AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

19 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I thought about furies but i like the old metal ones.  Decided to just wait for the mental cat and ally that to the beasts.  Maybe two for both headdresses.   Kinda also want to make chicken centigors with tzaangor upper parts and chicken bodies.    

Be'lakor + Cat can make some really cool control options.

15 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

We really need to have Monsters of Chaos in our book as a legal keyword. IDK why we don't.

This.

I mean, ours is a faction that should consist of all sorts of anything that has been mutated by chaos. Be it human (elf, dwarf), animal or plant in origin. 

And yet there is tons of stuff that fit narratively, thematically, but do not have the keyword required for us to take them. And seeing as GW doesn't really care about this army in the slightest, even a simple thing as giving us Monsters of Chaos keyword, so that we can legally make use of these is clearly to much to ask for. 

But.... you know this is how Beastmen players felt back in the day, when they released Dragon Ogors, and gave them to Warriors of Chaos (the current StD), and didnt include them for Beastmen. All if would took is just add them via FAQ. 5 minutes of writing it and uploading the file.

I mean, ok so you dont want to give us our very own new flashy toys. Thats fine, slightly salty but still fine. But at least make those that already exist and are neutrally chaotic (raptorix for example > even the description says its a wild beast mutated by chaos...) available to us. There is no detriment, heck BoC players will bolster the sales of those kits if we can legally use them without restrictions. 

I am not asking for things that are army specific like Bloodthirsters, Keepers, or Flaming chariots of Tzeentch but, for the more neutral things ? Why not ? Heck I believe Beastmen should have their own version of Demon Prince, just like Skaven have the Verminlord. Thats one is an amazing sculpt that must`ve sold in thousands, I am sure there is plenty of BoC players who would love to add similarly impressive model to not just their collection but to their fielded army as well. (I mean I am converting my own,  just because I want to have a BoC Demon Prince).

This army could have so much more due to how wide spread the thematic nature of it is. And equally GW could make so much more money if they released nice looking new models with decent enough rules, and also opened some of the existing ones to us via a simple keyword addition. 

I mean, I dont understand it. The money is out there, easy for taking, and yet they seems not just to ignore it, they seem outright oblivious to such an easy to do cash grab. It truly boggles the mind this one.

• Like 1

100% agree and i remember when BoC was split and had units taken away i played 5th-7th. 

Also units like KoS, BT, etc.. they actually don't have the MoC keyword, they are Monsters but not MoC. SO it works anyways, and if a couple did they could faq that off of them (I think the FW dwarf Azgorh army big bull might be MoC).

At least do this faq "Beasts of Chaos can now Ally with Monsters of Chaos" as it is a subfaction right now.

Edited by Maddpainting

3 hours ago, Myrdin said:

This.

I mean, ours is a faction that should consist of all sorts of anything that has been mutated by chaos. Be it human (elf, dwarf), animal or plant in origin. 

And yet there is tons of stuff that fit narratively, thematically, but do not have the keyword required for us to take them. And seeing as GW doesn't really care about this army in the slightest, even a simple thing as giving us Monsters of Chaos keyword, so that we can legally make use of these is clearly to much to ask for. 

But.... you know this is how Beastmen players felt back in the day, when they released Dragon Ogors, and gave them to Warriors of Chaos (the current StD), and didnt include them for Beastmen. All if would took is just add them via FAQ. 5 minutes of writing it and uploading the file.

I mean, ok so you dont want to give us our very own new flashy toys. Thats fine, slightly salty but still fine. But at least make those that already exist and are neutrally chaotic (raptorix for example > even the description says its a wild beast mutated by chaos...) available to us. There is no detriment, heck BoC players will bolster the sales of those kits if we can legally use them without restrictions. 

I am not asking for things that are army specific like Bloodthirsters, Keepers, or Flaming chariots of Tzeentch but, for the more neutral things ? Why not ? Heck I believe Beastmen should have their own version of Demon Prince, just like Skaven have the Verminlord. Thats one is an amazing sculpt that must`ve sold in thousands, I am sure there is plenty of BoC players who would love to add similarly impressive model to not just their collection but to their fielded army as well. (I mean I am converting my own,  just because I want to have a BoC Demon Prince).

This army could have so much more due to how wide spread the thematic nature of it is. And equally GW could make so much more money if they released nice looking new models with decent enough rules, and also opened some of the existing ones to us via a simple keyword addition. 

