AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

9 hours ago, Vomikron said:

Event only Daemonsmith you say?

in the off chance they ever became a legit army I would like it if they nixed the head horns and went a little more Mesopotamian. Not as cartoonish as the original models but something a bit more exotic.

I must apologise, the event only daemonsmith was the older warhammer fantasy battle offering - the AoS daemonsmith is a warhammer world only model as I understand: complete with big hat.

CbpTQ3RWEAARgSk.jpg:large

19 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I painted mine black and white, and they are subtly being influenced towards complete nihilism and anarchy by an allied Sorcerer Lord of Malal.  Definitely from Aqshy though, ash is black, until it's more burned, then it's white.

Sounds awesome. Would you mind sharing some pictures of your army? 😉

41 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Will do this weekend.  Gotta get them prepped for a big 2-day tournament in a couple weeks.  

Looks like Azgorh took 2nd place at an Australian tournament on October 5th.  Was happy to see that!

Oh really? Which tournament was it?

Do you know the list that was run in this event?

Managed to dig out the list from the BBBB (Bendigos Bush Bash Bonanza):

Leaders
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk(160)
-General
-Trait: Grotesque
-Artefact: Armour of Bazherakthe Cruel
Daemonsmith(100)
-DarkforgedWeapon
The Contorted Epitome (200)
-Allies
Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives(300)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives(100)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives(100)
Units
12 x K'DaaiFireborn(480)
War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
SkullcrackerWar Engine (200)
Endless Spells / Terrain
SoulscreamBridge (80)

• Like 1

Wow, the Contorted Epitome is a super good ally!  Way better than the Tzaangor Shaman with Wildfire Taurus for making enemies strike last.  The reroll hits of 1 power is good too.  I'm wondering if I should switch out a Skullcracker for that thing, except I really really hate the model.

Also I just saw that Nurglings can set up in enemy territory if there is enough cover more than 9" away from enemy models.  Also intriguing allies for a slow poke duardin army.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Wow, the Contorted Epitome is a super good ally!  Way better than the Tzaangor Shaman with Wildfire Taurus for making enemies strike last.  The reroll hits of 1 power is good too.  I'm wondering if I should switch out a Skullcracker for that thing, except I really really hate the model.

Also I just saw that Nurglings can set up in enemy territory if there is enough cover more than 9" away from enemy models.  Also intriguing allies for a slow poke duardin army.

Yeah the epitome is very nice in its abilities but just like you I hate the model. The design just doesn't seem to fit and match out aesthetics very well. So there's no way I will be playing it. I converted the old lammasu model to be a chaos sorcerer on "steed" as an ally. Seems to match the style and the spell/ability is also pretty decent ;)

You're right, if the model is not to one's liking, one shouldn't be playing it!  Let alone spending money on it.  

I used my Lammasu as my Drazhoath, but makes a great Sorcerer on Manticore too.

I'm finalizing my army list for this year's last big event, and am going full tilt war machine, but can't decide if I should take the Suffocating Gravetide to fill out the remaining 20 points, or if I should keep it at 1980 to perhaps net a triumph in some games.  It will be a 5 game 2-day event.  Triumphs, when I remember them, can really help out sometimes.  But so can a giant moving wall.  It could theoretically block line of sight, and at least screen enemies who can't fly from moving through an area? 

I have used the Standard Bearer instead of the Castellan and he was okay too, not always super helpful.  The Castellan I think could be far more potent with the +1 to wound ability.  I could use the Standard Bearer though and get Soulsnare Shackles.

I value the battalion as it enables the Magma to snipe out hero support much faster with the extra range while being towed by the big engines, plus the relic and CP.

Daemonsmith (general: Grotesque/Ignax's Scales)

Castellan (thermalrider cloak) OR Standard Bearer (w/ cloak)

3x10 Fireglaives

Iron Daemon

3 Skullcrackers

4 Magma Cannons

Artillery Train

Gravetide? OR Shackles?  OR Triumph?

Hmm seems tough. If you want to stick to the full warmachine loadout I'd go for the Castellan (or even a second Demonsmith + a Balewind) instead of the standard bearer. You run a lot of single models as bravery won't be much of an issue :)

If you want to try a little bit something else, you could drop the castellan/standard bearer, one magma (you can only add 3 to the battallion anyway) and one skullcracker. For that you could add in a bull centaur taur'ruk (also hard hitting beast with good mobility and awesome general with the armor and grotesque), 10 more Fireglaives for more shooting- and board presence, one additional daemonsmith for a bit mor magic (lots of endless spells flying around these days...). That leaves you with 120 point that I would use for a soulscreaming bridge (think about jumping your war machines up ahead in the middel of the board and then blast away because your daemonsmith doesn't need to be in range because of the battalion :D) and a balewind (to push your magic even further out). Seems also pretty themy to me and gives you a bit more flexebilty and jumping war machines ahead with the bridge is a lot of fun ;)

Edited by B.C.D.

