AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I have to rebase all my heroes, my death shreikers, and skullcracker :( I have a tournament in January too :( . The skullcracker I can live with but the heroes on 25mm will only have room for basic bases :( the dreadquake is mental the model is 200mm long ?

Edited by Moogoodoo

So we have our own base gate. Let's try to fix this. I am going to wait until the next FAQ to change anything since I think some of these base sizes will change when they try themselves to but the model on the suggested base size.

But in the meanwhile, what are the correct base sizes, should we try to agree on a list. I am sure they read this thread.

Let's start, this is my suggested base sizes:

Bull Centaur Renders 90 x 52mm

Bull Centaur Taur’ruk 90 x 52mm

Daemonsmith 25mm

Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher 105 x 70mm

Drazhoath the Ashen 120 x 92mm

Dreadquake Mortar 170 x 105mm

Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer 25mm

Infernal Guard Castellan 25mm

Infernal Guard Fireglaives 25mm

Infernal Guard Ironsworn 25mm

Iron Daemon War Engine 120 x 92mm

K’Daai Fireborn 50mm

Magma Cannon 105 x 70mm

Shar’tor the Executioner 105 x 70mm

Skullcracker War Engine 170 x 105mm

Do you agree? I could see that some would like to put the small heroes on 32mm and that would also be ok with me.

Edited by Andreas
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, BWG Cannonball said:

One thing I've noticed, if you get the actual new Forgeworld Special Edition Daemonsmith with Pyrestaff, it comes with a 32mm round base on it.

And this guy sold in the Warhammer World store comes with a textured base in you guessed it...32mm!

0704182208.jpg

On 12/18/2018 at 8:02 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Man, that's a nice model.  Seems like they keep wanting everything on bigger and bigger bases.  Why?  Bullgors are now on 50mm, Flesh Hounds too.  Makes it hard to augment model storage and transport too.

They actually threw flesh hounds back on the small ovals, same as dire wolves

I will feed this all back into @Ben Johnson and the FAQ team at GW.

_____

Daemonsmiths pack - 25mm

Warhammer World Deamonsmith complete with resin base 32mm
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher 105 x 70mm - Not seen one of these on a 105.  Mine are on 120 and look ok 
Dreadquake Mortar 170 x 105mm - 120 is WAY too small. 
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer 25mm - I have a pack of these in my hand and they are packaged with 25mm rounds. 
K’Daai Fireborn 50mm 

Magma Cannon 105 x 70mm - I use 120 on my magmas and it fills the base. Not sure a 105 is a good idea here?   
Skullcracker War Engine 170 x 105mm  - The 120 is WAY too small.

4 hours ago, Ben said:

I will feed this all back into @Ben Johnson and the FAQ team at GW.

_____

Daemonsmiths pack - 25mm

Warhammer World Deamonsmith complete with resin base 32mm
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher 105 x 70mm - Not seen one of these on a 105.  Mine are on 120 and look ok 
Dreadquake Mortar 170 x 105mm - 120 is WAY too small. 
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer 25mm - I have a pack of these in my hand and they are packaged with 25mm rounds. 
K’Daai Fireborn 50mm 

Magma Cannon 105 x 70mm - I use 120 on my magmas and it fills the base. Not sure a 105 is a good idea here?   
Skullcracker War Engine 170 x 105mm  - The 120 is WAY too small.

I think the death shreaker should be on the smaller base, but agree with you about the magma and the other messurments :). 

On 12/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, Ben said:

Here is a picture of my magma cannons on 105x70mm from a game yesterday. I think they look good on that base size. I would prefer 105mm but I could go either way. 

A545987D-F9AB-47C0-8735-F5BE26E4DC60.jpeg

Edited by Andreas

Hi—I got 3 Renders for X-mas (yay) to use in my casual LoA army. What you guys think about using a unit of 3, or is it mandatory to have 6 and let’s say Shar’tor as supporting hero... I don’t mind dropping the extra $$$ but I my LoA is like  my fourth army so if I can avoid it I will 😉 

7 hours ago, misthv said:

Hi—I got 3 Renders for X-mas (yay) to use in my casual LoA army. What you guys think about using a unit of 3, or is it mandatory to have 6 and let’s say Shar’tor as supporting hero... I don’t mind dropping the extra $$$ but I my LoA is like  my fourth army so if I can avoid it I will 😉 

They hit like a truck, move pretty well, and have survivability. I've run them as a part of a list as a solo entity and they can absolutely hold their own. Even when running them as 2 or 3 different units, I'll break them off to each take on an individual enemy unit by themselves. Enjoy them, they're fun to paint!

