AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Couple of quick ones-

What is the value of 2 battalions given the relatively high cost of all of our battalion options?

Also, if we run a god specific battalion but stay in the BoC allegiance can we give our heroes god specific artefacts and or spells from the other books?

30 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Couple of quick ones-

What is the value of 2 battalions given the relatively high cost of all of our battalion options?

Also, if we run a god specific battalion but stay in the BoC allegiance can we give our heroes god specific artefacts and or spells from the other books?

If you stay in the BoC allegiance, you can't use the stuff from other books.

For me, the two battalions are worth the points investment. BoC are not melee survivable -- Gavespawn nets me Chaos Spawn; Nurgle battalion means when I do die, I'm exploding for MWs; Desolating Beastherd gives me to chance to ambush for greater damage. Maybe, if I get massacred, I'll drop the second battalion but I think it is worth trying.

• Thanks 1

Some other armies like Seraphon, Nighthaunt (or is it LoN?) both have incredible battalions that you always want to take 2 of. I don't see us wanting that. But i can see a few lists that would like it and would be fun to play with 2. Not really sure if it competitive, i honestly haven't tried.

On the Note of Seraphon, why aren't more people playing that battalion, its IMO the strongest battalion in game, and with their summoning, idk why more seraphon players are not winning. It must be do to lack or real rend maybe?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maddpainting said:

Is 1 more Relic + CP  worth the 150pts+ or is another unit or 2 more worth it for you? It really comes down to that.

If I switch my one artefact to Knowing Eye, that circumnavigates the CP issue. And Gavespawn + Nurgle means I want to maximize my explosions and Spawn generation and 150pts goes a long way there.

4 minutes ago, Maddpainting said:

Some other armies like Seraphon, Nighthaunt (or is it LoN?) both have incredible battalions that you always want to take 2 of. I don't see us wanting that. But i can see a few lists that would like it and would be fun to play with 2. Not really sure if it competitive, i honestly haven't tried.

On the Note of Seraphon, why aren't more people playing that battalion, its IMO the strongest battalion in game, and with their summoning, idk why more seraphon players are not winning. It must be do to lack or real rend maybe?

I am inclined to run 2 battalions if I run the Brass Despoilers in a Khorne army, with the Tyrants of Blood or Murderhost or Blood Hunt.  But probably not in a true BoC army.  I tried the Thunderscorn Herd with Despoilers, but just not enough bodies, and Thunderscorn are sorely underpowered for ancient dracothian traitors who summon lightning.  They were fast though!

As for the lizards, I have never won against them.  I managed to withstand and kill their pterodactyl deepstrike assault battalion thing with my Legion of Azgorh, but they were still able to hop all over and shoot me, and did anyone know that the bastiladons ignore rend and have a 3+ save?  I didn't know that before.  Dinosaurs are cool!  But so are anarchist man-bulls/bull-men?.

How about this?

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
1 x Tuskgor Chariots (60)
5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)
Cygor (140)
Ghorgon (160)
Pestilent Throng (200)
Doomblast Dirgehorn (50)
Ravening Direflock (30)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 141

Two drops --  does what I want it to.

Edited by Televiper11

12 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

Just to double check. You can activate the Gavespawn +1 attack multiple times in 1 turn targeting the same unit right?

so for example, ambush 10 Bestigors. Summon in Spawn, start with 2 command points and instantly use them when making the charge for 5 attacks per Bestigor?

Yes you can

11 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I am inclined to run 2 battalions if I run the Brass Despoilers in a Khorne army, with the Tyrants of Blood or Murderhost or Blood Hunt.  But probably not in a true BoC army.  I tried the Thunderscorn Herd with Despoilers, but just not enough bodies, and Thunderscorn are sorely underpowered for ancient dracothian traitors who summon lightning.  They were fast though!

As for the lizards, I have never won against them.  I managed to withstand and kill their pterodactyl deepstrike assault battalion thing with my Legion of Azgorh, but they were still able to hop all over and shoot me, and did anyone know that the bastiladons ignore rend and have a 3+ save?  I didn't know that before.  Dinosaurs are cool!  But so are anarchist man-bulls/bull-men?.

I honestly think Dragon Ogres are best as a 1 drop still with 1 Battalion and no Greatfray actually.

So.. the Battalion is 1 priest, + a unit of Ripperdactyls, and 2 Skins,t he Rippers DS's at 3" away! That means they are 100% guaranteed to charge you.  Its basically 1 Priest, 2x10,  1x9 Rippers x2, and then the Slaan for a 3 drop. Sometimes its less Rippers for a Engine of Gods

Edited by Maddpainting
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

How about this?