God I love the fact that this army is so rare, me and my close friends are talking about doing a tale of X gamers and calling it Age of Snowflakes, mainly because we all like underrepresented armies or factions we think should still exist, 2k by the middle of next year is the aim according to the dull vibrations from WhatsApp (well dull compared to the dreadquake mortar) now will everyone's favourite angry hattered dwarves get deleted or do I get some lovely fireglaives first 😏

Finally finished my Armies on Parade entry for this year.  PRAISE HASHUT.  

I wanted to build a display worthy of the Legion of Azgorh, and opted for a stacked stone ziggurat.  The army itself consists of 30 fireglaives, 9 bull renders, Taur'uk, Shar'tor, Drazoath the Ashen, Skullcracker, Iron Daemon, 2 magma cannons, 2 Dreadquake mortars, 2 Deathshrieker Rockets, 2 daemonsmiths, 1 custom chaos sorceror lord on mount, 6 k'daai, 1 k'daai destroyer, and 1 maulerfiend.  

A long labor of love, but very happy with the outcome, and look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.  

20191016_173039.jpg.f965da3d28b53e29f9c7c9dcbc86df17.jpg20191016_173058.jpg.c8cce41569414a8e23cdb1c2605f05de.jpg20191016_173103.jpg.32ec5ec624e210d7c41a900edee204f9.jpgDSC00435.JPG.ec0db60a759b1e4a90de9a5897e5906f.JPGDSC00444.JPG.36a56e3c22b56bdccd61d4704b5dcc31.JPGDSC00447.JPG.508197d8464f3504bac9d530244f6381.JPGDSC00449.JPG.1306792cda176db811376555fdf8f97c.JPGDSC00451.JPG.d4c8f4af8c76dc5f71d955f12cf972a8.JPGDSC00452.JPG.5ddb6d2caa66211ee2a4380402723f51.JPGDSC00454.JPG.1c76d16f699b55996c70c206f9ce2332.JPGDSC00458.JPG.34b14a8d36807e1e5dc09cd5232c1611.JPGDSC00459.JPG.c968c8e915900b309e86091ac06e419b.JPGDSC00460.JPG.70ae1a79fd4a02891423d5aad4694359.JPGDSC00463.JPG.84234253f8288dcc0b2855395a61443e.JPGDSC00465.JPG.da580c91e4fc90e6405fcd665df2c190.JPGDSC00467.JPG.39aae295877f089b982f84b5f44c0a12.JPG

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

On 10/20/2019 at 5:48 AM, B.C.D. said:

Holy bananas!! They look awesome and the display is siiiick :D

How did you do on parade day? Did you win with them??

Thank you for the feedback.  The Dawi Zhar brought home a medal.  It was a fun day; and I am so happy to have a permanent display for my favorite army.  

• Thanks 1

I am inspired by this ziggurat!  You did a really cool job with the different levels, and daemon caverns, and endless tunnels.  I also appreciate the color scheme that matches the Dingo cereal box :D  The flame effects really pop next to that purple.

Is that Maulerfiend a K'daai Destroyer proxy?  Definitely seems like Azgorh should have a mechanical bull monster thing.

I saw another Chaos Dwarf in the Warcry Spire Tyrants.  Rise of the shortpants!

First day of Dragon Fall in Elmhurst, IL, USA.  3 games done, 3 major losses for Azgorh's Pain Train, v2.0.  You can see my garage full of war machines there with my super hot magma cauldron and other terrain pieces we had to bring.  First game was Starfall vs big Waaagh Orruks.  Mawkrusha moved and charged something like 36" turn 1, and the gore-gruntas too.  Wow those are fast now!  Took me too long to finish those off with my groggy army.  They must not have slept well.  I couldn't push forward enough to get to more objectives and alas, took the major loss.  But got my hidden agenda of Slay....eventually.  Prevented his though!

2nd game was Better Part of Valor I think? vs Living Cities of Sigmar.   It was the one where sudden death happens if you score all 4 objectives after the 3rd round starts.  He had units in the 'clouds', like a big dread Dragon and a Durthu tree.  They got right behind me, which I was okay with as I figured I could take them out if they got to me sooner than later.  And I did....but then a crapload of tiny aelves swarmed me also from those back corners to outnumber and thus the major loss.  And I couldn't get Attrition for my hidden agenda done either because it ended too soon.