• LOVE IT! 1

So, awaiting my Renders I put together this list, any thoughts on improvement? 🙂 Not sure about the Rocket Launcher, but struggle to find better use of 120p. 

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

Leaders
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel  
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon & Spiteshield
- Trait: Grotesque  

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

Units
3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (140)
- Allies
- Allies

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000

15 hours ago, misthv said:

So, awaiting my Renders I put together this list, any thoughts on improvement? 🙂 Not sure about the Rocket Launcher, but struggle to find better use of 120p. 

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

Leaders
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel  
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon & Spiteshield
- Trait: Grotesque  

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

Units
- Allies
- Allies

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000

I’m not convinced that you’re going to find the enlightened to be all that useful. I assume you’re using them as mobile objective cappers but I think Fireborn are better for that role.

The issue with enlightened is that they are best when they go second (obviously) but when you have such small units, losing 1-2 before you swing is, naturally, no bueno. If you want the enlightened to actually do work, I’d keep them as one unit of 6

2 hours ago, Luke1705 said:

I’m not convinced that you’re going to find the enlightened to be all that useful. I assume you’re using them as mobile objective cappers but I think Fireborn are better for that role.

The issue with enlightened is that they are best when they go second (obviously) but when you have such small units, losing 1-2 before you swing is, naturally, no bueno. If you want the enlightened to actually do work, I’d keep them as one unit of 6

Ok—thanks for input! Yeah, I figured 16” move would be great for that. You’re right about them being fragile so I’ll probably make a unit of 6. 

1 hour ago, misthv said:

Ok—thanks for input! Yeah, I figured 16” move would be great for that. You’re right about them being fragile so I’ll probably make a unit of 6. 

It's less that they're fragile - they're actually surprisingly durable with 4 wounds each - and more that their big boon is the ability to go second and just go bonkers on a unit. I have a unit of 9 and it's just not ok how much hurt they put out (although to be fair I play them in tzeentch where I can bring dead models back to life with fold reality, so they keep doing work all game!)

2018 was the year of Stormcast for me. For 2019, i'm going to go the whole other way and run Legion of Azgorh.

image.png.a035e9de52a08a0574fdd8442a246a4b.png

This is my idea for an initial 1000 points.

It's primarily driven by the old school big-hat models I already own (command, ironsworn and the rocket), plus what I think is actually decent in their PDF - fireglaives and fireborn.

I plan to get the fireglaives from Norba miniatures and use Spirit Hosts for the fireborn (which I've seen before and am shamelessly stealing, because it looks cool)

I would appreciate thoughts on unit sizes in a 1000 point game. I have a feeling fireglaives might be better in two units of 10 or that I should commit to one unit of 6 fireborn.

Eventually I would expand it out similar to Rob's list on Honest Wargamer, though I wouldn't go all in on Fireglaives (though I would add more), but also take the remainder of my big hats in a block of 30.

First thing is to get all the old stuff rebased onto lava resin rounds 🙂

Hello! I’m pretty new to both forums, this site, and legion of asgorh lol! I was wondering if people think we can be competitive without using k’daii or bulls and focusing on evil dwarven infantry with some artillery support. I like the idea of metal boots on the ground (currently my tzeentch collection uses vast infantry formations of chaos warriors) and was just curious if leaving out the other tools would hurt my army of beardlings

On 1/3/2019 at 1:06 PM, tamthethird said:

This is my idea for an initial 1000 points.

It's primarily driven by the old school big-hat models I already own (command, ironsworn and the rocket), plus what I think is actually decent in their PDF - fireglaives and fireborn.

I plan to get the fireglaives from Norba miniatures and use Spirit Hosts for the fireborn (which I've seen before and am shamelessly stealing, because it looks cool)

I would appreciate thoughts on unit sizes in a 1000 point game. I have a feeling fireglaives might be better in two units of 10 or that I should commit to one unit of 6 fireborn.

Eventually I would expand it out similar to Rob's list on Honest Wargamer, though I wouldn't go all in on Fireglaives (though I would add more), but also take the remainder of my big hats in a block of 30.