- Greatfray: Gavespawn
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Vicious Stranglethorns
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Viletide
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
30 x Ungor Raiders (240)
5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)
Cygor (140)
Ghorgon (160)
Pestilent Throng (200)
Doomblast Dirgehorn (50)
Ravening Direflock (30)
Wildfire Taurus (80)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 141

Two drops --  does what I want it to.

If it does what you want, then good. Tho IDK about the Horn, it has never been good for me.

I think for the most part, you don't really want/need 2 battalions with BOC.

The reasons for an additional battalion would be for an extra artifact, extra CP and lower drops.

Our battalions can contain most (if not all) of our army giving us low drop lists giving us a good chance of deciding first turn (something you should aim for with BOC).

You can only buy 1 additional CP now and with Gavespawn and Allherd Command Abilities being spammable CP this could be useful.

Additional Artifact is always more a personal choice but if you are looking for more CP then take the Aetherquartz Broach or The Knowing Eye (for Gavespawn and Allherd lists I recommend the Broach over the Eye because you can spam it, I personally got +4 attacks from a single CP)

Our battalions are not cheap so you have to consider if it is worth the cost of a couple of units. 

I just played in a tournament this past weekend with a 2 battalion Allherd list (wanted both CP artifacts) and it turned out okay (25th out 44).

So Multiple battalions are viable but you have to know what you want to do with them.

Hello all. The following is an attempt at utilizing the Beasts of Chaos' high Rend capacity. Strangely enough, this list doesn't use Warherd beyond a Doombull, but rather runs a trio of Dragon Ogor Shaggoth each backed by a unit of Dragon Ogors. The three Shaggoths each have an artefact that increases their Rend; when paired with their buffed Dragon Ogors, the units force a decision on opposing units as to which threat should be prioritized.

The Thunderscorn Stormherd battalion has the Dragon Ogor Shaggoth general with the Blade of the Desecrator, as well the three Dragon Ogor units. The Depraved Drove has the two Shaggoth with artefacts that give them a total of -3 Rend each; combined with that battalion's re-rolls to Hit against Heroes with artefacts, they are potent Hero killers.

I team each of the -3 Rend Shaggoths with a unit of six Dragon Ogors, leaving the general with the unit of three Dragon Ogors. The former take highly contested objectives, while the latter grind down smaller hordes. Careful placement keeps my Dragon Ogors re-rolling 1s due to their innate buff from being near Shaggoths. I use the Ungor Raiders and Centigors to screen as needed, while also taking backfield or far-off objectives. The Doombull serves as a rapid response unit, helping create threat on opposing flanks.

With three command points and a primordial call point on the first turn, after Hero phase sacrifices I have a fairly good chance of starting the game with six Primordial Call points. That amount can purchase me a unit of Bestigor first turn.

By the way, I considered swapping out the Allherd build, in favor of getting "Horn of the Tempest" and "Father of the Storm," to instead construct a Thunderscorn speed build. However, I'm curious how this high rend option plays out in the long-term. Here's hoping for success!

Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Dominator
- Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
- Artefact: Ancestral Azyrite Blade
- Lore of Dark Storms: Thunderwave
- Artefact: Rune Blade
Doombull (100)

Battleline
3 x Dragon Ogors (140)
- 3x Draconic War glaives
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)
- 6x Draconic War glaives
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)

Units
10 x Centigors (160)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)

Battalions
Thunderscorn Stormherd (190)
Depraved Drove (150)

Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

What do you think about this roster? Its 2 drop, with very fast and hard hitting mass of bestigors. Lots of spells and unbinds. I dont play BoC but theorycrafted this for my friend.

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Savage Dominion
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)

Units
3 x Tuskgor Chariots (180)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
3 x Chaos Spawn (150)

Battalions
Desolating Beastherd (150)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Wildfire Taurus (80)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 158

On 1/22/2020 at 5:13 PM, Fazhak said:

Hello all. The following is an attempt at utilizing the Beasts of Chaos' high Rend capacity. Strangely enough, this list doesn't use Warherd beyond a Doombull, but rather runs a trio of Dragon Ogor Shaggoth each backed by a unit of Dragon Ogors. The three Shaggoths each have an artefact that increases their Rend; when paired with their buffed Dragon Ogors, the units force a decision on opposing units as to which threat should be prioritized.

The Thunderscorn Stormherd battalion has the Dragon Ogor Shaggoth general with the Blade of the Desecrator, as well the three Dragon Ogor units. The Depraved Drove has the two Shaggoth with artefacts that give them a total of -3 Rend each; combined with that battalion's re-rolls to Hit against Heroes with artefacts, they are potent Hero killers.

