AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

Magic is heavy this edition, I figured one to babysit the artillery on a balewind and another as just a generic wizard wherever its needed, unless those 100 points could be better spent elsewhere. So far I've found that I really need the unbind rolls.

Good point. 

If you're running Ironsworn, then the new mystic-shield is even better. Re-rolling ones to toss back mortals? Oh yes please.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can see it being great for them. Unfortunately I'm way too into the idea of a fast moving elite army with some artillery than any units of ironsworn. That's why I've been debating dropping the K'daai for a few units to screen the artillery but unsure if it's worth it. I imagine the artillery will get focused down regardless and the K'daai seem very good with the run+charge to hit the flanks of squishy heros and shooting units. While the centaurs barrel through the front. 

13 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

Yeah, I can see it being great for them. Unfortunately I'm way too into the idea of a fast moving elite army with some artillery than any units of ironsworn. That's why I've been debating dropping the K'daai for a few units to screen the artillery but unsure if it's worth it. I imagine the artillery will get focused down regardless and the K'daai seem very good with the run+charge to hit the flanks of squishy heros and shooting units. While the centaurs barrel through the front. 

Remember that our seige artillery gets a +1 to our save rolls against shooting attacks. So as long as it's an army that can't deepstrike or has really fast units you'll probably be alright taking some ranged  focus fire if its placed right.

Edited by Lobeau

19 hours ago, Lobeau said:

Remember that our seige artillery gets a +1 to our save rolls against shooting attacks. So as long as it's an army that can't deepstrike or has really fast units you'll probably be alright taking some ranged  focus fire if its placed right.

And disregards the first wound in shooting phases. Extending its life a lot longer.

If someone spends a large point investment to take out two death shriekers, thats fine. There's only so many turns in a game, and if 240 points can keep 240+ points busy, fair trade. 

On 7/19/2018 at 4:33 AM, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

is going to make them cry.

I never cry... and I loved my K‘Daii punching stupid Tzangors

As a death player I can confirm maximum grief when seeing my heros die, and my heart rejoiced as my mortar bombed a gaunt summoner.

and always whip that ogor 

Edited by Honk
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Honk said:

my mortar bombed a gaunt summoner.

Even as a primarly chaos player, hitting that overly abused ****** on a balewind makes me smile. 

and always whip that ogor 

That's the Chaos dwarf version of "Dance as if Nobody's watching"

"Shoot like your Fireglaives roll 6's
Charge like your hooves get d3,

And always Whip that Ogor."

-Basic Chaos Dwarf mantra

Edited by Blackspine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Thoughts on this list?

Thinking to add more of the artillery, but running the Execution Herd seems so tempting since you can switch targets after you dispatch the initial unit. 

I could drop Draz but he seems like amazing bait. Does my opponent attack the Herd? Do they attack Draz? I feel like that’s a good dilemma. 

Maybe drop the artillery all together for some Endless Spells and keep the Smith and Draz to drop spells? 

E1CC56E5-557A-403A-8B19-5FBE6F4CD487.png

52D82B61-E327-48BF-8701-57DC90F79BCC.png

Edited by eekamouse

9 hours ago, eekamouse said:

Thoughts on this list?

Thinking to add more of the artillery, but running the Execution Herd seems so tempting since you can switch targets after you dispatch the initial unit. 

I could drop Draz but he seems like amazing bait. Does my opponent attack the Herd? Do they attack Draz? I feel like that’s a good dilemma. 

Maybe drop the artillery all together for some Endless Spells and keep the Smith and Draz to drop spells? 

E1CC56E5-557A-403A-8B19-5FBE6F4CD487.png

52D82B61-E327-48BF-8701-57DC90F79BCC.png

Deathshrieker is junk for the most part, imo.  Also, you have melee taken care of, why take the Ironsworn?  If anything, I'd take an Iron Daemon, drop some Fireglaives and take a Magma Cannon or two.  I'd take something along these lines:

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
- General
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
6 x Bull Centaur Renders (360)
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Execution Herd (160)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

EDIT:  You want your Taur'ruk to survive, so definitely take the Armour on him, as it'll extend his lifespan.  Shar'tor is going to be one of their priority targets... everyone seemed to focus him down over Drazhoath every time I've run the herd... fortunately he benefits from Look Out Sir (despite his large size, he is not a MONSTER).

Edited by Black_Fortress_Immortal
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

I'm an italian player! this is my first post in this forum!

I have just a question: Second you,what is the best way to play Drazhoath?! 320 points are expensive for his rules second me...but I'm probably wrong!

Any suggestion to use this model?! 13 wounds are ok but.... Save 4+?!?!?! mmmm....

Thank you so much! :)

1 minute ago, Jaco Pastorius said:

Hi Guys,

I'm an italian player! this is my first post in this forum!

I have just a question: Second you,what is the best way to play Drazhoath?! 320 points are expensive for his rules second me...but I'm probably wrong!

Any suggestion to use this model?! 13 wounds are ok but.... Save 4+?!?!?! mmmm....

Thank you so much! :)

I use him as a distraction, flying him up one flank and using his spells to draw focus away from my other flank. He is a bit weak defensively, but his amulet is good for a chance to ignore damage. If he's overwhelmed, its worth retreating and keeping him alive to use his two spells and two unbinds. Also his command ability that negates battle shock in a 24" radius covers a lot of ground, so if its late in a game sometimes its good to pull him back the the center of the table and use him for just his spell unbinds and command ability.

