AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Tzaangors while are tankier they also are more costly. 170pts for what is something that 20 Gors can do for 20pts less, sure no 6+++ and 4 of them can have a better weapon, as soon as 2 die their damage tanks. I still run 1 unit of them, but a unit like Bestigors or Enlighten Tzaangors are the Hammer and Tzaangors are the Anvil. Dragon Ogres are also more of an Anvil unit, their damage is low and their job is to tank hits while Bullgors are the Hammer. BoC is all about having throw away units with good speed and timing your hammer units, some tank units are fine as most of our stuff is pretty squishy.

Don't forget if you take 20 Tzaangors you need to save CP for bravery for them, its a strong anvil but many things can still kill them so you need to still becareful what to throw them at. Also if you are doing a 20man for sure go with some Greatblades, those things are were the damage is at, the other 12 can be shields.

Here's my current list.

In terms of deployment, I'm finding people are giving the new battalions a shot. This means I have a chance to out-position them, even if at five drops I'm possibly still going second. I tend to deploy the units in the Warlord battalion first, leading with the Gors unit being placed into Ambush, followed by Grashrak and its crew being placed at the Herdstone, then placing the Doombull and Dragon Ogor Shaggoth at various locations. This order means that, even four drops into deployment, I have given up very little information to my opponent. I thus hopefully end up deploying my entire Battle Regiment in advantageous positions on my fifth placement.

As noted in my previous comments, the Gors scramble in my opponent's backfield while Grashrak and its crew staff the Herdstone's sacrificial fires. The Warherd units inflict casualties, hopefully knocking out my opponent's battleline units. The Thunderscorn units park on midfield objectives and grind down challengers, with a Dragon Ogor Shaggoth likely roaring to deny my opponent access to command abilities during the combat phase while the list's endless spells deny my opponent access to Inspiring Presence. The Cockatrices fly to block charge lanes, destroy my opponent's faction terrain, maybe attack small monsters, and otherwise create nuisances for my opponent.

Most of the units (the Gors, the Bullgors, and the Dragon Ogors) re-roll ones, a decision I made both to maximize impact and as a bit of a tribute to the old Primal Fury rule. I picked Hysh for the list's realm solely for flavor (I imagine the army as a collection of dreaming beasts which never sleeps), as I do not think there is a mechanic benefit to be had in that selection.

I look forward to your feedback! Thanks and happy wargaming!

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Allherd
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (185) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Command Trait: Dominator
- Artefact: Horn of the Tempest
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (185) in Warlord
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
Doombull (115) in Warlord
- Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator
Grashrak Fellhoof (150) in Warlord
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Savage Dominion

Battleline
6 x Dragon Ogors (300) in Battle Regiment
- 6x Draconic War glaives
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Dragon Ogors (300) in Battle Regiment
- 6x Draconic War glaives
- Reinforced x 1
20 x Gors (150) in Warlord
- Two Gor-Blades
- Reinforced x 1

Units
6 x Bullgors (310) in Battle Regiment
- Pairs of Axes
- Reinforced x 1
1 x Cockatrice (95) in Battle Regiment
1 x Cockatrice (95) in Battle Regiment

Endless Spells & Invocations
Horrorghast (65)
Ravening Direflock (50)

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Warlord

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

• Like 4

You all know we were waiting for an edition like this to run debuff-wizards in a rampaging warherd 😇:

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Doombull (115) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Command Trait: Rampant Juggernaut
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
Great-Bray Shaman (100) in Battle Regiment
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm
9 x Bullgors (465) in Battle Regiment
- Great Axes
- Reinforced x 2
- Great Axes
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Bullgors (155) in Battle Regiment
- Great Axes
Ghorgon (170) in Alpha-Beast Pack
Cygor (140) in Battle Regiment

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 151

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding ideas which might have a new life in 3rd edition...

At first, I thought the new edition's Reinforcement rules would once again put our Centigors back in their respective display cases. Upon reflection, though, I think the new edition might have a place for them.

The new edition's board size is the reason for this reevaluation. The no man's land between deployment zones in the new edition can be 22 inches across. A unit of 10 Centigor, when deployed near a Great Bray-Shaman, have a first turn movement of 18"+d6" (14" base + 1" Beast Banner run buff + 3" Great Bray-Shaman move buff + d6" run).

This makes the Centigor a particularly good shock troop, one which has more starting threat range than many cavalry units in the game. They remain rather undependable and flimsy, but with the new command abilities and core battalions they can be pretty flexible and open up some addition options.

