AoS 2 - Beasts of Chaos Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, decker_cky said:

Unless you play in a meta where 2+ and 3+ saves are everywhere, bullgors will always be outshined by bestigors and enlightened. I haven't done the numbers in a while, but I seem to remember that 10 bestigors vs 3 bullgors are very comparable in terms of offensive potential. 

But if you are going to play them, that is the viable way to do so, he was asking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

May I ask what these drops I keep hearing about are? I know nothing about playing other than the rules.

Its refering to deployment. Whoever finishes deploying first goes first, so people use battalions as a way to reduce the amount of things to deploy. A battalion "drops" all at once, so if you have your entire army inside of 2 battalions, you have a "2 drop army", and have a far better chance of going first.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kazimer said:

Its refering to deployment. Whoever finishes deploying first goes first, so people use battalions as a way to reduce the amount of things to deploy. A battalion "drops" all at once, so if you have your entire army inside of 2 battalions, you have a "2 drop army", and have a far better chance of going first.

Its up to the player if he/she wants to drop the whole battalion at once or not. So if you know that you're going to "lose" priority than you can deploy all units individually instead to preventing your opponent from gaining more information. 

3 hours ago, Kazimer said:

To clarify, whoever finishes deploying first chooses whether they want to go first. It is often advantageous to go second because it sets you up for a potential double turn (and means you are not worried about double turns until you have benefited from one). 

With beasts, you can create real issues since you can make 1-3 drop armies that threaten first turn charges deep into enemy territory (with a shaman and a CP on the run, centigors can charge 24+2d6", averaging 31"), meaning your opponent  needs to deploy as if you are going first and likely to charge, even if you do not intend to do so (its an option you should consider though, since many armies rely on command abilities to provide defensive tech). 

• Like 1

if I wanted to build a beast of chaos army that was very diverse in the amount of units I take what are some things worth taking but in smaller amounts. a lot of lists I see have upwards of 60 ungors and 40 bestigors and little to anything else. does any body run a mix of dragon ogres, bullgors, or regular gors mixed in with their masses of ungors and bestigors? I wanna expand on my collection but idk how many goats I can paint. 

Well, just play what you want man. If you are playing local games who cares about top units.

I play different lists every week (I am very lucky tho, i play at a store that is 24/7 and you can get games all the time, if you cant, we have a discord to schedule games), with over 7k points now, i try to play something different every game. I'll play things like

Bullgor 3x3 Ambushing Darkwalkers, Cogs, Doom, 1x4 chariots, lots of Centigors/Wounds, and 2 Cygors
or
4x3 Dragon Ogres whit 2 Shaggoths, no Greatfray, Re-roll D6 movement, Run and charge aura, lots of centigors (working on getting 18 Dragon ogres)
or
Just last week i play a 30 block of Tzaangors 3x3 Enlighten on Disks, 3 Shamans on Disks, 2 Ungors and the Taurus spell
or
One of the more fun one, Shamans x2, 1 Disk Shaman, 3 Chimeras, Jabber, ungors 3x10, Raiders 1x40

But i like to play Hordes with 1 Behemoth if i can, something with these like 50 bestigors, 70 ungors, 40 raiders, then 1 of either Chimera/Ghorgon/Cygor. I have 10 Behemoths so i try to use them w/e i can.

Quick question - i'm running the pestilent throng battalion but i'm unsure where to measure from at the point where the unit blows up in a shower of pus and guts if its an infantry unit that loses for example 5 guys in one go - all 5 dudes or the last man standing?

Pg 2, https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/age_of_sigmar_core_rules_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf

Q: Some abilities refer to units that have been ‘destroyed’. What does this mean exactly? A: A unit is considered to be destroyed when the last model from the unit is slain or flees. When measuring the range to a destroyed unit, measure to the position occupied by the last model in the unit to be slain or flee.

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Like 1

Hi everyone. 

I'm brand new to BoC and don't have the tome yet. I have I've just spent a while building and painting a Tzeentch army with lots of Tzaangors, Skyfires, Tzaangor Shaman and an allied Beastman Shaman and a Wildfire Taurus. 

