AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Had an interesting match today while testing a list for a local tournament; a 12 strong K'daai unit took out an abhorrent archregent, a vargulf courtier, 2 crypt haunter courtiers, 9 crypt horrors and 10 crypt ghouls. Really lucky they did too, as he rolled hot on his heaving masses rolls and kept bringing back swarm after swarm of large crypt ghoul squads and my infantry really struggled to hold back the tide and keep my objectives safe. Didn't help that I never rolled higher than a 2 on my magma cannons though, getting rid of the crypt ghast courtiers much earlier would have helped a lot.

Anyone else had interesting matches lately?

After having a discussion at my local gaming store, we approached the idea of LoA balance from a different perspective. Instead of point drops that would require the purchasing of new models and more models on the table, what do you think would need to change on some units for you to use them at their current point cost?

Our main discussion was on Drazhoath, which we thought:

Remove the +1 for casting in aqshy; it is too situational and does probably add to his unit cost sadly.

Double the brazier and horns attacks; 2 brazier and 4 horns and teeth.

Hellshard should 5+ reflect both ranged and melee damage, just not mortal wounds

Drop spell cast by 1, to 7+; D6 mortals is not as rare as it used to be

Lord of the black fortress wholly within 18", not 24"; he is mobile enough that proper placement can minimise this nerf, and the other buffs balance him out.

Castellan: just make his command ability happen at the start of the combat phase, not hero phase.

Dreadquake: wound on 2+, if unit suffers wounds it halves movement/run in its next movement phase.

Didn't discuss others as they weren't played in any matches today

21 hours ago, Qrow said:

After having a discussion at my local gaming store, we approached the idea of LoA balance from a different perspective. Instead of point drops that would require the purchasing of new models and more models on the table, what do you think would need to change on some units for you to use them at their current point cost?

Our main discussion was on Drazhoath, which we thought:

Remove the +1 for casting in aqshy; it is too situational and does probably add to his unit cost sadly.

Double the brazier and horns attacks; 2 brazier and 4 horns and teeth.

Hellshard should 5+ reflect both ranged and melee damage, just not mortal wounds

Drop spell cast by 1, to 7+; D6 mortals is not as rare as it used to be

Lord of the black fortress wholly within 18", not 24"; he is mobile enough that proper placement can minimise this nerf, and the other buffs balance him out.

Castellan: just make his command ability happen at the start of the combat phase, not hero phase.

Dreadquake: wound on 2+, if unit suffers wounds it halves movement/run in its next movement phase.

Didn't discuss others as they weren't played in any matches today

If these changes went through I would buy Draz today! Love the model and the character, however his points cost is archeic. Give him the same armour buff as the Daemonsmith, so if he suffers wounds he gets + to casts... You could even make that like a reverse of Nagash and make it so everytime he's bracketed he can cast 1 more spell and get +1 cast each time. 

Edited by Poppityping

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Death1942 said:

I honestly think you could give almost everything in the army at least +1 to hit and it would still be fairly balanced.  Treat them as an elite dwarf army where the trade off is slow movement and average bravery. 

After playing in a tournament recently I've come to my own conclusions about what I think the army needs. Granted it was only 1k, but I still think it's a fair assessment as our weaknesses are exacerbated at 2k games. I played against Tzeentch, Bonereapers, Fyreslayers, and Slaanesh, several top dogs in the meta.

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

LEADERS Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)

- General

- Command Trait : Grotesque

- Artefact : Armour of Bazherak the Cruel

Daemonsmith (100)

- Darkforged Weapon

UNITS

10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

1 x Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)

1 x Iron Daemon War Engine (180)

1 x Magma Cannon (140)

TOTAL: 1000/1000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 65

On retrospect I would've dropped a unit of Fireglaives and the Rocket Launcher in favor of a second Magma Cannon and an endless spell, maybe Cogs or the Soulscream Bridge. The rocket launcher's output is so unreliable, it's crazy how much it's outclassed by the Magma Cannon.

As for the rest of what I took...

Taur'ruk: He's great as is, and perfectly costed as well. No changes needed here.

Daemonsmith: Also pretty good, could do with a range increase on Blood of Hashut.

Fireglaives: Hitting on 3+ would go a long way on these guys, and of course it goes without saying that the Deathmask blows and should be reworked. Let's compare with Mortek Guard, possibly one of the game's best infantry choices. At 130 points for 10 models, they get 2 3+/4+ attacks at -1 rend, with an extra attack on 6's to hit. It's certainly not farfetched to give Fireglaives a 3+ to hit when they're costed at 100 points.

Deathshrieker: Bad. Needs at least one of the following to make it a competitive choice: 3+ to hit, additional Rend,  or flat 3 damage. 

Magma Cannon: We all know this thing is amazing, if anything it's the only thing in our army that could be acceptably nerfed, I think. I don't think it needs to be; as much as your opponent might complain about how you can just drop 6 (7) mortals on him with no way to prevent it, it's still a 140 point unit that can't do much else. I think if they changed anything about this they would make it savable wounds instead of mortals.

Iron Daemon: Pretty solid all around. I think More Power should be slightly changed to 1 wound if the result is between 12 and 18, and d3 if the roll is 19+. 

I think the biggest thing we need is less so our damage output and more so durability; We've got an allegiance ability that lets us negate wounds in each phase, so our biggest strength should be being hard to kill. We lack anything that gives us a bonus to save. It would be broken to give everything in our army a 3+ save, but what about the Standard Bearer? It would not be unreasonable I think to change its aura to give everything in range a +1 to save. 

Edited by Latty
  • Like 3

On 1/22/2020 at 2:23 PM, Televiper11 said:

I tabled Khorne twice. Love the Execution Herd. Properly buffed, it hits like a runaway freight train.

Wow, that sounds like a great bloody battle; Khorne approves!  What was your Execution Herd army list?  I have run 3x3 Renders, but wondering if that's enough. My friend said I should be running Chronomantic Cogs with them, and I have to agree.

50 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

Sorry to derail the thread but I have a problem I hope you all could help with: what models should I use to convert kharadron overlords into chaos dwarves without going for Forgeworld prices? 

I would look more towards whatever they call dwarves these days.  Firedrakes could be Fireglaives and Ironbreakers could be Ironsworn, you would need to tweak the beards (maybe with greenstuff) to get the babylonian look and maybe add some chaos bits to make them seem more sinister.  I think just a copper and red paint scheme will go a long way to making them look like chaos dwarves.

I would also strongly consider looking at the Mantic abyssal dwarf line as it is basically a complete recreation of the 8th ed chaos dwarf army but with less impressive models.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I like the idea of tainting regular Dispossessed, who are so spite-filled with grudges they succumb to Chaos.  Also, if anyone needs custom big hat bits and evil-er looking Duardin weapons I do 3D modeling!

That does sound awesome. For myself I’m going with the theme of corrupted descendants of barak mhornar(kharadron) who’ve fallen into Hashut’s grasp after running dangerously low on aether gold. Hashut promised to save their city providing they swear themselves to his service. The only conversion I’m having trouble with is how do I make bull centaurs🤔.

Edited by TheR00zle

20 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Hmmm, if they’re stemming from Kharadron perhaps Juggernaut bodies?  They’re sorta mechanical looking, like clockwork bulls.  They can be the Dark Mechanicum of the Mortal Realms 😬

I’ve had that thought as well, the only thing stopping me is price of bloodcrushers(100 dollars for a conversion is steep imo), plus I’m trying to keep the sky theme going...... maybe I can use leftover screamer tails.....