AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

8 hours ago, Grdaat said:

Not really, Magma Cannons work and that's mostly it. The rules are so outdated you're pretty much guaranteed to lose against most of the armies in the game, and I'd recommend you ask your opponent for a handicap.

That sounds...not fun :/  But yeah, concidering it is a legacy army i shouldn't wonder

This is kind of an in memoriam as I’m just waiting for my last three LoA units to sell.

But I did want to pay tribute to what was a very fun army while it lasted and a great army to teach people to play AoS with.

We ran an Execution Herd centric list, backed up by Magma Cannon, Daemonsmiths & K’daii.  At one point we’d tried the whole Hashut with different artillery pieces but really only the Magma Cannon was worth the points.  Kept the Iron Daemon around to haul the Magma Cannon sometimes but where it really came into its own was when we started using ally points to bring in Khorne units, typically either Skarbrand or Mazarall, which added another piece your opponent had to think about.   But with the Execution Herd’s mobility, the K’daii’s utility and some artillery back up it was a lot of fun on the table.

And it had just enough of each element of the game to be almost ideal for teaching new players.  Blackshard Armor also typically meant pieces hung around for long enough for them to get a feel for the game.  Didn’t wrack up a ton of wins but came through enough that it kept people interested.  Still disappointed the player in our group who was going to bring it to the local tournament had to drop out due to work and thus it never got outside our circle.

Highlight was a two game narrative against Khorne last year.

With it being discontinued though and trying to keep my AoS moves “budget neutral” as sad as I am to see it go it pays for my Sons of Behemat which hopefully will be just as much fun.

• Sad 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 3/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, Charleston said:

I concider to build a proxy/conversation heavy army of chaos dwarfs.

With outdated rules, which weren’t particularly strong to begin with, I respect your dedication and true dwarven stubbornness.

I love my rocket launchers to snipe enemy heroes and the overall style of them stumpies. But when bringing them to the table, I announce that for my opponent to be prepared for an extra friendly game.
Same for try hard lists...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/20/warhammer-preview-online-faith-damnation/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=WHTV&utm_content=whtvpreviewonline19032021&fbclid=IwAR0qUg8Lg5Tt-JPCejolSAUEJ8maWjmnuaePPaXsdyJImYeoCy_l9dUyWhY

while fanboying over my new soulblight army, I was mentally a bit unstable at times, but...

300333C3-63B6-4FA4-9C26-F4753A74B035.jpeg
I recognize a Bull Centaure when he tramples me...

Do I dare hope against all reason?

Edited by Honk

• 3 weeks later...

I have my old metal Astragoth who was my Standard Bearer, and 3 of the Hellcannon crew remaining.  They have located the ancient forge where mechanical Colossi were built. 

The Skaven have already begun building their megagargant construct, and a Bray Shaman had a vision of a Cygor empowered by daemonic armored exosuit. 

What bits come to mind when making a megagargant dedicated to Hashut, piloted or steered by Astragoth and his crew?  My initial thoughts were a big clockwork robot type of thing.  But now I'm thinking  a huge mechanical bull-centaur is the way to go.  Can't think of the leg or body bits though.  Stardrake legs?  But then I'd need hooves.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 10:51 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

What bits come to mind

Lost kingdom miniatures comes to mind...😅 

might resculpt a gargant, but a nice big oxen head 🧐

just went fully bonkers, ordered a fdm printer and will built the ziggurat terrain 

🥃🥳👍

GDubs ain’t stopping me from fielding the Legion

• Like 1

Yeah I think either Stonehorn, Thundertusk, or even Ironblaster tusks/horns would work for the mighty head, which I would also make the rock-thrower (like spitting balls of magma).  I got ahold of some Maulerfiend arms, those should be big enough.  And also a Soul Grinder chassis (using the legs for my Cygor exo-suit Megagargant).   Saw an old He-Man Stridor....those legs might work, or at least the hooves.  Can't justify getting an Exalted Bloodthirster just to mold the cool hooves :P

• Haha 1

I think against certain armies a bunch of Magma Cannons and Fireglaives with some Skullcrackers could compete.  Unless LoA is already resided to being a Legends army?  

If perhaps GW makes a united Duardin battletome someday, on par with Skaven, I could almost see a subfaction being Chaos Duardin.  But they don't like to mix Grand Alliances I guess, like that even means anything in light of recent lore.

A better solution perhaps would be Forges of Chaos or something, then they could do some extra goodness like Black Orks, hobgoblins, throw some Soul Grinders and other things like that in there.  Stuff that clearly helps out Slaves to Darkness but was not included (actually not sure if Soul Grinder is in StD...).

Well, I started my chaos dwarf army just before COVID hit us and it looks like I wont be able to play it legally in tournament ever with AoS 3 coming this summer...