I team each of the -3 Rend Shaggoths with a unit of six Dragon Ogors, leaving the general with the unit of three Dragon Ogors. The former take highly contested objectives, while the latter grind down smaller hordes. Careful placement keeps my Dragon Ogors re-rolling 1s due to their innate buff from being near Shaggoths. I use the Ungor Raiders and Centigors to screen as needed, while also taking backfield or far-off objectives. The Doombull serves as a rapid response unit, helping create threat on opposing flanks.

With three command points and a primordial call point on the first turn, after Hero phase sacrifices I have a fairly good chance of starting the game with six Primordial Call points. That amount can purchase me a unit of Bestigor first turn.

By the way, I considered swapping out the Allherd build, in favor of getting "Horn of the Tempest" and "Father of the Storm," to instead construct a Thunderscorn speed build. However, I'm curious how this high rend option plays out in the long-term. Here's hoping for success!

Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Dominator
- Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
- Artefact: Ancestral Azyrite Blade
- Lore of Dark Storms: Thunderwave
- Artefact: Rune Blade
Doombull (100)

Battleline
3 x Dragon Ogors (140)
- 3x Draconic War glaives
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)

Units
10 x Centigors (160)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)

Battalions
Thunderscorn Stormherd (190)
Depraved Drove (150)

Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

Why not Bullgors for straight -2 rend over dragon ogres?

8 hours ago, Nizrah said:
What do you think about this roster? Its 2 drop, with very fast and hard hitting mass of bestigors. Lots of spells and unbinds. I dont play BoC but theorycrafted this for my friend.
Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)

Units
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
3 x Chaos Spawn (150)

Battalions

Although I haven't played the BoC myself (yet, still building & painting) I can see two problems with the list.

1.) Afaik taking 30x Bestigors is rarely usefull  since they're on a 32mm base and chances are, you won't get every model to hit. So I'd recommend to use them in units of 10 to make them more flexible. I have the same issue with my main-army, the FEC. Taking horrors in bigger units seems tempting but works rarely.

2.) When using the Desolating Beastherd I'd think about adding more raiders, make it 30 instead of 2x10 or so for maximum damage. 

9 hours ago, Nizrah said:

Leaders
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Unravelling Aura
- Artefact: Mutating Gnarlblade
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Savage Dominion
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: The Knowing Eye
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy

Battleline
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)
30 x Bestigors (300)

Units
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
10 x Ungor Raiders (80)
3 x Chaos Spawn (150)

Battalions

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Wildfire Taurus (80)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 158

I like 30 bestigors for a few reasons. Mostly involving spells. They can tank wounds with mystic shield whereas the 10 can be limited quickly with shooting or spells. Also with grashraks +1 to hit against a unit, tendrils and wild rampage they are an absolute menace with 3 attacks each on the charge, 2+ to hit on units over 10 models, rerolling 1s against order, 3+ to wound rerolling failed and -2 rend, -3 with the herdstone. Add in gavespawns additional attacks CA and you've killed pretty much anything. I've not run more than 1 lump of 30 though. Also worth bearing in mind that fitting 30 x 32mm bases in a 6" band around the edge of the board and being 9" away from enemy isnt actually straightforward.

I also favour more screens as i dont want any of my good stuff being charged.

I struggle with savage dominion as a spell and prefer wild rampage or vicious stranglethorns.

Spawn are ****** but running in a unit may make them more useful. I'd be interested to know if others have done this.

Hope this helps.

Bit of a shame to see the highest placing of a Beasts of Chaos army at Cancon was 127.  I think there were only 3 armies total with lots of bullgors floating around, honestly watching some of the games the guys playing it were not the strongest of players but they had some beautiful armies floating about.  I hope beasts faired better at LVO and would love to see some top tier lists.

2 hours ago, Death1942 said:

Bit of a shame to see the highest placing of a Beasts of Chaos army at Cancon was 127.  I think there were only 3 armies total with lots of bullgors floating around, honestly watching some of the games the guys playing it were not the strongest of players but they had some beautiful armies floating about.  I hope beasts faired better at LVO and would love to see some top tier lists.

People that want to win don't want to play BoC, we are for sure able to go 4-1 IMO, but requires lists no one likes and if you wanted to go 4-1 or try to actually take 5-0, you just play something else.  You could also make it even easier and lose game one, now games 2-4 are much easier.

Having been to a couple GT's (for singles and doubles) and fighting the top players for the events twice now. It is possible.

This year for Adepticon tho i am playing CoS b.c i want to try and win instead of 3-2 average. But thats also b.c i don't want to let my team down for team, and my list is SO BIG, i don't have room for my BoC for singles (Its 18 120mm bases, plus 54 other models lol, takes up to much space).

