AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I suppose so. I did have them considered in a list but I liked the idea of the mortar instead.. Looking at what you're saying, I can see how they're better over a mortar. I run two WLC's in a Skryre list of mine and it does wonders, they also get focused fairly quickly after they get to shoot 3 times from the enginecoven+shooting phase. 

You're probably right though... Last thing I was is to be "that guy that brings 3 magma cannons". If I want to be friendly though I usually play my Eshin list. Thanks for convincing me again, hopefully the dual battalion setup works well, though I do still like the idea of K'daai, the amount of shooting + centaurs probably makes them irrelevant. 

5 hours ago, Blackspine said:

I don't think the D.S. is trash. 
it falls into that category of "two or more, or nothing at all"

Right, but mathematically 3 for 360pts will do much less to a horde than 2 magma cannons for 280pts will.  When you have to hit units of 5+ models, they're going to be contesting objectives, and the 36" range is unnecessary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gwendar said:

I suppose so. I did have them considered in a list but I liked the idea of the mortar instead.. Looking at what you're saying, I can see how they're better over a mortar. I run two WLC's in a Skryre list of mine and it does wonders, they also get focused fairly quickly after they get to shoot 3 times from the enginecoven+shooting phase. 

You're probably right though... Last thing I was is to be "that guy that brings 3 magma cannons". If I want to be friendly though I usually play my Eshin list. Thanks for convincing me again, hopefully the dual battalion setup works well, though I do still like the idea of K'daai, the amount of shooting + centaurs probably makes them irrelevant. 

I gladly take 3 Magma Cannons.  Sure, it's extremely strong, but I bust that list out only when I'm getting ready for a tournament or competing in one.

1 hour ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I gladly take 3 Magma Cannons.  Sure, it's extremely strong, but I bust that list out only when I'm getting ready for a tournament or competing in one.

Ah I see what you mean. I dunno, I may proxy a warp lightning cannon as a deathshrieker a few times to get a feel. I know which of the local players are competitive and which are not, so I tailor lists accordingly. Local tournaments are a different story and I like to bring the best lists possible to see how they fare. 

I definitely try to make sure everyone knows that "I'm just trying something.. Sorry ahead of time". Like when I brought gautfyre skorch to test and wiped the floor against all 3 opponents. I felt dirty. 

On 7/25/2018 at 2:52 PM, Lobeau said:

I use him as a distraction, flying him up one flank and using his spells to draw focus away from my other flank. He is a bit weak defensively, but his amulet is good for a chance to ignore damage. If he's overwhelmed, its worth retreating and keeping him alive to use his two spells and two unbinds. Also his command ability that negates battle shock in a 24" radius covers a lot of ground, so if its late in a game sometimes its good to pull him back the the center of the table and use him for just his spell unbinds and command ability.

Welcome to the group!

His own damage is weak but amulet ohh dear sometimes it does wonders. Last victims cesestant prime and lord on stardrake.

• Like 1

After some sage advice here , (gotta admit when I'm wrong...or at least test out ideas) I've come up with the following list. 

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

Leaders
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)  (waiting on their arrival)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

The idea is an objective holding force with huge threats to the enemy.

Would start out hauling the Magmas forward, running the ironsworn out to form a line in front of them. Theoretically, the two units of fireglaives could grab objectives and still contribute by shooting. They're not easy to move, and act as a real threat. 

Acting as hammers / mobile threats are the :
Taruk
Sharty.
Draz'
Skull Cracker.
Iron Demon.

With ash storm and mortal wounds from Draz's aura and sharty, they can grind away.
Magmas will just do their thing behind a wall of Ironsworn. If I see the opportunity, I'll run the chaos-squats to contest an objective. 

Some things I wanted to fit:
Castellan, could drop the Iron Demon for him, but unsure how that trade works out. Could be disgusting with the Skull Cracker/ Fireglaives.

Open to thoughts. 

Todays 2x1000 pair turnament. My second in AoS, my Idoneth player had his first three aos game.

Lost 2-17 against Nurgle and SCE

Won 20-0 against SCE and Death

Won 13-6 against Nurgle and Seraphons

4rth out of 10. We lost 3rd place in last turn of 3rd game by teleporting Seraphons.

24 minutes ago, Entombet said:

We lost 3rd place in last turn of 3rd game by teleporting Seraphons.

Wonderful isn't it? I lost a tournament a couple of months ago due to 20 skinks picking up an objective and running away from all my slow stormfiends the rest of the game. I partially blame myself for not targeting them more (chose to take out all his heroes instead w/ gautfyre skorch) but still.

What did you use for 1k?

On 7/27/2018 at 3:53 PM, Blackspine said:

After some sage advice here , (gotta admit when I'm wrong...or at least test out ideas) I've come up with the following list. 

Leaders
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)  (waiting on their arrival)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 127

The idea is an objective holding force with huge threats to the enemy.

Would start out hauling the Magmas forward, running the ironsworn out to form a line in front of them. Theoretically, the two units of fireglaives could grab objectives and still contribute by shooting. They're not easy to move, and act as a real threat. 

Acting as hammers / mobile threats are the :
Taruk
Sharty.
Draz'
Skull Cracker.
Iron Demon.

With ash storm and mortal wounds from Draz's aura and sharty, they can grind away.
Magmas will just do their thing behind a wall of Ironsworn. If I see the opportunity, I'll run the chaos-squats to contest an objective. 

Some things I wanted to fit:
Castellan, could drop the Iron Demon for him, but unsure how that trade works out. Could be disgusting with the Skull Cracker/ Fireglaives.

Open to thoughts. 

Shar'tor seems a little superfluous, but if you like it, try it out, it looks like a solid list.