I'm intrigued by how my Centigors might play and look forward to hearing your own feedback from using them, too. Happy wargaming!

• Like 3

On 7/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

You all know we were waiting for an edition like this to run debuff-wizards in a rampaging warherd 😇:

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Bloodthirsty
Doombull (115) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Command Trait: Rampant Juggernaut
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
Great-Bray Shaman (100) in Battle Regiment
- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm
9 x Bullgors (465) in Battle Regiment
- Great Axes
- Reinforced x 2
- Great Axes
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Bullgors (155) in Battle Regiment
- Great Axes
Cygor (140) in Battle Regiment

Total: 1980 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
Wounds: 151

I love this list but I don't have hope for it 😉  I think it was dumb you needed 6 Bullgors to get a 2+ for the MWs on the charge,.. it should have just been 2+ on all Warherd.  Not like hte Ghorgon getting 2D3 MWs on the charge was going to push BoC to top tier unbeatable.. GW always tosses a small bone to BoC end of Edition and do it completely cluelessly..

I would be keen to see 2 Ghorgons, 2 Cygors, 2 x 6 Bullgors then Gors for chaff actually.  I doubt it would work I just miss playing Warherd effectively...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Based off one comment in the rumour thread, discussion on a revamp of BOC seems to have taken off again. That got me, as a newbie tempted to start a BOC army wondering: Which models do you think would be unlikely to be updated in a range revamp and which are likely? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

For those wondering the comment pointed out that BOC weren't featured in the galleries of factions in a new starter booklet (although were present later on) and theorised that GW didn't want to create an image of a soon to be outdated army.

I am not sure how much credit I place in this theory. Its not off brand for GW to just sometimes forget Beast of Chaos exist. Still there are some model more obvious for refresh than others. Obviously it would be smart to avoid anything metal or finecast. As far as standard units go that would be; Centigor, Tuskgor Chariots, Razorgors, Cockatrice, and Jabberslythe. As far as hero units it would be; Beastlord, Doombull, and Shaggoth; or another way of putting it, anything that isn't a Shaman. These units are the most likely to get updated or dropped come our next book. I say dropped but it is very unlikely that they would drop any of the hero characters, however, I do think it worth mentioning the Shaggoth. While I don't think for a moment they will remove the Shaggoth, the model has never properly reflected its size in the lore. They could potentially upscale the Shaggoth to a size that would essentially make the old model obsolete(think black coach or Be'Lakor).

That is the obvious stuff out of the way. When it comes to plastic, things are a little less clear. I suppose I can try to call out what is safe first. All Tzaangor should be completely safe. They are relatively new kits shared between 2 armies and even 2 gaming systems. I also believe that the Gorgon/Cygor kit and Dragon Ogors kits are well and truly safe from refresh. After that things get a little tricky.

Lets look gors, bestigor, and ungors/raiders. All three of these are 10 year old models, they are also of an older design philosophy you don't see in newer kits. I don't see GW changing one of these kits without changing all of these kits. In fairness I don't see GW changing these kit anytime soon, while they are old enough and can use a refresh, they still hold up rather well and the effort to update them maybe better spent else where.

Bullgors are in very much the same boat as the gors are, 10 year old models and all that. Heck I would even say that their design principle better line up with newer kits. Now you may think this would make them less likely to get updated but there is one thing holding them back, they ugly. At the very least, many have voiced their contempt for the models. While I maintain that effort would be better spent elsewhere, if they update the Doombull with a different design, I could see GW altering the Bullgors while they are at it.

The only three units I haven't mentioned are Spawn, Chaos Warhounds, and Chimera. I generally think these kits are safe. While most of this is down to effort being better spent elsewhere. Warhounds are a fine enough model but mostly I don't think anyone cares enough about them to warrant an update. Spawn could use an update but why for Beast of Chaos and not Slaves to Darkness, or Chaos Space Marines. Though the real problem with spawn is that they are just to expensive for 2 models and everyone just kit bashes them anyways. The Chimera is the only one I could see getting updated but again I would imagine effort better spent on making a whole new monster and just keeping the Chimera as is. That said, it is odd the clearly different Chimera that is present on the cover of the latest General's Handbook.

TL;DR

I think the only things destined for updates are all the finecast/metal models. I believe that all current plastic is more or less staying where it is, with maybe bullgors being the exception.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 3:18 PM, Alerak said:

Based off one comment in the rumour thread, discussion on a revamp of BOC seems to have taken off again. That got me, as a newbie tempted to start a BOC army wondering: Which models do you think would be unlikely to be updated in a range revamp and which are likely? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

For those wondering the comment pointed out that BOC weren't featured in the galleries of factions in a new starter booklet (although were present later on) and theorised that GW didn't want to create an image of a soon to be outdated army.

