AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Be'Lakor ignore save modifiers so he's immune to the Herdstone.

I've personally never had 20 man units Bestigor work for me, they become a much bigger and more obvious target and I've never had more than 11 actually attack on the charge. I always believe either take all min squads or take a big brick of 30 to be the distraction for all your min squads. I just don't think 20 has enough benefits to make up for the detriments. (I more often than only get 8 or 9 of my 10 man units fighting on the charge).

I also agree with Maddpainting about the Gor. Never more than 10 man but they are an underestimated distraction unit at that size and take more than an average unit to one shot in melee making a reliable cheap screen. The number of time my opponents will attack 10 Gor over 4 Bestigor on the charge is hilarious.

Caviat: 20+ size units of Gor and Bestigor are exempt from everything above when taken as Slaanesh. Had 24 Gor kill a blob of 40 Skeletons they are scary good, Bestigor more so.

Edited by Alan Mandelson

My ungor are there for screening whereas the 20 blob of gor get the +1 attack if they are ignored (and up the back I hope they don't take any damage until they get charged).

Fair point about the bestigor, I can easily split them down to 3x 10s or group up into 1x 30.  I might play around with both and see how they go.

Good point about the ethereal for Be'lakor, that makes it much easier to dump into the middle of the fight.

1 hour ago, Alan Mandelson said:

I've personally never had 20 man units Bestigor work for me, they become a much bigger and more obvious target and I've never had more than 11 actually attack on the charge. I always believe either take all min squads or take a big brick of 30 to be the distraction for all your min squads. I just don't think 20 has enough benefits to make up for the detriments. (I more often than only get 8 or 9 of my 10 man units fighting on the charge).

I've used cogs with Bestigors to help multi-charge several units, and I've got all 30 into combat a few times. Worked wonders with Depraved Drove in Slaanesh Allegiance for those triple hits on 6's.

1 hour ago, Death1942 said:

My ungor are there for screening whereas the 20 blob of gor get the +1 attack if they are ignored (and up the back I hope they don't take any damage until they get charged).

Fair point about the bestigor, I can easily split them down to 3x 10s or group up into 1x 30.  I might play around with both and see how they go.

Good point about the ethereal for Be'lakor, that makes it much easier to dump into the middle of the fight.

The +1atk does double their damage, but it goes from 1.6D to 3.3D vs 5+ save, if you get all 20 in melee vs 5+, its still only 6.6D. So you normally can't even kill a 10man. 

IMO thats not good enough to worry about 1 not dying, and trying to get enough models in to work, just split them into 2x10 mans and usee the now easier movements of them being split to be more effective.

But thats just my opinion, i do play with 3x10 time to time (Brayherd battalion for fun games). They just don't do anything but get in the way (And IMO thats what they are used for... sadly)

2 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

The +1atk does double their damage, but it goes from 1.6D to 3.3D vs 5+ save, if you get all 20 in melee vs 5+, its still only 6.6D. So you normally can't even kill a 10man. 

IMO thats not good enough to worry about 1 not dying, and trying to get enough models in to work, just split them into 2x10 mans and usee the now easier movements of them being split to be more effective.

But thats just my opinion, i do play with 3x10 time to time (Brayherd battalion for fun games). They just don't do anything but get in the way (And IMO thats what they are used for... sadly)

That is a shame, wish they had an extra attack base or even a bit of rend.  I love the models but they seem difficult to justify in the army.  Do you find their 32mm base good for screening or is it better to just run ungor at 25mm for cheaper points?

Am thinking of swapping my Cygor for a Jabber. The Cygor's unbinds are nice but dude sucks in melee and dies easily. The Jabber won't hold up much longer but at least I have the chance to dish some real dmg plus the Aura of Madness, though unlikely, forces my opponent to make some hard decisions about where to place his units. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Am thinking of swapping my Cygor for a Jabber. The Cygor's unbinds are nice but dude sucks in melee and dies easily. The Jabber won't hold up much longer but at least I have the chance to dish some real dmg plus the Aura of Madness, though unlikely, forces my opponent to make some hard decisions about where to place his units. Thoughts?

Then why not a Ghorgon?

2 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Then why not a Ghorgon?

Already have one in my list. Here's the list, swapping Cygor for Jabber:

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura  
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade  
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye  
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
20 x Bestigors (240)
20 x Bestigors (240)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
1 x Tuskgor Chariots (60)
Ghorgon (160)
Jabberslythe (160)
Pestilent Throng (200)
Ravening Direflock (30)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 141

1 minute ago, Televiper11 said:

Already have one in my list. Here's the list, swapping Cygor for Jabber:

- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura  
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade  
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye  
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
20 x Bestigors (240)
20 x Bestigors (240)
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
Ghorgon (160)
Jabberslythe (160)
Pestilent Throng (200)
Ravening Direflock (30)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 141

For me that still doesn’t answer the question haha you could still field 2 Ghorgon!

