AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

What makes this new release quite interesting imo is the fair value of the SC box. Two of them (with the Herdstone) would make an efficient 1000pt start with 2 Shamans to get the brand new spells off, a big unit of 20 Bestigors, 20 expendable Ungors and 2 monsters. Including such useful (and adaptable) units in relevant unit numbers is very cool. :)

2 hours ago, Galas said:

Does anybody know good sustitutes for Centigors? I love the models but 5 resin monopose models for 50€?! Is a big nono. Specially when very cool and more modern cavalry like Chaos Knights are 10 multiplastic models for 40€.

I guess you could try chopping up wild riders and gors? Though that's pretty expensive in itself.

If you're allowed no gw stuff well Runewars has some upcoming centaurs. They're more good guy looking but maybe a different paintjob and some extra bitz will make them more chaosy. Although they come in packs of 4. Runewars stuff tends to be $25 USD a box. EDIT ahh these guys are bigger than the average box so its $35, though FFG stuff tends to be discounted on online retailers.

rwm35_box_left.png

rwm35_ventala-skirmishers_group.png

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Galas said:

Hmmm not a bad option. Not specially good looking but thanks. 

Looking for Centigors alternatives I have found the severe lack of good Centaurs sculpts out there.

Yea unfortunately  theres no Mass Combat Greek Mythos game out there (wargods was probably the closest)

And BoC aren't that popular enough for the 9th Age supporting companies to make their own totally not centigors.

Interestingly enough I remember a few months ago, long before BoC announcement, some people on Kickstarter were trying to crowdfund multipart Satyrs/Fauns. But I dont think that got funded.

I also feel like Warhounds should be battleline. (For both BoC and Slaves/DO)

Dire Wolves are one of the best battleline for undead, because they're cheap, they're fast (for undead) and they have the summonable keyword/buffs.

Flesh Hounds are now always battleline for khorne, giving khorne a cheap msu battleline option with a decent combat profile and the ability to unbind magic (how many battleline units can claim to do that?).

Warhounds only have their "always 6" run" going for them. I mean that sounds great, but it looks like you'll be able to flood the battlefield anyways with ambushers, centigors, and flying monsters. It doesn't help that warhounds have a pretty low bravery score vs flesh hounds/dire wolves (4 vs 10). Granted those are daemons/undead so it makes sense but I'm not sure how many warhound units will show up. Kind of a shame that it seems like they're an afterthought, but maybe I'm missing something. I guess warhounds are always suppose to be Fast Chaff/Screens. Maybe they should have had a "master" rule? So like they can buff their bravery if near HEROs?

• Like 3

Photo+14-09-2018%252C+13+19+52.jpg

Looking at the chart, I think it will be a legitimate tactic to summon a chariot most every turn and suicide charge it into something.  Reroll charge means decent chance of succeeding, and you should be able to position it so that even if you fail the charge your opponent needs to commit to it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, decker_cky said:

Looking at the chart, I think it will be a legitimate tactic to summon a chariot most every turn and suicide charge it into something.  Reroll charge means decent chance of succeeding, and you should be able to position it so that even if you fail the charge your opponent needs to commit to it.

The only problem with that is how bad it looks lol

I'm wondering actually if I go BoC. In fact, I'm thinking about my first thought: will I take 3 SC for a no brainer solid backbone army which would be super fun (with 3 biggies, 2 of which are rock catapulter hitter smashers) and high magic with 3 shamans!

I just have to add one bihg hero (thinking about the sagosht or eventually the bigg bull) and eventually one of his heavy hitter (dragors or bullgors) and then done.

The paint job? white nudercoad, a heavy army painter wash ink, fast basing,  and pretty much done.

Edited by GeneralZero

1 minute ago, Ragnar72 said:

More pictures from the book ?

http://www.hobby-hammer.co.uk/2018/09/review-chaos-battletome-beasts-of-chaos.html

Also, no graphics, but this video goes through all the content (including details of battalions I haven't seen elsewhere). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUUx4jEo0ig

Standouts IMO are Khorne, slaanesh and Desolating beastherd

Desolating beastherd

1 beastlord or doombull

1-3 GBS

1-3 Bestigors or bullgors

1-3 Gors or tuskgors

2-6 ungors or raiders

0-1 Ghorgon or Cygor

150 pts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

So many winners in the book I guess there needs to be one dud!

Like you say they're still super fast.

Yea, though the Beastlord Command Trait shouldn't be so stupidly convoluted!

While it is still a week before any real games, I think this book is a solid 7.5-8.5 in both power and balance. I doubt you'll be able to One Round Nagash without a massive deathstar nor will the army be as obnoxious as Daughters of Khaine, but it seems to be in a very much better spot than the current Brayherd/GA Chaos (though gonna miss that Crown of Command). And I think Tzaangors are finally in "good but not MUST AUTO INCLUDE IN EVERY TZEENTCH LIST".

I mean obviously it could have been a tad better (kind of surprising only 4 heroes, and all 4 have no alternative options in terms of mounts and weapons), but better than nothing!

Also I was surprised there isn't a Feral Manticore option, but is that because the Manticore looks funny without a rider?

5 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Agreed, i think the best options for summoning are going to be chariots or ungors/ungor raiders to pick off support units and grab objectives by mid game. Coming from Maggotkin, BoC summoning looks so much more versatile and interesting.

Edited by Pangu

After listening to a review and reading the War-of-Sigmar review I'm thinking something along these lines;

Allegiance: Brayherd

Going to start with Allherd so essentially 2+d3 summon points per turn with one in reserve for passing bravery tests. I'm tempted by the teleporting unit ability from Darkwalkers 

Leaders
Beastlord (80) - +1 Damage & MW on 6 Weapon
- Pair of Man-ripper Axes
Great Bray Shaman (100) - Extra -1 to Save w/in 12" Spell (because he hangs out with the herdstone)
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180) - Extra Rend Spell - Required Artifact (-1 Rend 10-19, -2 Rend 20+)

Battleline

30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
30 x Gors (210)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

Units
10 x Centigors (160)
10 x Centigors (160)

Behemoths
Ghorgon (200)

Battalions

Desolating Beastherd (150)

Drops: 4
Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 184

I could swap the Ghorgon for a Chimera with the spare points and increase by a drop. Which might be a direction I take given how much they buffed the Chimera.

Allherd command ability is a trap - one command point is ~50 pts of benefit. One summoning point is ~20 pts of benefit. If you want ambushed monsters, I think buying said monster in Darkwalkers makes a lot more sense.  Where the command ability makes more sense is topping your summoning points off for a guaranteed turn 3 ghorgon or something.

@Pangu Bestigors, ungors, raiders, enlightened on foot and chariots were the standouts for me in terms of summoning. I think you want to get things on the table early enough to get off the sidelines ASAP rather than save up for a late game monster.