AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Nagash42 said:

Hobgobs talk abut helping the kruleboys trade with their dark masters.

Grimdark live say that chaos dwarves are coming (though probably not called that i'm hoping Furnace kings)

So rejoice as they have been 100% right so far. 

Is it in their latest video? Just want to check before I commit to watching the whole thing? :)

-edit-

Yep. Found it.

Edited by eekamouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I managed to get a few of the latest bull centaur sculpts (executioner herd), but curios to see how GW reinvents them. I just wish they didn’t legend such expensive things so easily.

As for the new release, I’d like  them to focus a lot on the industrial part, with magic and mutations secundara themes. I always thought chorfs where a sort of criticism of unrestrained industrialism.

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:
  • Furnaceflame Emberkings
  • Hashutnar Furnacethanes
  • Hashutardin Zarrlords

Something equally dumb as the above at any rate.

Well they just call them furnace kings in the lore or just chaos aligned duardin. 

46 minutes ago, Nagash42 said:

Well they just call them furnace kings in the lore or just chaos aligned duardin. 

I'd expect a Noun-noun Noun-noun name because they want you to Google it and only see Games Workshop-associated results, whilst 'Furnace Kings' might risk producing something else/in addition to that.

Plus Furnace Kings just refers to one specific group of Chaos Dawi in Aqshy.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

Is the copy right protection worth the silly names, though? 3rd party legit minis who want to copy them get away with it anyway. And we end up with names that are sound like a bad joke.

It's not about copyright - although I'm sure they'd love if it was - so much as brand awareness. If you type Dwarf Warrior onto Google you risk Lil Timmy seeing D&D, Warcraft, so on and what's worse, he may even find links to other companies who make miniatures of Dwarves!!!

However if Lil Timmy types in Duardin Longbeards, or even just Duardin, he's almost guaranteed to see nothing but Games Workshop/AoS associated results and remains safely within the GW eco-bubble, his impressionable mind at no risk of being tainted by such things as knowing other companies make miniatures.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 3

Well if they do come out with Chaos Duardin for real, like plastic GW kits instead FW, I may have to sell off half my other armies to pay for a new army then.  Because I already sold my Azgorh army to pay for my new armies a while back.  Circle of life.....

I expect some solid artillery if this pans out!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Well if they do come out with Chaos Duardin for real, like plastic GW kits instead FW, I may have to sell off half my other armies to pay for a new army then.  Because I already sold my Azgorh army to pay for my new armies a while back.  Circle of life.....

I’m already planning selling my Maggotkin, Ironjawz, and a Chaos Knight just to pick up the Dominion box, if/when the new Chaos Dwarfs drop I’m getting rid of my Kharadron barring Bugmansson and Gotrek.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 2:24 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

I already told my fiancée that every extra dollar is going towards pur honeymoon fund, and I won't buy anymore models this year... But I did clarify a few months back that its null and void only if chaos dwarves come out 😃

• Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Lobeau said:

that its null and void only if chaos dwarves come out

That is a classic phrase in marriage settlements all over the world...

and GDubs can stormy stormboi them with their Wulfen wolfclaws, but I call a Chaosdwarf „stumpy of death“ and care not for the name of the IP protected rocket that blasts my foes.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 9:45 PM, Lobeau said:

I already told my fiancée that every extra dollar is going towards pur honeymoon fund, and I won't buy anymore models this year... But I did clarify a few months back that its null and void only if chaos dwarves come out 😃

Classic blunder! Considering the name changes in AoS, 'short, possibly bearded fantasy creatures aligned with GA: Chaos' would have been the safe bet - now she can claim that the upcoming Chorfs aren't t e c h n i c a l l y 'chaos dwarfs', but duardin aligned with Chaos! I recommend lawyering up or you might have to go to a wonderful honeymoon with your partner rather than sit huddled painting duardin. The horror!

• Haha 3

• Subscriber

I'm happy we are now getting new Hobgoblins(grots). They were really the only missing unit from the LoA range and I can remember FW saying it wasn't worth making sculpts in resin as they'd be too expensive for effectively a chaff unit. 

I will be painting/basing the Hobgrots from the Dominion box to match my existing LoA units, keeping the rest of the Kruleboyz to go with my Ironjawz. 

Just need some Hobgrots on wolves now and a Khan Hero and I can finally complete the LoA list!

I think the consensus among baseless speculation seems to be that LoA/Furnace Kings would be a subfaction to StD.. How would you feel about that? Honestly, my first thought was 'Oh wow now I can fit that gorgeous Be'lakor mini in the army and don't have to run them as GA: Chaos', but I'm a casual and my lizard brain is slave to base instincts like gushing over beautiful models rather than utility.

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I think the consensus among baseless speculation seems to be that LoA/Furnace Kings would be a subfaction to StD.. How would you feel about that? Honestly, my first thought was 'Oh wow now I can fit that gorgeous Be'lakor mini in the army and don't have to run them as GA: Chaos', but I'm a casual and my lizard brain is slave to base instincts like gushing over beautiful models rather than utility.

