AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 3/8/2020 at 9:28 PM, Latty said:

This threads been slow lately but I want to float a few list ideas for an upcoming tournament past anyone who is browsing. I wanted to pick a theme and roll with it for each one. Feedback appreciated.

Firebornspam.pdf 5.73 MB · 4 downloads Artillerytrain.pdf 5.73 MB · 2 downloads Executionherd.pdf 5.73 MB · 3 downloads

I’ve heard only good things about masses of fireborn but I’d be wary of two max units as even though they ignore rend their saves aren’t very good.  They get lots of attacks but again not super good attacks.   Though with a Castellan doing his thing could be better!

im always a fan of the magma train but love to see the renders trample things!  I vote for that.   Speedy and tough and hit hard.  Good to take that skullcracker and cannon though.  Keeps ppl on their toes.  

Hey all, thinking about dropping 340$ on 

20 Fireglaives

1 Bull Centaur T

2x Magma Cannons

I already have a Limited edition FW 2016 Demonsmith on the way. 

Does this seem like a reasonable list?

If anyone has any models they'd like off their shelves PM me. 

1 hour ago, GoatChoker said:

Hey all, thinking about dropping 340$ on 

20 Fireglaives

1 Bull Centaur T

2x Magma Cannons

I already have a Limited edition FW 2016 Demonsmith on the way. 

Does this seem like a reasonable list?

If anyone has any models they'd like off their shelves PM me. 

Sounds reasonable, though maybe you replace half the fireglaives with ironsworn?

So I had a thought about LoA and realm rules; say you play a game in Aqshy and roll the burning skies realmscape, how would that interact with the burning skies that we have as a battle trait? Would ours overrule the realm rules? Would Draz'hoath and K'daai be subject to the rule? Would they stack, making the opponent take the roll twice? Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Latty said:

So I had a thought about LoA and realm rules; say you play a game in Aqshy and roll the burning skies realmscape, how would that interact with the burning skies that we have as a battle trait? Would ours overrule the realm rules? Would Draz'hoath and K'daai be subject to the rule? Would they stack, making the opponent take the roll twice? Thoughts?

The same rule doesn't stack, so it would still only apply once.

11 hours ago, Latty said:

This exact situation happened to me at a local RTT about two months back. The way we ended up playing it was that all units were affected (for example my K'daai) and my opponent would only roll once. 

The thinking being that you can't be affected by the same rule twice, he was affected by my allegiance ability (or even the realm rule...  result would be the same), while I was affected by the generic realm rule which we rolled as part of the tournament.

Working solution I think which makes sense 'logically' if not necessarily 'thematically' for the army.

16 hours ago, paera said:

Hello,

so about to clean and start painting my 20+ year collection of big hats. Bit unsure about how to base them; I know its round for AoS but would it be impossible to play AoS with square ones?

You are correct - AoS is generally on rounds, however, I can't think of anyone who would really mind playing an opponent who uses square bases (they were very common when AoS started) - particularly in casual games. 

I know that large competitive events generally won't accept square bases anymore, but you should still be completely fine for a lot of your local FLGS events.

Hope that helps!

Just now, paera said:

Cheers! On the contrary; would i ever regret putting them on round ones?

Yes, there's quite a few people who still play Fantasy and putting them on round bases would make that game much harder to play. AoS on the other hand isn't bothered by square bases, and this is the reason I stick to squares.

Edited by Grdaat

15 minutes ago, Grdaat said:

Yes, there's quite a few people who still play Fantasy and putting them on round bases would make that game much harder to play. AoS on the other hand isn't bothered by square bases, and this is the reason I stick to squares.

Not arguing, just don’t forget that there are very good movement trays (non GW unfortunately) designed to be used for round bases that allows for unit formations aka Fantasy. Makes the regiments look really good and let’s you use round bases if you want.

3 minutes ago, NJohansson said:

Not arguing, just don’t forget that there are very good movement trays (non GW unfortunately) designed to be used for round bases that allows for unit formations aka Fantasy. Makes the regiments look really good and let’s you use round bases if you want.

They do bloat up the unit sizes by a considerable amount, which messes with all three templates and gives you a substantial disadvantage in close combat.

11 hours ago, Grdaat said:

They do bloat up the unit sizes by a considerable amount, which messes with all three templates and gives you a substantial disadvantage in close combat.

Depending on which manufacturer/unit. Don’t have any of my own at hand - but something along these lines usually works very good (IMHO):

image.png.79d5ea51d5e24b649b2e2de79aa67164.png

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

Leaders
Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Command Trait: Grotesque
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
The Blue Scribes (120)
- Allies

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (300)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)

Units
1 x Skullcracker War Engine (200)
32 x Iron Golems (280)

Artillery
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Soulscream Bridge (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 120 / 400
Wounds: 146

Opinions on how this looks competitively?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJohansson said:

Depending on which manufacturer/unit. Don’t have any of my own at hand - but something along these lines usually works very good (IMHO):

image.png.79d5ea51d5e24b649b2e2de79aa67164.png

Like I said, they mess with the templates, and if we assume you're using 25mm round bases against 20mm square bases, a front rank of 5 would be have contact with 8 square base models. If you're playing 8th edition and horde them up then not only would it be very wide, but 6 models in your unit would not be able to attack at all, giving you 24 attacks (assuming you have one attack per model) compared to the 30 the opponent will get.

This only gets worse as you go up in base size.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 5:04 PM, erasercrumbs said:

I really, really want to buy more Azgorh, but I'm paranoid that GW is always five minutes away from casting them out entirely.

the answer is simple, convert other factions to look like Chaos Dwarfs, that way if GW gets rid of Azgorh you can still play your army.