Btw wouldn’t 10 man Bestigors units make more sense with the Pestilent mortal wound spamming?

5 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

For me that still doesn’t answer the question haha you could still field 2 Ghorgon!

Btw wouldn’t 10 man Bestigors units make more sense with the Pestilent mortal wound spamming?

If I had a second Ghorgon, I totally would. Might consider it.

As for the Bestigor question, I've considered it both ways but the 2x20 gives me better board control and given how easy it is for most armies to shrug MWs at this point, I'm think of them as more of a bonus than the point of the list. 4x10 sounds like a headache but maybe I'll go 1x20 and 2x10!

Just finished putting more "dragon" into my Ogre, and also finally got the weapon for my Beastmen DP partially done and thought to myself why not share it some of the progress. Still very heavily in the WIP zone.

Spoiler

It took some adjusting but the Cold one head fit rather nicely. Though the I will need to greenstuff part of the neck due to elevation differences.

20200203_224804.jpg.e154936af53e29ef2f83d71c72217e03.jpg20200203_224832.jpg.8764fb771d8ae5b3e99ef4c61fb1f53f.jpg

Back shot. The wings are quite impressive considering the pretty old kit they come from (Gulavhar terror of Arnor from LotR). Big enough but not too much to make the model unwieldy (though about using different, bigger ones, but it was a bit too much honestly, though it looked good)

20200203_225056.jpg.5607a6c1515d080ccdaf8f888cba50a1.jpg

If one big axe aint enough for you, just hammer two of em together! Beastmen too can have funky looking weapons. I think I`ll sit a skull on top of it for good measures now that I`m looking at it like this.

20200203_225021.jpg.01ddcbd7d0822c98187fd0af4676e76d.jpg

Yop, he`s a big beefy boy, even without head and arms holding the weapon.

20200203_225213.jpg.d0f2f033a148583b4d5085bf937d30f4.jpg

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

If I had a second Ghorgon, I totally would. Might consider it.

As for the Bestigor question, I've considered it both ways but the 2x20 gives me better board control and given how easy it is for most armies to shrug MWs at this point, I'm think of them as more of a bonus than the point of the list. 4x10 sounds like a headache but maybe I'll go 1x20 and 2x10!

I don't think anyone would care if you ran a Cygor as a Ghorgon, they are basically the same model.

• Like 1

Hello all!  Seeking some advice from you mighty beastlords! 

When I first was looking into AoS I was sure I was going to start off with beast of chaos, as I absolutley love the aesthetic, however for various reasons I ended up going a different direction.  Now, two armies later (1 order, 1 destruction), I am turing my eye back towards chaos and wondering if this is the time to finally start what I wanted to at the beginning of it all.  

Now, I know BoC is not in the best spot right now, and while I don't need to win all the time,  I'd love to be able to make the games interesting.  My local scene is semi competitive, with a few folks bringing heavy hitter lists here and there (for tournaments especially).    The following is what I was thinking for an initial list.. what do you think, is it viable?  Is running straight BoC just plain inferior to running beastmen under one of the chaos gods (I'm looking at you Slaanesh!)?  Any advice or insight would be great!

Greatfray: Gavespawn

Mortal Realm: Hyish

** LEADERS **

Beastlord (90)

- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade

Great Bray Shaman (100)

- General

- Command Trait: Unraveling Aura

- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch

- Lore: Titanic Fury (or Tendrils of Atrophy)

Great Bray Shaman (100)

- Lore: Vicious Stranglethorns

** UNITS **

Bestigors x10 (120)

Bestigors x10 (120)

Bestigors x10 (120)

Ungors x10 (60)

- Mauls and Half Shields

Gors x10 (70)

- Blades and Beastshields

Gors x10 (70)

Ungor Raiders x30 (240)

Ungor Raiders x30 (240)

Chaos Spawn x 1 (50)

** BEHEMOTHS **

Ghorgon (160)

Ghorgon (160)

Cygor (140)

** BATTALIONS **

Desolating Brayherd (150)

1990/2000

For semi comp, you have all the tools to win, and looks like its fun to play. If you are somewhat new and have a vision, i always want players to play the list 3-4x before changing so they have a good feel what they liked, didn't like, how it played, and then they know 100% what they want out of a list and more feedback from others will go a much longer way. 

