AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea some quick googling found me some of these pics

Hide contents

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_1157.JPG

I think as long as it's a decently looking chariot with a Bestigor and Gor crew, anything goes!

Personally I'm using some Gorebeast Chariots for mine, partially because I've been able to get some cheaply, partially because the Gorebeast is an amazing model and partially because my "theme" is a Knightly Order of Nurgle pledged Beastmen

48 minutes ago, Lucio said:

Personally I'm using some Gorebeast Chariots for mine, partially because I've been able to get some cheaply, partially because the Gorebeast is an amazing model and partially because my "theme" is a Knightly Order of Nurgle pledged Beastmen

And partly because it's got "beast" right in the name.  Hahahaha

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adamtrunzo said:

A few questions:

If your Gavespwn hero turns into a spawn, is it a Gavespawn spawn? 

Are summoned units able to have the Gavespawn keyword (or any greatbray keyword for that matter)? 

The wording on the great bray shaman 'Infuse with Bestial Vigour' stipulates that it affects 'units wholly within 12" of any friendly Great-Bray Shamans'.  Does this mean that the unit has to be wholly within range of a single shaman or that overlapping shamans can fully cover a unit that a single shaman might not be able to?

The first two questions the answer would appear to be yes judging by the following in the Core Rules Designer's Commentary

Q: If I add units to my army after a battle has started, and 
my army has an allegiance ability that adds a keyword to the 
units in the army, is that keyword received by eligible units I 
add to my army after the battle has begun? For example, if I 
have a Stormcast Eternals army and use the Stormhosts rule to 
give all Stormcast Eternals units in the army the Hammers 
of Sigmar keyword, would any new Stormcast Eternals units 
that I add to my army get the keyword? By the same token, 
if an allegiance ability has a spell lore that grants a spell to 
Wizards in an army, do Wizards that I add to the army 
that have the appropriate allegiance gain a spell?
A: Yes to all questions.

As for the overlapping auras from Bray Shamans I would say we probably need a more specific answer on that but the below definition makes me think that if every model is covered it'd be valid even if by multiple Shamans

Q: When the word ‘any’ is used in the criteria for an ability, 
how many times is that ability applied when the criteria for 
the ability are fulfilled? For example, if an ability said ‘Add 
1 to hit rolls for models that are within 6" of any models with 
this ability’, would I add 1 to the hit rolls of a model that was 
within 6" of three models with the ability, or would I add 3 to 
the hit rolls?
A: The word ‘any’ is treated as being synonymous with 
‘one or more’. In your example, this means that 1 would 
be added to the hit rolls, not 3.

• Like 1

Wholly within is pretty self explanatory.  If you aren't wholly within the bubble of at least one shaman you get nothing.  Being partially in one shamans bubble and partially within another is not good enough. The key mechanic is now wholly within for a reason.  To limit buff ranges and make it more difficult to buff extremely large units or models. 

Edited by Kevlar1972
  • Like 1

I'm starting to get my stuff from the old days together: unpainted, partially painted, poorly painted.  About 15 Cow-boys, about 100 Goat-boys, and about 25* Dragon-boys.  Making matched heaps of models and bases (all of it will need new bases), putting aside whatever I don't have bases for yet.

Not going to actually work on anything beyond this until after we get the book.  All I need to buy is the book and a Herdstone - I am NOT the desired customer demographic for GW (or rather only secondarily desired, as I try my darnedest to grow my local AoS community).

*Soooooooo many metal Dragon Ogors.  I only currently have 18 bases of the right size**, so I stopped gathering arms and legs at that point.  I could probably get up to 30 if I ordered more bases and converted to replace a couple missing legs or arms.

*Right size:  for metal ones, I'm doing one size smaller than the plastic ones get, of which, BTW, I have 6 that will go on their proper sized bases.  Haters gonna hate.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bozly said:

How is the army looking so far as far as strength goes? Is this a tournament army or moreso a fun army?

Well I already mentioned this a while ago but I think power wise it's a 7.5-8.5 until we find out weird broken stuff. Like I don't think BoC will be DoK levels of power but definitely seems to be in a better spot than say Fyreslayers. Mostly everything in the book seems usable, kind of like LoN (technically LoN is very limited in competitive play with a few particular units being used over and over, but in fun games they are very solid).

Still wished Warhounds were a tad better.

1 hour ago, Swooper said:

Anyone watch the twitch stream today? I missed it. Did anything new get mentioned?

Was playing with my "freshly squeezed" new rules!! And won BTW! Gifts from the heavens and of course the two comets fell on the opposite side to where I have ambushed the majority of my units but managed to win at last turn due to summoning basically. To be honest I was only using the Allegiance traits (so summoning Herdstone and the traits for Brayherd and Warherd) as new rules, no artifacts, no freys, no spells, no battalions (just to get used to the new warscrolls before dive deep into the sea of options this book gives us). 

1. So what I saw is that we basically became a late game army; I ll explain:

- the herdstone is not particularly useful for his buffs until round 3 range is too short unless you are playing against khorne or IJ or armies that run toward you.

-if you roll bad on summoning points before turn 3 you cannot summon anything very beefy unless you play for it (so Allherd)(I manage barely to summon some bestigors turn 2). 

