AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 12/16/2019 at 3:00 PM, Sauriv said:

The rule state "for each mortal wound inflicted on that unit, ...." if you negate them the unit isn't hurt by them and therefore dont generate point.

Wounds inflicted isn't the same as suffers wounds 

Similar rulings can be find for Reikenor in Nighthaunt. 

So no, the hero needs to actually take the wounds to be able to generate points. 

Yup. This. Ya gotta make goat meat to get more goats.

Hello all. With the warherd discounts released recently, I updated my Thunderscorn Stormherd list. Two units of ten Bestigors replaced the Tuskgor Chariots. These two additions now provide me greater flexibility during deployment, as I can either ambush them (as I did the chariots) or deploy them as screening units.

I am admittedly considering dropping the Greatfray, in favor of no greatfray at all. Allherd is nice for this list due to its Bravery buff (with that buff, units can afford to lose a model and still pass battleshock). However, I wonder sometimes if simply having more command points isn't a better way to go, along with perhaps a healing artefact for even more healing options. 

I'm rather surprised by the usefulness of such changes. The army retains good durability, as it can hopefully reach objectives quicker than my opponent's forces can, and Dragon Ogors once in place have staying power.

What do you think?

Allegiance: Beasts of Chaos
- Greatfray: Allherd
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Dragon Ogor Shaggoth (180)
- General
- Trait: Dominator
- Artefact: Horn of the Tempest
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
- Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator
- Lore of Dark Storms: Thunderwave
- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm

Battleline
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)
- 6x Draconic War glaives
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)
3 x Dragon Ogors (140)
- 3x Draconic War glaives

Units
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Great Axes
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

Battalions
Thunderscorn Stormherd (190)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 149

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, Fazhak said:

Hello all. With the warherd discounts released recently, I updated my Thunderscorn Stormherd list. Two units of ten Bestigors replaced the Tuskgor Chariots. These two additions now provide me greater flexibility during deployment, as I can either ambush them (as I did the chariots) or deploy them as screening units.

I am admittedly considering dropping the Greatfray, in favor of no greatfray at all. Allherd is nice for this list due to its Bravery buff (with that buff, units can afford to lose a model and still pass battleshock). However, I wonder sometimes if simply having more command points isn't a better way to go, along with perhaps a healing artefact for even more healing options. 

I'm rather surprised by the usefulness of such changes. The army retains good durability, as it can hopefully reach objectives quicker than my opponent's forces can, and Dragon Ogors once in place have staying power.

What do you think?

- Greatfray: Allherd
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Dominator
- Artefact: Horn of the Tempest
- Lore of Dark Storms: Sundering Blades
- Artefact: Blade of the Desecrator
- Lore of Dark Storms: Thunderwave
- Lore of Dark Storms: Hailstorm

Battleline
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)
6 x Dragon Ogors (280)
3 x Dragon Ogors (140)
- 3x Draconic War glaives

Units
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Great Axes
10 x Bestigors (120)
10 x Bestigors (120)

Battalions
Thunderscorn Stormherd (190)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 149

A lot dipends on what is your take on this army. Are we talking about fluff/looks/competitive etc...

My personal feeling is that is a really cool army both in terms of looks and fluff.... Rulewise and on the competitive side, I think you will struggle a lot with the newer armies, even in a friendly matches, which might ruin your gaming experience.

Edited by tupavko
  • Like 1

Hi! A semicompetitive lista, fragile but hit very hard!!

Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Lore of the Twisted Wilds: Tendrils of Atrophy
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Indomitable Beast
- Artefact: Volcanic Axe
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
40 x Ungor Raiders (320)
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened (100)
5 x Centigors (80)
Ghorgon (160)
Ravening Direflock (30)

Total: 1490 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 156

Please C&C!

THX

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 9:28 PM, peasant said:

Hi! A semicompetitive lista, fragile but hit very hard!!

Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Beastlord (90)
- General
- Trait: Indomitable Beast
- Artefact: Volcanic Axe
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Gors (70)
- Gor-Blades & Beastshields
40 x Ungor Raiders (320)
5 x Centigors (80)
Ghorgon (160)
Ravening Direflock (30)

Total: 1490 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 156

Please C&C!

THX

When getting it to 2.000 points maybe use the Nurgle battalion? With all the minimum size units you can easily splash mortal wounds around.

Hey guys, quick question!

when going to a 2.000 point singles tournament. What do you bring in addition to your armylist for summoning?

My “summoning list” consists of:

10 Ungors

10 Bestigors

1 Chimera

2 Chaos Spawn (I play Gavespawn mostly)

5 Centigors

and I want to add 3 Enlightened on Disc when I get more.

i was wondering what you guys bring? I hate having to bring like 3.000 points to a 2.000 points tournament haha.

Hey guys some questions 

Are the Tzaangor Skyfires worth taking? 

Normally I play with Bestigors combined with Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc.

Also what would you say to my list? 

Nothing too competitive as it is supposed to be a fun campaign

Normally I bring sth like this

Beastlord 

Great Bray-shaman

10x Bestigors

10x Bestigors

10x Bestigors

1x Chaos, Chaos Spawn

3x Tzaangor Enlightened on Discs of Tzeentch

10x Ungor Raiders

Just to get exactly 1000 Points. also running Gravespawn 

For summoning I normally take some Ungors, Chaos Spwan, Bestigors and Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc 

12 minutes ago, Moleculeaxium said:

Hey guys some questions 

Are the Tzaangor Skyfires worth taking? 

