AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 7/24/2018 at 2:31 PM, eekamouse said:

Thoughts on this list?

Thinking to add more of the artillery, but running the Execution Herd seems so tempting since you can switch targets after you dispatch the initial unit. 

I could drop Draz but he seems like amazing bait. Does my opponent attack the Herd? Do they attack Draz? I feel like that’s a good dilemma. 

Maybe drop the artillery all together for some Endless Spells and keep the Smith and Draz to drop spells? 

E1CC56E5-557A-403A-8B19-5FBE6F4CD487.png

52D82B61-E327-48BF-8701-57DC90F79BCC.png

I just had great success in a local tournament with a similar list.  Instead of the deathshrieker and the ironsworn, I had Chronomantic Cogs, Aethervoid Pendulum and 20 Fireglaives.  I couldn't believe how well it went, I tabled all 3 of my opponents: Ironjaws, Beastclaw Raiders and Khorne.  I was sad though I wasn't able to test my list against more magic or gunline lists.  Blackshard armour makes us super resilient.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Dear God,

After months of convincing myself, I've decided not to start another army, especially Chaos Dwarfs. No new army until I finish all my projects.

Ścibors Tzar on Warbull is coming my way :X

I've decided to avoid FW as much as possible - due to their recent abysmal quality I've seen (7mm gaps on WH40K Baneblade) and pricing that does not go hand in hand with said quality, so I went with other producents.

Norba miniatures caught my eyes with their Infernal Dwarfs miniatures - they are dirt cheap and look good.

Does anyone have any experience with that product? 

One of my friend bought some dwarves from Scibor and the scaling is a little bit higher than GW dwarves (duardins). I would say they look a little bit like GW human scale. They are 28mm scale afterall, but well as someone else said... it's a matter of taste

1 hour ago, embuste7 said:

I just had great success in a local tournament with a similar list.  Instead of the deathshrieker and the ironsworn, I had Chronomantic Cogs, Aethervoid Pendulum and 20 Fireglaives.  I couldn't believe how well it went, I tabled all 3 of my opponents: Ironjaws, Beastclaw Raiders and Khorne.  I was sad though I wasn't able to test my list against more magic or gunline lists.  Blackshard armour makes us super resilient.

I feel like with this sorta list you'd struggle with out of place units. Having  such a strong frontline will weaken your back units as they won't be able to support them nearly as well.

To help I'd suggest dropping the block of ironsworn and swapping the fireglaives to 2x10, and adding in either some kdaai or more artillery. That way the Herd can do their thing whilst the rest of your army pumps out long range death. Splitting the fireglaives will help for deep strike armies too 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tanfew said:

I feel like with this sorta list you'd struggle with out of place units. Having  such a strong frontline will weaken your back units as they won't be able to support them nearly as well.

To help I'd suggest dropping the block of ironsworn and swapping the fireglaives to 2x10, and adding in either some kdaai or more artillery. That way the Herd can do their thing whilst the rest of your army pumps out long range death. Splitting the fireglaives will help for deep strike armies too 

Good point, but with Chronomantic cogs my army moves pretty fast and those Fireglaives are always in range to backup the renders, this army is more of a mid board army.  But I'll experiment with artillery.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

How do you all model the fireglaive/ironsworn unit leaders? As far as I can tell the only model that comes with a pistol is the castellan; do Forgeworld expect us to buy a command set per unit? The Blackshard Warhost only comes with one command set on the webstore and the unit kits don't seem to come with a leader/drummer/banner.

7 minutes ago, Calow said:

Hey everyone,

How do you all model the fireglaive/ironsworn unit leaders? As far as I can tell the only model that comes with a pistol is the castellan; do Forgeworld expect us to buy a command set per unit? The Blackshard Warhost only comes with one command set on the webstore and the unit kits don't seem to come with a leader/drummer/banner.

Unless you make your own conversions, you have to buy a command set for every unit. This is especially annoying as the leader is actually a downgrade.

EDIT: Specifically, the fireglaive leader is a downgrade.

Edited by swarmofseals
  • Sad 1

Just now, swarmofseals said:

Unless you make your own conversions, you have to buy a command set for every unit. This is especially annoying as the leader is actually a downgrade.

Was worried that was the case, kinda makes the castellan model less unique if u have one in each unit too. 

9 hours ago, Calow said:

Hey everyone,

Skip the unit leader. I haven't read anywhere that a unit needs a unit leader. Have anyone else seen such rule?

(But if a unit of  fireglaives has a leader he is a fireglaive deathmask as per the warscroll rules.... ?).

Edited by Andreas

Hello All!

I had some questions regarding playing with the Blackshard Warhost.  Previously, the battalion said that if you moved in the movement phase you could not reroll 1's to hit.  Now it just says if you move, you do not get the bonus. 

This question may have been answered already but does this include pile in currently?  Second, if it does include pile in, how are you dealing with this issue; are you setting up with your dwarfs in a particular formation that helps maximize the amount of models that can attack?  I appreciate any advice on how to counter this poor language in the warscroll.  Thank you all! 

1 hour ago, Marcoangelo33 said:

Hello All!

I had some questions regarding playing with the Blackshard Warhost.  Previously, the battalion said that if you moved in the movement phase you could not reroll 1's to hit.  Now it just says if you move, you do not get the bonus. 

