AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

10 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Good catch - misread that on the screen capture I had. 

My list total is still right because I noticed I only included points for 4 chariots.  300 pt bestigors is awesome though - that's got to be one of the best point for point damage output units in the game and opens up wildstalker lists like this: 

30 gors 210
30 gors 210
10 gors 80
10 ungors 60
10 ungors 60
10 raiders 80
10 raiders 80
3 x 1 chariot  120
beastlord  90
gbs  100
gbs  100
wildstalker brayherd   210
30 bestigors   300
30 bestigors   300
Total  2000

Im afraid chariots are 60 pts so you only can bring 2 of them. But thats an awesome gathering of the herd power! your opponent will be afraid of the might kf the true sons of CHAOS!

4 hours ago, Blightlord said:

Realized after looking over my list I don't think it would be legal with a Warherd Allegiance. Below is the new list with Grand Alliance Chaos as the allegiance. I lowered the Bestigors to 10, and split the Gors into 3 groups of 10 for battle line purposes.  With the new points this should get me to 1900, which would allow me to get up to 50 points worth of Endless Spells, and 1 Command Point at the start of the game.?

Allegiance: Chaos

Doombull (120)

- General

- Axe & Shield

Great Bray Shaman (90)

Great Bray Shaman (90)

Doombull (120)

- Great Axe

10 x Gors (80)

- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

10 x Gors (80)

10 x Gors (80)

6 x Bullgors (360)

- Great Axes

3 x Bullgors (180)

- Great Axes

10 x Bestigors (140)

Cygor (200)

Ghorgon (200)

Jabberslythe (120)

Jabberslythe (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000 (1900 w/ new points)

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 150

If i'm correct (someone dropped all the point leaks on Reddit), Jabberslythe went up 20 points and now costs 140 !

9 hours ago, Blightlord said:

Realized after looking over my list I don't think it would be legal with a Warherd Allegiance. Below is the new list with Grand Alliance Chaos as the allegiance. I lowered the Bestigors to 10, and split the Gors into 3 groups of 10 for battle line purposes.  With the new points this should get me to 1900, which would allow me to get up to 50 points worth of Endless Spells, and 1 Command Point at the start of the game.?

Allegiance: Chaos

Doombull (120)

- General

- Axe & Shield

Great Bray Shaman (90)

Great Bray Shaman (90)

Doombull (120)

- Great Axe

10 x Gors (80)

10 x Gors (80)

10 x Gors (80)

6 x Bullgors (360)

- Great Axes

3 x Bullgors (180)

- Great Axes

10 x Bestigors (140)

Cygor (200)

Ghorgon (200)

Jabberslythe (120)

Jabberslythe (120)

Total: 1980 / 2000 (1900 w/ new points)

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 150

So, as far as I know if the Allegiance is Warherd, the previous list was correct as far as battleline, as bullgors count as BL in Warherd armies. As per allies points you were over 400 so should everything keep the same with the new GHB, you will have to cut on the gors but now Bestigors are 300 for 30!!!!!! (I am quite sure they dropped 20 pts) (which is insane) and alongside one GBS will be 400 pts on the dot of allies. As per Jabberslythes then yeah, if you need them you will have to drop the Warherd allegiance as there will be too may allies if not.

Although still, if going Chaos GA I advise to find space for a big unit of Bestigor as they are an absolute MUST in a Beast armies IMO, I think there will not be a more cost effective 300 pts in the game!! 

6 hours ago, Saiken said:

If i'm correct (someone dropped all the point leaks on Reddit), Jabberslythe went up 20 points and now costs 140 !

Ahh in that case  it would bring  me up to 1940, so either a command point or an endless spell,  the Cogs +2 to move and charge would be nice with this army to get them in combat, and once in can use the 1 additional spell option instead.

Edited by Blightlord
added missing letter/word

In my 1500 pt Brayherd list I dropped down to 1390 pts which give me the space for 1 or 2 endless spells and a command point to spend on one of my doombulls. The list translates in:

GBS  general, Scion of the dark gods 100

GBS   (could do Brayblast trumpet or idk if they are gonna change anything in the artifacts department) 100

Doombull  great axe   120

Doombull   pair of axes   120

30xGors   210

20xGors   160

30xBestigors 300

20xUngor raiders   160

Tuskgor chariot   60

Tuskgor chariot   60

1390/1500

Allies 240/300

The idea is to get half of the opponent's army stuck with the gors and take space on the board with the chariots (either to absorb charges or to deny options of movement to big models). The other half will have to deal with 30 bestigors and 2 madcows rolling across the table. Everything supported by my 2 GBS which in theory will remain in range of the Braystone being able to add +2 to casting and +1 to unbinding. 

