AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I was thinking of replacing his with the CSL on Manticore -- great anti-horde spell, can fly, decently tanky, and can cast Oracular on self.

Still, losing Daemonic is really going to hurt. Anyone know any other allied wizards we can add for a quick buff?

I fear our army is getting binned next GHB.

Edited by Televiper11

53 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

I was thinking of replacing his with the CSL on Manticore -- great anti-horde spell, can fly, decently tanky, and can cast Oracular on self.

Still, losing Daemonic is really going to hurt. Anyone know any other allied wizards we can add for a quick buff?

I fear our army is getting binned next GHB.

YeH, I'm currently searching for a good allied wizard too. With all the new updates they're really stripping all the keywordless stuff out. Maybe some new unannounced StD unit will fill the role partially. I quite liked Sayl the faithless, but his teleport spell got hit with the only StD units hammer when we got out first update! 

I wouldn't worry about being binned off. Was a huge step being put into the ghb this time so feels wasted effort to just pull them out again! 

I think the best allied things for Azgorh will be ones that debuff the enemies, like Festus the Leechlord.  Just not seeing a great shining future for Azgorh however.  I'm wondering if I should even unload my other AoS Forgeworld units for my Gloomspite Gitz.  If FW isn't going to support AoS at all in the future then it might be unwise to have any from them.

6 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I think the best allied things for Azgorh will be ones that debuff the enemies, like Festus the Leechlord.  Just not seeing a great shining future for Azgorh however.  I'm wondering if I should even unload my other AoS Forgeworld units for my Gloomspite Gitz.  If FW isn't going to support AoS at all in the future then it might be unwise to have any from them.

Given the pace that GW release things, for the past few years there hasn't been a whole bunch of "new" from FW comparatively aside from that ludicrous khorne dragon. I know it's not their main game so that's fair enough and I've noticed a few things are slipping from the site too. But really, all that's changed here is a spell for a single unit that we used as an ally anyways. A damn good one, but it's hardly a prophecy of doom for us 

I love my legion, have about 2000 points of core units and can throw in bubbles of many different allies for different purposes so hopefully there are many more fun games to be had - given that if everything else keeps getting buffed as we don't it'll be an uphill battle, but hey what's new there! 

32 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Taking any good allies suggestions.

Some of my favourites... 

Block of plaguebearers with festus / spoilpox scrivenver to objective holding + stickiness 

Tzanngor shaman + skyfires for mobility and grabbing 

Chimera - for funnies 

Swarm of furies - for funnies 

Skarr bloodwrath / skullgrinder - randomness 

19 minutes ago, FERRUMITE said:

Hey @Ben given you are good buddies with GW, any chance you can put a bug in their ear about maybe adding some synergies with Legion of Azgorh and Slaves to Darkness? I'd love if you could take units from both without paying the ally tax ahah

LoA could/should have some Mercenary Units available for any Chaos I would think. 

But, yes they should have some Slaves to Darkness tie. Just finished the Warcry Anthology and reading Scourge of Fate now and they are mentioned in both.

Would you say this is a fair list for a first time with the army? I'm not looking for something overpowered but something that will be able to hold its own against armies like Nighthaunt and Legions of Nagash in semi-casual/semi-competitive play.

It's a perfect 2000/2000 list.

Leaders

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk w/ Grotesque and Armour of Bazherak the Cruel

Daemonsmith w/ Darkforged Weapon

Battleline

Infernal Guard Fireglaives (30)

Artillery

Magma Cannon

Magma Cannon

Other

K'daaai Fireborn (12)

Endless Spell

Soulscream Bridge

6 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

I'm leaning Be'lakor

What's he rumored to be doing in his new rules?  I always liked him and what he could do but thought it was a few too many points.

I'm definitely getting a psychic cat!  I hope those are only like 140-160 points.

13 minutes ago, LeopoldKamirov said:

Would you say this is a fair list for a first time with the army? I'm not looking for something overpowered but something that will be able to hold its own against armies like Nighthaunt and Legions of Nagash in semi-casual/semi-competitive play.

It's a perfect 2000/2000 list.