Welcome to the group!

So, for further theory rafting since I've nothing better to do at work. I've modified my K'daai list a bit for a double a battalion list, which of course removes the K'daai for more shooting. 

Shar'tor

Taur'ruk 

Daemonsmith

3x3 Renders

2 Magma Cannons

1 Mortar

1 iron Daemon

Execution Herd

Artillery Train

60 points of endless spells.. Which I thought maybe balewind + maelstrom for its unbind.

Gimmicky? Probably, but still competitive possibly? Maybe it would work easier in a list with a Blackshard Warhost and 80 ironsworn/Fireglaives? On paper I still debate the mortar.. I try to compare to poisoned wind mortars but it's cost is difficult to justify, but it being able to sit on the table edge and lob shooting across the whole table sounds fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gwendar said:

So, for further theory rafting since I've nothing better to do at work. I've modified my K'daai list a bit for a double a battalion list, which of course removes the K'daai for more shooting. 

Shar'tor

Taur'ruk 

Daemonsmith

3x3 Renders

2 Magma Cannons

1 Mortar

1 iron Daemon

Execution Herd

Artillery Train

60 points of endless spells.. Which I thought maybe balewind + maelstrom for its unbind.

Gimmicky? Probably, but still competitive possibly? Maybe it would work easier in a list with a Blackshard Warhost and 80 ironsworn/Fireglaives? On paper I still debate the mortar.. I try to compare to poisoned wind mortars but it's cost is difficult to justify, but it being able to sit on the table edge and lob shooting across the whole table sounds fun. 

I did not try it yet,

but I've got one List in mind that is nearly exactly the same, I just thought of a second Iron Daemon instead of the Mortar.  1 for each Magma to get in good position (having the 24 inch range here all time as long your daemonsmith is alive is great help)

I also already thought of Chronomantic Cogs for the  endless spell so that this "fast" chaos dwarf army can become super fast (+2 Move, +2 Charge) :D 

So its automatically + 3 for your bulls on the charge - with 3 starting command points and shator it should be realy hard to fail  a charge. 

But yes the downside of this army is just one spell  / unbind 

Edited by Charly2912

30 minutes ago, Charly2912 said:

I did not try it yet,

but I've got one List in mind that is nearly exactly the same, I just thought of a second Iron Daemon instead of the Mortar.  1 for each Magma to get in good position (having the 24 inch range here all time as long your daemonsmith is alive is great help)

I also already thought of Chronomantic Cogs for the  endless spell so that this "fast" chaos dwarf army can become super fast (+2 Move, +2 Charge) :D 

So its automatically + 3 for your bulls on the charge - with 2 starting command points it should be realy hard to fail  a charge

But yes the downside of this army is just one spell  / unbind 

I did that initially too, but the battalion requires 3 warmachines on top of an Iron Daemon and since only the one Daemonsmith counts toward the benefit of Infernal engineers for the battalion.. Meh. I am big on having two for the sake of two unbinds, however if my IJ can get away with not needing unbinds, this army probably can too I imagine. Edit: oh I must have read wrong. I thought you said Daemonsmiths, not Iron daemons. I just really love that mortar, I don't know that I would want two iron daemons but this is all me looking at everything on paper for now. 

A esthetically I just really enjoy the mortar and what it can potentially do, but it could be better to just have three cannons and a BW + cogs... Or a second Daemonsmith. 

I don't know, someone sell me on/talk me out of the mortar and it's shelling capabilities vs another cannon. I've given up hope on the deathshrieker. 

Edited by Gwendar

I love the mortar, its one of my favorite models in the entire line, but also the most expensive in monetary terms.

In gameplay I've found it to be rather underwhelming with the previous rules, and especially the 2.0 updated rules. Its expensive points wise, has too few attacks (1-2) which tend to get saved, and then the damage is just too random to make it really worth it. If you get the hit off, make the wound, defeat their save roll... Then hit a 1 on the D6 its rather annoying to say the least. And with it no longer restricting the unit from running it loses one of its redeeming qualities in its long range.

In a competitive sense, the magma cannon wins out, but on the other hand bringing a list of 3-4 magma cannons to a friendly game at your LFGS is pretty cheap. I mostly play these friendly games, and enjoy having options from all across the range and still field the mortar and D.S Rocket to mix it up. Besides having all the models gives you a protective barrier if FW decides one day that the magma cannons are OP, or buffs the other models before they go out of production. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

I think that's the issue, I'd rather have 2 cannons for 40 more points. The more I look at it the more I enjoy the idea of the mortar, but in practice it probably isn't worth it over a 3rd cannon, even for transportation sake. 

Why not both?

The way I see the Shriekers is that they're our real long range option. They're not home-runs by any stretch, but over the course of the game, they'll put a lot of pressure on people. Plus, the magma cannons will draw ALL the heat. 

Magmas are amazing. Those mortal wounds add up, fast. Scary fast. 
but their range leaves something to be desired. 

Between Magmas (short), Fireglaives (medium) and Shriekers (long), we've got a full list. Get into combat in the middle, and everything can focus. 

Plus, anything more than 2 magma cannons is really pushing your sports/ comp limits.