AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've played or posted, life has been so busy. I'm going to the first tounrament in over a year and a half though so I was gonna post my list here and get some feedback. It is super different from what I normally run which is a list maxed out on war machines and artillery. I used to run 2 Irondaemons, a Skullcracker, and 4 artillery (either 2 mortars and 2 magma cannons or just spam 4 magma cannons) in almost every list.  I'm trying to run more infantry to claim objectives now. I also know for a fact from the tournament packet that the first match will be fought in the realm of shadows so there is a very good chance that shooting range will be limited and people will be dropping in the back field.

The matches are:

1. Border War - Realm of Shadows
  2. Total Conquest - Realm of Beasts (No monsterous beast added)
  3. Star Strike - Realm of Life

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

Leaders
Drazhoath the Ashen (320)
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon & Spiteshield
- Trait: Grotesque 
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

Units
6 x K'Daai Fireborn (280)

War Machines
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1840 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118
I have 160 points left which I was either going to put towards a Bull Centaur Taur'ruk or toward the Blackshard Warhost battalion. I haven't ever felt like the warhost was worth it but I'm wondering if the extra command point, one less drop, and extra magic item (Chalice of Blood and Darkness to shut down some enemy casting) might outweight the mediocre battalion buffs. I suppose I could also use the 160 points for a 3rd magma cannon and use the last 20 points for an endless spell or something.  I'm totally open to advice, feedback, and criticism. Since it has been so long since I have played I could really use the help, I haven't even played with the 2018 General's Handbook yet, lol.

Edited by Browncoat89

I think the Warhost is a very good option.  The extra bravery and also the rerolling hits of 1 in melee for the dudes who don't move is useful, especially coupled with Standard's rerolling wounds of 1 in unmoved melee for them.   Probably better with more models though.  Especially if Draz is there with his ignoring battleshock ability bubble (that's a good one).

That said, I will never argue against a Tauruk!  He can form the center of the trident that is the Skullcracker, himself, and the Kdaii.

As for the general, I might recommend the Daemonsmith for that.  He's arguably more valuable being a wizard and has the Ashstorm power.  For your Castellan I recommend trying the Thermalrider Cloak, which is fluffy, and good for him to make him faster to be in range sooner for his ability.   

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think the Warhost is a very good option.  The extra bravery and also the rerolling hits of 1 in melee for the dudes who don't move is useful, especially coupled with Standard's rerolling wounds of 1 in unmoved melee for them.   Probably better with more models though.  Especially if Draz is there with his ignoring battleshock ability bubble (that's a good one).

That said, I will never argue against a Tauruk!  He can form the center of the trident that is the Skullcracker, himself, and the Kdaii.

As for the general, I might recommend the Daemonsmith for that.  He's arguably more valuable being a wizard and has the Ashstorm power.  For your Castellan I recommend trying the Thermalrider Cloak, which is fluffy, and good for him to make him faster to be in range sooner for his ability.   

That's right I forgot I can make my Daemonsmith my general and still use the Castellan's Martial Contempt command ability now as well. The new book has quite a few changes I'm still getting used to.

Edited by Browncoat89

I was thinking if he didn't use the Tauruk make the Daemonsmith the general.   Daemonsmith having the blood to throw around and being a wizard makes him a bit more useful more often than the Castellan, so it's good to give him -1 to hit.  The Castellan is low threat to most people, so he could fly and run up sneakily for a turn 2 command ability, which by then will help out everything else in range to attack the enemy.

But yeah, definitely make the Tauruk general if he's in the army.

Edited by Lord Krungharr
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I was thinking if he didn't use the Tauruk make the Daemonsmith the general.   Daemonsmith having the blood to throw around and being a wizard makes him a bit more useful more often than the Castellan, so it's good to give him -1 to hit.  The Castellan is low threat to most people, so he could fly and run up sneakily for a turn 2 command ability, which by then will help out everything else in range to attack the enemy.

But yeah, definitely make the Tauruk general if he's in the army.

Do you guys think just taking the Tauruk would be better than the Martial Contempt command ability that could buff the whole army? I was just thinking +1 to wound could be really nasty to add to 6 K'daai, the skullcracker, and all the infantry that's all.