3rd game I didn't photograph, because Flesh Eater Courts are boring to look at!  That was the 6 objective one where you burn them to score points, different values for how many turns you've controlled them.  We both burned what we could turn 2, she got 5 to my 4, and turn 3 priority roll sealed my loss as her Terrgorgheist was fast and able to get the last objective, then burn it before I could get to it.  But I did manage to get my hidden agenda of Ancient Heirlooms to keep my precious Thermalrider Cloak Castellan alive.  

So maybe I'll get to play a really hopeless army tomorrow and win 1, or 2!  Gotta not deploy stupid like game 2, and remember my rerolling 1s to hit with non-moving Fireglaives.  But still, fun army to use.  More to come....

IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8679.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG

Thanks for the writeup man :) Amazing looking force. I really love the conversions with the old models. So nice to see them on the table :) My favourite picutre is the fearless dwarf in front of that giant maw krusha. He just doesn't care and looks him straight in the eye saying "Even if I die, someday you'll be our slave too, you big giant cabbage looking dragon looser." :D

Do you think you would have done better with more bodies on the board? But I would guess that your opponent's face expression must have been very funny, when they saw you rocking up with these many warmachines ;) Anything that you think you could improve with the list? Or is a warmachine heavy just too hard to play in the current meta?

Looking forward to more of your reports. Keep up the great work and thanks for fielding our glorious army! Praise Hashut!

Edited by B.C.D.

Thank you very much!  It was a bunch of fun to build and use.   The first game I just tanked some dice rolls turn 1.  I've taken out Mawkrushas before with relative ease but the dice were cold and tired in the morning.  I could have taken him I think except for the swinginess of random Magma and Skullcracker attacks.

The second game I lost because of poor deployment and moving away from the objectives at all.  Shoulda played for the draw, killed everything that he outflanked on me, then hoped for a fast push forward in the last 2 or 3 turns.

Not sure how to deal with FEC and those 2 Terrorgheists.  They are deathdealers, super fast, super tough.  Guess I should have had the same tactics, playing for the draw and hoping to push forward.

Lost against Stormcast mainly because of Escalation (not good mission for a bunch of behemoths and artillery!) and also I have so many drops with this army.  He went first and ran up on the objectives to score them early.  

Many drops hurts bad sometimes.  I think more bodies is definitely good, but also we need more speed and flight, thus K'daai are a good unit to have.  Some allied wizardry too.  Gotta keep practicing!

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Thank you very much!  It was a bunch of fun to build and use.   The first game I just tanked some dice rolls turn 1.  I've taken out Mawkrushas before with relative ease but the dice were cold and tired in the morning.  I could have taken him I think except for the swinginess of random Magma and Skullcracker attacks.

The second game I lost because of poor deployment and moving away from the objectives at all.  Shoulda played for the draw, killed everything that he outflanked on me, then hoped for a fast push forward in the last 2 or 3 turns.

Not sure how to deal with FEC and those 2 Terrorgheists.  They are deathdealers, super fast, super tough.  Guess I should have had the same tactics, playing for the draw and hoping to push forward.

Lost against Stormcast mainly because of Escalation (not good mission for a bunch of behemoths and artillery!) and also I have so many drops with this army.  He went first and ran up on the objectives to score them early.  

Many drops hurts bad sometimes.  I think more bodies is definitely good, but also we need more speed and flight, thus K'daai are a good unit to have.  Some allied wizardry too.  Gotta keep practicing!

Sounds like you are taking the right lessons from your losses. Def ally in a Chaos Sorcerer Lord (or two) to buff those K'daai.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I am inspired by this ziggurat!  You did a really cool job with the different levels, and daemon caverns, and endless tunnels.  I also appreciate the color scheme that matches the Dingo cereal box :D  The flame effects really pop next to that purple.

Is that Maulerfiend a K'daai Destroyer proxy?  Definitely seems like Azgorh should have a mechanical bull monster thing.

I saw another Chaos Dwarf in the Warcry Spire Tyrants.  Rise of the shortpants!

Thanks for the feedback!  I managed to take home a few awards and a medal.  The maulerfiend is actually one of two that I have, I was using them as a proxy for the skullcracker.  I have one real skullcracker and when the mold broke, my heart broke, as I wanted to run the infamous 3x skullcracker list.  So he is a proxy for that list.  Thanks again!  Sounds like your meta at the tournament was pretty hard.  FEC, Cities, are very powerful right now.  Thanks for the write up, and I look forward to hearing more!