AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

8 hours ago, embuste7 said:

looks like 48x48

So you spotted my deception ?

yep, 48x48...still not really nice to bring 2 pieces of Artilleriy

and always whip that ogor, he wears dark shard armor, feels almost nothing ??

• Like 1

Hey everyone, been reading through as I just decided I wanted to give Azgorh a shot and came up with this list. I definitely wanted a centaur type army with some shooting but didn't want to go with Warherd so here we are:

Shar'tor - General

Taur'ruk

Infernal Standard Bearer

2x Daemonsmiths

3x3 Bull Centaur Renders

2x10 Fireglaives

2x3 K'Daai

Magma Cannon

Execution Herd

Also considered dropping the K'Daai for another cannon+rocket launcher but being so unfamiliar with the army I am unsure of what works and what doesn't. The idea behind the K'Daai was to run up quickly and charge to harass shooting/backline. Or I could just as easily shoot them to death with more artillery which would also be good to snipe heroes with since the cannon is basically just a Warp Lightning Cannon and rockets seem good for hordes. Unsure on the Fireglaives, but I feel they could be useful for objective holding or screening the artillery+daemonsmith babysitter. 

Thoughts before I go spending my life savings? 

Edited by Gwendar

47 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Hey everyone, been reading through as I just decided I wanted to give Azgorh a shot and came up with this list. I definitely wanted a centaur type army with some shooting but didn't want to go with Warherd so here we are:

Shar'tor - General

Taur'ruk

Infernal Standard Bearer

2x Daemonsmiths

3x3 Bull Centaur Renders

2x10 Fireglaives

2x3 K'Daai

Magma Cannon

Execution Herd

Also considered dropping the K'Daai for another cannon+rocket launcher but being so unfamiliar with the army I am unsure of what works and what doesn't. The idea behind the K'Daai was to run up quickly and charge to harass shooting/backline. Or I could just as easily shoot them to death with more artillery which would also be good to snipe heroes with since the cannon is basically just a Warp Lightning Cannon and rockets seem good for hordes. Unsure on the Fireglaives, but I feel they could be useful for objective holding or screening the artillery+daemonsmith babysitter. 

Thoughts before I go spending my life savings? 

The fireborn seem redundant with all the bull centaurs but I like fireborn  and they would probably work well. 

Some alternatives for the fireborn could be:

-Iron daemon to give more mobility to your magma cannon and short ranged firepower.

- More fireglaives or maybe some ironsworn gor more objective holding ability.

Fireglaives are great. They can do a surprising amount of damage, are durable, and pretty decent in combat.

57 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

The fireborn seem redundant with all the bull centaurs but I like fireborn  and they would probably work well. 

Some alternatives for the fireborn could be:

-Iron daemon to give more mobility to your magma cannon and short ranged firepower.

- More fireglaives or maybe some ironsworn gor more objective holding ability.

Fireglaives are great. They can do a surprising amount of damage, are durable, and pretty decent in combat.

I thought the same thing, but I do enjoy the models.. However competitively, I imagine another cannon would be better. Hadn't put much thought into the iron daemon as I didn't see my artillery moving around too much anyway. Would it not be better to just have another cannon and add in a rocket launcher as well or am I overvaluing the artillery pieces?

Are ironsworn really better than Fireglaives for holding? Outside of the rend on their hand weapons and a mortal wound to the enemy on a save, it seems like Fireglaives are just as good but with a decent shooting attack. Of course I'm probably missing something or undervaluing the MW shields.

Edited by Gwendar

39 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I thought the same thing, but I do enjoy the models.. However competitively, I imagine another cannon would be better. Hadn't put much thought into the iron daemon as I didn't see my artillery moving around too much anyway. Would it not be better to just have another cannon and add in a rocket launcher as well or am I overvaluing the artillery pieces?

Are ironsworn really better than Fireglaives for holding? Outside of the rend on their hand weapons and a mortal wound to the enemy on a save, it seems like Fireglaives are just as good but with a decent shooting attack. Of course I'm probably missing something or undervaluing the MW shields.

Deathshreikers are good but can be inconsistent. Going with only magma cannons is probably the most ideal although deathshreikers have longer range and ignore line of sight which is nice. Venomous Wargaming on YouTube has a battlereport of 2nd edition chaos dwarfs that might give you an idea on how the artillery performs. 

Ironsworn are not more survivable than fireglaives. I ment that either would add to your model count and allow you to spread out a bit more. As much as I like ironsworn, it's probably better to use fireglaives instead because they are more versatile.