When you put it like that.....no.  However, now I want to use both!  It's just tough to get the Castellan in range to do his thing in the hero phase.  But against a really durable, nasty, or huge horde enemy unit that could be a big game changer.  Imagining my 2 Skullwhacker Engines wounding on 2s, rerolling 1s next to a Standard Bearer.  Not to mention the Iron Daemon and Fireglaives shooting.  Boy, I'm gonna give the Castellan a new try with the Thermalrider Cloak next time I practice.

Still, it would be fun to run 6 Tauruks  just to see how much they could kill.

Got a big 5 game/2day tournament this weekend.  My first list option features:

Tauruk (General: Grotesque, Armor of Bazherak)

Tauruk

2 Daemonsmiths

Infernal Guard Standard Bearer

4x10 Fireglaives

2 Skullcracker Engines

2 Magma Cannons

Gutrot Spume w 5 Blightkings (allies) for outflanking and distraction

However!.....I am wondering how a mass unit of 12 Bull Centaur Renders would perform instead of the 2 Skullcrackers/10 Fireglaives/1 Magma Cannon?  Is having a giant line of cavalry competitive?  The idea being with that is while they can't all strike at one unit, they could possibly strike simultaneously against many units, and then I can pull any casualties off the ends to avoid splitting the unit.  I don't think the Tauruk can make all of them hit better though since they'll be too big to be wholly within the command ability range.   Anybody tried the max sized Renders yet?  I've heard many like the giant Kdaii unit, but I only have 6 and they won't be painted in time.  

14 hours ago, Entombet said:

For me centaurs after nerf are disapointing, big footprint and medicore dmg output.

I agree with you about their lack luster damage output.

Their footprint and durability are their reason to exist (my thoughts).  They can rush forward, block the enemy, and allow your slower troops to get in place/ artillery bombard them.

They have their place for sure. That and when you're sick of painting ironsworn....

• Like 1

I think I will give the mass of 12 centaurs a try next game I play, which will be vs Nighthaunts.  I agree they can be a great 'anvil' unit, and with decent hammering themselves sometimes.  I'll back them with my 6 K'daii, and 3x10 Fireglaives for battleline.  Then to fil it out probably a Daemonsmith, Tauruk, and maybe Drazhoath just to see how handy his command ability is.

I'm very happy to report a 2nd place finish for Azgorh  in a 10 player tournament over 5 games last weekend!  I got best general for Chaos, and though I went 3/2, I had the 2nd most 'tournament points', and the most Kill Points by far, 7300 total over the 5 games.   We used the Realmscape rules, and for most part they played little part, though the spells came in handy.  My list:

Tauruk (general/grotesque/armor of Bazherak)

Tauruk

2x Daemonsmiths (darkforged weapons)

Infernal Standard Bearer

4 x 10 Fireglaives

2 x Magma Cannons

2 x Skullcrackers

Gutrot Spume and 5 Blightkings for allies

I gotta say the Skullcrackers did MASSIVE WORK!  Nobody really knew what they did and they didn't ask, of course I'm always happy to answer opponent questions :D  Narrowly lost to Gutbusters game 1 (scorched earth) as I forgot about the being able to move off of objectives and still control them.  That cost me.  I'd win against him in the last game (arcane places of power) by rematch, which happened because we were both 2/2 at that time. 

Game 2 I also beat a Khorne Gore Pilgrims/Brass Despoilers army (focal points).  He made a 20" or so move with his 30 bestigors turn 1 and they charged into my lines, and also with 10 centigors.  I weathered the storm with very few casualties and erased the bestigors I think after 3 rounds of combat (he had them all bronze fleshed and ****** too).  He made the big mistake of bringing his slaughter priests and bloodstoker general out of the woods for some reason (maybe to grab the middle objective?).  Magma took care of the general, and my general and skullcracker took care of the the priests.  Gutrot and friends took the far objective and his summoned units withered them down.  That was a good suspenseful game.