Depends on two things IMO: how good the models&rules are, and if the lore justifies this decision.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:36 PM, Public Universal Duardin said:

I don't see it. I think it's mostly just hysteria over the theorised souping of Dwarf 'Tomes and Kruelboyz presumably falling under Warclans, so people have this weird idea that everything going forward must therefore be in some kind of soup dish.

Slaves to Darkness have a lot of ancient models that're in dire need of an upgrade - multi-part Warriors, Marauders, non-manlet mounted Lords, etc. With the Start Collecting having already sowed the seeds of those updated kits coming, it would be very weird to me if they did Chaos Dwarfs instead.

The Hobgoblin 'implications' would suggest the Chaos Dwarfs are their own, independent power rather than tied to the hip of Archaon's forces.

Kruelboyz are still Orcs, so them being slotted in as part of an Orc 'Tome makes sense. By contrast, the Chaos Dwarfs are... Dwarfs, not Humans and whilst there's the odd War Cry model (a whopping two) it's still 99.9% a human faction. 

I don't see anyone suggesting Beastmen or Skaven could or should be soup'ed into Slaves to Darkness.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

7 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I don't see it. I think it's mostly just hysteria over the theorised souping of Dwarf 'Tomes and Kruelboyz presumably falling under Warclans, so people have this weird idea that everything going forward must therefore be in some kind of soup dish.

Slaves to Darkness have a lot of ancient models that're in dire need of an upgrade - multi-part Warriors, Marauders, non-manlet mounted Lords, etc. With the Start Collecting having already sowed the seeds of those updated kits coming, it would be very weird to me if they did Chaos Dwarfs instead.

The Hobgoblin 'implications' would suggest the Chaos Dwarfs are their own, independent power rather than tied to the hip of Archaon's forces.

Kruelboyz are still Orcs, so them being slotted in as part of an Orc 'Tome makes sense. By contrast, the Chaos Dwarfs are... Dwarfs, not Humans and whilst there's the odd War Cry model (a whopping two) it's still 99.9% a human faction. 

I don't see anyone suggesting Beastmen or Skaven could or should be soup'ed into Slaves to Darkness.

I do think we are at the absolute upper level of amount of armies that can be supported at any given time. Already there's people who feel (rightfully) that their chosen army hasn't gotten an update or hasn't received enough miniatures - souping 'fixes' that. I don't think every army will be a soup tome - I think Lumineth will one day rival SCE in amount of units as we haven't seen Tyrion yet - but I think most new armies will be soup tomes or expansions to existing ones. Malerion is undoubtedly going to join DOK. In that sense Duardin (and to an extent, LoA/Furnace Kings/Chorfs) will be the canary in the coal mine.

I do think you make some great points, but I just feel GW is going to return to the idea of smaller expansions (think Fyreslayers range) but souped together to make it seem like larger, coherent armies. There will undoubtedly be some exceptions, especially if we do see some current armies souped together. But whether Chorfs are one such exception, that I wouldn't dare to bet on yet.

57 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I do think we are at the absolute upper level of amount of armies that can be supported at any given time. Already there's people who feel (rightfully) that their chosen army hasn't gotten an update or hasn't received enough miniatures - souping 'fixes' that. I don't think every army will be a soup tome - I think Lumineth will one day rival SCE in amount of units as we haven't seen Tyrion yet - but I think most new armies will be soup tomes or expansions to existing ones. Malerion is undoubtedly going to join DOK. In that sense Duardin (and to an extent, LoA/Furnace Kings/Chorfs) will be the canary in the coal mine.

I do think you make some great points, but I just feel GW is going to return to the idea of smaller expansions (think Fyreslayers range) but souped together to make it seem like larger, coherent armies. There will undoubtedly be some exceptions, especially if we do see some current armies souped together. But whether Chorfs are one such exception, that I wouldn't dare to bet on yet.

At the end of the day GW care more about how much an army would sell more than if the range is getting congested. If they think Chaos Dwarfs will sell well as a standalone army, they'll sell it as a standalone army - even if Chaos had the same number of armies as Order currently has. 

Everything would have to be made from scratch for a Chaos Dwarf army and the Lumineth weren't an allegiance in Cities of Sigmar despite there being High Elf leftovers in Cities of Sigmar. Chorfs don't have anything 'to' soup with StD after the Hellcannon was squat'ed, Also, every army that's been soup'ed thus far has consisted almost entirely of leftover WHFB models - the only except being Ironjawz, themselves an extension of the Black Orc kit anyway.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

On 6/8/2021 at 3:41 PM, Public Universal Duardin said:

We really aren't. There's no reason why one faction can get 3 (or more) updates while another faction gets nothing.

On 6/8/2021 at 10:41 PM, Public Universal Duardin said:

But whether Chorfs are one such exception, that I wouldn't dare to bet on yet.

They are the exception, they are special,

they will rise again and 

THEY WILL BLOW EVERYTHING UP!!!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1