AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

7 hours ago, Fyrenn said:

cant you do mixed in dragon ogors?  just have the back rank halberds?

Sure if you have some built like that. I mean if you don't care about WYSIWYG then it doesn't matter. But not all cav has that options. 

Also we have 50mm 1" melee units....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

Also we have 50mm 1" melee units....

I think we will definitely end up with the 40k rules of second rank fighting as long as the first rank can. If not it will ruin so many other armies not just beasts including the SCE poster boys with 40mm and 1" reach! 

I think we will be fine with the new rules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Feorag said:

I think we will definitely end up with the 40k rules of second rank fighting as long as the first rank can. If not it will ruin so many other armies not just beasts including the SCE poster boys with 40mm and 1" reach! 

I think we will be fine with the new rules.

I too believe this will be a thing. Either this, or the bigger bases modesl (40mm+) will have different Cohesion rules. Since what we have are just snippets not the entire cohession rule page so its possible.

But one should remember the quote from 40K DoW PC game when it comes to GW:

'Hope is a first step on a road to disappointment.' :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myrdin said:

But one should remember the quote from 40K DoW PC game when it comes to GW:

'Hope is a first step on a road to disappointment.' :D

Maybe..... Just maybe but I have sunk way too much time and money into beasts over the last 20 years for some subpar rules to put me off.

But in all seriousness I don't dislike the book we have ATM just a few of the units need something nice.

If a cygor could eat an endless Spell and unbind a spell rather than getting 2 unbinds that would be spicy and make them worth taking with the new endless Spell rules.

I'd also love us to have a priest type model maybe even expand the bull hero line with a Bullseer or something like that. 

16 hours ago, Siphon said:

I’m thinking MSU everything.  And for most armies, not just Beasts.

The Age of MSU begins.

MSU and big hordes. Big hordes have enough models that they can manage the new coherency rule for a while without much issue, especially since the point of going into a big horde is for the extra durability

11 hours ago, Fyrenn said:

cant you do mixed in dragon ogors?  just have the back rank halberds?

At the moment yes, but the ones in the back are still fighting at reduced power since they won't get to use their claws, plus the front ones will need to crabwalk.

On 6/7/2021 at 10:58 AM, Ganigumo said:

This kills the beasts of Chaos. Nerfs Gors, Bestigors, Bullgors, Dragon Ogors, Tzaangors, Tzaangor Enlightened, Tzaangor Skyfires, Warhounds.

Ungors are fine since 25mm is less than an inch.

Sure hurts them yeah.  We all remember the Krusty the Clown "STOP HE'S ALREADY DEAD" line.  

But the one thing I would say is when taking Bestigors anything past 10 was ablative wounds usually  Cause rarely did I get all in B2B mostly things were in the way and I found 10 on their own charging effective.  We are chaff slowly dying not holding the line as a huge horde.

Also we should play with the new rules for 6 months before we say "this is dead".  

But.. yeah,. oof,.. sure doesn't help eh? GW sure can't get this army right...

21 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

So we are looking at MSU Bullgors?

I would say unless they fix the lack of reach on them yeah.  You can charge in a doombull, ghorogn, 2x 3 Bullgors and have the same effect as 6 bullgors only better cause you can get more in.  Until AoS 2 BoC I tended to run MSU Bullgors anyway.  

20 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Yeah.... Dragon Ogres and all Cavalry type units too are in danger now.

You can alternate horizontal and vertical cavalry.  I do this with my Wild Riders.  

2 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

You can alternate horizontal and vertical cavalry.  I do this with my Wild Riders.  

What do you mean Pop ?

The first 2-3 to make contact go "flat" (horizontal) and the ones after just slam in like nails into a board (vertical) ?

On 6/7/2021 at 12:58 PM, Ganigumo said:

AoSFF Stormcast Jun7 Boxout1

This kills the beasts of Chaos. Nerfs Gors, Bestigors, Bullgors, Dragon Ogors, Tzaangors, Tzaangor Enlightened, Tzaangor Skyfires, Warhounds.

Ungors are fine since 25mm is less than an inch.

Enlightened have 2 inches on their spears, they won't get hurt too much. Practically speaking you can only get 3 or 4 to get their teeth off now anyway.

People keep mentioning Troggoths too but they have 2" as well.

I do think they're going to do something like 40ks style combat though. Especially since they only gave Blood Knights 1" range in their new book. My guess is that the models that will be able to attack will be within range of an enemy model or within a friendly model that is within range of an enemy model and within range of that weapon(or perhaps alternatively just in base contact with an model within range of an enemy model).

It may even work out better for Enlightened and Skyfires.

2 minutes ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Enlightened have 2 inches on their spears, they won't get hurt too much. Practically speaking you can only get 3 or 4 to get their teeth off now anyway.

People keep mentioning Troggoths too but they have 2" as well.

I do think they're going to do something like 40ks style combat though. Especially since they only gave Blood Knights 1" range in their new book. My guess is that the models that will be able to attack will be within range of an enemy model or within a friendly model that is within range of an enemy model and within range of that weapon(or perhaps alternatively just in base contact with an model within range of an enemy model).

It may even work out better for Enlightened and Skyfires.

Enlightened have 2", but the bite attacks on discs only have 1" and they're a significant portion of the damage output.

