AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

How worthwhile is a Warherd based army?

just bought 3 units of Bullgors, 4 Ghorgon/Cygors (2 of each), and beautifully converted each version of Ogroids into Doombulls (one with magic item to become a sorcerer). I didn’t really get it to be powerful on the table, I just really wanted an army of Minotaurs on the display shelf, and if it’s playable as well, all the better

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

just bought 3 units of Bullgors, 4 Ghorgon/Cygors (2 of each), and beautifully converted each version of Ogroids into Doombulls (one with magic item to become a sorcerer). I didn’t really get it to be powerful on the table, I just really wanted an army of Minotaurs on the display shelf, and if it’s playable as well, all the better

Warherd is good. I wouldn't leave home without at least 12 bullgors (2 squads of 6), and typically run 18 (+dragon ogres and chaff). Cygor leaves something to be desired but the Ghorgon isn't bad if you can get it into the right units. I also usually give my Doombull the Arcane tome so having a wizard version works pretty well. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pariah7echo said:

Warherd is good. I wouldn't leave home without at least 12 bullgors (2 squads of 6), and typically run 18 (+dragon ogres and chaff). Cygor leaves something to be desired but the Ghorgon isn't bad if you can get it into the right units. I also usually give my Doombull the Arcane tome so having a wizard version works pretty well. 

Sounds good, so I’m off to a decent start. I actually have two chimeras as well, a cockatrice, the despoilers warband, a beast Lord and a shaman. Plus 8 old Gors from the Battlemasters game (need 2 more for a chaff unit)

I like my Great Axe Bullgors in units of 3, and my axe/shield Bullgors in a unit of 9 (as they're meant to be more tanky).  I might also recommend allying in a Mindstealer Sphiranx or two, as they help the Warherd to their work before the enemy can strike back.  The Wildfire Taurus spell is also good at that, but relying on magic (that you have to pay extra for) isn't always the best bet.  

I have found the very cheap Cygor to be useful just for unbinding attempts, and it's caused some handy MW on a few occasions, and it's good for doing the Primordial Call Monstrous Action, letting the Ghorgon do it's thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I like my Great Axe Bullgors in units of 3, and my axe/shield Bullgors in a unit of 9 (as they're meant to be more tanky).  I might also recommend allying in a Mindstealer Sphiranx or two, as they help the Warherd to their work before the enemy can strike back.  The Wildfire Taurus spell is also good at that, but relying on magic (that you have to pay extra for) isn't always the best bet.  

I have found the very cheap Cygor to be useful just for unbinding attempts, and it's caused some handy MW on a few occasions, and it's good for doing the Primordial Call Monstrous Action, letting the Ghorgon do it's thing.

I do have a Sphyrinx, as well as the full S2D line. I can work that in. Maybe a Fomoroid Crusher too?

are Bullgors worth anything w/dual weapons? Rerolling 1s? Or is that a waste in 3.0?

I have 10 Bullgors, so I made it so I could switch one champion out. Great weapons or dual wielding. 

Edited by TimeToWaste85

1 hour ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

I do have a Sphyrinx, as well as the full S2D line. I can work that in. Maybe a Fomoroid Crusher too?

are Bullgors worth anything w/dual weapons? Rerolling 1s? Or is that a waste in 3.0?

I have 10 Bullgors, so I made it so I could switch one champion out. Great weapons or dual wielding. 

The Fomoroid doesn't bring much to the table I'm afraid, though I do like the model and have him just aiming for the enemy backfield as a monkey-wrench.  But for Beasts, I'd probably just bring a Cockatrice instead for the points.

Dual weapons are good on the Bullgors now that they're rend-2 base, but the rend-3 of the current great axes amidst the Herdstone is so good.  And then to rend-4 turn 3 I think now?  Crazy sharpening tech in the herds!

I love my Warherd in units of three with great weapons. They work as pairs right behind each other, so that the opponent can hardly delete all of them and always gets punched back. They are very dangerous- except for Nighthaunt when the opponent knows how to roll 5+ 😬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

So I guess I shouldn’t sell that 4th unit that I got. Started late, found two Butcher Herd BR boxes and was only going to go minimal so planned to sell the fourth unit of Bullgors. I guess I’ll “sword and board” them. 