First thing is to get all the old stuff rebased onto lava resin rounds 🙂

I'd run a Taur'ruk and 2 x 20 Glaives instead of the Shrieker, Ironsworn and Castellan, if you run a large unit of K'daii you might want to consider adding a Sorcerer Lord to buff these with Daemonic Power

Good Luck :)

Edited by Lamekh
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Hello! I’m pretty new to both forums, this site, and legion of asgorh lol! I was wondering if people think we can be competitive without using k’daii or bulls and focusing on evil dwarven infantry with some artillery support. I like the idea of metal boots on the ground (currently my tzeentch collection uses vast infantry formations of chaos warriors) and was just curious if leaving out the other tools would hurt my army of beardlings

Welcome to the Dawi Zharr!  I think you can definitely make a good showing with vast amounts of Fireglaives protected by Ironsworn.   The Blackshard Warhost is a very good battalion.  You'll for sure want a couple Daemonsmiths too.  As for the artillery, I really recommend NOT investing in the Dreadquake or Deathshriekers.  The Magma Cannons are good, I never like to take more than two though.

The Tauruk is an excellent general.  Since we don't have too many Traits to choose from might as well take a durable hard hitting general.  And there are sooooo many relics to choose from if you have Malign Sorcery's book for the Realm artefacts/weapons.  Actually I've wanted to try the Chalice of Blood and Darkness; it could really ****** over enemy wizard armies.  If you take the Blackshard Warhost you could try that on a Daemonsmith and something else on the Tauruk.  

I have not used my Kdaii yet (got 6 for Christmas) but I have used Skullcracker Engines to excellent effect.  They have a similar damage output though also hit better and have rend-1.  The Skullcracker and Tauruk would be fun kitbashing opportunities if you can't get ahold of the actual models (the Skullcracker specifically is nearly impossible to find).  

If you want artillery though and Iron Daemon is pretty decent.  Not super awesome but pretty good. 

Also don't discount using allies of some sort.   You can use any models for allies with any of the Chaos god keywords., and there are plenty of fast melee speedbump units you could take (Flesh Hounds, Hellstriders, Tzaangor Enlightened on discs, Pusgoyle Blightlords).  That is good for holding enemies up letting the little guns move up and shoot them as most do not like to retreat from combat.  Also more sorcerous support is good, like a Sorcerer Lord for Daemonic Power.  Tzaangor Shaman and Enlightened on discs could be really good allies, especially if you take the Beasts of Chaos Dirgehorn and/or Taurus Endless Spells.  I have found Gutrot Spume and 5 Blightkings to be super good as they can outflank, and Azgorh Dwarves are pretty dang slow, so need that positioning.

Maxing out the Warhost battalion is a great way to do the infantry skewed Legion of Azgorh.  They'll be rocking Bravery 10 too with all the buffs, so little chance they'll run away much.  It's only 122 models to paint :D

• LOVE IT! 1

13 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Welcome to the Dawi Zharr!  I think you can definitely make a good showing with vast amounts of Fireglaives protected by Ironsworn.   The Blackshard Warhost is a very good battalion.  You'll for sure want a couple Daemonsmiths too.  As for the artillery, I really recommend NOT investing in the Dreadquake or Deathshriekers.  The Magma Cannons are good, I never like to take more than two though.

The Tauruk is an excellent general.  Since we don't have too many Traits to choose from might as well take a durable hard hitting general.  And there are sooooo many relics to choose from if you have Malign Sorcery's book for the Realm artefacts/weapons.  Actually I've wanted to try the Chalice of Blood and Darkness; it could really ****** over enemy wizard armies.  If you take the Blackshard Warhost you could try that on a Daemonsmith and something else on the Tauruk.  

I have not used my Kdaii yet (got 6 for Christmas) but I have used Skullcracker Engines to excellent effect.  They have a similar damage output though also hit better and have rend-1.  The Skullcracker and Tauruk would be fun kitbashing opportunities if you can't get ahold of the actual models (the Skullcracker specifically is nearly impossible to find).  

If you want artillery though and Iron Daemon is pretty decent.  Not super awesome but pretty good. 

Also don't discount using allies of some sort.   You can use any models for allies with any of the Chaos god keywords., and there are plenty of fast melee speedbump units you could take (Flesh Hounds, Hellstriders, Tzaangor Enlightened on discs, Pusgoyle Blightlords).  That is good for holding enemies up letting the little guns move up and shoot them as most do not like to retreat from combat.  Also more sorcerous support is good, like a Sorcerer Lord for Daemonic Power.  Tzaangor Shaman and Enlightened on discs could be really good allies, especially if you take the Beasts of Chaos Dirgehorn and/or Taurus Endless Spells.  I have found Gutrot Spume and 5 Blightkings to be super good as they can outflank, and Azgorh Dwarves are pretty dang slow, so need that positioning.

