Khorngors and Pestigors might be pretty pimp.

That said, this new book is awesome, and I can't wait to build up my army.

Yea I imagine modern god specific gors would be more dynamic, not that the old ones don't look good. They still look pretty great after all these years!

Googling pestigor conversions, it seems you can make a pretty decent ones by attaching gor heads and weapons onto plaguebearers.

7 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Guys, besides the gavespawn, out of the allherd and darkwalkers greatfray, which one do you think is better? I love both, feel that allherd might have the edge but having bullgors ambush with darkwalkers is my kinda game. Thoughts?

I think Allherd is a little trickier to use assuming you want to go all out on summoning so you'll need to save CP. But if you're going mostly Brayherd then I think its good.

Though Darkwalkers seem so cool to make your opponent to never feel safe, especially if its say a mixed Order list/Greywater that is relying on its Ironweld artillery.

9 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

I think Allherd is a little trickier to use assuming you want to go all out on summoning so you'll need to save CP. But if you're going mostly Brayherd then I think its good.

Though Darkwalkers seem so cool to make your opponent to never feel safe, especially if its say a mixed Order list/Greywater that is relying on its Ironweld artillery.

Wait, so when we have enough primordial points we still need to spend a CP to summon a new unit?

15 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Wait, so when we have enough primordial points we still need to spend a CP to summon a new unit?

No no no, the summoning itself is fine and dandy without CP.

But one of the biggest draws to Allherd is their unique command ability that generates a new summoning point. So one one hand you'll be starved of CP, but if you play your cards right thats an extra 2-4 summoning points which can be the difference in being able to summon a chimera or something.

That said you could ignore that if you roll good on herdstone sacrifices and just use Allherd for the better battleshock tests and the horde rending weapon.

Edited by kenshin620

I think darkstalkers is the way to play minotaur heavy lists, since their musician is +1 to charge. With cogs, you can ambush your Minos turn 1 or 2 needing a 5+ to reach combat (decide after seeing what screens your opponent has and whether you successfully cast cogs). Keep a spare CP for reroll charge and thats a very reliable charge in without taking any hits.

Desolating brayherd combines with it really well too - 2 hits per 6 to hit means I more hits that can roll 6's to wound, even with the weak horn attacks.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

I think darkstalkers is the way to play minotaur heavy lists, since their musician is +1 to charge. With cogs, you can ambush your Minos turn 1 or 2 needing a 5+ to reach combat (decide after seeing what screens your opponent has and whether you successfully cast cogs). Keep a spare CP for reroll charge and thats a very reliable charge in without taking any hits.

Desolating brayherd combines with it really well too - 2 hits per 6 to hit means I more hits that can roll 6's to wound, even with the weak horn attacks.

Yea thats my thoughts too, seems Desolation will be the go to battalion for brayherds and warherds, especially if you're ambushing.

Though one must remember the bonus only applies to enemy territory. Be careful of alpha strikes into your own or neutral territory! Then the battalion does nothing except for extra cp and artifact.

Erm, how about gavespawn + pestilant throng, some cheep heros (a few beast lords and a few brays) give 1 beast lord the wepon artifact (he has the most attacks so is most likely to gain the benifit and he has a reroll 1 to hit so is less likely to suffer

7 units of ungors, 7 chariots then add or take away what you fancy, you have 18 things that when removed on a 2+ ping a mortal wound to everything in an astounding 7" range 15 mw on average but thats to more than just the cloaest unit, your ambushing heros when killed also mostlikely produce spawn, witch can then buff the best surviving thing (with some pts one charit could ve made into a unit and then makes for a great buff target of the comand ability) 

Its raw damage output will be middling but not ignorable but the mw generation to everything around will hurt fast 

I will never do it, to expensive and no way i make and paint all that, but seems feesable

Edited by Izikail

6 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Guys, besides the gavespawn, out of the allherd and darkwalkers greatfray, which one do you think is better? I love both, feel that allherd might have the edge but having bullgors ambush with darkwalkers is my kinda game. Thoughts?

Im personally thinking ambushing Dragon Ogors will make people rethink their strategies lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lucio said:

Thats exactly how I read it. :)

4 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Im personally thinking ambushing Dragon Ogors will make people rethink their strategies lol

What do dragon ogres do better than bullgors as ambushers? They're much more resilient, but bullgors charge faster, have a smaller footprint, cause so much more damage, and heal when they kill.

I am so excited for this book to finally be out!!! I look forward to seeing what builds come out of all the cool stuff we can now take. I'll be starting with Darkwalkers with Brass Despoliers, ambushing Bullgors (for the reasons decker said) and running Bestigors across the table as they can go.  Gavespawn is also very tempting, purely for the amazing artefact. 

@decker_cky, I recognize your name from The Herdstone. Good to see you again!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Izikail said:

Erm, how about gavespawn + pestilant throng, some cheep heros (a few beast lords and a few brays) give 1 beast lord the wepon artifact (he has the most attacks so is most likely to gain the benifit and he has a reroll 1 to hit so is less likely to suffer

7 units of ungors, 7 chariots then add or take away what you fancy, you have 18 things that when removed on a 2+ ping a mortal wound to everything in an astounding 7" range 15 mw on average but thats to more than just the cloaest unit, your ambushing heros when killed also mostlikely produce spawn, witch can then buff the best surviving thing (with some pts one charit could ve made into a unit and then makes for a great buff target of the comand ability) 

Its raw damage output will be middling but not ignorable but the mw generation to everything around will hurt fast 

I will never do it, to expensive and no way i make and paint all that, but seems feesable

but that will be imposible to win blades of Khorne, I see the nurgle battalion as a way to use beastman in a maggotkin of nurgle list. Although the gavespawn can be very good specially focusing in the chaos spawn  buff and the beastlord with the artifact