AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

10 hours ago, pnkdth said:

Theory: Beasts of Chaos doesn't really fit with S2D or chaos in terms of allegiance anymore. They are not truly dedicated to a single god. The true children of chaos are above all that, the natural state of the world is pure undivided chaos. As Kragnos breaks free, so does BoC, and we'll see a new narrative between BoC (or Beast of Destruction) versus the new beefed up Alarielle and her Sylvaneth (as a new combined Sylvanth/Kurnoth tome). 

I know, I'm probably teetering on delusional optimism here but just a thought. :D

I thought about this as well. But I dont see GW ripping Beastment out of Chaos after some 20-30 years of them being rooted so deep within that faction. But yeah I mean it could happen. Though then they would literally by just brown orks (back to the "old days jokes" about beasty boys...)

I am more concerned about BoC not getting rules in any broken realms book (or even mentioned in the story i think?) than kragnos not being chaos. My army has been boxed for awhile as i don't like the current playstyle and large amounts of useless units. I find more fun in other armies. I do hope they are getting new models one day, a DO shaggoth on the scale of what we saw yesterday would be amazing. Or just one big named model beast atleast. I like most of the current range, their warscrolls just don't match with the way they look.

I rewatched kragnos intro and it makes sense, hes just a 'natural' centaur to begin with, it would be similar in a way of saying dwarves cant be chaos.

• Like 2

Eek, there's a lot of bad feels here. It's worth reminding ourselves that the store anniversary stormcast chap is carrying a bullgor head. Unless he slayed the last bullgor in the mortal realms then I'm confident we'll still exist. Also, I think BoC is a well collected army, there's at least three collectors at my LFGS, so I don't think we'd be the first marked for the chop.

Nevertheless I can see why Kragnos is annoying to BoC players. I anticipate centigors are going as Kurnothi and Kragnos have taken that aesthetic but I don't believe the rest of the goats and bulls are going anywhere.

(I have no idea about the DOs)

6 hours ago, Svalack said:

I am more concerned about BoC not getting rules in any broken realms book (or even mentioned in the story i think?) than kragnos not being chaos. My army has been boxed for awhile as i don't like the current playstyle and large amounts of useless units. I find more fun in other armies. I do hope they are getting new models one day, a DO shaggoth on the scale of what we saw yesterday would be amazing. Or just one big named model beast atleast. I like most of the current range, their warscrolls just don't match with the way they look.

I rewatched kragnos intro and it makes sense, hes just a 'natural' centaur to begin with, it would be similar in a way of saying dwarves cant be chaos.

BoC, Khorne and Skaven got nothing. 2 Other factions are super popular so I would expect new battletomes for all of those factions soonish ;)

I don’t think I’m allowed to post extracts from the battletome here, but I’ve been frantically searching for salvation as to how Kragnos could still be for beasts of chaos.

Page 10 of the Beasts of Chaos Battletome talks about the ‘Legend of the Prime Progenitor’.

I’m convinced this is Kragnos.

My take:

Beastmen are descended from Kragnos. Kragnos imprisoned by Kroak. In his absence, beastmen devolve into chaos. Kragnos is back and will reclaim beastmen from the grips of Chaos.

I think (read: delusionally hope) that you can take Kragnos is a beasts of chaos allegiance, but doing so makes you Destruction allegiance (I.e. no chaos allies, choose allies from destruction) and you’re forced to only include Brayherd and Warherd units (I.e. everything else in the battletome is too mutated or chaos aligned).

Any thoughts? Delusional ramblings? Or is our salvation around the corner?!

P.S. Please GW

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 5/2/2021 at 3:50 AM, Myrdin said:

Hey, I feel you.

I am determined to sell mine if they mess up another BoC release. I am done waiting and hoping for this army to be anything but trash fodder tier (not in lore, though that would be also nice, but mostly on the table).

After 11 years of collecting, converting and painting them I am done. One more uff from GW, and I`ll be getting rid of the entire collection. Will just keep few for a Warcry Warband, and use my CoS as my main army instead.

Well,.. CoS while getting support is legacy models as well.  I love mine too much and Love Warherd.  

23 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

I think BoC are destined for squatting. Us & Skaven are the only armies who got nothing out of Broken Realms and Kragnos is a kick-in-the-teeth: just look at him! His whole aesthetic screams BoC, not Destruction. I’m really bummed. We are an afterthought army.

I would have thought them to be squated (does this imply they come back in FW as a support unit as Squats have?) before AoS 2 not for AoS 3.  

Saying they didn't get anything and implying they are being removed is a bit chicken little.  I suspect they will have their finecast dropped.  Whether that means they get new models, who knows.  

The recent Vampire Count redux is sure amazing and shows GW will commit to bringing back some classics.  I was surprised zombies and all those archetypes have returned.  And they did an amazing job reimagining them.  

What I should do is sell my Warherd as those models can only get better.  

On 5/3/2021 at 2:26 PM, Televiper11 said:

I think BoC are destined for squatting. Us & Skaven are the only armies who got nothing out of Broken Realms and Kragnos is a kick-in-the-teeth: just look at him! His whole aesthetic screams BoC, not Destruction. I’m really bummed. We are an afterthought army.