Play the list a few times and let us know how you felt about it, what you struggled with and what you liked, then we can really hone in on what to play. 

Let us know :) 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chyortskazal said:

Greatfray: Gavespawn

Mortal Realm: Hyish

** LEADERS **

Beastlord (90)

- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade

Great Bray Shaman (100)

- General

- Command Trait: Unraveling Aura

- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch

- Lore: Titanic Fury (or Tendrils of Atrophy)

Great Bray Shaman (100)

- Lore: Vicious Stranglethorns

** UNITS **

Bestigors x10 (120)

Bestigors x10 (120)

Bestigors x10 (120)

Ungors x10 (60)

- Mauls and Half Shields

Gors x10 (70)

Gors x10 (70)

Ungor Raiders x30 (240)

Ungor Raiders x30 (240)

Chaos Spawn x 1 (50)

** BEHEMOTHS **

Ghorgon (160)

Ghorgon (160)

Cygor (140)

** BATTALIONS **

Desolating Brayherd (150)

1990/2000

I think you should ditch the Cygor for maybe 3 bullgors or a doombull (outside of the battalion).  They perform way better than the Cygor and you already have 2 big beasts in the army.

9 hours ago, Death1942 said:

I think you should ditch the Cygor for maybe 3 bullgors or a doombull (outside of the battalion).  They perform way better than the Cygor and you already have 2 big beasts in the army.

Thanks for the advice!  The cygor is in there at least initially as I was basing this off an initial investment in 3 start collecting boxes (and I really love the model).  I do think I would ultimately phase him out for something else -- perhaps bullgors as you suggest.  Cheers!

Okay, so I'm probably going to enter this armylist for the Alliance Open here in the Netherlands (last weeked of february).

Shoot!

Spells can be chosen before each game (I find this strange but I don't mind at all since I can switch depending on the match-up).

Armylist:

"One for all and all for Herd"
Greatfray: Allherd
Realm of battle: Hysh

Leaders:
Doombull (general)
- Blade of the Desecrator
- Dominator

Doombull
- Aetherquartz Brooch

Great Bray-Shaman
- Tendrils of Atrophy

Great Bray-Shaman
- Vicious Stranglethrons
- The Knowing Eye

Battleline:
10 Gors (shields)
10 Gors (shields)
10 Gors (shields)
10 Ungors (blades & shields)
6 Bullgors (great axe)
3 Bullgors (great axe)

Behemoths:
1 Ghorgon

Other Units:
10 Bestigors
10 Bestigors

Battalions:
Depraved Drove (150 pts, containing all the Ungors and the Shamans)
Brass Despoilers (190 point, containing everything else)

+1 Command point bought

Makes exactly 2.000 points and 2 drops.

Summoning Pool:
10 Ungors
10 Ungor Raiders
10 Gors
10 Bestigors
1 Chimera
1 Cygor
5 Centigors
2 Chaos Spawn
1 Cockatrice
3 Dragon Ogors (War glaives)
3 Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc
3 Skyfires

Any thoughts? I only own 10 Ungors Raiders and I can't paint more up by then so please take that into account.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Great Bray Tom
  • Like 1

Just remember that your CA to gain PCP is only when your General is alive so be careful with your Doombulls. I'd personally just min squad your Bulls in this type of list but that is a personal choice.

Not a bad summoning list. I'd also advise not to summon whenever you have points but when you need something in particular.

27 minutes ago, Alan Mandelson said:

Just remember that your CA to gain PCP is only when your General is alive so be careful with your Doombulls. I'd personally just min squad your Bulls in this type of list but that is a personal choice.

Not a bad summoning list. I'd also advise not to summon whenever you have points but when you need something in particular.

Thanks for the tips!

Usually I use the first and second turn to crack up the points and everything after rnd 2 is just bonus PCP!

Regarding the summoning: yes very true! My go-to is first turn backline Raiders when possible just to harass and make them stretch out the army a little.

What do you guys find yourself summoning most of the time?

5 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Thanks for the tips!

Usually I use the first and second turn to crack up the points and everything after rnd 2 is just bonus PCP!

Regarding the summoning: yes very true! My go-to is first turn backline Raiders when possible just to harass and make them stretch out the army a little.

What do you guys find yourself summoning most of the time?

I like to summon 10 raiders, they are annoying if not dealt with and they can run around in the background and deal some damage without just charging into combat and die. 

If I need more power on a flank then I summon bestigors. 

But you do more to your opponent then you might think by choosing raider because thay force the opponent to move something away from "the big battle" to deal with them.