Fireglaives are no doubt, great. 
But to hold objectives AND fill out the battleline, Ironsworn are great. They hit more reliably, and if coupled with the Castellan,  hit/wound 3/3 and rend one. That's phenomenal. They're one of the cheaper battle lines, most durable of the cheap battle lines, and have a phenomenal cost for 30 man units (240!)

There's finite turns in the game. You keep a wall of ironsworn in the way, and you can ensure that your FG's can move and shoot freely. More importantly, they can shoot what they want, not just what is within 3" of them. 

They'll grind better on the opponents turn, ensuring that you can win or cost them dearly in the 'battle of attrition'. 

Good thing we have tons of shooting to back them up.

• Like 1

I really liked the ironsworn unit, their spite shields are really not nice at all. For shooting I‘d rather field another big gun.

as to the K‘Daii discussion, when they hit, they really dish out the pain... I definitely like their glass cannon style.

Sadly never played the stampede, so can’t say anything about them. Kinda sad we don’t have the dragon-ogres anymore, but the executioner looks like serious business 

A very oppressive list.  4 drops.  Make sure to keep an extra Command Point to ensure that you can negate battleshock AoE from Drazhoath as well as triggering the Taur'ruk boost to +1 hit AoE.  Long/large based units allow ease of staying in range of the Lens.

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
- General
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction 
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
- Scalding Hand Weapon & Spiteshield
12 x K'Daai Fireborn (480)
Execution Herd (160)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 114

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal

So I don't get to play as much as I'd like to do to my location, work and family commitments. I've noticed that when do get to play I often forget a unit has an ability until late in the game and have told myself that I needed to put together a step by step order of battle for the LoA. I just put together a rough draft today but figure it might be of some use to people picking up the army, getting back into the game or really anyone who loves playing the legion. Its still a rough draft so any tips and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

~Lobeau

LoA Order.pdf

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

Deathshreikers are good but can be inconsistent. Going with only magma cannons is probably the most ideal although deathshreikers have longer range and ignore line of sight which is nice. Venomous Wargaming on YouTube has a battlereport of 2nd edition chaos dwarfs that might give you an idea on how the artillery performs. 

Ironsworn are not more survivable than fireglaives. I ment that either would add to your model count and allow you to spread out a bit more. As much as I like ironsworn, it's probably better to use fireglaives instead because they are more versatile.

Awesome, I will definitely give that a watch to get a better impression. Coming from Skaven (Skryre/Eshin mostly) I like the magma cannon as it's identical to the WLC and with a smith, has the same range, and not being affected by Look out, sir is nice. At first glance I just like the Deathshreiker as an answer to horde units such as the DoK/Death players in my area.

7 hours ago, Blackspine said:

Fireglaives are no doubt, great. 
But to hold objectives AND fill out the battleline, Ironsworn are great. They hit more reliably, and if coupled with the Castellan,  hit/wound 3/3 and rend one. That's phenomenal. They're one of the cheaper battle lines, most durable of the cheap battle lines, and have a phenomenal cost for 30 man units (240!)

There's finite turns in the game. You keep a wall of ironsworn in the way, and you can ensure that your FG's can move and shoot freely. More importantly, they can shoot what they want, not just what is within 3" of them. 

They'll grind better on the opponents turn, ensuring that you can win or cost them dearly in the 'battle of attrition'. 

Good thing we have tons of shooting to back them up.

I see what  you mean, and that would probably be best if I ran more of them, but I am primarily going for a list involving fast/hard hitting/elite units with some artillery/smaller shooting units so I figured the fireglaives would serve that purpose well enough and didn't plan to go full horde mode with multiple units of infernal guard. If I end up dumping K'daai, I may bring a unit to screen the extra artillery I would bring as well.

The idea of this army is really one of my favorites so far...pretty excited to get it started eventually, although the price tag is...yeah. I appreciate all the help!

10 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I agree.  Deathshriekers used to be good for wizard/priest sniping, and are now basically useless for that role.  Mortars cost too much and it's too difficult to get rerolls, and their output is not as good.  Magmas are the only way to go, imo.

Ironsworn you don't take for being more survivable, you take them because they're much cheaper than Fireglaives, and they have a chance at doing mortal wounds just from being hit in combat.  Fireglaives no longer have a naptha bomb, are able to be tied up in melee, and can only reliably dish out damage in the shooting phase.  I'd rather lose 90pts of Ironsworn on a charge that can do damage back from being hit, rather than 100pts of Fireglaives that would do no damage back from being hit.