Edited by Maddpainting
Spelling

5 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

People that want to win don't want to play BoC, we are for sure able to go 4-1 IMO, but requires lists no one likes and if you wanted to go 4-1 or try to actually take 5-0, you just play something else.  You could also make it even easier and lose game one, now games 2-4 are much easier.

Having been to a couple GT's (for singles and doubles) and fighting the top players for the events twice now. It is possible.

This year for Adepticon tho i am playing CoS b.c i want to try and win instead of 3-2 average. But thats also b.c i don't want to let my team down for team, and my list is SO BIG, i don't have room for my BoC for singles (Its 18 120mm bases, plus 54 other models lol, takes up to much space).

What does a 4-1 BoC list looks like in your opinion? Curious to see if you don’t mind me asking! 

Got a tournament coming up :)

58 minutes ago, Great Bray Tom said:

What does a 4-1 BoC list looks like in your opinion? Curious to see if you don’t mind me asking! 

Got a tournament coming up :)

No DO, no Bullgors, no tzaangors, no ghorgons/cygors either, just straight up Ungors/Bestigors/Raiders. EToD are not really that good to spam anymore with the points increase but a unit is never bad as they still are effective, 1 unit of 6 is fine tho or 2x3, or w/e you like, just not 12-15 of them.  A couple Shamans, then w/e other heroes you want out of Doombull/BL and maybe a Tzaangor Shaman to get spells off and support TEoD.

You win by board control and timing your damage to take objectives. You will take way more damage than your opponent, but the key is to only give up some Ungors or a Hero to their hit hard hitting units. My normal list now is 4 Heroes (DB, 2 Shamans, 1 T shaman), 5x10 Ungors, 1x40 Raiders, 6x10 Bestigors, Depraved Drove, +1 CP, Gavespawn, comes out to 1990pts. The Taurus is cool and all but its never worth it for me, one of my main opponents is a IDK player (playing the somewhat meta list, lots of Eels, King, Soulscryer, etc..) and even with Hide Tide i don't care, i just play around it.  I use the Raiders as a way to pull units from objectives, b.c if they don't it'll just eat their 5-7 wound characters, even SCE ones are no match for their shooting, the Ungors are for zoning out units and taking a charge, Bestigors do damage. At least i have enough damage to fight Seraphon and Ogres/BCR without trying, 60 Bestigors is a lot to kill, b.c even if 1 unit lives in Gavepsawn they can do 8 attacks each and help them if you get the re-roll wounds spell off on them or the opponent an additional -1 to their saves. Against OBR, just zone them out as they have 0 board control.

B.c i'm a 1 drop army it makes it easier too, if i go first vs DoT they wont be able to win, but if they go first i have to deploy perfectly to make sure they cant Flamer me to death or multi charge 20 horrors into to much stuff turn 1 or i'll be way behind on board real estate.

Honestly, the army that gives me the most trouble is Skaven, tho the person i play against is one of the best players i know. The only other army i am scared of is a good CoS player, they have so many tools if a CoS is playing a tool box army (Shadow warriors, a few mages with +1 to cast, a couple tank units in TE for movement and saves buffs, along with 1 or 2 flying hard hitting melee units, its a real are play b.c they can shoot and move just as fast with melee. They do what i do but better).

I like to note, i haven't play against the new Orruk book yet, so IDK how that game would go at all.

EIDT:   I want to note, it also comes HEAVILY down to objectives/Missions, IMO there are a couple missions we just can't win. Knife to the heart for me is a very bad mission, but others like ones that are 6" from board edges means we can ambush/summon onto. So it really comes down to the mission more so than who you fight. 

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Like 2

Weird I’ve been doing super well with bullgors lists. I guess mileage may vary.

The Moo Moo list II - Udder Revenge of the Moo

Greatfray darkwalkers (also works well with allherd)

Doombull (general) - has greatfray required relic 100

Gorshrak fellblade (with retinue) 140

Brayshaman (with relic that on 4+ gain a command point) 100

3 Bullgor’s with great axes 140

30 Bestigor’s 300

10 Gors with shields 70

2x Gorgon’s 320

Battalion: Brass Despoilers 190 (contains everything except two Bray Shaman’s - three drop)

Endless Spells:

Chronomantic Cogs 80

The Moo Moo list III - When Milk Gets Depraved

Greatfray darkwalkers

Doombull (general) - has ghyrstrike 100

Gorshrak fellblade (with retinue) 140

Brayshaman (with relic from darkwalkers) 100

6 Bullgor’s with great axes 280

6 Bullgor’s with great axes 280

30 Bestigor’s 300

10 Gors with shields 70

10 Gors with shields 70