AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I’m looking at Legion of Azgorh as used to have some chaos dwarfs back in the days of mono pose plastic axemen. I know this statement may make people laugh but looking at the data sheet fireborn now seem to be one of the best units in the game (bar bravery you need that command point for inspiring). Yet I’ve never heard anyone ever mention them (in real life discussions).

Theyre quick

great damage output on 3” range weapons. Unit of 12 for 480 averages 40 wounds or over 60 when buffed. 

Defence is pretty good at 10 points per wound at full unit size, on 5+ ethereal.

curious if anyone is playing a big unit of them out there? Seems a good addition to add speed and punch. 

Edited by Reuben Parker
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

I’m looking at Legion of Azgorh as used to have some chaos dwarfs back in the days of mono pose plastic axemen. I know this statement may make people laugh but looking at the data sheet fireborn now seem to be one of the best units in the game (bar bravery you need that command point for inspiring). Yet I’ve never heard anyone ever mention them (in real life discussions).

Theyre quick

great damage output on 3” range weapons. Unit of 12 for 480 averages 40 wounds or over 60 when buffed. 

Defence is pretty good at 10 points per wound at full unit size, on 5+ ethereal.

curious if anyone is playing a big unit of them out there? Seems a good addition to add speed and punch. 

I've been running a max unit and have found them pretty much amazing, especially if you get the right buff combos going. Burning head gives re-rolls of 1 to hit, banner bearer gives re-rolls of 1 to wound, castellan command ability gives +1 to wound, with this combo my local meta have become terrified of them. 

Last game they took out a mortis engine, 15 grave guard and almost killed a vampire lord on zombie dragon in just the first charge. K'daai fireborn are truly fantastic, but once they have shown their power in the first few games they will get focus fired to hell in the next.

I think the main reason you dont hear about them much is because of bull centaurs. Most LoA players I have met prefer the bull centaurs + heroes, and it's hard to fit bull centaurs and k'daai into a list without losing out on other options. It also doesnt help that bull centaurs were basically flat out better than k'daai until the 2nd edition update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reuben Parker said:

Theyre quick

The biggest issue by far is that they aren't battleline so you need normal units first, and when you do that you start to see the issue becoming apparent that shartorr lead bull renders are easier to build synergy with when both are already included as your core. Add some guns and some blocks for objective holding and you start running low on points. They are great, especially as a second wave behind the bulls, but having them as an extra choice can make them an awkward inclusion at times

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Theyre quick

My Executioner Herd runs K'daai x 12.  

My list is:

Shar'tor (General)
Taur'ruk (Armor of Bazherak the Cruel)
Drazhoath the Ashen
Daemonsmith (Chalice of Blood and Darkness)
Bull Centaurs x 3
Bull Centaurs x 3
Bull Centaurs x 3
K'daai  Fireborn x 12
Malevolent Maelstrom
Execution Herd

4-drop list.  You will start with 1 Command Point so that your Fireborn don't die to Battleshock instantly if you don't get the first turn.  8" fly with run + charge on 60 attacks that do d3 damage?!  For 480 points?!  Agreed... they're the unsung heroes of the compendium, but I still haven't found the right balance with them in a non-centaur list.  I've utilized Damned terrain on them for reroll 1's to hit... and the effects were devastating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

My Executioner Herd runs K'daai x 12.  

My list is:

Shar'tor (General)
Taur'ruk (Armor of Bazherak the Cruel)
Drazhoath the Ashen
Daemonsmith (Chalice of Blood and Darkness)
Bull Centaurs x 3
Bull Centaurs x 3
Bull Centaurs x 3
K'daai  Fireborn x 12
Malevolent Maelstrom
Execution Herd

4-drop list.  You will start with 1 Command Point so that your Fireborn don't die to Battleshock instantly if you don't get the first turn.  8" fly with run + charge on 60 attacks that do d3 damage?!  For 480 points?!  Agreed... they're the unsung heroes of the compendium, but I still haven't found the right balance with them in a non-centaur list.  I've utilized Damned terrain on them for reroll 1's to hit... and the effects were devastating.

Very nice list, I like the speed and punch it has. One question though shouldn’t the Taur’ruk be general then you can give him the grotesque trait?

Also with access to realm items is there anything better than the chalice for the second item. I love CP farm in most lists and this one has lots of uses for command points. 

Edited by Reuben Parker

11 minutes ago, Reuben Parker said:

Very nice list, I like the speed and punch it has. One question though shouldn’t the Taur’ruk be general then you can give him the grotesque trait?

Shar'tor as General makes the Bull Centaurs battleline. 

Edited by Blackspine
clarification

3 hours ago, Reuben Parker said:

Also with access to realm items is there anything better than the chalice for the second item. I love CP farm in most lists and this one has lots of uses for command points. 

Can't do that and have Bull Centaurs as Battleline.  Need Shar'tor for that.  If you really wanted -1 to hit, you can give feather charm artifact from realm of beasts.

New Endless spell previewed at Warhammerfest. They haven't stated which faction this one is for but if I was a betting man I'd definitly place my money on the Legion!!

