AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 8/23/2020 at 3:42 PM, Salyx said:

Has anyone made Experiences with a Depraved Drove Slaanesh army?  

All These Slaanesh buffs Sound so good(re-rolling 1s to Hit, exploding 6s, double pile-in). This points me to a Bullgor-heavy army with few Drops. Depraved Drove with 2-3 Bullgors units, 1-2 Doombulls, Contorted Epitome, Keeper and the Rest is filled with Ungor Chaff. 

Is this a stronger way to play Beasts of Chaos? Am I forgetting something? 

What is a must include, what do I have to pay attention to? 

Tell me about your games- if you already had them. Thank you very much 😊

If you look back through the HoS thread there is a guy, CB42? maybe who was championing them early and well.  He wasn't maximizing Depravity (something Slaanesh is moving back towards a little), he was maximizing spamming attacks which Bestigors and Ungors do well.

Bullgors are better in Darkwalkers than Slaanesh.  I mean try it and report back but hitting on 4+s with so few attacks makes them really swingy.  I love Bullgors, and play Darkwalker Bullgors often but it's a hard list.  But you have the right idea, ungor chaff.  :)

A GBS speed boosting 30 Bestigors with the Contorted Epitome in uh,.. Godseekers? casting Cogs have a pretty good shot at a first turn charge.  15-wide spread out so you can get the two ranks attacking will force a lot of saves.  So will 40 Ungors in the same form with either Mauls, 2 x 20, or 40 Spears in 3 ranks.  Just forcing attacks and maximizing exploding attacks and when you are 30+ you get 3 hits per 6.

You can also look at a good target for attack twice, Bestigors are obviously a good candidate but so are Seekers of Slaanesh who reliably get up there and the Keeper can support them.  Seekers are quite good but pricy and fragile.  

Another amazing unit for Slaanesh is Ungor Raiders who move 6" forward who can stop the enemy alpha strike (FEC flying dragon thingies) and "overrun".  I don't know the exact wording.  

I really think they are worth while investigating.  With the Summoning list toned down you might be able to get away without 2k points but summoning a Keeper (proxy a Ghorgon) and 30 Daemonettes will be tops on your lists.  

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, TheArborealWalrus said:

So an update. Not sure if anyone actually wanted a play by play, but here it is.  The list performed better than I expected. The ogres actually did damage and survived okay. Plus none of them fled like I had feared. Bullgors were brutal as expected. I also realized that sundering blades doesn't have to be on thunderscorn units, which is kind of crazy. -3 rend minotaurs here I come! Or something else. There's just so many possibilities! ... I'm excited. I still need to try the list out in a proper fight though. Team games don't work at all like normal ones. He was also very kind to not use his fully armed and operational Gotrek on me. The little mad lad would've destroyed my entire army by himself with little effort. ... probably.  I think I'm  going to give one of the ogre units the paired blades in case I run into coalesced seraphon or the angry beardman again.

Cheers! For Morghur!!

I think we always appreciate a write up :)

INteresting to hear the lack of Ungors and tankyness of hte DOs is working.

late game your Bullgors can be -5 with the Herdstone :D

Regarding Gotrek he's a funny monkey.  Also 4 turns of eating Ungors will nullify him :P  He cannot fly and not being in LC means he is sloggin it.  

What about 6-man DOs and half have the 2" reach weapon?  Just turn the front ones sideways to get all your attacks in.

Cheers indeed! thanks again for your contribution here. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, TheArborealWalrus said:

. One of the doombulls pulls sacrifice duty for the first couple turns and then joins the fray or dies and becomes a spawn.

I forgot to ask if you've considered a Shaggoth as sacrifice duty?  He can poke himself then heal it next turn.  and his spells have a bit of reach so you can have him forward more.

Something to consider?

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

What about 6-man DOs and half have the 2" reach weapon?  Just turn the front ones sideways to get all your attacks in.