Normally I play with Bestigors combined with Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc.

Also what would you say to my list? 

Nothing too competitive as it is supposed to be a fun campaign

Normally I bring sth like this

Beastlord 

Great Bray-shaman

10x Bestigors

10x Bestigors

10x Bestigors

1x Chaos, Chaos Spawn

10x Ungor Raiders

Just to get exactly 1000 Points. also running Gravespawn 

For summoning I normally take some Ungors, Chaos Spwan, Bestigors and Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc 

Very strong list! However personally I would the Raiders and 1 unit of Bestigors for 40 Ungors or Gors sp you have a big blob of something to stall/grab an objective while the Bestigors and Enlightened have mobility. The only problem then is; what do you use for sacrificing. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 3:11 PM, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Do Untamed Beasts allies add much to the army? I know BoC get pre-game movement from Ungor Raiders already, but I still want to try and get them to work if only for fun.

I've actually included the Untamed Beast and a Darkoath hero or two entirely for fluff reasons.

You see, my Beasts army is actually the various livestock found around Chaos Acres. The Darkoath family (mommy and daddy Darkoath, brothers Billy, Timmy, and Otto, little sister Susie, and their dog Oreo) raise herds of gors, ungors, razorgors, and raptoryxs for the farmer's markets of CHAOS!!!💀💀💀

They've even started a Gor rental service. Let's say the land you've conquered for Khorne has pesky weeds, shrubs, aelves, free people, whatever. They'll rent you a brayherd to come out and g-'raze' (😉) that all right into the ground for ya!

😀

😀

I'll go now.

😁

• Haha 2

Anyone have positive experiences using cockatrice as chaff/blockers?

I'm wondering how a flyer with 12" movement, and with a ranged attack that works 50% of the time, might perform in such a role.

In a Hungering Warherd or Thunderscorn Stormherd list, battleline requirements are already addressed by the battalion itself, opening up alternative, unconventional chaff/blocker options.

Any thoughts?

47 minutes ago, Dracan said:

With the imminent release of DoT do you guys think the 5 tzaangors varieties in the Beast of chaos book will be updated and thus superceded or work on a separate warscroll and point system?

Tzaangors were updated for DoT back when the BoC book dropped. Think its very likely it will affect BoC.

So with the new points changes I now have 100 extra points for my list. This has left me with a few thoughts. The first is to get a cockatrice, for 100 points they look really cool. However the problem with that is it makes me a three drop rather then two drop list. The second option is just buy a command point and leave 50 points for a triumph. The third option is to try put some endless spells in there as my list has two shamans to cast with.

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, Chaos Shepard said:

With the drop of Disciples of Tzeentch, the one thing I can see them doing is maybe simplifying the base Tzaangor warscroll, similar to the way they changed Plague Monks recently. I don't think we will see any significant changes in any of the other Tzaangor units.

Yeah, Ardboyz and Plague Monks both  had similarly complex units that had their warscrolls replaced with  simplified warscrolls. Tzaangors are an issue in that they have too many different dice pools and slow down the game (champion, AWH (including mutants),  shields, great weapons), which just slows down the game (both in rolling and in maneuvering the unit). I'm hoping that the warscroll is simplified, and the unit can be taken in increments of 5 like ardboyz (15 seems to be a nice balance between a survivable unit, not too expensive, and easy to keep in auras). 

Regarding the cockatrice, I would normally agree with the notion that cheaper single-unit chaff are better. However, the single cockatrice creates some threat, as opposed to the single chariot or razorgor. The ranged attack is a 50% reliable mortal wound generator against heroes and other "hard" targets, while the cockatrice's bonus attacks on the charge are not insignificant.

I'm trying to push beyond the obvious builds for our faction, which seem to rely on the Desolating Beastherd (or perhaps the Khorne or Slaanesh battalions), at least one big block of bestigor, a big block of Ungor Raiders, and three to four chaff units of Gors or Ungors. I understand why those are successful and why others might be more challenging.

Yet, I'm unconvinced that all alternatives to this conventional wisdom are thoroughly noncompetitive. For example, my experiences with Stormherd lists are positive, especially if built around multiple Dragon Ogor Shaggoths shepherding different units of Dragon Ogors. I find such to simply seem to need refining in either their chaff/blocking capacity, or abandoning that for additional hammers.

This is why I'm trying to see if the cockatrice or other monsters might be useful. These lists already meet battleline requirements and therefore do not gain any extra benefit from using Gors or Ungors, opening up opportunities to use different options.

Has anyone had success using monsters or our Battletome's other "deep tracks," whether as chaff or in other capacities?

The cockatrice is not a bad unit, I just don't see it being a good blocker.  Its foot print is too small, most units can go around it and its to fragile to hold up anything for a significant amount of time. For almost half the price you can take a chariot which has a better save and larger foot print. The cockatrice makes for a better backfield assassin taking out enemy support heros. I think it can also be a good distraction unit, no one likes the unit that can dish out D6 mortal wounds at a distance, you just have to place it so your opponent has to walk away from the objective to kill it.

• Like 1