Game 3 a Nurgle player with Glottkin and a plague cyst battalion also charged me turn 1, who knew how fast those Nurglies could be!!!  That was a mission with 4 objectives 12" from each corner, can't remember what it was called.  But he rolled so amazingly crappy he only killed like 4 Fireglaives that turn.  Glottkin didn't get there til turn 2.  I pretty much butchered him and stole his back objective with my own Nurglies.  I had castled 30 Fireglaives to the left obj. and the rest of my stuff to the right.  Blightkings without rend did little to the 30 Fireglaives.  Glottkin did but meh, I had way more points by then.

Game 4 was the most horrible however, and Sylvaneth make me very angry with all those dang trees!  Trees that spit mortal wounds for no reason, when I cast a spell, when I charge through them.  I feel like our Aqshy-ness should just burn them down or something.  That was I think Duality of Death?  2 objectives that only heroes could score?  I had a really rough time getting to them and no hope of dislodging his Tree Ancient.  Apparently models can't move through the actual trees of the citadel woods.  Otherwise all my Blightkings and Gutrot could have assaulted the Ancient and possibly whittled him down.  Great hard game though.  Those woods neuter guns of course with no line of sight beyond an 1".  I got like  1200-1300 kill points to his 600ish, but of course it's the objectives that count.   More speed and flight would have really really helped in that mission.  Good thing I have 6 K'daii ready to paint!

I'm definitely looking forward to Adepticon and using the Legion of Azgorh in the Championships.  Not many people play it, and it's always fun to give them a story to tell.  Especially when they see all the old big hats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just realize that the Nighthaunt ignore rend, so the hard hitting bullcentuars are a bit less effective. Also with all their units flying, make sure you have them roll for the movements over 6" to see if they tske wounds or not. At my FLGS I often play against nighthaunt and they can be a pain. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually yeah, that's a pretty decent discount for some awesome models.  Also I think it's a good viable component of an Azgorh army.  However, it might be better to not run the battalion.  Shartor is good but not as general.  A giant unit of renders is pretty useful as an anvil unit (resilient and can dish out some hurt to the enemy too).  Take 3x10 Fireglaives as batteline, couple magma cannons and daemonsmiths, and I think you're good....but do try to fit in the Infernal Guard Standard Bearer.  Rerolling 1s to wound, and the bravery buff is very good for the Renders and Heroes alike!

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2019 at 12:20 AM, peasant said:

Hello! Im thinking of buying The executioners herd from forge world to make an all Bahal army, do you think is worth?

Absolutely, models are amazing and its a fun list to play. I've run a Bull Centaur themed list at a number of local tournaments and had a blast going 2-1, 2-1 and 3-2.

This was my take on it:

Bull Centaur Tau'ruk (General)

Drazoath

Bull Centaur Renders x6

Bull Centaur Renders x6

Bull Centaur Renders x6

Infernal Guard Fireglaives x10

Lammasu

2000/2000

Edited by KevenM
  • Like 1

Lammasu was an old monster (I think derived from ancient Sumerian/Babylonian? mythology), maybe they deleted it from the app.  It was a winged Taurus body but with a giant fanged Chaos Dwarf head, with cool horns.  It was a monster and a wizard.  The old Chaos Dwarves had a sorcerer on top of one as a hero in the Fantasy Battle.

7 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Lammasu?!  Love that guy, that's what I used for my Drazhoath :D  But then you couldn't take the Azgorh allegiance.  But you could plop a Slaves to Darkness Sorcerer Lord on one and ally that in, with a Chaos Mark.  That would provide maximum fireball throwing.  Wish I had another 6 Renders to try out that big of a herd.

The Lammasu falls under Monster of Chaos which is an ally for LoA so you can still use the allegiance ability. It is still on the Warscroll Builder app too (along with the Great Taurus which I've also run).

Its not super competitive but its still a cool model which you and your opponent will get a kick out of. Plus it still does some useful things in the army like fly, high(ish) movement, spell caster and giving a -1 to cast for enemy non-chaos wizards... for 140 points. Again, obviously not bleeding edge competitive but it can move with Drazoath and the Bull Centaurs a lot better than a Daemonsmith and is a fun option for a themed list!