As per the remaining points I am planning on bringing a spell that will allow me to get not over 1450 to be able to have that 1 more command point and rain havoc at the right moment (depending on the match I might be able to save my first command point so that in turn 2 I have 3 available and, Khorne forbid I need to use the re-roll charge CA or the run 6" one, at least I will be sure to get in CC when I please).

• Like 1

Best part of 300 pts for 30 bestigors is that it lets you fit 30 bestigors and a bray shaman in the allies allowance. Perfect addition to any army that can take brayherd allies and needs a fast hard-hitting unit (and adding devolve to isolate units is a potent tool).

For the same reason, I'm really disappointed that bullgors aren't 140 pts which would have allowed  6 bullgors and a doombull in 400 pts - a perfect ally to slot in most anywhere. 

@Frozenbeast: What do the doombulls do? They're not actually that killy for their points. In a list that's all brayherd, if you want to add some hard hitters, take a couple units of 10 bestigors (or a single unit of 20) for the same cost.

• Like 1

Target saturation; something for my opponent to think about as the two of them together hit hard (especially with an enemy unit hit by devolve that unwillingly moves toward them). I know they are not the best choice as allies but they did well recently, plus I spent a butt-load of money on those two plus other minos from a Kickstarter and the models are awesome and I wanna play them?.

• Like 1

So...I really wanted a warherd in v1 but never had the balls to paint up an army I knew kind of sucked. With V2 though I'm all in for the fun and also think this isn't that bad....what do you all think? (points left off so I don't spoil for people who don't want to know) 

Doombull

Doombull

Great bray shaman

6 Bullgor

6 Bullgor

6 Bellgor

30 Bestigor

Either a Ghorgon and a Cygor with 20pts spare for a spell or...

two Cygor with 40pts spare...cogs I think is around 40 and would help with movement.

• Like 1

@Lardidar: Bestigors and Bullgors really do the same thing, so it probably makes more sense to take cheaper units with bigger numbers to best support the bullgors rather than the hittiest unit. I think a unit of 30 raiders plus  a unit of 20 raiders might work to support a warherd army (or even just a bunch of gors/ungors).

I'm liking the idea of double cygors to make magic heavy armies uncomfortable. 

Edited by decker_cky

14 hours ago, Lardidar said:

So...I really wanted a warherd in v1 but never had the balls to paint up an army I knew kind of sucked. With V2 though I'm all in for the fun and also think this isn't that bad....what do you all think? (points left off so I don't spoil for people who don't want to know) 

Doombull

Doombull

Great bray shaman

6 Bullgor

6 Bullgor

6 Bellgor

30 Bestigor

two Cygor with 40pts spare...cogs I think is around 40 and would help with movement.

12 hours ago, decker_cky said:

@Lardidar: Bestigors and Bullgors really do the same thing, so it probably makes more sense to take cheaper units with bigger numbers to best support the bullgors rather than the hittiest unit. I think a unit of 30 raiders plus  a unit of 20 raiders might work to support a warherd army (or even just a bunch of gors/ungors).

I'm liking the idea of double cygors to make magic heavy armies uncomfortable. 

If you play Warherd allegiance you cannot fit 3xraiders+20xraiders instead of the Bestigors, as with the GBS it will be 500 pts and the limit is 400, so you either take the magic and 30xraiders ad you have more points for ES or you go heavy on the Bestigor and the GBS (which is 400pts). Or last option is you saturate with raiders and forget the magic (so yes, 3xraiders+20xraiders will give you 400pts but you lose on magic).

And btw I sorta disagree regarding Bullgors and Bestigors doing the same thing. Bestigora are a lot more tank-y and the amount of wound they produce is insane regardless of if they attack first or they strike after the opponent does. Plus they have the advantage of the number so they can stick on objectives forever. Bullgors for more points have less wound, less armor and less dmg output (unless you use abilities in them). That said I love me some Bullgors either in a Warherd or in a Brayherd army because on the flavor they give to the army.

Speaking of Cygors I love the idea of moving catapults with the threat for enemy mages, and now the threat got extended to 30" so no wizard will be immune to them no more. The higher the amount of spells you can cast the higher the chance of failing the cast and taking a MW (or two if you field more Cygors). Plus they re-roll failed hitts against mages so every boulder that they throw will be directed at a mage (Nagash, Archaon, tzeentch chicken are all very nice targets as they do not benefit from "look-out sir", and the list can continue, Grandpa Nurgle, Arkhan and the mortarks, Slaans, big Morathi.....). I will definitely try with one at least but two is veeery tempting. They received a pretty big buff in the new edition. 

