AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

28 minutes ago, Hebroseph said:

The lot i got was 6 enlightened on disk, 6 skyfire, 3 shamans on disc and 10 tzaangors. I already have a large lot of ungors/gors and bullgors and associated hero's. Only thing I don't have is centigors(hate the model) chariots and razorpigs

Sounds like you have everything you need to play honestly (thats assuming you have the book and Herdstone).

Try this out your first few games as a base then evolve it from there. Without a battalion (I would take on personally) its 1560pts, add another 200pts for the battalion to make it 1760pts, leaving you with 240pts left over for w/e else you want, i would for sure take more chaff units, like gors, ungors, centigors, etc.. 
2 T shamans
2 Bray Shamans
Tzaangors
Ungors
Ungors
Enlighten on disks < 1 T shaman near this
Skyfires < 1 T shaman near this

Dont forget that Skyfires are for sure a shooting unit, but they still have disks attacks in melee, 6D3 with 4+/+/-1/D3 is pretty good, they can easily kill small units in melee, the Bray shamans gives all your units +3" movement, on a 16" move and with fly that means you can be anywhere you need too. T-Shamans for buffs and spells, if you are hurting for points, you can take out 1 Bray shaman, it'll hurt your movement a little, but at least your Skyfires dont fully need it.

First draft for my boc tzeentch heavy list is as follows

Darkwalkers

Grashrak with Viletide

TShaman with tendrils and desolate shard

Tshaman with Vicious Stranglehorns

Doombull General - had 100 points left over

4 x 10 ungors

1x30 ungor raiders

6 enlightened

6 sky fire

Fomoroid Crusher

Grashaks Despoilers

Wildfire taurs

Balewind

So some reasoning behind are as follows

Grashark and his group stay near the herdstone for sacrifice points and with the balewind hopefully can still contribute his tasty spell. 

I'm interested in trying to play a kind of control-esque list centered around terrain. With the desolate shard(not very good but i have to take it), vicious strangehorns and the fomoroid crusher, anything that gets near terrain will hopefully take a bunch of mortal wounds. Hopefully i would be able to funnel them near terrain with the ungor raiders.  im thinking t shaman with tendrils and shard will ambush with sky fire and raiders, to force the enemy into fighting on two fronts. Enlightened doombull and other shaman move up with the chaff and try and pick value engagements. 

Wildfire wherever i think it needs to be. I didnt put any regular beastman shamans because i figured they would get out distanced fast with the disc movements. 

Also, phantasomagoria is the only battalion that tzaangors can go in right? Seem super overpriced though. 

The bray shaman is pretty quick as his movement buff affects himself so his base move is 9" + d6 for the run. A decent run roll of CP means he's only a couple of inches of the pace of the disks.

I'm not sure Darkwalkers is great for tzaangor heavy list as they can move so fast anyway they're more likely to get closer than 9" away for a charge. The bullgor +1 to charge really does work well with Darkwalkers though.

I'm also keen to hear how well the fomoroid crusher works. We have a couple of beasts players in our meta and we're struggling to keep up with the more competitive armies so looking for anything to add in. Belakor seems to be a pretty useful addition and i'm looking at getting an allied manticore in for a more heavy duty hero - after a couple of poor showings on places of arcane power!

I just purchased a chaos sorcerer on manticore to run in my mortal heavy tzeentch army. Needed something kinda solid to hold the middle line. 

Personally, I don't like any of the subfactions for BoC, they all have to many weird drawbacks for the benefits they provide. I only picked dark walker because of the mortal wounds based around terrain and the fact that i can ambush skyfires which makes them able to hide from alpha strike and always get to get their first volley in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hebroseph said:

I just purchased a chaos sorcerer on manticore to run in my mortal heavy tzeentch army. Needed something kinda solid to hold the middle line. 

Personally, I don't like any of the subfactions for BoC, they all have to many weird drawbacks for the benefits they provide. I only picked dark walker because of the mortal wounds based around terrain and the fact that i can ambush skyfires which makes them able to hide from alpha strike and always get to get their first volley in. 

