AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Well with Belakor out, lets hope big daddy Shaggoth gets a new model.

And if someone in GW REALLY decides thats the "once per blue moon" time of the year has come, we might actually get papa Kolek Sun Eater make a glorious return with a model that would put Belakor to shame haha!

Possible ? Not much. Absolutely awesome ? You bet!

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Well with Belakor out, lets hope big daddy Shaggoth gets a new model.

And if someone in GW REALLY decides thats the "once per blue moon" time of the year, we might actually get papa Kolek Sun Eater make a glorious return with a model that would put Belakor to shame haha!

Possible ? Not much. Absolutely awesome ? You bet!

I said it in one of the rumour threats, but if the narrative does indeed go to the siege of azyr, I could see dragon ogors involved in some form, as Azyr was their original home realm before Sigmar kicks them off. A perfect excuse to make a new and epic Shaggoth

• Like 2

Someone talk me out of playing this terrible 2 drop list lol. (Mostly just a fun realization)

GAVESPAWN

1 desolating beastherd 

Beastlord w/mutating gnarlblade and unraveling aura

GBS w/ all-seeing eye, wild rampage

Ungors ×10

Gors ×10

Bullgors w/dual axes ×6 

Ungor raiders ×20

1 brass despoilers

Doombull w/ headstone shard

3× bestigor ×10

2× Ghorgon

2× Tuskgor chariot

Alternatively you can bring a chariot in the desolating beastherd instead of the brass despoilers and then drop the gors and one chariot leaving enough for a 30 strong unit of raiders and a superfluous CP or chaos spawn. This might be better but chariots are also really nice in Brass despoilers for giving out the rr 1's buff of the batallion. 

Now obviously this list was mostly "can I bring both batallions?" But it doesn't LOOK terrible. I mean you leave the ungors on the headstone with the shaman, All the warherd stuff starts on the table leaving enough to ambush every other brayherd unit as you see fit. With a 2 drop list you can probably control who gets first turn and it might be difficult to shoot at the approaching warherd if your opponent is literally surrounded by gors on all sides. Might be worth trying since it happens to use the same models I need for my Braas Despoolers Khorne list (plus some of the excess gors I accidentally bought...). The herdstone shard combined with dual axes combined with desolating herd combined with propagator of devolution combined with slaughterer's  call combined with wild rampage (or any combination of those numerous buffs) could make for a hilariously damaging unit of bullgors that will hopefully make it to the enemy safely considering how target rich the environment should be for your enemy and how you should be able to clog up his movement phase pretty well. 

It seems like it should do a decent job of controlling the movement phase, messing with target priority, and flustering your opponent. Probably not the list that's going to win the next adepticon I admit but was hoping more experienced players than I could give it a look or even a whirl and let me know.

Edit: Bit of a wrinkle, can't seem to find how literally the words "at the same time" should be taken during deployment of a batallion in combination with the brayherd ambush "you may set one unit in ambush per beasts of chaos unit deployed on the table". Basically if I deploy my desolating beastherd as one drop can I place the shaman and then place the beastlord in reserves or are the beastlord and shaman dropping at the exact same time? 

Edited by The Red King

On 3/20/2021 at 5:00 PM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

It would be nice if this was a centigor, that's all I'm saying.

Screenshot_20210320-105907_YouTube.jpg

We all hope for Centigors. Ideally horndog daddy Ghorros! Now that would be a return of an ancient one.

But we all know its gonna be some stupid Kurnoth BS... Sigh

Wish I was wrong. Wish we got the love Beastmen deserve and have been waiting for over a decade to receive now.

But just looking at the hooves and the shield with trinkets you can clearly see the Gealic aesthetics. Yeah this is gonna be Orion or something like that, returning as a Centaur. Its pretty clear, since its so different from Beastmen aesthetics.

No way its anything for us. I just dont believe that.

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

But the arms don't match the kurnothi elves either. (No thatching pattern on the shield and the weapon is inelegant) plus cenitigor have paws rather than hooves  (except ghorros) but kurnothi centaur have spike tails rather than horse tails so this guy is both more and less monstrous than a beastman or a kurnothi.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myrdin said:

No way its anything for us.

I think it's kurnothi as well, but I also think that the beasts are going to get an update. Restart the old wood elf rivalry in a beasts vs kurnothi thing. We are the traditional despoilers. (Or it could be orks if we're feeling pessimistic. Although if the normal greenskins got an army again, that would be pretty dope, even if it doesn't help us.) The Red King is also right that he(?) doesn't match any of the known stuff at present. It could be a wild card. All that being said, it would be nice to get some proper centigors.

Hope y'all are having a good week,

For Morghur!!

At first I was leaning more toward Kurnothi as well, but the more I looked at the Beastgrave centaur, the more these didn't stack up. The Kurnothi centaur has a very different more cat like tail and antlers instead of horns. On top of that the armor and shield look completely different, the Kurnothi have this very obvious whicker look to them, where this character has ornate metal shields with chains holding them together. Last detail I cant say for certain but the maul doesn't look like it follows the Kurnothi aesthetic.