1 hour ago, Blightlord said:

For Bullgors and the Doombulls are the two Weapons or the shield option worth taking? Looks like just about every list I see uses the great axe.

I chose great weapons because I use them to deal with tough models in my mostly brayherd army so I wanted the extra rend and damage. However, when I've played with only warherd they have felt rather fragile so I think that the shields would be a good alternative for a pure warherd army. I know from using gors with shields that they make a big difference in survivability. I didn't ever consider dual weapons because to me +1 save is a lot better than reroll 1 to hit.

• Like 1

I've always considered the beastlord's command ability lackluster because it relied on your general getting in and killing something in combat, but I just realised that under the new rules, having any one of several beastlords kill in combat is enough to trigger the command ability. That's a BIG boost to the list overall, and probably justifies taking 2-3 beastlords in a pure brayherd list. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 7:18 AM, Saiken said:

- Jabberslythe (for the nasty damage)

Jabbers show up in nearly all Brayherd, some Warherd and even armies like Host of Slaanesh.  Very good.

On 6/23/2018 at 1:15 PM, decker_cky said:

Best part of 300 pts for 30 bestigors is that it lets you fit 30 bestigors and a bray shaman in the allies allowance. 

@Frozenbeast: What do the doombulls do? They're not actually that killy for their points. In a list that's all brayherd, if you want to add some hard hitters, take a couple units of 10 bestigors (or a single unit of 20) for the same cost.

Never noticed that about Bestigors now.  Not a bad option to consider since I was taking 30 Gors and a Brayshaman previously.

Yes they are very killy for their points.  Doombulls with a lucky roll will hit and wound on 2s with -2 rend and 3 DMG.  They also make better generals since they have 9 wounds.

Also glad to see you back Decker :)

19 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I chose great weapons because I use them to deal with tough models in my mostly brayherd army so I wanted the extra rend and damage. 

Rend is king.  Plus 3 dmg doesn't hurt

10 hours ago, decker_cky said:

I've always considered the beastlord's command ability lackluster because it relied on your general getting in and killing something in combat, but I just realised that under the new rules, having any one of several beastlords kill in combat is enough to trigger the command ability. That's a BIG boost to the list overall, and probably justifies taking 2-3 beastlords in a pure brayherd list. 

I've been thinking about multiple Beastlords lately.  The models are just beautiful and I have a few more kicking around I would like to use.  Like mini-doombulls.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:30 PM, Lardidar said:

Doombull

Doombull

Great bray shaman

6 Bullgor

6 Bullgor

6 Bellgor

30 Bestigor

I ran:

3 Doombulls,

3 x 3 Bullgors (GWs)

3 Ghorgons

30 Gors

Great Bray-Shaman.

The screening Gors is the missing component to killing power of the bulls.  I've never been able to make 6-man Bullgor units work, you just loose 3-4 of them but have less room for more doombulls and ghorgons.

11 hours ago, decker_cky said:

I don't really get why this would work, could you develop your reasoning?

If I'm not mistaken the wording is the following : " A Beastlord can use this ability if any attacks it made in the previous turn resulted in an enemy model being slain".
Doesn't it suggest that it's actually the same Beastlord ?

What in the new rules are you refering to ?

Yeah, the Beatlord doesn't have to be the general now, but it still has to kill an enemy itself in order to activate its command ablity. That's still a big improvement, of course, and I can definitely see running a couple of them being worth it.

• Like 1

Hello everyone, ive been considering a Warherd army as my second one. A battalion called Bullscorch Bulltribe called my eye as it gives them Khorne keyword, but afaik its not allowed in matched play due to lack of points. Any info if such battalions will be viable in 2.0?

23 minutes ago, EddieWouldGo said:

Hello everyone, ive been considering a Warherd army as my second one. A battalion called Bullscorch Bulltribe called my eye as it gives them Khorne keyword, but afaik its not allowed in matched play due to lack of points. Any info if such battalions will be viable in 2.0?

Most likely not. None of the realmgate war battalions have gotten points and the leaked pictures from the new general handbook did not have any battalions for warherd. Which is a shame because there are several cool battalions like that and the giant king that would be fun to be able to use.

Thoughts on this list???

