AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Here is the new thread for discussing Legion Of Azgorh. With the imminent release of AoS 2 (and a lot of the info already being out there), now is the time for us to start afresh on TGA.

Moving forward, this will be the main thread to chat about and discuss Legion Of Azgorh in the new edition. I still wholly encourage people to keep their own threads/army blogs within this sub forum and I also think those are a great place to share some photos as I know not everyone frequents the Painting & Modelling section. But this thread is purely for discussion around the faction, things such as (but not limited to) tactics and list building etc. You all know the drill, we've been doing it on this forum since inception!

For newer players, I would say the older thread could still be worth perusal and whilst it is now locked for further replies, you can find it here - http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/1983-legion-of-azgorh-mega-thread/

Really excited to see what we can come up with as a community and I look forward to reading all your ideas and thoughts.

• Chris Tomlin changed the title to AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

I have a big block of 30 old school big hat chaos dwarves  I want to rebase, re-paint and use in AoS. In total I can field:

1 x Castellan

1 x Daemonsmith

30 x Infernal Guard

1 x Rocket Launcher 

I’m coming back to the game - relatively new to AoS. I’d be interested to know people’s opinions on this as a component of a mixed Chaos allegiance list.

My thought is that it works as an anvil of sorts. 

Thus adding something offensive and killy like Gore Pilgrims (I have some khorne bloodbound units that I could paint to a similar theme).

Also given that summoning is making a comeback, more K’daii might be an idea.

I don’t particularly like the FW K’daii models - would paint up some fiery spirit hosts as an alternative.

Sound mad? How would you add to that selection?

Edited by tamthethird

The concept is good but I would recommend a battalion other than Gore Pilgrims since you will be severely limiting the daemonsmith's magic and since you don't get the extra khorne prayers the slaughtpriest bluffs are less useful. Depending on what models you have you could do dark feast or bloodforged if you want a battalion. 

• Like 1

I have worked om this project on and off for such a long time but other projects has allways come in the way. But AOS2 has really got me excited again to finish painting a playable 2000pt LoA list.

Kopia av IMG_20171009_221859.jpg

Kopia av IMG_20171025_225034.jpg

Edited by Andreas
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, tamthethird said:

How would you add to that selection?

Personally, I would add Iron Daemons towing Magma Cannons.

But you should maybe also wait and see what the new scenarios are like in GHB3 before committing big bucks or modelling time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Roark said:

Personally, I would add Iron Daemons towing Magma Cannons.

But you should maybe also wait and see what the new scenarios are like in GHB3 before committing big bucks or modelling time.

I'd always recommend an Iron Daemon in just about every list.  A 24" threat range with -2 rend and a 3+ save is too valuable to ignore.  

• Like 3

Anyone have a 2.0 wishlist?  I'll start ;) :

+ Free K'daai summoning
+ Points decrease on battalions
+ New battalion for Bull Centaurs
+ Points decrease on Shar'tor to 200
+ Drazhoath Command Ability (is he the only named hero WITHOUT a command ability?.... aside from Scylla and Valkia...)

Hm, that's about it.  I know we're not getting new allegiance/spell lore/artifacts, so I'm not even gonna put it on there... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

+ Free K'daai summoning
+ Drazhoath Command Ability (is he the only named hero WITHOUT a command ability?.... aside from Scylla and Valkia...)

Hm, that's about it.  I know we're not getting new allegiance/spell lore/artifacts, so I'm not even gonna put it on there... 

+ The Battle Standard Bearer is pretty mediocre for my money (the new Stormcast foot mage is better in combat lol)

+ Both the existing battalions are quite worthless, and these warscrolls didn't get reviewed last year like all our other stuff. It would be very nice to have useable, effective battalions.

+ For 180pts, I don't think it would break the game for Bulls to have movement 8. Seems like a bit of a "#@*$ you" that they are slower than some Aelven foot units.

+ Allegiance ability, traits, artifacts. This is like a few sentences, an army rule or two, and two small tables. Maybe I'm naive, but FW may pleasantly surprise us (they did last year!). I imagine they want people to buy their minis as part of a supported army...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

+ Free K'daai summoning
+ Drazhoath Command Ability

Those points are exactly what I'm thinking. On the other hand, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for FW to throw us a bone basically like a number of factions received in the GHB 17 (2-pager with artifacts, command traits and allegiance abilities).

