AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

12 hours ago, eekamouse said:

They have some agency…

Well, they can have the agency I whipped into them and then some!!!

„providers of questionable firepower“ are mentioned quite a lot, I guess my wallet needs to be prepared.
6 months 🧐

does anyone dare to gamble with their hope and sanity?

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2021 at 6:22 PM, Greybeard86 said:

Is the copy right protection worth the silly names, though? 3rd party legit minis who want to copy them get away with it anyway. And we end up with names that are sound like a bad joke.

Whats so stupid about The Hatty McBighats? Hmm

• Haha 2

On 6/14/2021 at 9:13 PM, Honk said:

Well, they can have the agency I whipped into them and then some!!!

„providers of questionable firepower“ are mentioned quite a lot, I guess my wallet needs to be prepared.
6 months 🧐

does anyone dare to gamble with their hope and sanity?

I do not want to hate on a release that is exciting for all chorf fans.

However, if they simply squat the FW models released with AoS, I still believe we should pause before buying the new stuff.

A big part of the hobby, for a lot of people, is the game and the support in the lore / models / rest that comes with being "game legal". GW invalidating models worth hundreds of dollars within years of release simply to make room for new models is frankly very anti-consumer.

24 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

However, if they simply squat the FW models released with AoS, I still believe we should pause before buying the new stuff.

A big part of the hobby, for a lot of people, is the game and the support in the lore / models / rest that comes with being "game legal". GW invalidating models worth hundreds of dollars within years of release simply to make room for new models is frankly very anti-consumer.

I'll be using my FW models alongside whatever new ones come out. A couple of years ago, I actually played against someone using the old 4th (or whatever) edition models as Azgorh in a tournament. Why wouldn't one be allowed to use the Forgeworld models in a similar way? They're GW models. They got their money.

Unless they completely redo the line and get rid of blunderbusses and centaurs etc... which ya... then that will suck. They'll get more money if they add on to the line. If they come out with something completely new invalidating an entire line... then they won't get more of my money for that line. 

Edited by eekamouse
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, eekamouse said:

I'll be using my FW models alongside whatever new ones come out. A couple of years ago, I actually played against someone using the old 4th (or whatever) edition models as Azgorh in a tournament. Why wouldn't one be allowed to use the Forgeworld models in a similar way? They're GW models. They got their money.

Because they do that, sometimes.

21 minutes ago, eekamouse said:

Unless they completely redo the line and get rid of blunderbusses and centaurs etc... which ya... then that will suck. They'll get more money if they add on to the line. If they come out with something completely new invalidating an entire line... then they won't get more of my money for that line. 

All I am saying is this. I thought that legending new sculpts was a very ugly move.

40 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

This is the internet, please release your hate, like the roar of a thousand deathshrieker rockets fired at a puppy encampment 😈🚀🚀🚀🐶🐰😈

the sad truth is, they mention our chorfs but do nothing, so well whatever… nobody in my community will deny me a game with my legion and they don’t care about the one 3rd party unit and the other proxy dwarf one.

But the real problem might arise, when GDubs reimagins Chaos-Duardin and release (naked angry dwarves 😖) and maybe weapons or model size might become an issue…

and I heard about 40k necron and tyranid Players that weren‘t allowed to use their beloved kits from the 90s, just because TO was stuck up about it. Base size model height was adjusted, just pure b-hurt.

I could understand people hesitant, when I field my 3“ Nagash or hide away the old school tremor cannon.

so I Hope/pray for official points in ghb21 and I‘m pretty open for a reimagined „big guns never tire duardin“ faction…

and as seen with my Death Legion, they still sell pretty good, even if everybody should have enough skellis, proxy and converted bloodknights 

50 minutes ago, Kaulder said:

So... are we still an official army now ? Even in legends ?

I can't find anything on it and I'm starting to worry...

Looks like it’s back to how it was in 7th edition. We technically still have a list ( like we had Ravening Hordes) in the form of the Legions of Azgorh compendium, so we can play. But we don’t have support and likely won’t be allowed in most tournaments.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, PJetski said:

I did not suggest that it was or was not a problem; I asked why they consider it to be a problem. 

Should counterplay be easier and more reliable than the strategies they are countering? Would the game be better if unbinding and dispelling was as easy - or even easier - than casting the spells? Would it be more fun?