I mean, I dont understand it. The money is out there, easy for taking, and yet they seems not just to ignore it, they seem outright oblivious to such an easy to do cash grab. It truly boggles the mind this one.

This so much this. 

Only thing I am not very fond of is a demon prince thing... Beasts now are 100% physical manifestation of chaos, so demons fluff wise are not cool. But I really would love a central massive piece such as: An Avatar of Morghur (an Uber Spawn thing with hero abilities) or even more an Ancient Shaggoth. I mean those dudes should be older than Chaos itself dating back to the creation of the Old World (we know some of them survived) so a random 3A 10W dude doesn't make them justice. I would really live to see something like Kholek in Total War... Something that brutality-wise would make tremble guys like Archaon or Katakros.... 

Edited by tupavko

2 hours ago, tupavko said:

This so much this. 

Only thing I am not very fond of is a demon prince thing... Beasts now are 100% physical manifestation of chaos, so demons fluff wise are not cool. But I really would love a central massive piece such as: An Avatar of Morghur (an Uber Spawn thing with hero abilities) or even more an Ancient Shaggoth. I mean those dudes should be older than Chaos itself dating back to the creation of the Old World (we know some of them survived) so a random 3A 10W dude doesn't make them justice. I would really live to see something like Kholek in Total War... Something that brutality-wise would make tremble guys like Archaon or Katakros.... 

Why not both ? :D

I think the Shaggoth in general should be same base size as Gorghon, and at least half its height minimum. Much more umpf on the model and much more umpf on the warscroll. And then a special named Shaggoth. Yes my friend, YES! I also Wanna see the giant  Father of all Shaggoths aka big daddy Kolek Suneater himself. I remember reading somewhere that thing is Mountain Sized!

In regards to the DP, It doesnt necesarily have to be a DP per say. But more in essence of what it is. Some super buffed up Beastlord who managed defeat many foes, and somehow one way or another became a Demon Prince like entity. As I said, just Imagine the new amazing looking Verminlord, but with a Beastlord. I would buy that immediately no questions asked!

*And while I know we dont agree on this one, I would like to see some sort of Beastmen DP because I wanna finally see some recognition for Beastmen. I dont care which warp entity bestows its blessing. There were mentions of a Great Beast God... I came up with this as a semi joke, semi fluff for my Beastmen back in the day, and imagine my surprise when I found a line like this in the codex. I think it was in the panel of Morghur or the one describing Chaos as a state of things/Realm as the Beast God. So having an avatar of that would at least in my mind give the BoC the well earned love they deserve from Chaos itself. But thats just me, as I said it can be a completely different entity, not one of the 4 Chaos Gods. Just something demigod like with an amazing model to put on the table ^^

I mean we are Beast of Chaos, who said we cant have more than one big hero monster? :P

Edited by Myrdin

On 1/27/2020 at 12:21 PM, Fluffy Moo Moo said:

Weird I’ve been doing super well with bullgors lists. I guess mileage may vary.

The Moo Moo list II - Udder Revenge of the Moo

Greatfray darkwalkers (also works well with allherd)

Doombull (general) - has greatfray required relic 100

Gorshrak fellblade (with retinue) 140

Brayshaman (with relic that on 4+ gain a command point) 100

3 Bullgor’s with great axes 140

30 Bestigor’s 300

10 Gors with shields 70

2x Gorgon’s 320

Battalion: Brass Despoilers 190 (contains everything except two Bray Shaman’s - three drop)

Endless Spells:

Chronomantic Cogs 80

The Moo Moo list III - When Milk Gets Depraved

Greatfray darkwalkers

Doombull (general) - has ghyrstrike 100

Gorshrak fellblade (with retinue) 140

Brayshaman (with relic from darkwalkers) 100

6 Bullgor’s with great axes 280

6 Bullgor’s with great axes 280

30 Bestigor’s 300

10 Gors with shields 70

10 Gors with shields 70

10 Ungors with shields 60

2x Gorgon’s 320

Battalion: Deprraved Drove 150 

Endless Spells:

Chronomantic Cogs 80

How are your 3-bull units?  

Why does everyone take Gorshrak??  I don't get it other than he's got a retinue.

2 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Why does everyone take Gorshrak??  I don't get it other than he's got a retinue.