This question may have been answered already but does this include pile in currently?  Second, if it does include pile in, how are you dealing with this issue; are you setting up with your dwarfs in a particular formation that helps maximize the amount of models that can attack?  I appreciate any advice on how to counter this poor language in the warscroll.  Thank you all! 

Yes, it does include pile in. If you pile in, you do not get the benefit of movement for that unit in the BlackshardWarhost that turn. 
Ideally, you have other combats going on, you can elect to activate those first, letting your enemy pile in onto the Ironsworn (hopefully not the Fireglaives....)
While not fully ideal, they do have spite shields, and that can help tremendously. Hopefully you have Inspiring + Mystic shield on them when they get attacked. 

That and the Castellan's ability for them.

Good luck!

On 8/4/2018 at 9:09 PM, Calow said:

Hey everyone,

I bought 2 blackshard warhosts so I usually run them in units of 20+ so I have command models avaliable.

For fireglaive I've been asking my opponent if unit leaders are mandatory and not taking any command. So far everyone I have talked to agrees that unit leaders are not mandatory, but that is a small group of people.

Considering the following for a 1k tournament I am running with some friends near the end of the year. What are your thoughts?

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Pyre Rune Staff
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 

Battleline
6 x Bull Centaur Renders (360)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
The Burning Head (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000

Figure I can stick the Daemonsmith on the balewind and try to do as much damage from range as I can with it and the magma cannon, hopefully taking out some heroes. I don't know much that could stand up to Shar'tor and 6 Bull Centaurs on the charge without taking a bit of a whalloping at this points level.  Burning Head mainly because I like the mini and I think it fits the army. 

1 hour ago, alasdair said:

Considering the following for a 1k tournament I am running with some friends near the end of the year. What are your thoughts?

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Pyre Rune Staff
- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 

Battleline
6 x Bull Centaur Renders (360)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)
The Burning Head (40)

Total: 1000 / 1000

Figure I can stick the Daemonsmith on the balewind and try to do as much damage from range as I can with it and the magma cannon, hopefully taking out some heroes. I don't know much that could stand up to Shar'tor and 6 Bull Centaurs on the charge without taking a bit of a whalloping at this points level.  Burning Head mainly because I like the mini and I think it fits the army. 

I don't think it's a good idea to run a unit of 6 centaurs due to battleshock risk, and 80pts on endless spells when you have 1 wizard doesn't seem like a good idea for a 1000pt game.

• Like 1

I think with all the new Death out there, they have their place.

Fly, massive amount of attacks, 3" reach, and ignoring rend makes them great mobile hammers/ objective takers

They don't have a lot of staying power versus high volume attacks. They don't have rend (but there's something to be said for their sheer volume of attacks) .

Best that I can see them is :
 Hiding behind the lines (Taruk or Ironsworn) and just letting rip with all the chain attacks

Stealing objectives from under powered units left in the back-field. 

Hey guys!

In a few days a local tournament will start at our store and I'm stuck in between two lists (1250P.).

The first one has more fast units to catch objectives:

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque  
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel  
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives(100)
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)

Total: 1220 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 15
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 93

The second one has more firepower because of the magma cannons. I like the cannons but sometimes its a gamble if they make damage or not:

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque  
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel  
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)

Total: 1220 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 15
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 80

What do you think?

2 hours ago, Dreamfallen said:

Just curious what the general consensus of the kdaii fireborn are with there new changes. I loved the kdaii fireborn before the update but has anyone really been using them?

First game using them, I flew them out on their own, hit hard, lost one model,  and then the other two to battle shock... Next game I used them behind a screen of Ironsworn and it was absolutely beautiful, in addition to hitting hard, they've also got the great mobility with flying to help out a flank that didn't go as expected. I happily drag them along in almost all my 2k and 2.5k lists.

5 hours ago, Dreamfallen said:

Just curious what the general consensus of the kdaii fireborn are with there new changes. I loved the kdaii fireborn before the update but has anyone really been using them?

I think they're very good for their price.  The run + charge is very powerful.  I've run them in MSU and in a block of 12... the block of 12 is great for 480pts, but I only run that when I have a battalion where I can guarantee that I can survive a battleshock test if I don't get 1st turn and they get slammed.

With damned terrain, 60 attacks, 3+/4+/-/d3 with rerolling 1s to hit, 3" reach is great.  They're not going to make every save, and the D3 damage can really be nasty.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Has anyone ever used LoA in a Grand Alliance Chaos?

Seems like you don't lose out on LOADS as the Allegiance abilities are nice, but could be made up for with more diverse units?

I have not yet, but have been thinking about a generic chaos list with brayherd and LoA artillery because for some reason they cannot ally. Or adding artillery and fireglaives to pretty much anything but skaven to add some ranged capability.

7 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I have not yet, but have been thinking about a generic chaos list with brayherd and LoA artillery because for some reason they cannot ally. Or adding artillery and fireglaives to pretty much anything but skaven to add some ranged capability.

Yeah that's where I'm at too - the Chaos Bulls could be pretty fun and fluffy in the right way!

While Ironsworn are great, it would mean you can take a cheaper/ hittier battleline etc.

6 hours ago, Charlo said:

Has anyone ever used LoA in a Grand Alliance Chaos?

Seems like you don't lose out on LOADS as the Allegiance abilities are nice, but could be made up for with more diverse units?

I did in the last edition (haha).

But in all seriousness, I'd think that taking GA: Chaos would work well for hordes of cheap infantry with Crown of Conquest mitigating battleshock, supported by War Engines and Magma Cannons.