On battalions, I've always wondered why the "Bull centaur execution herd" wasn't a battalion - considering you can buy the Blackshard Warhost and there is an associated battalion...

I'm not sure how things will turn out for summonable K'daai though. Unfortunately, I think we won't get a summoning mechanic but rather the K'daai scroll will be updated to make them no longer summonable. Much like GW are doing with Brayherds/Bray Shaman, rather than give them a summoning mechanic they just changed the spell to make it no longer feasible.

On the other hand, if the scroll doesn't change then I assume that with summoning no longer costing points we would revert to simply using the warscroll as is? I would like a simple 7+ cast to summon a unit of K'daai :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

+ Free K'daai summoning

4+ ghost save on kdaai and summonable.

Command ability on draz and little more killy.

Usable mortar stats.

Decent battalions.

Edited by Entombet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

+ Free K'daai summoning

I'd love a half decent summoning mechanic, an improvement to Drazhoath, and a point reduction on battalions. I'd also quite like fireglaives to have their double attack on monsters back. +1 to wound doesn't seem to have quite the same impact 

• Like 1

Points drop on everything with a spite shield since the Mystic Shield change and all the warmachines with the change to the shooting phase.

Not my army but I'd love for my buddy to get a simple two page allegiance treatment for his army from FW.

Anyone have any suggestions for a summoning mechanic? Tying it to warmachines firing/wounding seems like it could be functional.

9 hours ago, Rumblefish said:

Points drop on everything with a spite shield since the Mystic Shield change and all the warmachines with the change to the shooting phase.

Not my army but I'd love for my buddy to get a simple two page allegiance treatment for his army from FW.

Anyone have any suggestions for a summoning mechanic? Tying it to warmachines firing/wounding seems like it could be functional.

I'd like it if it was tied to Daemonsmith/Drazhoath "channeling," or having points destroyed fueling the power for their spells as "sacrifices."

25 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

On a side note, from having seen stacking Command Abilities, Endless Spells, Tzeentch, and the Portal... I think that the game may be ruined for us in a week's time.  Was fun playing with you all.  There may be 6000pts of Chaos Dwarfs for sale on eBay pretty soon.

Not a fan of the general direction or because of something specific you think we're lacking? I'm hoping FW will patch some of the holes our end, but with them it's always a gamble! 

1 hour ago, Tooooon said:

Question- Can we take a Hellcannon as an Ally? They don't appear on the app

It's part of Warrior of Chaos compendium army back in 2016, the first General Handbook.

Unfortunatly Compendium are no longer supported by GW... but nothing stop you from having agreement with your friends to play with... If my memory is correct, i think it was 300pts

10 hours ago, mattbarker said:

Not a fan of the general direction or because of something specific you think we're lacking? I'm hoping FW will patch some of the holes our end, but with them it's always a gamble! 

A bunch of reasons:

-Endless spells.  Extremely strong in many cases (Tzeentch with Umbral Spellportal and Fate Dice, Chronomantic Cogs) undercosted for what they do and how they affect the battlefield.  Caster-heavy armies with a focus on Endless Spells will create combos and be able to destroy heroes/enemy wizards.  Sure there's 30" unbind range, but you just need your initial Umbral Spellportal to be cast from your backline, safely out of range and use the further one 18" up as your focal point.

-Command Ability stacking.  This is almost as bad - not all Command Abilities are created equal... those that allow extra activations of a unit(s) are worth more than the 50pts or battalion tax.  Lord Ordinators chain-activating Helstorm Rockets or Ballistae with a +1 to hit are going to be the new "meta," as is stacking bonus hits on Death units that you can restore if they die anyways.

I understand we're getting warscroll updates, but there needs to be a SIGNIFICANT overhaul, since the meta has shifted to Command Abilities and Endless Spells.  Daemonsmiths should be able to have the artillery fire out of shooting phase for points, or some other mechanic to keep up, because as it stands, we will get wiped off the board against other armies utilizing the combos that already exist.  I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about from playing this army so much for so long, but it's the overall shift of the meta.

And yes, I've played AoS 2.0 games.