I tried that a while back, was rather disappointed in their performance. (didn't do enough damage to warrant their immediate destruction afterwards. Plus they had enough models for battleshock to be even more of a problem) Plus it defeats the purpose of the list.  When trying to help someone figure out their list on here I described the rough purposes of units in the book. Dragon ogres shared similar purposes with the brayherd units in the army. This list is to test that idea. The ogres are my meatshields. Hence why there are no ungors. The gor unit is in there only because I had 70pts left over and couldn't think of a better use for it. (if anyone does have any suggestions, I'm all ears)

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I forgot to ask if you've considered a Shaggoth as sacrifice duty?  He can poke himself then heal it next turn.  and his spells have a bit of reach so you can have him forward more.

I considered that, and leave it as an option when I play, but often times I want the dragon ogres moving up and contesting enemy objectives. I like to have the tempest horn one lead the main assault while the other targets lesser targets with one of the units. They often outrun their khorne friendship based re-rolls of 1 so he hands his dad advice out instead.  Plus the surprise doombull coming out from behind the herdstone has done some damage. People tend to forget he's there with the ogres in their face. He's also discouraged enemy outflankers from showing up by the herdstone. 

I'm presently borrowing my local hobby guru's dragon ogres, but I want to replace them with my own eventually. I've seen plenty of shaggoth alternatives but not really any of their smaller kin (understandable since they're much better than their pappi's model). Does anyone have recommendations for less expensive alternatives? Needing $240 to replace them hurts me on the inside.

3 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Don’t suppose anyone here has both a Herdstone and a Fane if Slaanesh and can tell me if they’re even remotely similar base size?

I've played against them with my khorne (used the herdstone as the altar) and the fane is much larger. If memory serves, it's a lot longer, but has less width. (I believe it was almost double in length) Hopefully someone else actually has pictures, otherwise I hope this helps.

For Morghur!

• Like 1

I have tried a Bullgor heavy army with Darkwalkers, but I'm wondering if Darkwalkers is even necessary if one has 30 Gors and 20 Bestigors which can outflank already in a Beasts army?  The teleport CA is a good one, but with my Doombulls and Bullgors, I think I'd rather have 2 decent artefacts and the Doombull Command Trait (I think it's Rampant Juggernaut for rerolling charges, and then the Herdstone Shard and maybe the Cleaver or the 4++ Armor?).

Here's what I'm thinking now:

No GreatFray......Brass Despoilers:

Doombull   (general: Rampant Juggernaut, shard)

Doombull (armor)

Khorne Daemon Prince (allies)

30 Gors w shields

20 Bestigors

3x3 Axe/Shield Bullgors

3x3 Greataxe Bullgors

Mindstealer Sphiranx (allies)

1970 points.  Beasts kinda suck at magic so I won't bother (I only have a Bray Shaman and he never does anything)....Tzeentch Beasts will be a different story though (Fatemasters and Blue Scribes!)

Edited by Lord Krungharr

So I'm getting really tempted by starting this army as a counter to my high borne lumineth. What is a good build for beginners? I want to move towards an undivided kinda army with a lean towards slaanesh, but tzaangors are so good. What do you guys recommend?

Edited by Acid_Nine

6 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

So I'm getting really tempted by starting this army as a counter to my high borne lumineth. What is a good build for beginners? I want to move towards an undivided kinda army with a lean towards slaanesh, but tzaangors are so good. What do you guys recommend?

Get a couple start collecting boxes b.c it is a really good deal, you are getting the Ghorgon for free. 

• You'll want a few layers of chaff, so Ungors, Raiders, or Gors. 
  • You'll have your 2 Shamans from the SC's then you will want 2 more heroes, Doombulls and Beastlords are good beat sticks, the Beastlord is more niche (anti-hero) than the Doombull and the Bull is more wounds, so for sure take 1 of him. If you are taking Tzaangors then take a Tzaangor Shaman as your final hero. 
  • You want a hammer unit or 2, this can be Tzaangors, Bullgors, or a block of Bestigors.
  • Having 10mans of Bestigors is also great, you'll have 20 from the SC's, getting 1-2 more boxes is always very good
  • You need a box or 2 of spawns
  • Finally get a couple extra boxes of stuff for summoning, a extra unit of Ungors, Gor, maybe a chariot or Razorgor, Cocktrice, etc..
  • PS get the Endless spells and Herdstone

There are a few options you can do for sure, but in general BoC wins on speed and placement, you'll do a lot of running and blocking in your opponent, your gors, ungors, raiders, etc.. 99% the time will never charge and just stand in the way. You want a couple hammers to kill key units to make sure you can keep and take objectives. 