Shields are the worst option currently. Only get the +1 save in combat so against any shooting you're stuck with the 5+ anyway. Dual axes or great axes are better every time. I'd argue this is true for every beastmen unit that can get a shield except for Tzaangors. 

+1 for the Sphinx. Getting to swing with multiple units before strike back will win you games. Most of our units are glass cannons, they want to swing first so getting to do it multiple times is amazing. 

So looks like I’ve got this now for 2k (just bought 2 boxes of Dr-Ogors):

doombull

doombull sorc

Bullgors x3 (GWs)

bullgors x3(Add. HW)

bullgors x3 (either GW or AHW)

Bullgors x3 (unbuilt)

ghorgon x2

cygor x2

cockatrice

sphyrinx

dragon ogors x3 

dragon ogors x3

grashrek’s despoilers 

shaman

2k on the dot. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 6:45 AM, TimeToWaste85 said:

I would run it to have fun.  Warherd is my favourite way of playing Beasts of Chaos.  If you are WAAC it will fall short.  But if you get good with the army and learn the rules of the game you can play and do well with minimal changes.  Perhaps a bit of chaff or some DrOgres or a Shaggoth to support.  

Personally I would just run your army as is at what, 1500 points?  Warherd is awesome.  

If anyone saw Tyler Mengal's tweet today he compares the Dirgehorn Endless spell to one in the Rumour picture as quite close.  I find it weird if BoC got a book after a WD release that gave them a significant boost.  

17 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I would run it to have fun.  Warherd is my favourite way of playing Beasts of Chaos.  If you are WAAC it will fall short.  But if you get good with the army and learn the rules of the game you can play and do well with minimal changes.  Perhaps a bit of chaff or some DrOgres or a Shaggoth to support.  

Personally I would just run your army as is at what, 1500 points?  Warherd is awesome.  

If anyone saw Tyler Mengal's tweet today he compares the Dirgehorn Endless spell to one in the Rumour picture as quite close.  I find it weird if BoC got a book after a WD release that gave them a significant boost.  

I said a similar thing when I saw it. I’m hoping for plastic centigors, a plastic cockatrice and a plastic Shaggoth. I’ll post pics of my finished Doombull conversions when I finish. Pretty happy with them so far. Especially the non-wizard one. Ogroids make great conversion fodder. 

19 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Don't read to much into the rumor mill picture. Unless they are doing a special event, it can take be anything from 6 months to 2 years before we get a payoff for a rumor mill picture.

New and I mean NEW, as in completely new, scaled up, beefed up cool looking Shaggoth on a big base with beefy stat line and uptick in points would certainly be nice.

These things are supposed to be ancient and extremely powerful. We are talking Greater Demons of Chaos power levels, yet the models are horrendously outdated, and their unit profile is pretty pathetic.

What I want is a 250-300 point Shaggoth on 120mm oval base the size of a Carnosaur or whats its name. All beefy, badass and scary looking with profile that actually puts some fear into your opponent. Hard to kill, heavy hitting and can cast magic. Let it be a centerpiece, similarly how the Ogor mammoths are.

And as other have mentioned, accompany that release with brand new Centigor double kit (introduce a new type of Centigors. One combat oriented shock cavalry, the other skirmish range of 12" with throwing weapons). New Beastlord thats also up to date, with chariot option as well. And harpies. I could also add Razorgors, but by this point I think everyone already has a much better looking proxi so who cares about them. That ship has sailed long ago.

Granted most of our units are from model kits that are 10 years+ old so there is a lot that could use visual uplifting,

20 hours ago, TimeToWaste85 said:

forgot I can share my beastlord conversion that’s complete 

Oh, and I’m sure everyone can see the old BattleMaster Gor in the background. I have 8, can anyone US based help me w/2 or 12 more to finish?

could also be interested in the old BattleMaster Bestigors w/great axes at the right price. 