Oh and by the way, that's a gorgeous sculpt and I want FW to make LoA stuff in that style. Just saying.

WHFestLiveBlog-August18-FlamingBull-1dl.jpg

Edited by KevenM

39 minutes ago, Grendel said:

If FW were releasing it, I'd say Legion.

but since it's GW, I'm betting Beastmen. 

Where did they specify that GW was making it? The same blog post also included some horus heresy reveals, so the hopeful part of me is still holding on for azgorh

Hi . 

I win last Tournament in spain with this list

General 

Bull centaur tauruk   Groteske / Bazherak

Drazoath the ashen

Shar'tor

Basic

10 fireglaives

10 fireglaives

30 Infernal guard

3 Renders

3 Renders

3 Renders

1 iron deamon 

1  Flamer.

With this list i kill the problems with range and shock really hard where i want.  With a lot of units i can really enjoy the armor passive .   3 Major Victories :D and surprise for the mass of stormcasts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JCar09 said:

Hi . 

I win last Tournament in spain with this list

General 

Bull centaur tauruk   Groteske / Bazherak

Drazoath the ashen

Shar'tor

Basic

10 fireglaives

10 fireglaives

30 Infernal guard

3 Renders

3 Renders

3 Renders

1 iron deamon 

1  Flamer.

With this list i kill the problems with range and shock really hard where i want.  With a lot of units i can really enjoy the armor passive .   3 Major Victories :D and surprise for the mass of stormcasts.

Good to hear that a Legion army teach  Stormcasts some respect ?

Just gonna say, if this flaming bull spell isn't for a surprise announcement of Chaos Duardin, then GW are seriously cruel, ahahaha. Especially given how they know more than anyone that a flaming bull of shadow is the exact motif of Hashut and Chorfs to the tee.

I'm gonna try and not get my hopes up but god could you imagine if we DID get plastic Chaos Duardin? Hhhhhnnng

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FERRUMITE said:

Just gonna say, if this flaming bull spell isn't for a surprise announcement of Chaos Duardin, then GW are seriously cruel, ahahaha. Especially given how they know more than anyone that a flaming bull of shadow is the exact motif of Hashut and Chorfs to the tee.

I'm gonna try and not get my hopes up but god could you imagine if we DID get plastic Chaos Duardin? Hhhhhnnng

exactly my thoughts...would be a dream come true

On the endless spell a GW employee was saying he doubts its LoA as they’re under FW domain. He was thinking maybe darkoath, my gut feel was it fits LoA perfectly but would seem strange for a specific spell given that LoA are a low player count army. 

Thinking more into getting into them myself as I know someone who is looking to part with a bunch of fireborn and fireglaives which fits with what I’m thinking of running. Was playing around with a few list ideas in warscroll and think the magmacannons although great may lead down the wrong path, as they seem to make a good horde army.

Taur’ruk with grotesque and armour 

3 daemonsmith (maybe trade one for standard bearer and or castellan if change endless spell for more buff heroes)

3*30 fireglaives

12 fireborn 

20 marauders 

pendulum 

180 wounds and plenty of mortal wound output between spells and shooting. Main negative I foresee is battleshock and lack of battalion making it 9 drop. Flip side it seems on paper to me to have a lot of power and board control.

I not one to get my hopes up for Chaos Dwarfs, not because I'm being negative just so used to nothing for an army for 15+ years does that to you, but damn! These endless spells are a lovely nod back to the old days of fantasy battle... Purple Sun. That find that @KevenM posted is the most hopeful that I've ever been this may be something new for us

... However it's hard to escape that the head is a plastic minotaur, it looks to be GW plastic kit like the other spells and Darkoath are on the cards. My money would go on them (but my heart says CHAOS DWARFS PLEEEEEEASE!) 

Also has anyone found out why @Ben was asking us about the Skullcraker yet....

Hope it's Chaos Dwarfs and not Darkoath. All we've seen of Darkoath is that they are generic and boring barbarians, at least with their two existing miniatures. Chaos Dwarfs are much more original and interesting.

Edited by cash4u

43 minutes ago, cash4u said:

Hope it's Chaos Dwarfs and not Darkoath. All we've seen of Darkoath is that they are generic and boring barbarians at least with their two existing miniatures, Chaos Dwarfs are much more original and interesting.

Don't tell that to the Darkoath players who are looking forwards to their Malign Portents predicted update! ?

4 hours ago, cash4u said:

Hope it's Chaos Dwarfs and not Darkoath. All we've seen of Darkoath is that they are generic and boring barbarians, at least with their two existing miniatures. Chaos Dwarfs are much more original and interesting.

If we've only really seen 2 miniatures, who's to say the rest of the line isn't more unique? If I recall, they're meant to be more Norscan instead of just slaves to darkness/Chaos marauder type things and have a lot to do with beastly themes, possibly even combining beastmen in some way from what I've heard. 

That sounds unique enough to me. When FW already has everything Chaos Dwarf related (and seemingly selling quite well as of 2.0 with the new rules), why would GW do anything with them over an entire new faction which has been something they are doing more and more.