A general list is

Shaman
Shmana
Doombull/Beastlord
Tshaman/Doombull 
Ungor/Gor
Ungor/gor
Ungor/Gor
Raider/Ungor
Raider/Ungor
Bestigor
Bestigor
Optional - Centigor, chariot, etc... another fast chaff unit
Optional Bestigor x30
Bullgors/Tzaangors on Disk (this can be 2x3 or 1x6)
1 drop Battalion 
Optional 1 addition spawn (stay at 2 drop if possible) 

You'll use the 1-2 drop to take first or 2nd turn w/e the mission needs. 

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Get a couple start collecting boxes b.c it is a really good deal, you are getting the Ghorgon for free. 

• You'll want a few layers of chaff, so Ungors, Raiders, or Gors. 
  • You'll have your 2 Shamans from the SC's then you will want 2 more heroes, Doombulls and Beastlords are good beat sticks, the Beastlord is more niche (anti-hero) than the Doombull and the Bull is more wounds, so for sure take 1 of him. If you are taking Tzaangors then take a Tzaangor Shaman as your final hero. 
  • You want a hammer unit or 2, this can be Tzaangors, Bullgors, or a block of Bestigors.
  • Having 10mans of Bestigors is also great, you'll have 20 from the SC's, getting 1-2 more boxes is always very good
  • You need a box or 2 of spawns
  • Finally get a couple extra boxes of stuff for summoning, a extra unit of Ungors, Gor, maybe a chariot or Razorgor, Cocktrice, etc..
  • PS get the Endless spells and Herdstone

There are a few options you can do for sure, but in general BoC wins on speed and placement, you'll do a lot of running and blocking in your opponent, your gors, ungors, raiders, etc.. 99% the time will never charge and just stand in the way. You want a couple hammers to kill key units to make sure you can keep and take objectives. 

A general list is

Shaman
Shmana
Doombull/Beastlord
Tshaman/Doombull 
Ungor/Gor
Ungor/gor
Ungor/Gor
Raider/Ungor
Raider/Ungor
Bestigor
Bestigor
Optional - Centigor, chariot, etc... another fast chaff unit
Optional Bestigor x30
Bullgors/Tzaangors on Disk (this can be 2x3 or 1x6)
1 drop Battalion 
Optional 1 addition spawn (stay at 2 drop if possible) 

You'll use the 1-2 drop to take first or 2nd turn w/e the mission needs. 

Okay, that makes a bit of sense. I managed to make two lists despite not knowing what the heck I am doing, so hopefully they don't suck! Don't have anything picked out besides the realm they are from (hysh) for background fluff ideas.

1st list: Depraved warheard:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
 - Mortal Realm: Hysh
LEADERS
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (100)

UNITS
-10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
-10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
-10 x Ungors (60)
      - Mauls & Half-Shields
-10 x Ungors (60)
          - Mauls & Half-Shields
-30 x Gors (200)
          - Gor-Blades & Beastshields
-30 x Bestigors (300)
-6 x Bullgors (280)
       - Great Axes
-6 x Bullgors (280)
       - Great Axes

BEHEMOTHS
Ghorgon (160)

BATTALIONS
Desolating Beastherd (150)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 180

LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/2 ENDLESS SPELLS: 1/3 ALLIES: 0/400

And next is the depraved drove, which I guess can be played with hedonites if I wanna be crazy. 