Edited by TimeToWaste85
Added info about request

On 4/27/2022 at 9:35 AM, Chaos Shepard said:

Don't read to much into the rumor mill picture. Unless they are doing a special event, it can take be anything from 6 months to 2 years before we get a payoff for a rumor mill picture.

mmm that's true.  I used to follow Kurgan's and it got quite out of date.   ah well,.. 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:45 AM, Myrdin said:

New and I mean NEW, as in completely new, scaled up, beefed up cool looking Shaggoth on a big base with beefy stat line and uptick in points would certainly be nice.

These things are supposed to be ancient and extremely powerful. We are talking Greater Demons of Chaos power levels, yet the models are horrendously outdated, and their unit profile is pretty pathetic.

What I want is a 250-300 point Shaggoth on 120mm oval base the size of a Carnosaur or whats its name. All beefy, badass and scary looking with profile that actually puts some fear into your opponent. Hard to kill, heavy hitting and can cast magic. Let it be a centerpiece, similarly how the Ogor mammoths are.

And as other have mentioned, accompany that release with brand new Centigor double kit (introduce a new type of Centigors. One combat oriented shock cavalry, the other skirmish range of 12" with throwing weapons). New Beastlord thats also up to date, with chariot option as well. And harpies. I could also add Razorgors, but by this point I think everyone already has a much better looking proxi so who cares about them. That ship has sailed long ago.

Granted most of our units are from model kits that are 10 years+ old so there is a lot that could use visual uplifting,

I agree the Shaggoth desperately needs a new model with new stats, but keep the current base size so I don't have to rebase my old metal one!  I mean the Treelords, Stardrakes, and Mancrushers are all on that size base.  New Centigor dual kit would be super awesome!  As would a massive centaur like god-tier model 🙄

On 4/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

I agree the Shaggoth desperately needs a new model with new stats, but keep the current base size so I don't have to rebase my old metal one!  I mean the Treelords, Stardrakes, and Mancrushers are all on that size base.  New Centigor dual kit would be super awesome!  As would a massive centaur like god-tier model 🙄

I feel like that’s something GW would be perfectly capable of. Would be awesome to see something like that. Too bad such a model is only wishful thinking right now 

I wonder…Carnosaur body w/Ghorgon torso…

edit: so I legitimately have a Carnosaur lying around and a Ghorgon still on sprue. This fits. Expect a plastic Shaggoth conversion shortly, properly sized. 

Edited by TimeToWaste85
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, now that Warhammer fest is all done with and we've kinda been forgotten about (with the exception of some future awesome bullgor proxies) I took it upon myself to decide to increase the herd with some centigors and dragon ogres, to keep my new Shaggoth conversion company (half karkadrak, half ogroid) 

Centigors will be half marauder horses, half gors naturally. Cos the old sculpts stink.

I'd love to see anyone elses take on this. 

*Degenerate braying*

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xs_0013 said:

Okay, now that Warhammer fest is all done with and we've kinda been forgotten about (with the exception of some future awesome bullgor proxies) I took it upon myself to decide to increase the herd with some centigors and dragon ogres, to keep my new Shaggoth conversion company (half karkadrak, half ogroid) 

Centigors will be half marauder horses, half gors naturally. Cos the old sculpts stink.

I'd love to see anyone elses take on this. 

*Degenerate braying*

I actually have 5 more that havent had their greenstuff added who looo better than the first 5 but mine are made from the horses off the chaos chariot mixed with bits from khorne skullreapers as I run a Skullfray.

20211228_075358.jpg

20211228_075256.jpg

20210704_110015.jpg

20211228_075549.jpg

20211228_075620.jpg

20211228_075511.jpg

20211228_075426.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Red King said:

I actually have 5 more that havent had their greenstuff added who looo better than the first 5 but mine are made from the horses off the chaos chariot mixed with bits from khorne skullreapers as I run a Skullfray.

20211228_075358.jpg

20211228_075256.jpg

20210704_110015.jpg

20211228_075549.jpg

20211228_075620.jpg

20211228_075511.jpg

20211228_075426.jpg

Oh nice work! The Knights/skullreapers work really well! 

I'm gunna be aiming for something a little less armoured, but no fewer horns and spikes. I'll post some pics when I get my mock ups sorted

• Like 1