But I need to finish my project anyway, I can't leave it like that 😛

Here is my current list:

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy

LEADERS
Daemonsmith (100) - Pyre Rune Staff
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General - Command Trait: Grotesque - Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel
Drazhoath the Ashen (320)

UNITS
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
6 x K'Daai Fireborn (280)

ARTILLERY
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

TOTAL: 1540/2000 WOUNDS: 95

So I need 460 points, any idea to do that ? I want to be competitive to have "fair" games with my friends playing recent battletomes. And maybe someday being able to compete in a tournament (with legend rules if we are lucky I guess).

A skullcracker could be a nice addition but prices are crazy atm...

What about allies ? I have some slaanesh deamons that I could use, but I'm not sure if there are any synergies worth taking in the new HoS book. 

If you don't want to kitbash a Skullcracker or two (I recommend an Ironblaster kit to start, but instead of a cannon add some maulerfiend arms with big blades or hammers on the hands attached to wheels like they're mechanically activated...you can always use them as Chaos Chariots too), then allies and maybe a CP makes great sense. 

Contorted Epitome used to be good, not sure what its rules are now if they're limited to Slaanesh.  

I actually favor Gutrot Spume with 5 Blightkings for the outflank and tanky disruption they provide.  2 Slaughterpriests and 2 Plague Priests can end up tossing out tons of MW which aren't missile attacks and can't be unbound.

Blue Scribes is a good one if you want to get an Endless Spell off, maybe add some Screamers for extra fast objective grabbers.

Guess I'd tailor your allies (if not 2 Skullcrackers) to what you see yourself wanting to do in the future.  Your Azgorh force can be a good Cities of Sigmar force.  Draz=Griffon General, Magma Cannons=SteamTank if you add a rifle or two, Fireglaives=Irondrakes, K'daai=Kurnoth Hunters?

I can see Contorted Epitome being really good with high mouvement and giving rerolling 1 to hit seems really strong for both fireglaives and k'daai. I like that.

Adding the epitome and a CP leaves me... 200 points. Skullcracker could be the perfect answer. Maybe a conversion with a KO boat is feasible and could be played in CoS too. I will also check iron blaster as you suggest too because why not. 

What makes Blue Scribes a good ally ? Is there any combos?

Anyway I will test on TTS the Gutrot Spume package because the teleport seems really good. I only have K'Daai to take the board atm.

Thx for your input !

• Like 1

You're welcome!  I like the Blue Scribes to auto-cast let's say, the Bridge of Screams (or whatever that big skeleton bridge spell is).  That or the Boatman.  Then a whole wad of Fireglaives could teleport and unload in someone's face for the price of 1 Fireglaive.  Scribes are also good if you wanted to wizardry besides and took another couple Tzeentch Heralds (1 foot, 1 on disc).  His CA allows Tzeentch wizards to reroll casting rolls within the CA range.  The Heralds can dish out some MW like that.

Today Drazhoath marches again...

Draz with a Smith

2x10 Ironsworn 

2x10 Fireglaives

6 Ka‘Daii

2 magmacannons

2 Rocketlaunchers

and... Skrabrand

for 1980 maybe I proxy one magmacannon depends on what my buddy fields

Power wise, draz will be leaving for another smith and 20 fireglaives, but... 😓 not in the foreseeable future

• 2 weeks later...

@Honk Did you win ? Skrabrand seems fun but maybe too easy to kill

So with the rumors strongly inting towards a new hobgoblins army, do you think we can hope something for LoA in the future ? 

There is also a rumor of an "united duardin" book. I want to believe ...

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kaulder said:

Skrabrand seems fun but maybe too easy to kill

Skarbrand was fun, of course 14hp with 4+ only goes so far... 8“ 😅

sadly I lost against the stupid dispossessed, my target priority was kinda bad and his melee hammeres just wrecked my lines...

my kdaii died to his always strikes first black dragon lord, skarbrand demolished 20 phoenix guards but died with them.

hurricanum sniped my magmacannons and his 30 hammeres charged (some +3“ movement city thing) they moved 14“ first round and were in my face second round leaving me done for.

sometimes I‘m sceptical about his faction rules but 🤷🏿‍♀️ Innocent till proven otherwise.

the 30 blob were crazy fast and my fireglaives didn’t do enough damage to do anything relevant.

draz probably needs to go for a second Smith and twenty more glaives or more 10men speedbumps

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit surprised that the coyness and hobgoblins went completely silent in the only chaos duardin/Legion of Azgorh thread on whole forum.

So, what are you thinking? Anyone excited? In despair? I probably wouldn't expect Legion of Azgorh minis but something new, but at least you can use your collections as 'counts-as' when that time comes, right?

Just now, Public Universal Duardin said:

I'm a bit surprised that the coyness and hobgoblins went completely silent in the only chaos duardin/Legion of Azgorh thread on whole forum.

So, what are you thinking? Anyone excited? In despair? I probably wouldn't expect Legion of Azgorh minis but something new, but at least you can use your collections as 'counts-as' when that time comes, right?

I was completely thrown for a spin with those hob gobbos and their crude grenades tbh. Now I’m just hoping that chaos duardin(possibly called The Furnace Kings if GW’s not-so-subtle hints these past few years are correct) come as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I don't want to get my hopes up.