Maxing out the Warhost battalion is a great way to do the infantry skewed Legion of Azgorh.  They'll be rocking Bravery 10 too with all the buffs, so little chance they'll run away much.  It's only 122 models to paint :D

Thank you sooo much for the detailed reply! I used to play death (vampires) before archaon went and split the earth (that darn rascal) so I’m no stranger to hordes! I don’t want to fill this with too many questions but after some play testing vs ogors and lightning bois ive noticed in many scenarios my magma cannons (which are built from the ironblaster kit, I don’t have a way of purchasing things online so I convert most of my stuff for chaos dwarves) don’t seem to pull their weight in smaller games. I go to GW tournaments at the local store and the Meta is built around 1k lists which from my experience reading this thread and a few others is less common and much different to 2k points meta. My usual list for these games is something like:

40 Fireglaives (in 2 units of 20)

2 magma cannons

daemonsmith w/ grotesque and bezerahk armour 

20 ironsworn (in two units of 10)

I’m thinking that in smaller games like 1k maybe damage is less important over bodies and heroes, so I’m looking for any feedback as the lists I’ve playtested have been that one with minor changes (like maybe a hero added and a unit dropped or vice versa) If anyone has any insight on evil stunties in smaller games like this or a way of improving my general list I’m all ears! My ideas so far is Tauruk, lifeswarm endless spell or burning head endless spell (might have the wrong names, the one that burns up units and also gives a minor buff is what’s i meant by burning head) I also haven’t used realm rules so suggestions on better relics and maybe spells that work well in practice would be nice 

I think in my last 1000 point game I ran 4x10 Fireglaives, a Daemonsmith, the Infernal Guard Standard Bearer, 1 Magma Cannon, a Tauruk (General w Grotesque and Bazherak Armor), and a Skullcracker.  I ran the Standard Bearer up behind the Tauruk and Skullcracker.  My Fireglaives stayed back on my objective (it was Take & Hold on a 4x4 foot table) and spread towards the edges so his Gors wouldn't be able to outflank behind me.  I was able to shoot  enough Gors and Bestigors and limit how many he could charge and pile in to my Fireglaives so they stayed alive enough to shoot back.  I Magma Cannoned his Doombull down to 1 wound and the Tauruk finished that guy off.  The Skullcracker took care of the Spawn and Bestigors whilst the Tauruk closed in on the Herdstone and it's protective Gors and Beastlord.  He conceded end of turn 2.  

The Skullcracker and Tauruk provide some speed which is sorely needed.  I might recommend trying 1 cannon, and 2x10 Fireglaives (keep the Ironsworn).   I also used the Ironblasters to make my Magma Cannons!   I think many many bits will be able to make the Tauruk, stick a dwarf on any beasty looking torso, greenstuff the feet to look like hooves if needed.   He's too good to not have as the General, unless you have Drazhoath (mine's the old Chaos Dwarf on Lammasu).   Draz is good for mass Azgorh infantry with his no battleshock command ability, but too many points for 1k games.

I know Chronomantic Cogs is a good spell.  If you run just 1 Daemonsmith, you could cast that, slow down time, and still cast his Ashstorm (great power).   Then next turn you could still slow down time and do that and Mystic Shield for someone.   Or if needed speed up time if you're in charge range and need to clobber something badly.  Geminids is also super good but you'll have to run the Daemonsmith up a bit.

Realm spells are only in effect if the battle takes place in that realm.  But you can say your army is from a realm and use those artefacts/weapons though.  I always thought Aqshy's Thermalrider Cloak would be fun on a Tauruk, or even a Castellan (to get him into command ability range).  The latter would really help out masses of Fireglaives but not til at least turn 2.  Nice thing about 1K games on a 4x4 foot table is you can get a couple games in rather than 1, for more practice trying things out.

Kitbash a Skullcracker too.

• LOVE IT! 1

Lord krungharr you have been so helpful! I’ll be looking for some kitbash ideas! I believe I have a battle wagon from my tiny ork collection that I could borrow so,e weaponry from haha! So from the looks of things fire Glaives are incredibly effective in smaller games which is most likely from their ability to snipe heroes and kill specific threats, we need faster threats in order to help vs other armies who out speed our units.  I’ve also been looking at an idea using 30 Fireglaives and an under point list in order to use the rerolls to hit triumph, in a small game that would easily cripple even the toughest units or heroes.  I think the tauruk is an amazing idea expecially during those pesky missions where you need heroes to secure objectives! I’ll be looking forward to seeing what other posts end up in this thread!