People are talking about Unleash Hell like the only unit in the game is Lumineth Sentinels.

Those are good questions.

For me, the answer is that the difficulty (and scope for counterplay) of a move should be in direct relation to its impact. Otherwise, players can feel powerless while the opponent decimates you and the game becomes more about alpha striking and trading units.

The problem with unleash hell is that it is very devastating and supremely easy to execute, yet there is little counterplay.

Shooting in AoS is a leading cause of NPE because: i) not all armies have good shooting, ii) there is little to no terrain to hide, iii) double turn, iv) sniping is too good and too easy, v) shooting bows into combat / at combat engaged units is counterintuitive to common wargaming.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

The problem with unleash hell is that it is very devastating and supremely easy to execute, yet there is little counterplay.

The FEC threat confirms, that 20 chaos marauders might not get into combat with 6 Flayers… (Roll 2d6-bravery= MWs scream per model 😱)

10 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

players can feel powerless while the opponent decimates

QfT +1000 

and one of the most fundamental problems in all games, especially cross-compared to player abilities and faction tier…

played an undead horde against Kroak on vortex and starpriest… all was kinda ok, but my necromancer couldn’t get his magic buffs off, cause kroak said „nope“ and my skeleton and zombiehordes got crushed by „roll for each model, mw on 5+“ then some character sniping comet spells from orbit…

you drive an hour, set up the game and after 15 seconds of glancing over his list, you’ll know you’re outmatched.

I did the same in a 1k game, Azgorh vs tzeentch, small table, brought a Death shrieker launcher and the quake mortar, his heroes were dead in round two…

but I fear, that there is no real solution, because back in the days of old flesh eater court, we were crying, moaning and loosing… then along came iirc Ben Souza placing 5th in a big event 

some lists are pretty tough to deal with on beginner - advanced level, because they are straightforward, but don’t really score on the waac-cutthroat level. Like old frosthorn lists: Run forward, throw snowballs, charge and crush things… easy win

not sure if they ever won or top 5 in any big event.

The armies are too divers and there are too many aspects/phases that matter to really balance the game for EVERY 2k list, against every 2k enemy. Not even considering skill levels or battleplans.

I think with all the extra rules and objectives, the rules have become unwieldy for new players, even more things to consider and more details to manage, although it opens up a lot of potential maneuvers, that lets you compete against a stronger list, if you are the stronger player and/OR get a favorable battleplan.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Kaulder said:

Well, with the new (august) FAQ, LoA joins the legends crew... 😥

At least we had some point adjustements !

Also some minor adjustments rules wise. The banner bearer is intersting and we have some 3+ armour natively. We did lose bouncing mortals on 6s though, as well as a couple other decent rules.

Edited by Qrow
read rules wrong, banner bearer still meh sadly

1 minute ago, Honk said:

Spiteshields for the win!!! 
the infernal guards have them 😈

Seems to be that spiteshields have given them a 3+ in the update instead of the mortal wounds, but that's not a terrible trade-off with large units becoming less common

6 hours ago, Honk said:

Spiteshields for the win!!! 
the infernal guards have them 😈

Oh of course! Been so long since I played a game I’ve forgotten!! 

Also lost burning skies and blackshard armour. So basically no abilities at all. Can’t see mine making it to the table again now after this 😭

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, mattbarker said:

Can’t see mine making it to the table again now after this 😭

Yeah, just rummaging through the rules…

what a big cluster-Fuuuuuuuu 🤬

-spite shields gone (would have been great with all out defense)

-rockets no longer fire indirectly 

- the banner… not feeling it (rr1w vs once per game 5+ MW aura) maybe against hordes

- castellan fight ability sounds stupid vs +1 to wound

- Drazy CA got nerfed

magma cannon costs more, just to add insult to injury 

Why, they could have just left the rules instead of forcing some trainee to write a last „goodbye we hate you“ letter…

a run up is not a foreplay, you … 🤬🤬🤬

6 hours ago, Honk said:

Why, they could have just left the rules instead of forcing some trainee to write a last „goodbye we hate you“ letter…

Yup. Why bother writing the blackshard armour rule in a universally understandable manner when you can instead give a big f you and just outright remove it 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Confused 1