They literally released new models for us lol. Now will we have some of our range removed? Yeah most likely but squated? no not at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

The Underworlds warband? That’s technically a side-game and we’re just lucky their rules work okay for us. 

+1 to hit is more than okay.  We got one of the good warbands out of the range.  

4 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

I should clarify. I don’t think the range will disappear but go the way if Slaangors— infantry force God armies but no more Old World flavor army of its own.

The old world ended 6 or 7 years ago?  let it go dot com already,.. Especially after the VC reboot is pretty much "people want old world VC again?  here is the best version GW ever released"

since the major bulk of BoC armies are Ungors and Bestigors now sure were you think it's going other than into the pessimism column here.  

On 5/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, Tullbeard said:

I don’t think I’m allowed to post extracts from the battletome here, but I’ve been frantically searching for salvation as to how Kragnos could still be for beasts of chaos.

Page 10 of the Beasts of Chaos Battletome talks about the ‘Legend of the Prime Progenitor’.

My take:

Beastmen are descended from Kragnos. Kragnos imprisoned by Kroak. In his absence, beastmen devolve into chaos. Kragnos is back and will reclaim beastmen from the grips of Chaos.

I think (read: delusionally hope) that you can take Kragnos is a beasts of chaos allegiance, but doing so makes you Destruction allegiance (I.e. no chaos allies, choose allies from destruction) and you’re forced to only include Brayherd and Warherd units (I.e. everything else in the battletome is too mutated or chaos aligned).

P.S. Please GW

Thats an interesting take. There have been rumors of a cross-allegiance faction for a while.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:50 AM, Vaporlocke said:

Year of the Beast, huh? My heart screams finally but my years of abuse by GW reminds me that they probably don't mean us. 

Well BoC was the first non-Khorne/SCE book in AoS 2 so maybe we will be up soon in AoS 3.  Perhaps the fall?  I do however feel Destruction will get significant attention and I feel they've reused the Monstrous Cav CADs for Centigors as a Destruction line.  

On 5/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, Tullbeard said:

My take:

So Gav Thorpe, years ago explained how GW writes lore tid bits.  He said "write something, make it have a vague genesis, then write 2-3 hints at what people can latch onto."  We will never have the actual hints a prime progenitor, or any of the other two theories divulged.  They are meant to just give us loose threads of inspiration.  

As I see Kragnos, based on the lore video, he's a mortal whatever, who has ascended to god-hood.  I'm guessing most he is the Beast in the Beastgrave GW wrote about for a while.  Granted their storyline in the novel was Sylvaneth vs BoC there was Destruction within the mountian itself.  

When the Beasts forget they worship Chaos, they just destroy things.  The mathematical proof is SoulGrinder x (Cygor + Bray-Shaman)=KrakenEater Megagargant.  But allied for Chaos he can be a One-Eyed Grunnock, cuz he has a club and 1 eye :D

Primed and ready for an undecided paint job.  Gonna have an amber beast magic glow though.

DSCF0740.JPG

DSCF0741.JPG

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

14 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

When the Beasts forget they worship Chaos, they just destroy things.  The mathematical proof is SoulGrinder x (Cygor + Bray-Shaman)=KrakenEater Megagargant.  But allied for Chaos he can be a One-Eyed Grunnock, cuz he has a club and 1 eye :D

Primed and ready for an undecided paint job.  Gonna have an amber beast magic glow though.

I don't know who Grunnock is but this is awesome, I love it.  Thanks for sharing.  good luck painting it.  

Thanks!  One-Eyed Grunnock is a mega-gargant that can ally as a mercenary with any Chaos army (except for certain Skaven armies).  He's 480 points but pretty fun.  An army with tons of little Brayherds running around and ambushing with a big distraction hammer like this would be how I'd use him with the Beasts of Chaos.

• Like 1

That conversion would make up for a fine SoulGrinder or possibly even a regular sized Traitor Knight as well considering its looks. Though its too much 40K for my taste to fit into AoS, but then again thats just my personal preference.

Edited by Myrdin

True, the Soul Grinder apparently comes with a huge round base now!  While I agree it's a bit more 40k than most AoS models, I look at Kharadron Overlords and am okay with it, plus there's a snippet in the Sons of Behemat tome about the Chaos Duardin forging armored Megagargant constructs in the sea.  There must've been a Cygor and Bray-Shaman hanging around at the time :)

26 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

I know I brought a lot of negativity to this thread after Kragnos was announced. I just wanted to say that BoC are still my favorite army and that this thread is full of great advice and better people. I’m hoping for BoC to get some love in 3.0.

Ah,

Well honestly, it's a bunch of stages of grief.  I'd been holding with baited breath on this new destruction faction because i was afraid i'd want to jump ship completely, or that it would be too much overlap for my... eldritch horror  /  lovecraftian beasts of the dark theme.  

Now that it seems more like mordor orcs or something, i'm confidant to move on forward. there will be something eventually, even if it's just points... but who knows? Kragnos might allow beasts in to his fold.  If not, I would (hope) something will come in the era of the beast!

They show up out of nowhere all of the sudden.  That's how it should be, and nobody will see it coming....and it will include an all new plastic Shaggoth and an extra damage for each Dragon Ogor attack who will reroll wound rolls vs Stormcast units, and hit bonus buffs from named characters!

• Like 1