Anything that is plastic with maybe the expectation of Bestigors and Gors as they are some of our oldest plastics most likely wont be touched at all.

Also it doesn't matter to GW how old a kit is, there are still plastic kits that are 20+ years old in many armies across the games that never got anything new but then they re-made some kits there were less than 10yrs old. It more so has to do with the logistics of the kit. Ungors/Raiders, Ghorgons/Cygors, DOs, Shaman, were redone in 7th edition which honestly is still kind of new for plastic kits and most likely won't be touched. Bestigors, Gors, and Bullgors are a few years older and might have a change. 

It also depends on if they want to push the army in a different direction, if they wanted a Brayherd and Warherd feel over Thunderscorn we might see a new Doombull and a couple Bullgors, with no other updates, or if they wanted DO's and monsters we could see all new Shaggoths, Jappers, etc... 

GW is known for going far left field at times with new army books.

TL;DR: 90% chance plastics here to stay, but GW does crazy things at times.

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Like 2

I'm just getting back into AoS after a year off and trying to come to terms with v3 and how it effects BoC.  I have some questions.

Are Bestigors as bad as they now seem or do I need to change how I use them.  In v2, I used them as MSU charging in waves and a unit coming from the back.  The loss of our battalions and the new cohesion rules make them not hit nearly as hard especially with all out defense available.  Is it better to use them in big blocks now?  That always seemed like a waste.

With Bestigors so much worse, what are we killing with?  I only have one min sizes units of Bulgors but I assume that is the answer.

I saw people saying to run DO in 6 but that sounds terrible with the new cohesion rules.  What am I missing. Note: I love DO and have 12 so if the new answer to BoC in v3 is moar DO, that would be cool.  :)

It seems like DO/Shaggoth got worse with new rules (no champion, cohesion hurts 6, Shag is exactly 10 wounds, etc) but I'm seeing a bunch of lists that have them.  What am I missing?

Thanks ahead of time for the help

Edited by Kevin K

On 8/5/2021 at 8:18 PM, Chaos Shepard said:

I am not sure how much credit I place in this theory. Its not off brand for GW to just sometimes forget Beast of Chaos exist. 

I also believe that the Gorgon/Cygor kit and Dragon Ogors kits are well and truly safe from refresh.

Lets look gors, bestigor, and ungors/raiders. All three of these are 10 year old models, they are also of an older design philosophy you don't see in newer kits. I don't see GW changing one of these kits without changing all of these kits. In fairness I don't see GW changing these kit anytime soon, while they are old enough and can use a refresh, they still hold up rather well and the effort to update them maybe better spent else where.

Bullgors are in very much the same boat as the gors are, 10 year old models and all that. 

The only three units I haven't mentioned are Spawn, Chaos Warhounds, and Chimera.

yeah GW forgets BoC exist every book re-write :P  

The DOs were from 7th ed Hordes of Chaos (or whatever they were called in that book) and removed from Beastmen.  They however didn't come out for a while for some odd reason (that era Chapterhouse was making units for entries GW wasn't doing at the time) and then finally came out in the 8th ed "hordes of chaos" book.  BoC got them back,.. this last book I think?  Not sure how they were juggled around in AoS.  I personally don't think it's a good kit and think they could do better now.  A new Shaggoth and new DrOgurs release would be very nice to see.  

Bullgors were terrible when they came out.  GW took a dated kit and made it possibly worse.  If they could do to Bullgors what they did to Vampire Counts it would be amazing.  People have forever wanted Beasts of Chaos to be good in models and table as they have a certain broad appeal that brings a lot of people into dipping their toe into the army.  

I would avoid the Chimera kit.  It was from Storm of Magic and is pretty bad.  Unless you wanted to run 3 in that battalion I would hold off.  It's a derpy kit and I would worry about it not being of any significance moving forward.

On 8/5/2021 at 12:18 PM, Alerak said:

I'm not sure that's correct.  BRBs have had old kits, and even the 40k Ork codex uses the fincast/metal Kommando when they've already shown the new Kommando kits (and,.. technically available before the release of the codex even).  GW is often using old pictures and kits.