Spoiler

- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
 - Greatfray: Allherd
LEADERS

Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (100)
Beastlord (90)

UNITS
30 x Gors (200)
30 x Gors (200)
20 x Bestigors (240)
20 x Bestigors (240)
20 x Ungors (120)
       - Shortspears & Half-Shields
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Pairs of Axes
BATTALIONS
Depraved Drove (150)
TOTAL: 1980/2000 WOUNDS: 187
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/2 ENDLESS SPELLS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400

• Like 1

The first list is better for sure IMO. You can get the 2nd list to work but it'll be harder.

To make your 2nd list better take 10 bestigors to make 1x30, and 1x10, then take your Gors and make 1 unit of 30 into MSU's (if you have the points and room in batatlion, not looking at the points). 

Also Allherd is the weakest out of all 3, Gavespawn is the strongest then Darkwalkers. If you are Allherd though I would really make sure you have your General near your Hammer units for the re-roll charges and make your Doombull your General b.c he can get an Artifact that gives him +2" charges, that way he can get it really easily and give the Bullgors re-roll charges as they also have +1" to the charge. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

The first list is better for sure IMO. You can get the 2nd list to work but it'll be harder.

To make your 2nd list better take 10 bestigors to make 1x30, and 1x10, then take your Gors and make 1 unit of 30 into MSU's (if you have the points and room in batatlion, not looking at the points). 

Also Allherd is the weakest out of all 3, Gavespawn is the strongest then Darkwalkers. If you are Allherd though I would really make sure you have your General near your Hammer units for the re-roll charges and make your Doombull your General b.c he can get an Artifact that gives him +2" charges, that way he can get it really easily and give the Bullgors re-roll charges as they also have +1" to the charge. 

Okay, sounds good. I may go with Darkwalkers instead because I like the outflanking, but it's not set in stone. I think I Like both, but I wouldnt be playing it any time soon so no worries. Just wanted to give a little thought exercise for this to be frank. I don't know what I want more fluff wise though. 

my vision for the general is a beastlord or doombull that used to be lumineth and got turned into a beast via a transmutation spell, and retains enough thought to become a shaman / leader of his tribe.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, Acid_Nine said:

Okay, that makes a bit of sense. I managed to make two lists despite not knowing what the heck I am doing, so hopefully they don't suck! Don't have anything picked out besides the realm they are from (hysh) for background fluff ideas.

1st list: Depraved warheard:

Reveal hidden contents

- Mortal Realm: Hysh
LEADERS
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (100)

UNITS
-10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
-10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
-10 x Ungors (60)
      - Mauls & Half-Shields
-10 x Ungors (60)
          - Mauls & Half-Shields
-30 x Gors (200)
-30 x Bestigors (300)
-6 x Bullgors (280)
       - Great Axes
-6 x Bullgors (280)
       - Great Axes

BEHEMOTHS
Ghorgon (160)

BATTALIONS
Desolating Beastherd (150)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
Soulsnare Shackles (40)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 180

LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/2 ENDLESS SPELLS: 1/3 ALLIES: 0/400

And next is the depraved drove, which I guess can be played with hedonites if I wanna be crazy. 

Reveal hidden contents

- Mortal Realm: Ghyran
 - Greatfray: Allherd
LEADERS

Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (100)
Beastlord (90)

UNITS
30 x Gors (200)
30 x Gors (200)
20 x Bestigors (240)
20 x Bestigors (240)
20 x Ungors (120)
       - Shortspears & Half-Shields
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Pairs of Axes
BATTALIONS
Depraved Drove (150)
TOTAL: 1980/2000 WOUNDS: 187
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/2 ENDLESS SPELLS: 0/3 ALLIES: 0/400

I'm just getting into beastmen myself, since it seems the best way to play Tzaangors at the moment, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
In general Ungors are better than gors, at minimum sized units I think Gors have a role to play and have some advantages over ungors,  but their 32mm bases and lack of spears hold them back way too much in bigger units. They're still cheap bodies, but ungors are cheaper, can attack in up to 3 ranks with spears, and I think BoC prefers to chaff up with small screen units than to horde up to make anvils. 
Just from looking through the rules a bit though Hedonites allegiance can offer BoC a lot. the exploding hits are amazing on big blobs of ungors with spears,  and bestigors, and doombulls are amazing depravity machines with plenty of strong offensive artifacts in slaanesh. Pretenders gives the potential to kit out a hero to the extreme, and lurid haze Invaders gets a command ability for +1 to save rolls, which can push a lot of those average 4+ BoC saves over the edge.