Nah, they are all pretty good and has their purposes. Gavespawn for sure being the best and especially with Enlighten, given them + atks is very strong. ALso the utility of heroes dying creating a spawn alone can win games. Tarpitting a monster unit (if it cant fight twice or fight in the hero phase) is golden.

You also don't need Darkwalkers for Skyfires, remember with a Bray shaman they move 19" and they fire 24", that is a 43" shooting threat range, you can just place them on the table far enough away to be safe, almost nothing in the game can move+shoot that far that will target them b.c in doing so they are in range of you charging them (b.c we are so fast) which will throw away their unit. So don't worry about alpha strike so much against them. I'd be more worried about my heroes and Enlighten dying.

Also about the Battalion, it lets you become a 1 drop army, gives you a CP and relic. All which are extremely powerful once you learn the game a bit better. Being able to take first or second on your choice with BoC can win you the game. There has been games where its 6 objectives that are all within 12" of the edges, i went first ambushing 3 units then had my other units move up, claiming 4 of the objectives turn 1, I mad sure to be in a position even with a double turn he cant get 3 of them. Won the game by turn 3 as i had to many points.

Edited by Maddpainting

So some time in the future there will be a dubbles Tornament. Close by where I live. So just playing around with some Ideas. 

What would you say? Chance anything? 

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos

- Greatfray: Gavespawn

LEADERS

Beastlord (90)

- General

- Command Trait : Unravelling Aura

- Artefact : Mutating Gnarlblade

Grashrak Fellhoof (140)

Great-Bray Shaman (100)

UNITS

10 x Bestigors (120)

10 x Bestigors (120)

10 x Ungors (60)

- Spears & Half-Shields

10 x Ungors (60)

- Spears & Half-Shields

3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (180)

1 x Chaos Spawn (50)

5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Wildfire Taurus (80)

Herdstone (0)

TOTAL: 1000

COMMAND POINTS: 0

WOUNDS: 77 

LEADERS: 3/6 

On 2/9/2020 at 7:28 PM, Death1942 said:

Thinking of running this as my first Beasts army and would love some thoughts on it:

Gavespawn 1970 points
Ghyran

Ghorgon

Mindstealer Sphiranx

Desolating Beastherd
Ghorgon
Beastlord, General, Ghyrstrike, Unraveling aura
30x Bestigors

6x Bullgors, Great Axes
10x Gors

Great Bray Shaman. Tendrils of Atrophy
Great Bray Shaman, Vicious Stranglethorns
40x Ungor Raiders

10x Ungors, Swords
Wildfire Taurus

I know the second Ghorgon probably isn't ideal but I am going 3x starter kits so need to get some use out of him first.  More Bestigors is probably the better play over Bullgors but I love the models and want to try them out first.  Sphinx can be screened by the horde on one flank and the taurus on the other and combined I should be able to control a lot of combats (maybe making the bullgors a bit better).

Looks good to me.  You can get around the backside with those Raiders and cause some big headaches, and launch your Bestigors turn 1 into almost every enemy unit.  Is that battalion the extra hit one or the extra pile-in one?  I always use Brass Despoilers.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2020 at 4:17 AM, Moleculeaxium said:

Just bought a unit of dragon ogers. 

Which weapon option do you think is the best. Not sure which to take. 

Maybe I'm just going to magnetize them. To have some options for Warcry. 🤔

They could be a little tricky to magnetize as I recall them not having flat shoulder joints like good ol' Chaos Space Marines.  But if you run them as pure Beasts or Nurgle, I agree the double-weapons, but for a Khorne army using Brass Despoilers, I would actually use the Crushers with a Bloodsecrator to give them extra attacks, and they could attack in the hero phase too.

Glaives are cool with rend and reach but just lack oompf when I used them a couple times.