Grashrak has the Savage bolt spell which debuffs a unit so you get +1 to hit against it in melee.  Cast that on a big beefy unit and send in multiple of your own units and most of your army is now hitting on 3s rather than 4s.

12 hours ago, tupavko said:

Something like this? 

Since you named the Vermin Lord... 

IMG_20190929_162503_811.jpg

IMG_20190929_135428.jpg

beast_07.jpg

Thats really bad ass but its a bit too much Puff magic smoke and too little BEEF for my taste! :D

But still,this is amazing skulpt and paintjob you did there. I mean holy hell this would be an amazing character. Imagine it having two forms a mage and a combat one. This would be the mage one, and the other would be more umpf, meat horns and anger. Honestly I can also see this being used instead of the Wildfire Taurus.

....I was always a huge fan of Malagor the Dark Omen. Really loved that one. Such a shame they made him go puff like all other named Beastmen, and turned his model into basic shaman.

Hell Imagine him returning, in DP form. Similar like Morathi works. You have your small infantry sized Malagor, and then you have this amazing thing here replace him, when he goes into overdrive.

Edit: I love those small smoke Gor heads floating off from that globe. Thats so adorable :3 

Edited by Myrdin

10 hours ago, Death1942 said:

Grashrak has the Savage bolt spell which debuffs a unit so you get +1 to hit against it in melee.  Cast that on a big beefy unit and send in multiple of your own units and most of your army is now hitting on 3s rather than 4s.

Yeah I kept reading the wrong warscroll in the app.  Thanks!

18 hours ago, Popisdead said:

How are your 3-bull units?  

The reason I take 3 man units is it’s easier to get the 9” wholly within khorne buff. I would absolutely take 6 man units instead to get more of a buff outta the doombull, but honestly because Gorshrak debuffs the ENEMY unit so that MY units get +1 to hit - MSU is fine. Further, you tend to put activate your opponent and it lessens the chance that an entire unit goes poof. 

Btw the argument for a bigger unit is that you can get a much higher usage out of the doombull buff, and throw more attacks - but meh.

Gorshrak in my opinion is a must take now for BoC - almost on the same level as Belakor. His spell does D3 mortal wounds (meh) but any of your units attacking the affected unit now get +1 to hit. Oh did your opponent bring 30 super dudes... enjoy everything that charged them getting +1 to hit!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Guess I'll need to get me a Gorshrak then.  Does he deploy with his retinue as a single drop?

No. Extra drops are his biggest drawback.

Generally adds 2 drops to a list. Only battalion he fits into is phantasmagoria, and his unit doesn't fit there. 

Phantasmagoria of Fate is not able to have Tzaangor Enlightened on Discs, it is spelled out plainly in the battletome. If it had listed TZAANGOR ENLIGHTENED instead of Tzaangor Enlightened it would be keywords, and the disced version would be valid.

So I don't understand the resoning here. As Tzaangor Enlightened /Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc are the same warscroll. 

Oh, battlescribe people don't know the rules a lot of the time, but you can actually build your own and share it. Why not use the free website army builder from GW?

Yes you can use Enlighten on Disks in the battalion, as its the same warscroll for us.

Edited by Maddpainting

2 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

Oh, battlescribe people don't know the rules a lot of the time, but you can actually build your own and share it. Why not use the free website army builder from GW?

Yes you can use Enlighten on Disks in the battalion, as its the same warscroll for us.

Thanks a lot. 

I guess I will check out the GW army builder website then. 

Got a new list I am considering:

Darkwalkers
Desolating Beastherd
Ghyran

Doombull,  Ghyrstrike

Bray Shaman,  Desolate Shard, Vicious Stranglethorns

Bray Shaman, Tendrils of Atrophy, General (Not sure about the trait)

20 Ungor Raiders
10 Ungors, swords

20 Gors, Shields
6 Bullgors, great axes

10 Bestigors

20 Bestigors

Be'lakor
Mindstealer Sphiranx

Balewind Vortex

3 drops which isn't too bad.  I know the herdstone is going to impact Be'lakor and the Sphiranx but I think they can do enough damage early on or I can shift them outside of the range of the herdstone as needed.  I think I have enough bodies and units to contest objectives and I am aiming to summon on way more ungor.  The gor with shields can be backfield objective holders against flanking armies or I can push them up a bit on one flank depending on the scenario.

Any thoughts or changes?  Not sure about the general trait for a shaman that is probably going to sit next to the herdstone.

Edited by Death1942