8 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I agree.  Deathshriekers used to be good for wizard/priest sniping, and are now basically useless for that role.  Mortars cost too much and it's too difficult to get rerolls, and their output is not as good.  Magmas are the only way to go, imo.

Ironsworn you don't take for being more survivable, you take them because they're much cheaper than Fireglaives, and they have a chance at doing mortal wounds just from being hit in combat.  Fireglaives no longer have a naptha bomb, are able to be tied up in melee, and can only reliably dish out damage in the shooting phase.  I'd rather lose 90pts of Ironsworn on a charge that can do damage back from being hit, rather than 100pts of Fireglaives that would do no damage back from being hit.

I've been taking 40 of both ironsworn and fireglaives and the ironsworn usually all die but by the time the enemy has gotten past them they have been shot to bits and dont threaten my fireglaives much.

I've had success with deathshreikers sniping heros and support units, though I usually target heros that are monsters or are isolated first.

• Like 1

I haven't played a game yet with the Death Shriekers, but feel that they work at whittling away units, and combined with a good unit of fireglaives, can do nasty things in attrition to units, and force them to take battleshock early on.

Ideally, soften up things that would bog down our elite Taruks/ Sharter. 

1 hour ago, Blackspine said:

I haven't played a game yet with the Death Shriekers, but feel that they work at whittling away units, and combined with a good unit of fireglaives, can do nasty things in attrition to units, and force them to take battleshock early on.

Ideally, soften up things that would bog down our elite Taruks/ Sharter. 

That's what I usually do. Although my latest games have been against death armies where you pretty much have to focus on heros. My first game in 2nd edition I shot weakened a terrorgeist and killed a corpse cart and Arkhan. My opponent conceded turn 3. 

I also had a game where my artillery couldn't hit anything and I got crushed.

1 hour ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

That's what I usually do. Although my latest games have been against death armies where you pretty much have to focus on heros. My first game in 2nd edition I shot weakened a terrorgeist and killed a corpse cart and Arkhan. My opponent conceded turn 3. 

Hehe. Its bound to happen.

I love having a balanced army, and after running Nurgle/Chaos for two years, this is making me excited. (not in that way. get your head out of gutter...) Having access to some truly amazing elite killers, cheap yet effective infantry, medium & long range shooting makes me think this is a great balanced list. There's no true "killer/ OP" unit (not in my mind) but combined, they all wear away and soften for the hammer blow.

As a nurgle player, it's very hard to get past those walls to characters, especially in any reasonable amount of time for a GT. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

You just need to focus on getting Drazhoath, use Magma Cannons only, get a Taur'ruk, and load up on Centaurs and/or K'daai units for mobility.  Skullcracker is amazing if you can get your hands on one.

Nuke the Death heroes, and weather the storm of what's hitting you.  A skullcracker or 6 K'daai into an undead horde without deathless save or ossific diadem is going to make them cry.

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal

19 hours ago, Blackspine said:

I love having a balanced army, and after running Nurgle/Chaos for two years, this is making me excited. (not in that way. get your head out of gutter...) Having access to some truly amazing elite killers, cheap yet effective infantry, medium & long range shooting makes me think this is a great balanced list. There's no true "killer/ OP" unit (not in my mind) but combined, they all wear away and soften for the hammer blow. 

I've kind of been thinking the same way so I changed the list a little differently. Artillery won't have any screening support, but the idea is to hit hard and fast enough to not have to worry about it. Of course deepstriking units will be the biggest threat, so I could drop the K'daai for 1x20 and 1x10 or some other variation of ironsworn instead but.. I'm not sure. 

Shar'tor

Taur'ruk

2x Daemonsmiths 

3x3 Bull Centaur Renders

2x3 K'Daai

2 Magma Cannons

1 Deathshrieker

Execution Herd

Balewind

17 minutes ago, Blackspine said:

Why the two demonsmiths?

Magic is heavy this edition, I figured one to babysit the artillery on a balewind and another as just a generic wizard wherever its needed, unless those 100 points could be better spent elsewhere. So far I've found that I really need the unbind rolls.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Magic is heavy this edition, I figured one to babysit the artillery on a balewind and another as just a generic wizard wherever its needed, unless those 100 points could be better spent elsewhere. So far I've found that I really need the unbind rolls.

It's nice that we get ash storm and fireball so both will be useful even if there are no endless spells or realm spells.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

It's nice that we get ash storm and fireball so both will be useful even if there are no endless spells or realm spells.

True. I had considered cogs but I would have to drop something (another Daemonsmith?) to fit it in properly but only being able to cast one endless spell per turn would be troublesome to only having 1 wizard.