• Like 1

I've got a game coming up next Tuesday vs Tzeentch.  I think he's gonna use the Summoner's Guild, which I think is mortal Arcanites and their ilk.  I'm gonna use this:

Darkwalkers:

Great Bray Shaman

Doombull (general, Darkwalkers Nomad trait, Ghyrstrike from Ghyran)

Doombull (desolate shard)

3x3 Bullgors w Great Axes

3x3 Bullgors w Axes and Shields

20 Bestigors (cuz I only have 20)

30 Gors (shields and weapons)

2x1 Tuskgor Chariots

Brass Despoilers

Ravening Direflock

Chronomantic Cogs

My thoughts are with what I have, I can only fit 8 units into that one chunk of the Brass Despoilers, and I love my old Bullgors who need the hit rerolls, so thinking I should keep them smallish units to get more in range of that aura bonus.  The Gors and Bestigors can either outflank or run up, and Bullgors could outflank as needed. 

I think the Direflock spell is pretty neat; seems like a good way to screen against enemy charges, and also debuff bravery if applicable.  And it's a screen that's easily redeployed.   Cogs seems solid for Bullgors; hopefully I can get it off vs a Tzeentch army.

But maybe for my group of Beasts I don't even need to go Darkwalkers?  Since the Brayherds can Outflank anyways?  That would free up the Doombull general for a different trait and relic.   Though I'd lose that teleport ability, which might be very useful.  

I'll take notes and post a report.  Gonna stick with pure Beasts for a while and practice like I did with my Azgorh army.  Only way to git gud!

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I've got a game coming up next Tuesday vs Tzeentch.  I think he's gonna use the Summoner's Guild, which I think is mortal Arcanites and their ilk.  I'm gonna use this:

Darkwalkers:

Great Bray Shaman

Doombull (general, Darkwalkers Nomad trait, Ghyrstrike from Ghyran)

Doombull (desolate shard)

3x3 Bullgors w Great Axes

3x3 Bullgors w Axes and Shields

20 Bestigors (cuz I only have 20)

30 Gors (shields and weapons)

2x1 Tuskgor Chariots

Brass Despoilers

Ravening Direflock

Chronomantic Cogs

My thoughts are with what I have, I can only fit 8 units into that one chunk of the Brass Despoilers, and I love my old Bullgors who need the hit rerolls, so thinking I should keep them smallish units to get more in range of that aura bonus.  The Gors and Bestigors can either outflank or run up, and Bullgors could outflank as needed. 

I think the Direflock spell is pretty neat; seems like a good way to screen against enemy charges, and also debuff bravery if applicable.  And it's a screen that's easily redeployed.   Cogs seems solid for Bullgors; hopefully I can get it off vs a Tzeentch army.

But maybe for my group of Beasts I don't even need to go Darkwalkers?  Since the Brayherds can Outflank anyways?  That would free up the Doombull general for a different trait and relic.   Though I'd lose that teleport ability, which might be very useful.  

I'll take notes and post a report.  Gonna stick with pure Beasts for a while and practice like I did with my Azgorh army.  Only way to git gud!

I would strongly consider combining 2 of the Axe Bullgors and 2 of the shield Bullgor units into a single 6x unit.  More frontage and a better target for buffs and it opens up 2 slots in the battalion for you to split the Gors into 10 man blocks.  I think with 3x10 Gor units you can now screen the bulls much better and gives you more flexibility to reach around the board.  I have personally never rated the Direflock but can't really see where you could use the 30 points.  You only have 1 spellcaster in your army so I think taking 2 endless spells is a bit too many points sunk into there.  I would try and grab a second shaman (maybe the new warcry one?) or drop one or both of the spells.  Most armies you come across are probably going to be able to completely shut down your magic without much effort.

Do you have ungors to summon onto the board?  I think your summoning pool needs to be lots of  cheap big units to cover objectives.

I was thinking the cogs could be cast turn 1 out of unbind range, net some good turn one charges and let the second wave hit in choice spots.  But true we Beasts have weak casting.  I’d love to fit a Shaggoth in there somehow.  And to have the old metal model.   