2. Bestigors are insane on the charge against 10+ models and even against single characters they can dash some substantial dmg (31 A 3+(4+)/3+/-1/1 are enough to deal a great amount of dmg rolling average). And to add ashes to the fire 10-men units are very good either for ambushing (so you can fit them well) or for the GBS buff. I think now max you might wanna field is 20 or else they are gonna attract too much fire and you loose them ez anyway;

3. Bullgors and Doombull are still underwhelming without buffs from artifacts ability and magic. The horns are good addition for Bullgors but you don t feel the difference on the Doombull. Need further investigation on that;

4. big nerf to GBS ability. I would have liked better "units  within 6"" rather than this as you HAVE to keep units close and if you don't is a big handbrake pull on your f1 car. BTW I managed t use Devolve spell this time and it changed my game but it has been one off, never managed to pull anything good out of it;

5. Summoning is gooooooood. Keep in mind I d rather we had some buff in stats than a summoning mechanics as I feel it is more thematic; nonetheless summoning won me the game as I summoned 10 Bestigors where I needed them and managed to charge them onto the objective for the score. Despite how good Gavespawn and Darkwalker look on paper I foresee Allherd being very competitive with the summoning mechanics being able to summon an average of 2 units every 2 turns one of them being a big monster!

I think this is it for now I am sure being able to use everything else I have not use will give us a ****** big boost in the next months. 

• Like 1

Allherd isn't even that much of a summoning boost. It can't combine with the shaggoth command traits for +d3 command points, so it's 1 per turn (plus maybe 1-2 from points and battalions you buy) if you want to burn your everything - that's still not enough to summon a monster every other turn let alone a monster and another unit every other turn.  What Allherd really opens is the capacity to boost up to a big monster turn 2 if you roll well and burn through all your command points, or to more reliably summon medium sized stuff. That's pretty good (other armies generally take 3 turns to get to the monster, or take 2 turns to get to a medium sized unit), but the downside of allherd is in all the other abilities:

• Bestial might is pretty good, but minor and situational. 
  • Dominator requires the general to be in combat (either charging that turn or from a previous turn) to do anything. 
  • Blade of the desecrator is a situational rend boost in an army full of rend boosts. 

The other two greatfrays are much stronger overall in my opinion.

edit: Doombull probably traded some a tiny bit offence  for survivability. 4+ save with the command ability to lower rend of attacks by 1 is pretty neat. Too bad there's no old ramhorn helm anymore. :P

Edited by decker_cky

14 minutes ago, peasant said:

Hi! I Have Another Doubt, Im The ashamed owner of 100+ unPainted gors, but no ungors, and no bestigors. What do You think of Plain gors? Do They are Worth or Better Skip them for bestigors?

I feel like Gors are kind of lacking a niche. Bestigors are just much better at killing stuff and not too much more expensive. And Ungors just seem like better value chaff.  Ungors with spears, due to their smaller base size and reach, actually outdamage Gors.  Ungors also bring more bodies to the table (good for holding objectives and making mortal wounds less useful), and are much cheaper. The only advantage Gors have is 4+ instead of 5+ save in combat, and slightly higher bravery. This is definitely good vs. high rend, but is it worth 10 extra points for 10 less bodies? I'm not sure yet.

And if you are taking small units of Gors for screens....why not just take Centigors? Same cost/wound but better attack profile, much more speed, and extra damage on the charge as well as the ability to buff their accuracy with drinking.

Edited by The_Yellow_Sign

50 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

I feel like Gors are kind of lacking a niche. Bestigors are just much better at killing stuff and not too much more expensive. And Ungors just seem like better value chaff.  Ungors with spears, due to their smaller base size and reach, actually outdamage Gors.  Ungors also bring more bodies to the table (good for holding objectives and making mortal wounds less useful), and are much cheaper. The only advantage Gors have is 4+ instead of 5+ save in combat, and slightly higher bravery. This is definitely good vs. high rend, but is it worth 10 extra points for 10 less bodies? I'm not sure yet.

And if you are taking small units of Gors for screens....why not just take Centigors? Same cost/wound but better attack profile, much more speed, and extra damage on the charge as well as the ability to buff their accuracy with drinking.

Thx for the Quick Answer... Is Too Bad because I Really Love The models and The Image of Some max-sized Gor Units in The battlefield.  Maybe I Can use them to Bubble Wrap My heroes and cygors.

This sunday I Will try to field 1k of gors Against a novice SCE player.  It Will Be Something like

2 beastlords

1 GBS

2x30 gors 

10 bestigors ( or doombull with gilded horns)

1 cygor

1 hour ago, Beltrajor said:

Does anyone know  what are the command traits and artifacts for doombulls?

I'm unable to find those anywhere!

Can’t remember the names but on YouTube guriella miniature wargaming does a whole book review and gives good insight. They are pretty rad traits for the doombull, one of the best ones being ‘reduce enemy rend by 1 when attacking you’ . (general)

or reroll failed charge rolls for general and fellow bullgors within a bubble of X”.

also, do we think brayherd armies are going to be the better sub allegiance in the book than the rest? They seem to have better traits and artefacts?