Maybe they'll have something to fight if you're close to a model in base contact or something, but it would be weird to have a rule like that and still keep weapon ranges.

17 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Enlightened have 2", but the bite attacks on discs only have 1" and they're a significant portion of the damage output.

Maybe they'll have something to fight if you're close to a model in base contact or something, but it would be weird to have a rule like that and still keep weapon ranges.

Like I said, you currently rarely get more than 4 of your models within range of teeth attacks as-is. You'll probably lose out on 1 model but even though the teeth attacks are pretty good, IIRC its only slightly higher than 1 wound per Enlightened.

I'll do the math on it a little later.

Edited by Sinfullyvannila

7 minutes ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Like I said, you currently rarely get more than 4 of your models within range of teeth attacks as-is. You'll probably lose out on 1 model but even though the teeth attacks are pretty good, IIRC its only slightly higher than 1 wound per Enlightened.

I'll do the math on it a little later.

The frontage on 6 enlightened/skyfires is only 240mm, which is slightly less than the frontage of 10 25mm bases, and a fair bit less than 10 32mm bases. I usually don't have too much trouble getting 10 25s/32s into combat but maybe my boards don't have enough terrain on them or my opponents are mispositioning.

1 minute ago, Sinfullyvannila said:

Yeah, but it saves so much time and energy to just add another sentence or two to the rules on targeting than it does to redesign literally every warscroll.

They've certainly done stranger things.

22 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

I usually don't have too much trouble getting 10 25s/32s into combat but maybe my boards don't have enough terrain on them or my opponents are mispositioning

Thats probably the relevant discrepancy in our experiences. If you can get them all in contact it certainly is a massive difference.

A unit of multiple Tuskgor Chariots could be a decent pick too. We'll have to see what the points are like.

If they remain at 200 pts for 4, that's an auto include for me. Barely any coherency restrictions, solid board coverage, fast, ambushable, and can hit dam hard when given +1 to hit. 

Hope Razorgors can function in the same way. I've always wanted to run pack of Razorgor as one unit.

Edited by Dolomedes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Feorag said:

Maybe..... Just maybe but I have sunk way too much time and money into beasts over the last 20 years for some subpar rules to put me off.

But in all seriousness I don't dislike the book we have ATM just a few of the units need something nice.

If a cygor could eat an endless Spell and unbind a spell rather than getting 2 unbinds that would be spicy and make them worth taking with the new endless Spell rules.

I'd also love us to have a priest type model maybe even expand the bull hero line with a Bullseer or something like that. 

I want a holy cow.

7 hours ago, Dolomedes said:

A unit of multiple Tuskgor Chariots could be a decent pick too. We'll have to see what the points are like.

If they remain at 200 pts for 4, that's an auto include for me. Barely any coherency restrictions, solid board coverage, fast, ambushable, and can hit dam hard when given +1 to hit. 

Hope Razorgors can function in the same way. I've always wanted to run pack of Razorgor as one unit.

I would also love to run a massive pack of Razorgors!   It could be worth using Goregruntas for conversions, and then the riders could just be on foot for a Kragnos Grand Destruction Alliance army battleline unit.  

Those Tuskgor Chariots are sounding good for sure.

21 hours ago, Myrdin said:

What do you mean Pop ?

The first 2-3 to make contact go "flat" (horizontal) and the ones after just slam in like nails into a board (vertical) ?

So imagine 10 Centigors.  The bases aren't more than 1" at least in the narrow points.  So 5 are width wide (75mm?) and the others are perpendicular (or well forward facing to the enemy) and because of reach they also get to attack and be in unit coherency.

20 hours ago, Dolomedes said:

Get them double Ghorgon lists ready boys. This new unit coherency rule was written for em.

I agree.  I'm seeing lots of snotty reactions to the Coherency rules online and I'm hoping to come across some people doing it and swallow that middle guy whole :D

19 hours ago, Dolomedes said:

I want a holy cow.

What about an unholy cow? 😉  

12 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I would also love to run a massive pack of Razorgors!   It could be worth using Goregruntas for conversions, and then the riders could just be on foot for a Kragnos Grand Destruction Alliance army battleline unit.  

Those Tuskgor Chariots are sounding good for sure.

It would be good to see the return of Razorgor and BoC chariots of larger capacity and better designed units for sure.  

I saw a commision army and the Doombull had a pet Razorgor.  Just fluff-wise but it was neat.  Having a rabit beast dog/wolf-like accompaniment would be neat.  If only we could get a Bullgor in a Chariot piloted by a Razorgor.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 5:46 AM, Nordrim said:

I made today Centigor conversion for Mordheim where the centigor is actually great.

received_6076407542370144.jpeg

received_231713271731281.jpeg

received_190092986350963.jpeg

Do you have any in depth insight into making these guys? I'm about to buy a set of chaos chariots to concert into tuskgor chariot so I'll have some nice leftover horses for just this purpose. 

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Do you have any in depth insight into making these guys? I'm about to buy a set of chaos chariots to concert into tuskgor chariot so I'll have some nice leftover horses for just this purpose. 

You may want to hold off for a month.  I've always seen projects leading up to an edition change become significant sources of frustration months later.  Just a thought.