• Like 3

I've finally caught up with this thread. 

Imho, I agree w Ganigumo on ungors v gors. Having just built 120 ungors, I would. But I have to say, they are amazing. You can't get the poses wrong - they're hilarious. I love them. That one confused head is an absolute gem. Made me laugh every time I'd finished building. Fantastic. 

But gors too, these models are absolutely beautiful. I haven't done any conversions except for the ghorgon. So I've got 206 models as they come. But they look fantastic. I'm absolutely delighted. Underpainted only so far. I need a final coat of white and then in with the browns. 

Sorry, this is turning into a diary entry now. Just wanted to share, if anyone is unsure whether to dive in and spend/build this army, do it! Imo, beautiful models - the best. I'm delighted to have made the leap. 

My only issue is originality - pushing a new idea. I'm a bit dry ATM. I'm going to paint them a variety of skin colours. Unified jungle bases. So my idea - the herdstone - I've bought Vallejo space dust airbrush colours. Anyone tried this? I'm torn between, this could be a great new magical way of representing the stone and... this will look like a karaoke microphone. 

Any thoughts? 

I should say, thank you to all you experienced players who have helped shape my idea of what I want to do on this thread. I'm totally happy and excited to be building this army and I'm confident that my direction in build represents exactly how I want to play because of all the advice. 

IMG_20200908_214322.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

I'm just getting into beastmen myself, since it seems the best way to play Tzaangors at the moment, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
In general Ungors are better than gors, at minimum sized units I think Gors have a role to play and have some advantages over ungors,  but their 32mm bases and lack of spears hold them back way too much in bigger units. They're still cheap bodies, but ungors are cheaper, can attack in up to 3 ranks with spears, and I think BoC prefers to chaff up with small screen units than to horde up to make anvils. 
Just from looking through the rules a bit though Hedonites allegiance can offer BoC a lot. the exploding hits are amazing on big blobs of ungors with spears,  and bestigors, and doombulls are amazing depravity machines with plenty of strong offensive artifacts in slaanesh. Pretenders gives the potential to kit out a hero to the extreme, and lurid haze Invaders gets a command ability for +1 to save rolls, which can push a lot of those average 4+ BoC saves over the edge.

I think depravity only works with heroes, but the idea is strong for everything else. 

The problem I have with Ungors is that their not gors. I absolutely love the god model and the lore behind them, and with Ungors being lesser I kinda don’t care about them as much? Kinda weird, but still I like the big Gor energy. I understand that Ungors are probably better all around though.  May just use Bestigors exclusively though?

Other than that, thanks for the advice. Again I am a long way off from doing this, but I am sorely tempted, especially after having so much fun playing Beastmen in Total war and Rim world.

8 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

I think depravity only works with heroes, but the idea is strong for everything else. 

The problem I have with Ungors is that their not gors. I absolutely love the god model and the lore behind them, and with Ungors being lesser I kinda don’t care about them as much? Kinda weird, but still I like the big Gor energy. I understand that Ungors are probably better all around though.  May just use Bestigors exclusively though?

Other than that, thanks for the advice. Again I am a long way off from doing this, but I am sorely tempted, especially after having so much fun playing Beastmen in Total war and Rim world.

I could have worded it better, I mean that Ungors and Bestigors in big blocks love exploding hits.

Doombulls are amazing depravity machines since they hit like a truck.

Also I definitely agree with you on the models, the Gor models appeal to me way more than the ungor models as well. its why in the list I'm painting up I'm using 2 10 man units of Gors instead of ungors to fill out my battleline.