It occurs to me that I already have over 1k for a BoC army, so I thought I'd pop my head in over here and ask the following:

What does BoC allegiance offer me as an alternative to destiny dice and the Tzeentch lore? Not sure that the Brayherd ability to come in off board edges is all that strong if I can destiny dice a first turn charge with Tzaangor and / the discs move so fast anyway. 

I hear BoC summoning is strong but having perused the 1d4 chan tactica, I'm not sure how I generate more than one plus D3 points each turn? 

Are the Ghorgon and Cygor models any good in game and can they combo with Brayherd abilities? The models are beautiful but the Cygor looks a bit pants with one attack hitting on 4s. Is there a way to buff it or get multiple attacks? 

What nasty tournament tricks does the army currently have? I don't see it doing well at big tournaments but that might just be cos it's not being played. 

Ghorgons and Cygors are to costly as of right now, you can get them to work vs some match ups kinda well, but against the top 5 armies they dont do anything well.

BoC is a fast moving, area denial, pick when and what fight you want type of army. We are fast, everything can move 15-20" and still either charge or shoot. We have lots of cheap "ish" bodies that still hit hard "enough". We out move/objective our opponents, we have a few strong melee units that will try to kill enough of the board and we move fast enough to out play, but that means mistakes hurt us badly. If you miss play a unit you'll lose that unit.

I'm one of the few in here i feel (might be others, seems many dont agree with me) that our Summoning isnt all that good, it is still useful! Not saying it isnt, but dont relay on it, treat it as another 1 or 2 units just Ambushing later and you get to pick what you want. (NOTE: PC = Primordial Call, thats our summoning points, so PC for short) 
Its not like actual summoning armies where you can summon in 500-800pts easily. We get an average of 240pts a game, unless you are allherd (they can spend CP to gain more points). You get 1 per turn, then 1D3 if you sacrifice D3 wounds next to the Herd stone, b.c it is a random 1D3, an average of 4 turns is 8, 4 turns of 1PC makes you get an average of 12, turn 5 normally wont matter, but there might be some situations where it could, if it does, then those limited missions you can get 15PC pts (that is an average of 300 summoning pc points).

With all that said, BoC just plays different than DoT, if you want a more melee focus Tzeentch army then BoC will most likely fit you better and play better. if you want lots of casting and summoning support with just a splash of melee then DoT will be better for you.

Note: I have play fulled Tzeentch style BoC armies before, i took 2 Shamans on Disks, 2 Great brey shamsn for +3" movement, a 30 blcok of Tzaangors, 3x3 Tzaangors on Disks, and a bunch of ungors for chaff with a couple endless spells in the battalion. It worked great, just dont fight HoS and it works great. I beaten LoN, LoG, NH, Ogres, BCR, Goblins, SCE with them. Tho i dont personally like that play style as it to much in to few units, it is still viable outside of HoS.

Something else to think about are the heroes, in BoC we dont really have that many cool heroes, they all are useful, but nothing like Lord of change and Kairos.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

Snip 

Thanks. Didn't expect such a quick reply! 

I'm guessing by the sound of it that I need to have loads of big units of ungor/bestigors etc to take advantage of their board control. 

That sounds like a lot of hobby work! 😅 Might just throw some of the cool models into my collection and it not focus on tournament lists 

Just thought I share this with my fellow Beastmen :)

Warcry latest faction > Spire Tyrants, has a Bestigor!  At the very least he seems to be an elite unit, but looking at all of them my guess is he is the Leader !

I hope we can get more love as time goes on. But the sheer fact that there was Beastgrave BoC warband and now these guys have a Bestigor (Leader) included, seems like BoC has not been completely forgotten yet. Lets hope for more good news in the future (new centigors miniatures with at least 2 weapon options and updated warscroll. New model for Beastlord would be nice. Return of Chariot heroes or something, etc)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/24/the-scoop-from-spielGw-homepage-post-2/?fbclid=IwAR26xjQZEhG0f2FIQ0RSJixAh94HmfUekTYuegV1VqeoaZlMmcsP1Q4Ndls

• Like 1

Battalion question - I've searched across the forum and I can't find an answer. When running the desolating beastherd with ungor raiders, do they need to be in the enemy territory to get the 6 to hit = 2 hits or is it just the target that needs to be in enemy territory?