90 points left over = 1 command point and 40 points worth of endless spells

Allegiance: Brayherd

Leaders
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- General
- Trait: Scion of the Dark Gods 
Great Bray Shaman (100)

Great Bray Shaman (100)
Beastlord (90)
- Man-render Great Axe
- Artefact: Herdstone Axe 
Beastlord (90)
- Man-render Great Axe

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)
20 x Ungor Raiders (160)
30 x Gors (210)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields

Units
4 x Tuskgor Chariots (240)

Behemoths
Cygor (180)
- Allies
Cygor (180)
- Allies

Total: 1910 / 2000
Allies: 360 / 400

Edited by Agent of Chaos
  • Like 1

@Agent of Chaos

It's a Good List.  I personally think you should swap out 1 Beastlord and Shaman for either another unit of Gors, Ungor or increase both Raider Units to 30,

I like the 4 Chariots (you should split them into 2 lots of 2) and 2 Cygors both of which got a boost this edition for different reasons. The Chariots where already great previous edition with 6 wounds and great at locking up both lane-ways and board control. This edition they are even better due to their speed at running down enemy range attacks.  Cygor this edition help control what magic is thrown on the field and with endless spells there will be allot it around for a while.  Having 2 unbinds each is one of the reasons I've suggested you drop a Shaman, dropping 2nd Beastlord just because they still aren't great. 

I personally am thinking of taking below list.

Mutalith and Endless are completely unknown to me as I've never tested either previously. 

Ungor I've always used to great effort by placing near  herdstone and form a meat barrier to all my range attacks.

Using them in conjunction with Inspire makes it very difficult for enemy to get through them to raiders, Cygor and/or Shaman. 

Chariots most games depending on situation have used as pathway blockers slowing enemy even further down while range attacks whittle away. the enemy.

I won  last local Sigmar Tournament I played doing exactly this method. 

Allegiance: Brayherd

Leaders

Great Bray Shaman (100)

Great Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline

30 x Bestigors (300)

40 x Ungors (200)

- Shortspears & Half-Shields

30 x Ungor Raiders (240)

30 x Ungor Raiders (240)

30 x Ungor Raiders (240)

Units

1 x Tuskgor Chariots (60)

1 x Tuskgor Chariots (60)

Behemoths

Cygor (180) - Ally

Mutalith Vortex Beast (200) - Ally

Endless Spell

Balewind Vortex (40)

Aethervoid Pendulum (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Allies: 380 / 380

Wounds: 208

P.S> Love how the Herdstone rules have changed slightly that they can any where in development zone rather than within range of general. Frees up General to ambush now. Helps also having Bestigors becoming battleline and more importantly the significant point drop has made them quite viable now. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Lakides said:

P.S> Love how the Herdstone rules have changed slightly that they can any where in development zone rather than within range of general. Frees up General to ambush now. Helps also having Bestigors becoming battleline and more importantly the significant point drop has made them quite viable now. 

I don't really care about ambushing generals (much less important now too since non-generals can use command abilities).

I think the herdstone deployment rules are worse than GHB2017, since it allowed you deploy much further forward. Under the old rules, it could be ~10" beyond your deployment zone (general at edge of the deployment zone, nearest edge of a 4" herdstone deployed 6" out.  

The advantage now is that the herdstone deployment isn't tied to the general, so is more flexible. 

In most cases it's not a major difference, but there's some battle plans where the herdstone is forced to deploy way too far back (for example, total conquest and relocation orb).

4 hours ago, decker_cky said:

I don't really care about ambushing generals (much less important now too since non-generals can use command abilities).

I think the herdstone deployment rules are worse than GHB2017, since it allowed you deploy much further forward. Under the old rules, it could be ~10" beyond your deployment zone (general at edge of the deployment zone, nearest edge of a 4" herdstone deployed 6" out.  

The advantage now is that the herdstone deployment isn't tied to the general, so is more flexible. 

In most cases it's not a major difference, but there's some battle plans where the herdstone is forced to deploy way too far back (for example, total conquest and relocation orb).

I  think deployment zone is good for Herdstone what is worst is the rules for special scenaries (Damned, Inspiring, etc...) as now only units within 1", either friends or foes, suffer the effects of it an it means our GBS are forced very near to it.

Ambushing Beastlord are good if they are not the general as they are as expendable as every other beast in your army.

So I have been looking for all the other warscrolls we could include in ours beast lists and I came across something we already talked about previously but the rules were of dodgy interpretation. I am talking about Skin Wolves. I saw they have looked into their warscroll and changed it a bit. It is true they have increased the pt cost to 160 and removed  the -1 Bravery within 3", although now they are 4A (nothing new here) 3+ 3+ -1 2 they also have the similar (I would say better) rule to bullgors' (every unmodified 6 on HIT rolls generate 2 hits instead). 

I think they might be a good addition to our bestial ranks. What do you guys think?