• Like 1

Ok, I've got some newbie questions. 

1. How many spawns for a gavespawn, two beastlord list? I've got two, but I feel like there is a small chance I may one day need three? 

2. Objective holding summon unit? 3 points ungor/spawn, 4 points gor, 6 points bgor. The big 10 for my ghorgon. But I'm looking at 5 points - a fast objective holder. Cockatrice v centigors. Both fast, 5v1 model count, flying. Any thoughts on this? 

3. Is the desolating herd worth it at 150 points? I'm working on a 1990 list ATM. So I could afford another 20 raiders with 160 points. I know it depends on game and style. But the extra hits for a 6 just don't seem worth 150 points. Please tell me I'm wrong BC I'm already in the process of painting 120 of these things!! 

4 hours ago, Sam24 said:

1. How many spawns for a gavespawn, two beastlord list? I've got two, but I feel like there is a small chance I may one day need three? 

2. Objective holding summon unit? 3 points ungor/spawn, 4 points gor, 6 points bgor. The big 10 for my ghorgon. But I'm looking at 5 points - a fast objective holder. Cockatrice v centigors. Both fast, 5v1 model count, flying. Any thoughts on this? 

3. Is the desolating herd worth it at 150 points? I'm working on a 1990 list ATM. So I could afford another 20 raiders with 160 points. I know it depends on game and style. But the extra hits for a 6 just don't seem worth 150 points. Please tell me I'm wrong BC I'm already in the process of painting 120 of these things!! 

1: 3  on hand is enough for most games. I've only ran out of my pool of 3 spawn once. You also don't have to go with the very pricy gw spawn. I've used a dnd grick alpha from those little boxes you see in most (american at least) game stores. Much cheaper (6 bucks and came with a baby) and lets you explore other model ranges. Although the GW one does come with a lot of spare mutations, so it's not totally a bad deal.

2: Centigor are my prefered as you can put them somewhere out of the way and they can then reach half way across the board next turn. They are also decent on damage when drunk.  Cocatrice's shooting attack is what I'd take it for if I was taking it. That gamble on d6 mortal wounds. 

3: So the battalion's size typically allows us to pick who goes first or second which should not be underestimated. If you plan around using the battalion ability it's definitely worth it on top of all the normal benefits of a battalion. That being said, when I used my brayherd army I had it not really come up. When it did, it was devastating. Although, that was with bullgors, so it depends on what you're doing with your list. Raider blobs ambushing can do some work with the battalion ability. Being dependent on the territories in the mission to get a benefit can be bad though. There's a handful of missions that  you won't get any real chance to use it. 

So, in summary: It's good if you care about command points, first turn order and artifacts but there are enough strings attached to the ability that it's understandable if you don't want it.

Happy hunting, For Morghur!

Edited by TheArborealWalrus

18 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Does anyone have any top tips for making the most of the Ungor Raiders pre-game move? I know it’s great but I lack the tactical brain to really make use of it. 

This depends on how you are using them, 10's or a block of 30-40? 

In 10mans you use the pre game move for more/better body blocking, take objectives easier, etc.. 

When i use a large 40man I pre game move to position better which depends on who and what i'm fighting, sometimes i just forgo the pre game move.

• Like 1

SO I decided to try another list, this time featuring my favorite (non Gor)  units: the bullgors!

- Mortal Realm: Ghyran - Greatfray: Gavespawn
LEADERS
Doombull (100)
- General
Tzaangor Shaman (150)
UNITS
9 x Bullgors (420)
- Great Axes
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Great axes
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Shield
3 x Chaos Spawn (150)
BEHEMOTHS
Cygor (140)
Ghorgon (160)
Ghorgon (160)

BATTALIONS
Hungering Warherd (150)

This was just something I threw together for fun, so I know it probably stinks, but what the heck. Didn’t pick out relics or spells, but I don’t know any of them anyways.

2 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

SO I decided to try another list, this time featuring my favorite (non Gor)  units: the bullgors!