I slightly worry about it tbh.  Maybe I'll be selling a huge rebased army to the grognards playing cloned fantasy games.  There is so much in that book and GW is historically so clueless with the army,.. I'm hoping I'm just being pessimistic.  I mean they got an update in Broken Realms but that doesn't say much...  Also I don't know how much of the Getting Started was to just sell off old stock.  A possibility I presume.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:46 AM, Maddpainting said:

Ungors/Raiders, Ghorgons/Cygors, DOs, Shaman, were redone in 7th edition which honestly is still kind of new for plastic kits and most likely won't be touched. Bestigors, Gors, and Bullgors are a few years older and might have a change. 

TL;DR: 90% chance plastics here to stay, but GW does crazy things at times.

Ork Boyz have been redone every couple editions and there isn't even anything changing about them this edition and the previous ones match the older kits.  GW does indeed do crazy things...

Anything plastic was the same time.  Even the Bray-Shaman and Ghorgon have images floating around on the 'net that showed they were copyright stamped the same time they did the gor/ungor kits.  The update before was 6th edition when the mixed herd came out.  The entire range could use an redo tbh.  It isn't that stellar.  The old Beastlord blisters were the coolest part about it and one is gone.

The Gor kit is really old actually, Ungors got a new kit b.c Raiders came out and it was a dual kit.  Ghorgon was released in 7th with our new book so was the Shaman in 2011 (I remember the Ghorgon date pretty well).

While 10-11yrs seem old, its not really that old for GW. I personally think most out kits that are plastic are fine, i would like new Bullgors, and finecast to be made into plastic for our next release. After that I would like Khornegors, Pestigors, mounted hero and some named heroes. Then Bestigors box redone for new players and Gors redone for better options.

I just got a Chimera pretty cheap and while a bit older in pose, it's pretty neat actually.  Kinda hard to do the triple head thing without looking a bit derpy (like Dorghar on Archaon for example).  Some of those old mythological beasts are just silly.

While I have temporarily shelved my Beasts, I find myself pondering a different route for them.  In 3.0 it appears beneficial to think of those Battle Tactics points along with the units that can accomplish them easily. 

For example, Dark Walkers could do the 2 units in the enemy zone without a thought using 2 Cygors or Ghorgons and outflanking them.  And that's a good thing to do with them anyways for backfield confusion threat.  Taking that further, outflanking a couple large units of Ungor Raiders to assassinate a little hero, isn't that one of the tactics too?  

Because Beasts are squishy, and we really do limited damage now with the coherency rules affecting Bullgors the worst, I see taking MSU great axe units and allying in at least 2 Minstealer Sphiranxes.  Probably 3 is better.  That will allow the Bullgors and other units to strike against some enemies all before they strike back, thus allowing max damage.  Also, the 3 allied cats are monsters, and any turn they can all run together for that Ferocious Advance (forgot what it's called) tactic for an easy 3 points, perhaps using Alpha Beast Pack to further get up the table early on?  There's some way to let Ambushers come in later than turn 1, so if using that Cygors could come in either turn, cats could run either turn.

Scrap Gors altogether I think, go with Ungors for cheap masses of bodies to score objectives.  

Perhaps something like this?

Capture.JPG

They are most likely referring to the additional allegiance abilities found in Broken Realms: Kragnos. Gors can reroll charges on ambush, Warherd can do mortal wounds on the charge, and Thunderscorn can heal/deal moral wounds at the end of combat.

Edited by Chaos Shepard
  • Thanks 2

Hi i whant to start BoC 

- Greatfray: Gavespawn
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Doombull (115)
- General
- Command Trait: Unravelling Aura
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Titanic Fury

Battleline
6 x Bullgors (310)
- Pairs of Axes
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Bullgors (155)
- Pairs of Axes
3 x Bullgors (155)
- Pairs of Axes
10 x Gors (75)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
10 x Gors (75)
10 x Ungors (70)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
10 x Bestigors (135)
10 x Bestigors (135)

Behemoths
Ghorgon (170)**
Ghorgon (170)**
Ghorgon (170)**

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Alpha-Beast Pack

Total: 1935 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 158
Drops: 14

How do you thing ?

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 3:07 PM, Skarband said:

Hi i whant to start BoC 

- Triumphs:

Leaders
Doombull (115)
- General
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
6 x Bullgors (310)
- Pairs of Axes
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Bullgors (155)
- Pairs of Axes
3 x Bullgors (155)
- Pairs of Axes
10 x Gors (75)
10 x Gors (75)
10 x Ungors (70)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
10 x Bestigors (135)
10 x Bestigors (135)

Behemoths
Ghorgon (170)**
Ghorgon (170)**
Ghorgon (170)**

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Alpha-Beast Pack

How do you thing ?