Here is mine - painted a long time ago and probably the only Lammasu on a round base in all of the world 😂:

20180318_012836.jpg

20180318_012901.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey everybody. Praise Hashut! I am new to this forum and have been reading through this entire thread. I have been fascninated by this army the first time I laid eyes on it :) Here is my idea for a list and maybe you could give me some feedback and or ideas for improvement. I would really appreciate your help! Thanks in advance!

LEADERS
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Command Trait : Grotesque
- Artefact : Armour of Bazherak the Cruel

Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

UNITS
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
9 x K'Daai Fireborn (420)

WAR MACHINES
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000
EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0    WOUNDS: 128    LEADERS: 3/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)
BEHEMOTHS: 2/4    ARTILLERY: 2/4    ARTEFACTS: 1/1    ALLIES: 0/400

Edited by B.C.D.

That's almost the army I used yesterday at a 3 game tournament.  I only had 4x10 Fireglaives and 6 K'Daai, and no Geminids.  Plus another Tauruk and an Infernal Guard Standard Bearer.   (vs Troggoths….close tough good fight, but I couldn't get behind his lines and the Gloomspites have some crazy insane magical shenanigans! , then Nighthaunts….tabled him in Escalation, helped that all the objectives were on the table centerline, then Stormcast…...tabled me, dropping behind with some friggin hornblower terrain mortal wound causer and lightning handed Evocators, plus a comet spell in front of me that I never was able to dispel, and a little dracoth guy that had a 2+ save rerolling 1s and bouncing mortal wounds off back at me when making 5+ saves, ugh, that was brutal)

Many swear by K'Daai;  I only used them in 3 games, they were fast but ultimately hit like  a wet noodle.  And despite the ignoring rend, the 5+ save is just too crappy as is their Bravery (why they are Daemon and only Bravery 6 is confounding!).  I would have much rather had my Gutrot Spume and 5 Blightkings or another Skullcracker or 2 more magma cannons.  Maybe then the maxed out 12 is actually the best way since that's buckets of attacks and D3 damage each at 3".  That could work.  The unit discount is nice at 12 models too.

I think with big units like that 9 K'Daai, Azgorh could well use Drazhoath, despite his enormous points investment.  The no battleshock is very very good, and he's a solid wizard, who is durable and can sometimes do well in combat.   

The Fireglaives were also quite lackluster, though I really just use them for required battleliners and holding objectives when they are still alive.  

The Infernal Standard Bearer was very very helpful, so I would highly recommend him for 100 points.

In my next game with Azgorh I'll give the 12 Bull Centaur unit a try with Drazhoath.  As a 40k Imperial Guard Commander once said, there's no more stirring sight in battle than the charge of mass cavalry.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:23 PM, Browncoat89 said:

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've played or posted, life has been so busy. I'm going to the first tounrament in over a year and a half though so I was gonna post my list here and get some feedback. It is super different from what I normally run which is a list maxed out on war machines and artillery. I used to run 2 Irondaemons, a Skullcracker, and 4 artillery (either 2 mortars and 2 magma cannons or just spam 4 magma cannons) in almost every list.  I'm trying to run more infantry to claim objectives now. I also know for a fact from the tournament packet that the first match will be fought in the realm of shadows so there is a very good chance that shooting range will be limited and people will be dropping in the back field.

The matches are:

1. Border War - Realm of Shadows
  2. Total Conquest - Realm of Beasts (No monsterous beast added)
  3. Star Strike - Realm of Life

Leaders
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon & Spiteshield
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline

Units

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1840 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Wounds: 118
I have 160 points left which I was either going to put towards a Bull Centaur Taur'ruk or toward the Blackshard Warhost battalion. I haven't ever felt like the warhost was worth it but I'm wondering if the extra command point, one less drop, and extra magic item (Chalice of Blood and Darkness to shut down some enemy casting) might outweight the mediocre battalion buffs. I suppose I could also use the 160 points for a 3rd magma cannon and use the last 20 points for an endless spell or something.  I'm totally open to advice, feedback, and criticism. Since it has been so long since I have played I could really use the help, I haven't even played with the 2018 General's Handbook yet, lol.

This would be a good variation of what you have there:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 136

You'll still have tons of infantry, some good shooting and melee, as well as spellpower.