- Mortal Realm: Ghyran - Greatfray: Gavespawn
LEADERS
Doombull (100)
- General
Tzaangor Shaman (150)
UNITS
9 x Bullgors (420)
- Great Axes
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Great axes
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Shield
3 x Chaos Spawn (150)
BEHEMOTHS
Cygor (140)
Ghorgon (160)
Ghorgon (160)

BATTALIONS
Hungering Warherd (150)

This was just something I threw together for fun, so I know it probably stinks, but what the heck. Didn’t pick out relics or spells, but I don’t know any of them anyways.

I am curious about the unit of 3 spawn. Do you have further use for them? If not, you might as well just play one for Gavespawn and put the other points into a Doombull. 

Furthermore, you do not need a Tzaangor Shaman if you do not use Tzaangor units. You might as well use a Bray Shaman and for the Rest get 10 sacrificial Ungor. 

However, your list has its weaknesses because you have no screens of roadblocks. 

For artefacts:You have to have the Gavespawn Artefact and for the other one the Knowing Eye on the Shaman is good, those extra CPs always Come in Handy. 

On 9/11/2020 at 6:35 AM, 5kaven5lave said:

Does anyone have any top tips for making the most of the Ungor Raiders pre-game move? I know it’s great but I lack the tactical brain to really make use of it. 

Maddpainting is right. It depends on the play style you're going for, but hard and fast rule would be : The 10 man blocks move forwards to chaff lanes and be in your opponent's way. the big bricks you'll have to think about what you're fighting and what you want out of them. More hard/fast rules: 1: If your opponent doesn't have shooting/alpha strike to reach them leaving them on the board behind a screen might be better than ambushing. Move up behind the smaller units and fire. Our army is fast enough to reach out and touch opponents first turn in melee. Shooting very important targets will be easy. 2: If you're scared of an alpha strike on your tiny goats ambush them. They'll be safe first turn and probably will be able to help. If you need that squishy hero (4+ or less) to die, the raider blob is good for the task. Desolating beastherd will be very useful here. 3: Sometimes you NEED that objective. 40 bodies are 40 bodies. Don't expect them to survive hits but at least for a turn, that objective is yours.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:54 AM, Acid_Nine said:

Hey, having fun is an important objective too!  I was actually thinking of using a bunch of ogres I had acquired recently to play around with an all warherd list. The bulls with shields make for pretty decent tar pits and if there are enough bad guys then you will be basically immune to battleshock.  Anybody who has fought blight kings knows what it will be like getting rid of them. Gavespawn or darkwalkers are best for bulls. You might be able to get millage out of the basic stuff, but I like having something that I can spend command points on rather than the mostly useless doombull command. Not sure if you want any list advice, but Salyx is  mostly right. I would personally not take the tzaangor shaman over the normal one on the grounds of not having any endless spells to take advantage of his potion with. The normal shaman is fast enough to keep up with bulls. The three chaos spawn are fun, but not going to be much more help than one spawn. (sad but true. If there was a way to give them rend and/or boost their stats they could be terrifying) Another doombull (who can later become a spawn) wouldn't be a bad call. From my own personal experience I wouldn't recommend a unit of 9 bulls. Except under extraordinary circumstances a good portion of them won't see combat.  I'm not familiar with the warherd battalion so I don't know if you can split them up into more units. Depending on how many units are in the battalion, I'd say to split the shield boys to give you more screening and take those three off of the 9 man into another unit. You could also use the 160pts to get 3 more bulls. If you don't have that many slots I'd say split the 3 off and then make another 6 man. That does leave you with not a lot of heroes to become spawn though ...  Up to you. If you follow my advice, you'll have 160pts to play with. A good number of options with those points.

Cheers! For Morghur!!

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Like 2

Why are people so down on gors? Even for a cheap screen/sacrificial target. The 4+ save makes them sturdier than ungors per point. They also hit slightly harder per model. At only 10 points that seems reasonable for some uses

Thinking 10 man squads where you should be able to get all into melee if needed, so the base size doesn't matter.