I’ll definitely give the bigger Bullgor units a try and chop up the Gors.   

my summoning pool is pretty dry right now.  Guess  I should  get some stuff for each tier?  Ungors for the 3 pts, I could omit chariots from the army list and summon them.  Cockatrice and jabberslythe are within my kitbashing reach.   Centigors would be good.   

Also I have the old giant skull base from the magewrath throne; would that be big enough for a cool custom herdstone? I would put a Morgur statue or fire pyre up top.  

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I was thinking the cogs could be cast turn 1 out of unbind range, net some good turn one charges and let the second wave hit in choice spots.  But true we Beasts have weak casting.  I’d love to fit a Shaggoth in there somehow.  And to have the old metal model.   

I’ll definitely give the bigger Bullgor units a try and chop up the Gors.   

my summoning pool is pretty dry right now.  Guess  I should  get some stuff for each tier?  Ungors for the 3 pts, I could omit chariots from the army list and summon them.  Cockatrice and jabberslythe are within my kitbashing reach.   Centigors would be good.   

Also I have the old giant skull base from the magewrath throne; would that be big enough for a cool custom herdstone? I would put a Morgur statue or fire pyre up top.  

The herdstone idea sounds fine, I think earlier in the thread someone mentioned roughly the "base size" of a herdstone so if it fits that then go wild.

I think you definitely want to aim for more low end summoning as a rule.  Definitely doesn't hurt to have a cockatrice or jabber up your sleeve but most likely you won't need it in many games.

3 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

I'm converting my own 2nd Herstone actually. but i'm copying the old Tree from old world Beastmen... WTF is our terrain a stone when we had terrain for years and it was a tree..... w/e

Herdstones are WAY older than that tree they used for a bit in 6th edition. Herdstones go back to realms of chaos era. 

This list went 4-1 at a tournament over the weekend in Australia.  His only loss was on the top table at the very end so I think he ended up 6th overall.  I really like the list and I will see if I can dig up the post tournament write up/podcast for the details when it comes out.

Screenshot_20200224-124008.png

Screenshot_20200224-124038.png

Edited by Death1942
Fixed up photos

1 hour ago, Maddpainting said:

Yeah i saw that, its how i've been playing for the most part, 70+ raiders, 50+ bestigors, a couple ungors, BL+3 Shamans, battalion. 

I want to run a variant of it with 6 bullgor and 30 bestigor instead of 50.  Taking the sphynx as well and dropping 1 of the big blobs of raiders and 1 of the shamans.

How have you found the list?  It looks to be probably our most competitive mono beasts list.

7 minutes ago, Death1942 said:

I want to run a variant of it with 6 bullgor and 30 bestigor instead of 50.  Taking the sphynx as well and dropping 1 of the big blobs of raiders and 1 of the shamans.

How have you found the list?  It looks to be probably our most competitive mono beasts list.

I win more than i lose. Skaven is my biggest weakness. The raiders and Spawns are normally my MVP's oddly enough lol

1 hour ago, decker_cky said:

I'm interested in hearing more about the list as well, particularly regarding the value he sees from taking grashrak, since grashrak over another shaman increases that from a one drop to a 3 drop list.

3 drop still beats out a good chunk of lists.  I can only think of a handful of 1 drop armies around atm (that are decent) and most lists I see that are low drop start at 3 or 4 depending on the faction.

I am also interested to see if he is worth taking in regards to increasing the drops.  I suspect most people are running him as a new toy to see how things go and we will see if he stays in lists in the long run or starts to drop off.

3 hours ago, Death1942 said:

3 drop still beats out a good chunk of lists.  I can only think of a handful of 1 drop armies around atm (that are decent) and most lists I see that are low drop start at 3 or 4 depending on the faction.

I am also interested to see if he is worth taking in regards to increasing the drops.  I suspect most people are running him as a new toy to see how things go and we will see if he stays in lists in the long run or starts to drop off.

Changehost is a 1 drop, thats most likely the strongest 1 drop atm, Also now Deepkin can finally use their 12-3 now too.