Welcome to the fray!   Are those the models you have or models you are thinking about getting?  I think 3 Ghorgons might be fun.  You could achieve a couple different Battle Tactics with them alone.  Cygors though, those could work too.  Not an easy model kit to magnetize, but possible, so you could experiment.

I might recommend to drop both units of Gors and take at least 1 allied Mindstealer Sphiranxes.  They are also Monsters, and can let the Beasts strike first against 2 different enemy units.   Ungors can still run and charge and move the extra 3" from the Bray Shaman effect; they make excellent screen units.

Also if you're using Gavespawn, take at least 1 Chaos Spawn. 

It would be very good to fit most of the army into the Battle Regiment, and then have the Alpha Beast Pack.  However, for Running and Charging units, it would be good to put 1 into a Vanguard Core Battalion for the free 6" run guaranteed....and then I'd probably use it on a massive unit of Bestigors, and depending on what they fight, do All Out Defence or Attack.

Also scroll above to see those extra rules the Beasts of Chaos got in the recent Broken Realms book.  That should help augment their performance.  Not great times to be a Beasts player but hopefully later this year or early next year we'll be updated and back on the hooves instead of the shelf.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:07 PM, Skarband said:

Hi i whant to start BoC 

- Triumphs:

Leaders
Doombull (115)
- General
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)

Battleline
6 x Bullgors (310)
- Pairs of Axes
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Bullgors (155)
- Pairs of Axes
3 x Bullgors (155)
- Pairs of Axes
10 x Gors (75)
10 x Gors (75)
10 x Ungors (70)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
10 x Bestigors (135)
10 x Bestigors (135)

Behemoths
Ghorgon (170)**
Ghorgon (170)**
Ghorgon (170)**

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment
**Alpha-Beast Pack

How do you thing ?

I am not sure if 6 bulls are viable. Thanks to the current coherency rules and their short range with large bases you will maybe get one more bull in than typical, leaving 2 bulls out of combat. It would probably be better to take them in yet more units of 3. This has the additional benefit of also giving you another champion which mean one more attack on the same weapon. Also are the bulls already modeled with duel axes or can that be changed? For the longest time, duel axes have been considered the worst options though there is an argument for them being better this edition since rerolls are less common. Still if I was going to pick, I would probably go with large ax or shields.

Also I would agree on taking at least one Chaos Spawn.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:14 PM, Chaos Shepard said:

I am not sure if 6 bulls are viable. Thanks to the current coherency rules and their short range with large bases you will maybe get one more bull in than typical, leaving 2 bulls out of combat. It would probably be better to take them in yet more units of 3.

I've noticed units are either small, or big and hard to kill (for example either replenishing ghouls, or 30 Ironbreakers).  So if you take bulls you won't be throwing them at anything big.  Meaning,.. 3 isn't utterly useless.  Someone in the Slaanesh thread is taking 2x3 bulls as Coalition to replace his Hellstriders.  I think Acquiescence, or some form allows rr 1s vs an enemy (as opposed to friendly Hedonite) so with a 3+ to hit and rr 1s you have a decent chance to hurt something like 5 Drakespawn Knights. 

Hello fellow lambs of chaos, would anyone here be interested in me posting here on TGA for a future beasts of chaos 3.0 ruleset? 

Similar in design to my other postings to be compatible with 3.0 core rules and have multiple functions. Any and all feedback welcomed as normal. I likely will need a few weeks of R&D, however. 

I got a box of Dragon Ogors for my birthday!  Very excited, such a cool looking unit.  And I predict someday in the next year we'll get a new tome and the Thunderscorn will get a plastic Shaggoth and augmented rules, cuz DRAGONS.  Also plastic Doombull and probably new Bullgors too.  That and the odd monster or two are really all the Beasts need model wise (besides a plastic Morghur for their god-hero). 

In the meantime I'll be playing my Sons of Behemat for this autumnal tournament season, but next year will be my year of the Beasts to git gud with them.  Or at least figure them out a little better.  I really like the looks of the double weapons on my Dragon Ogors but I'll wait to glue their arms on until later.  The Crushers are pretty awesome too.

Hey guys, was in the market for a new army and I know BoC isn't very good but you can't help what you're drawn to.

I was wondering what kind of model pool you guys use for summoning?  I was looking at building a list with a lot of bestigors and ungors, a couple of units of ungor raiders probably.