AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On September 13, 2018 at 2:57 AM, Charlo said:

The beasts plastic range is so much bigger than I ever thought...!

Yeah, and I have a ton of them. But unfortunately I tore all their weapons off, added las guns, shoulder pads and IG kit, and turned them into 40k abhumans. Gaaah!

• Like 1

Tzaangor enlightened on disc are really strong now - dropped 20 pts, gained brayherd and gained an attack. Also, they have three separate weapon profiles that benefit from +1 attack from  the gavespawn command ability (+1 attack to melee weapons on a unit wholly within 12" of a spawn at the start of a combat phase). If you can set it up so that benefit from their reroll ability, they'll do a lot of work. 

• Like 1

Guys, I’m new to chaos, especially BOC,  it as I have £300 to spend on BOC I just need a little background on this faction.

What’s our best battleline and why? 

If I take raiders should I max out on the unit size for rerolling 1’s and 2’s?

what GOR unit is best for what task?

finally, I am set on wanting to field a lot of bullgors and a doombull. Would you all say that this is a powerful combo to field?

1 hour ago, decker_cky said:

Allherd command ability is a trap - one command point is ~50 pts of benefit. One summoning point is ~20 pts of benefit. If you want ambushed monsters, I think buying said monster in Darkwalkers makes a lot more sense.  Where the command ability makes more sense is topping your summoning points off for a guaranteed turn 3 ghorgon or something.

That's not really how it works though. I mean yes, technically a command point is worth 50pts and they've scaled it to 20pts per point but that's an incorrect assessment. Outside of holding one for that bravery test you may need to take before the herdstone effects reach most of the table there isn't a ton in an Allherd list you'd want to use your command points on. Additionally you're not paying for that CP. It comes out of your allotment. To be fair you did touch on this but it's mostly to push you over to grab what you want. In this case it's more to ensure a cockatrice, chariot, or centigor can be summoned every turn from a random table edge. I doubt I'd ever personally hold them for over a turn but if I did it's because I generally was looking for a unit of dragon ogres or such to join up with my shaggoth :) If I want a big monster I just buy him. I see the summoning as useful for objective grabbing and harassment. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:24 AM, kenshin620 said:

By the way, anyone have any good plastic conversions of Jabbers? It is a little annoying to having to deal with a big hunk of finecast resin.

The easiest/cheapest are getting Manticore/Black Dragon kits off bitsellers/ebay. Manticore in particular are great conversion fodder, and I buy them whenever I can for peanuts.

I've converted 8 or so Jabbers for various people and you can make some really nice looking ones out of most oldhammer "big monster" kits. I'll see if I can get pics of the Black Dragon conversions I did. They're now in the hands of other people, but they've been to Adepticon and some belong to of one of the best Slaanesh players there.

Here's a Manticore one (based off a WoW wyvern) I'm not yet done with yet. He needs a longer tongue and some more GS work on the arms, I think.

wyvern.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Guys, I’m new to chaos, especially BOC,  it as I have £300 to spend on BOC I just need a little background on this faction.

finally, I am set on wanting to field a lot of bullgors and a doombull. Would you all say that this is a powerful combo to field?

Wait until the book drops. Until then it’s all kinds of more or less informed guesses. And to add to that... bestigors seem amazing :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Satyrical Sophist said:

Cross posting (really ineptly probably) from Tzeentch thread. Looking at some Tzaangor numbers. Will have a look at Bestigor in the morning. Love to have some thoughts.

I was hoping someone would run these soon. With the nerfs to Tzaangors we have to ask...who does it better? 

Tzaangors vs Bestigors. Tankier? Killier? Points efficient?

6 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

No matter what i would say at least 2 of the new Start Collecting. Then from there whatever you like.

Im a fan of DragonO's and Bulls. 

Cuz nothing raises the eyebrow and says 'wtf' like surprise ambushing sentient animals the size of suv's

1 minute ago, The Darkest Soul said:

So now that we know all the command traits what's everyone thinking for a general?

The Shaggoth seems like a really solid pick with his trait that gives extra command points plus the rend spell he can take.

I don't really like it from a fluff perspective, but being a wizard now his utility is awesome!

Yeah Shaggoth seems really good! It's all Ogor now.

9 minutes ago, Dracan said:

So what is the fate of the slaughter brute and vortex beast?

If they are not beasts of chaos and dont seem to be on GW site anymore are they OOP?

There warscrolls still have the monsters of chaos key word but not BoC so can they be played as anything but allies?

They are supposed to be going to Khorne and Tzeentch, respectively IIRC.

So, building an Order of the Flies themed army, mixing in Chaos Warrior, Knights and Chariot models to keep the feel of a bestial knightly order (as Gors/Bestigors, Centigors and Razigor Charriots)

How could I convert some of the larger models into the army?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Saiken said:

I'm trying to think about what could work while waiting for the book to drop.
But, do you think that Dragon Ogors are best used at MSU, just like Bullgors ?

I'd like a Thunderscorn heavy list as I love the models, and now they seem to be viable again !

No, units of 6 to make them easier to buff with your Shoggoth.

With a cunning mix of Saraus warrior and maurauder you could also build some Bestigor or Gors which are lizard legs and human torsos to fit into the army theme

13 minutes ago, Lucio said:

No, units of 6 to make them easier to buff with your Shoggoth.

With a cunning mix of Saraus warrior and maurauder you could also build some Bestigor or Gors which are lizard legs and human torsos to fit into the army theme

Love the idea of lizard beastmen from seraphon models

6 hours ago, Dracan said:

So what is the fate of the slaughter brute and vortex beast?

If they are not beasts of chaos and dont seem to be on GW site anymore are they OOP?

There warscrolls still have the monsters of chaos key word but not BoC so can they be played as anything but allies?

I think the SB and MVB have perma-moved to their respective god faction, mostly because I think their fluff attached them to Warriors rather than Beasts.

Weird they aren't in the AOS section, they seem perfectly fine in the Thousand Sons storepage (yes they exist in 40k as well), and still have their warscrolls (or at least the MVB) there.

Edited by kenshin620

So excited for the new beasts army book. Two things...

Firstly, the GMG Review of the codex emphasized the herdstone being a "reduce the armor save of the opponent by one," but the webstore warscroll says it's a -1 to the save. Any clarity on this? I'm asking because I'm curious if it will ultimately affect nighthaunt.

Secondly, what are people's thoughts on the cygor? I love the model, but I'm curious if it's at all useful. Based on the warscroll, my hope is that it's very cheap?