Leaders

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk w/ Grotesque and Armour of Bazherak the Cruel

Daemonsmith w/ Darkforged Weapon

Battleline

Artillery

Magma Cannon

Magma Cannon

Other

K'daaai Fireborn (12)

Endless Spell

Soulscream Bridge

Ooh, that's a bunch of Fireglaives!  They'll certainly be able to prevent Nighthaunts from deepstriking from the Underworld if you position right.  Protect the cannons as they'll be your main hope of nuking those pesky support heroes, whithout whom they fold pretty quickly in my experience.

Not sure about what Legions of Nagash do besides having a bunch of skeletons who maybe can be resummoned?  Nagash is nasty though, I've not beaten him yet.

Have you considered getting a pet cat, and bitsbashing a pet Skullcracker?

19 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

What's he rumored to be doing in his new rules?  I always liked him and what he could do but thought it was a few too many points.

I'm definitely getting a psychic cat!  I hope those are only like 140-160 points.

Ooh, that's a bunch of Fireglaives!  They'll certainly be able to prevent Nighthaunts from deepstriking from the Underworld if you position right.  Protect the cannons as they'll be your main hope of nuking those pesky support heroes, whithout whom they fold pretty quickly in my experience.

Not sure about what Legions of Nagash do besides having a bunch of skeletons who maybe can be resummoned?  Nagash is nasty though, I've not beaten him yet.

Have you considered getting a pet cat, and bitsbashing a pet Skullcracker?

I've asked a couple people and they kept saying to get more Fireglaives but nothing concrete about building the list. This would be my first AoS army so I'm not sure what's standard.  I know the leaders and K'daai are popular choices but other than that it's up in the air. A skullcracker looks fun but I think I will hold off on kitbashing for the game yet.

15 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos_Belakor_eng.pdf

To my mind, Be'lakor flying in a triangular wedge formation with a unit of K'daai could wreck hell on an opponent's back field or be a serious objective grabber (leaving the K'daai behind if need be); as well, The Dark Master ability can counter a lot of those activation war shenanigans and I like the Enfeeble spell. 

I'm playing a friendly, beer-and-pretzels style 2.5K Open Play game in January against my friend's Khorne army. Here is my list, including Be'lakor:

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Sorcerer (120)
- Allies
Be'Lakor, Chaos Daemon Prince (280)
- Allies
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
6 x K'Daai Fireborn (280)
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Execution Herd (160)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2500 
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 126

My plan is basically having two attack wedges: the Centaur charge and the Be'lakor/K'daai fly with Sorcerer on the Balewind and the Daemonsmith babysitting the artillery (Thermalrider allowing Smith to fly around and buff different artillery units if necessary). I'll be low on bodies so relying on the  Magma's to snipe heroes and reduce hordes. 

Edited by Televiper11

8 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

I'm playing a friendly, beer-and-pretzels style 2.5K Open Play game in January against my friend's Khorne army. Here is my list, including Be'lakor:

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
Sorcerer (120)
- Allies
Be'Lakor, Chaos Daemon Prince (280)
- Allies
6 x K'Daai Fireborn (280)
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Execution Herd (160)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2500 
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 126

My plan is basically having two attack wedges: the Centaur charge and the Be'lakor/K'daai fly with Sorcerer on the Balewind and the Daemonsmith babysitting the artillery (Thermalrider allowing Smith to fly around and buff different artillery units if necessary). I'll be low on bodies so relying on the  Magma's to snipe heroes and reduce hordes. 

Dump that puny sorcerer and take the Artillery Train!  Then you won't have to have your Daemonsmith nearby to max out their range.  Actually you won't need the Balewind either, his Ash Storm is 36".  I didn't realize Belakor was 280 points!  I hope he comes down a bunch in the new StD tome.  Then you could fit in another hero to use your third artefact if you get the second battalion, which is very useful.

But I've been hankering to try this type of Azgorh force.  In a really big game it would be cool to use all 3 battalions!

2 hours ago, LeopoldKamirov said:

What about you all, what's your typical list like?

I favor magma cannons in the Artillery Train, with 3 or 4 units of 10 Fireglaives for battleline, then with Skullcracker Engines to hammer forth, maybe a Tauruk as general but not absolutely necessary.  Castellan and Standard Bearer are pretty decent support dudes.

20 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

No news is good news I guess?

At least Tamurkhan could easily be a Karkadrak lord, unless he's too huge (haven't seen in real life).  I wish I still had my plague toads and nurglings.  Those are good Azgorh allies.

At least they seem to be an army that can still be transferred to other roles like Cities of Sigmar of the worst happens.