I am not convinced that it is Beast of Chaos either. Everything is just a bit too clean and we don't see any of the usual battle scare on the shield that are present in most Chaos armies and we don't see him wearing a skull around his belt. I also am not completely ruling it out either. We could just be seeing a cleaner part of the shields. Also Tzeentch and Slaanesh are two example of Chaos that don't have the typical Chaos scarring on their weapons and armor. Slaanesh aligned Cetigors seems like a long shot but almost everything seems like a long shot at this point. Heck I wont even rule out the possibility of some kind of new Beast of Destruction faction.

• Like 1

Anyone try allying a OneEyed Grunnock megagargant with their Beasts yet?  I want to make a Cygor into one cuz 1 eye.   Idea is in my head, need bits.  Seems like a pretty non-competitive unit actually since it lacks the Mightier Makes Rightier rule, but still, it's super huge and stompy!  

Or should I just wait and get a Belakor IF he's only 400 points or less?

16 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Anyone try allying a OneEyed Grunnock megagargant with their Beasts yet?  I want to make a Cygor into one cuz 1 eye.   Idea is in my head, need bits.  Seems like a pretty non-competitive unit actually since it lacks the Mightier Makes Rightier rule, but still, it's super huge and stompy!  

Or should I just wait and get a Belakor IF he's only 400 points or less?

If the megagargant is really a hot idea for you that you're passionate about go for it.  allies are fickle, more so than armies.  So the expenditure would be costly and you should be wary it could go south in 6-12 months permanently.  If you really loved the idea and will be happy using one that isn't optimal go for it.  

If you are looking for a power boost,. the only thing that will be reliably good is a new book.  Be'lakor could also be fleeting and next edition we may lose allies as we know it?  It's an on again off again thing with GW.

Yeah I must admit the modeling idea is one I've had for a long time.  Can't stop kitbashing!  Then I get too much and have to sell it off, but now I take picture for posterity.  My thoughts on the Megagargant is to occasionally points-replace the Bray Shaman and Shaggoth and Spells and maybe a Doombull.  The magic is pretty meh anyways.   That said, worst thing that could happen is I end up with a Chaos Sons of Behemat army :D

Just played my BoC vs cavalry heavy Stormcast.  My 18 Bullgors, 2 Doombulls, Brass Despoilers, Shaggoth, 2 Bray Shaman, allied Mindstealer cat, dirgehorn and flock spells.

Stormcast had Stardrake, 2 Fulminators and Concussors, 3 Evos on Dracos and a Lord Arcanum on Gryph, 3 Palladors, 3x5 Liberators, and a Heraldor.

Starstrike and Beasts let Stormcast go first.  Then Beasts got the double turn and had the center objective their turn 2.  But the Stardrake ended up eating 4 Bullgors whole, and the Bullgors couldn't hit squat after turn 1.  So Stormcast ended up getting top of turn 3 and called the game there as they had the center objective on turn 2's bottom, and nothing the Beasts had could take back the center.  They summoned 20 Gors (Shaggoth was hacking himself up pretty good by the Herdstone).  But Gors suck and can't hold anything for long.  Beasts used Darkwalkers to teleport summoned Gors from the edge to the center.  That was pretty neat.  Gonna try Gavespawn next after I make some spawn.  

• Like 2

So I'm putting together the last 30 gors I need to complete my army and throwing a few khorne bits here and there. Someone tell me why my Gor unit leader looks cooler than all my bestigor, beastlords, and even my doombull lol

It's not really a complaint. I just put him together and kinda stared at it for a second and was like... hmm this is the model I would use to represent my entire army (once hes painted). These gors really hold up. 

20210330_230329.jpg

• Like 5

That one has some attitude for sure; and his gauntlet reminds me of Conan's in the warrior pits at the beginning of the movie.  

On 3/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, Chaos Shepard said:

One word of advice with Beast of Chaos and allies is to be mindful of the Herdstone. The Herdstone is not their friend and its easy to forget that as you grow use to packing around it.

Thanks for that!  The Herdstone range does creep up on allies fast.  Forgot about that.  I would definitely use the allied MegaG to bum rush the enemies to the far side, sort of lock down a flank that the little guys would have trouble with.  

I've had good luck using my two allied Mindstealer Cats letting my Bullgors strike first.  You have to run them up early on but it pays off well in later turns (they're not a priority target typically and have 10 wounds, plus give them cover....).  Probably easier to use them than the Wildfire Taurus.  That's only what, 80 points?  And causes MW, but Beasts magic isn't very reliable.  Somehow, cats are more reliable.  Maybe cuz they are also beasts :D

26 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

@The Red King that's an excellent foe-render, where's his shield from?

His shield is an extra head plate from a Skullcrusher with the knife from his off hand cut off and glued to the fist part of the shield.

His pose actually looks better from the other side cause of his stance but I wanted to show off the cool armaments.