Only problem is you only get 1 artifact.

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal
  • Like 1

I am working on a tournament list, what do you guys think of this one.

1    Bull Centaur Taur'uk, General, Grotesque, Gryph-feather Charm    160
1    Bull Centaur Taur'uk, Armour of Bazherak the Cruel    160
1    Daemonsmith    100
30    Infernal Guard Ironsworn    240
10    Infernal Guard Fireglaives    100
1    Magma Cannon    140
1    Magma Cannon    140
1    Magma Cannon    140
1    Magma Cannon    140
1    Iron Daemon    180
1    Iron Daemon    180
-    Artillery Train    120

I get minus 2 to hit my general and I have 5+ ward save  on the other Tauruk and hopfully they will be ok in the missions where you need heroes with artifacts of power to cap objectives.

I am thinking of using the trains and the formation to push two magma cannons so they have 34* threat range to snipe important heroes like bloodsecrators etc.. if the opponent gives me the first turn.

I like fireglaves but I think I need 30 Ironsworn to screen the army or push them up the middle in some missions.

The third and fourth magma cannon I am not completly sure on. Maybe just one of them and 3 fireborn are better. It maybe skip both and get another Daemonsmitt and 3 Bull Centaurs. Sould I go full on gunline or do you think I need some small combat unit to push up a flank and threathen objectives (or are my two trains enough for this purpose).

What do you guys think? How would you improve the list? Do you think it will work?

Edited by Andreas

Hi Guys, 

I'm a bit late to this thread seeing as the previous one started as my own army blog!  

I'm torn between playing Legion and Daughters at the mo.  Morathi is so cool its hard to not go there.  

I'm loving the new Legion updates though and will too be trying out the Execution Herd list.  I also fancy playing large units of Fireborn backed by endless spells to buff them.  

Thanks for posting all your lists.  some inspiring stuff in here.

• Like 1

Hey all - currently looking to get into AoS with 2.0 making it a much better game from what I can see.

Always had an interest in the "rare and unique" appeal of FW armies and Chaos Dwarves are no different - plus a combo of Magic, Shooting, Artillery, Blocks of Armour, Monsters and F I R E is pretty amazing!

With the army list being a little limited, is anyone using allies? What would you take? Both fluffy and powerful welcome!

So far I've figured of using Hellcannons as Skull-Cannons (I own a couple) with Khone Juggers being good for pushing the "Bull" theme. Any other ideas?

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 9:04 AM, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Shar'tor seems a little superfluous, but if you like it, try it out, it looks like a solid list.

Only problem is you only get 1 artifact.

Ahhh, yeah. I've been writing too many lists with a battalion. I'd probably go with the Chalice to gunk up the works for the other casters.

Sharty is a beast, his gaze/smite brings a nice free source of mortal wounds. That and he takes pressure off of Draz and the Skull Cracker. I tend to write lists that have overlapping/ back up plans. That way when one gets wiped from the table, you're still able to function. It's worked well so far, but we'll see with the legion.

19 hours ago, Ben said:

Hi Guys, 

I'm a bit late to this thread seeing as the previous one started as my own army blog!  

I'm torn between playing Legion and Daughters at the mo.  Morathi is so cool its hard to not go there.  

I'm loving the new Legion updates though and will too be trying out the Execution Herd list.  I also fancy playing large units of Fireborn backed by endless spells to buff them.  

Revisit the Legion.  Stronger than they previously were, imo.  The addition of the Blackshard Armor, revamped Ash Storm, and Fireball are game changers.

20 hours ago, Ben said:

Hi Guys, 

I'd of course pull for sticking with the Legion, it's been nice to have a strong advocate for our Army and providing exposure on these forums, at tournaments, and with GW as a whole. Besides the DoK are new and shiny, and who knows if or when the Leigon will get visited again by Forgeworld? What's one more year with the loveable Chaos Dwarves? Best of luck with whatever you decide.

~Lobeau

Just now, Unit1126PLL said:

Oh man. I want a Chaos Dwarves army now but FW is soooo expensive. Worst part is I love their sculpts - the firepikes especially look kick butt.

They can be expensive, but are absolutely worth it. Just save up some $ and dive in when you're ready. Its a fun army to collect, paint and play!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lobeau said:

They can be expensive, but are absolutely worth it. Just save up some $ and dive in when you're ready. Its a fun army to collect, paint and play!

My theoretical Chaos Dwarf list would be heavily technology-based. I'm thinking of taking mostly Infernal Guard Fireglaives, Magma Cannons, Iron Daemons, and Mortars, with Daemonsmiths and Castellans as the Leaders. I could probably convince myself to bring some Infernal Guard Ironsworn as well, but not really as the backbone; mostly as a mobile wall, if anything. Then some mortars, perhaps? Really missing the Hellcannon honestly.

Would this sort of "evil technology" army do well? Or are the Dawi Zharr lacking too many tools without the centaurs, Draz, and the K'daai?

15 minutes ago, Unit1126PLL said:

My theoretical Chaos Dwarf list would be heavily technology-based. I'm thinking of taking mostly Infernal Guard Fireglaives, Magma Cannons, Iron Daemons, and Mortars, with Daemonsmiths and Castellans as the Leaders. I could probably convince myself to bring some Infernal Guard Ironsworn as well, but not really as the backbone; mostly as a mobile wall, if anything. Then some mortars, perhaps? Really missing the Hellcannon honestly.

Would this sort of "evil technology" army do well? Or are the Dawi Zharr lacking too many tools without the centaurs, Draz, and the K'daai?

I've toyed around with this list before our update, but it was fun:

- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon