AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I always get greedy and throw Drazhoath into too dangerous of enemies.  He does need to be a sneaky git and hit the weak points.  Between him, the K'daai, and the Skullcrackers, that's some decent speed and sometimes I can get into enemy zones with them....but usually my Blightkings with Gutrot Spume do that for me much better as allies.

For kitbashing a Skullcracker, my starter is going to be the chassis from an Ogor Ironblaster cannon thing, and then some Skaven Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace wheels on the front, and any old superstructure from which maybe the Aethervoid Pendulum or any old shafts with blades and stuff mounted on there.  Then I'll stick on 2 or 3 little guys to run the thing, or maybe even a centaur on the back to push it like the super old war machines had, kinda like a wheelbarrow of death.

• Like 1

I'm normalizing my list at 1.5K for an informal tournament over Memorial Day weekend:

• Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
    • General, Grotesque, Armor of Bazherak The Cruel
  • Daemonsmith (100)
    • Darkforged Weapon
  • Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
    • Allies
  • Infernal Guard Ironsworn x10 (90)
  • Infernal Guard Fireglaives x10 (100)
  • K'daai Fireborn x3 (140)
  • Magma Cannon (140)
  • Magma Cannon (140)

I feel pretty comfortable with this list versus my projected opponents: Nurgle, Wanderers, & Darkling Covens

Ditching the Deathshrieker for another Magma is definitely the way to go.

12 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

I'm normalizing my list at 1.5K for an informal tournament over Memorial Day weekend:

• Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
    • General, Grotesque, Armor of Bazherak The Cruel
  • Daemonsmith (100)
    • Darkforged Weapon
  • Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
    • Allies
  • Magma Cannon (140)
  • Magma Cannon (140)

I feel pretty comfortable with this list versus my projected opponents: Nurgle, Wanderers, & Darkling Covens

Ditching the Deathshrieker for another Magma is definitely the way to go.

If you plan buffing kdaai with sorc i would take them in one big unit.

Would like some list feedback. Have a round-robin 2K tournament in July vs. Nurgle, Sylvaneth, & Gutbusters. This is my first draft list:

Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque 
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Allies
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (90)
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (90)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
9 x K'Daai Fireborn (420)
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train (120)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 160 / 400
Wounds: 113

I have access to another unit of K'daai, more Ironsworn, & Shar'tor but I think this list could work. Bombard the enemy with tons of shooting, buff the K'daai and have them melt through opposing lines. The Ironsworn then trundle towards the objectives with Shackles hopefully slowing my opponent. Taur'ruk wrecks their heroes and maybe I win some games.

Edited by Televiper11

Why not take the last 20 points and make the DRL into a Magma Cannon? 
(guessing it's because you don't own a third?)

I feel like you need a third threat.
the shooting helps. It withers things down making them ripe for a punch, but you have two punches: Kdaai and the Taruk.
I don't think the taruk can handle a large threat on his own.
Do you have a way to fit a skull cracker? The sorcerer lord is pricey, he could give you some wiggle room if dropped.

I would definitely drop the Balewind Vortex.  That's actually a hindrance to the Daemonsmith.  His Ashstorm is 36" already, and he needs to move to get the Blood of Hashut thrown on unsuspecting targets.  Though I suppose that does make him more survivable to keep the Wrath going in the Artillery Train?

Also the Shackles I am doubtful of; every time I've tried them they actually just get in my own way and backfire.  Geminids are more useful; an allied Changeling is good for annoyance purposes  :D

Also second the motion for the third Magma Cannon!  SOOOO very much better than a Deathshrieker.

Sorcerer Lord is certainly useful to buff those K'daai, however I might suggest allied Karanak instead.  He can unbind like the Sorcerer Lord, pester his quarry and summon those free extra Flesh Hounds when he nears the quarry; really just need to pick an easy one to get to and then you get free Flesh Hounds!  Good extra bodies and speed.

• Like 1

@Lord Krungharr @Blackspine

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actively seeking a third Magma Cannon and will drop the Deathshrieker if I get one in time.

Regarding the Sorcerer Lord, his buff of the K'daai turns them into veritable killing machines. Hard to see me dropping him and losing the buff. 

Karanak / Flesh Hounds are an intriguing option. I've run Furies previously as a cheap chaff unit (whose ability to fly comes in handy vs Sylvaneth). Hounds cost more but are def better.

Am tempted to drop the Endless Spells altogether. I dig the Balewind because then DS can cast both Ash Storm & Fireball but having him more mobile is a plus, I think. If he's static, it defeats taking the battalion.

Can he still drop Blood Of Hashut from atop the Vortex?

Edited by Televiper11
Added a question

Hi all!

I'm thinking about jumping on the Hashut train for my next project and I'm looking for some tips on the war machines. 

First of all, what's a good configuration? I'm thinking of 2x Magma, an Iron Deamon and a Deathshrieker. But I've also toyed with 2x Magma and 2x Iron Daemon. That feels like it might be overkill though. A lot of people seem to like 3x magma but I think I'd like a bit more variety in terms of modelling.

Secondly, is the battalion actually worth it?

Lastly, how do people go about converting the Skullcracker? Is there any kind of guide out there on the best way to go about it because I can see myself adding some in to my army down the line.

I'd also love it you guys could take a look at my provisional list and give me some feedback, I'm more a collector/painter but I do like my armies to be reasonably functional.

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- General
- Trait: Grotesque 
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 
Drazhoath the Ashen (320)
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

Units
3 x K'Daai Fireborn (140)
3 x K'Daai Fireborn (140)

War Machines
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)

Battalions
Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 3

So what do we think about the new endless spells out of Forbidden Power? I think the boat and the bridge might help us out with our low movement problems. Also the shards combined with shackles might be some kind of obstacle to slow our opponents down. Any more ideas or opinions? :)

I was thinking the boat is pretty awesome for mass units of Fireglaives to get them into firing range but I haven't laid out the geometry to see if that's actually possible.  I guess the bridge might be better since the Fireglaives don't really want to charge things usually.  The boat would be perhaps better for a big unit of

BullCentaurs?   My understanding is the boat lets things move normally after the transport, but then you have to sacrifice a model!?!  Guess that's better for Ironsworn then.  Yes, I think both of those would be good in a Blackshard Warhost, with a good couple of allied wizards, like Heralds of Tzeentch who can do the once per game 3 dice casting.   Tzaangor Shaman could be good too though more expensive.

Haven't looked at the little pyramid ones yet.  Shackles have bitten me hard in the past, after I've cast them.  Tough to place sometimes.

17 hours ago, Charlo said:

How'd it go?!

I had a really rough weekend with really close matches that didn’t go my way. LoA is of course a swing army with alot of upsides (and downsides) depending on a few dicerolls. We knew that and it is what it is. But I did scramble a lot of points even in defeat. And the team finish in 3rd place which is very good I think.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Moonbicky Your list looks fine from a dual Modeler/ Play standpoint.
Do you have enough to fill out the battalion : Artillery train?  (I don't have it in front of me) 

Draz is a great looking model, but he seems to not ad a lot of punch. His spell goes off on an 8, and he's not the best in combat. You'll have to clip him to the side of something.

As for the skull-cracker; go with your instincts. Model up something fun and unique.

Re: battalion . Artillery train is the one people like the most. I'm not a fan of blackshard warhost. Not moving really can hurt. Our infantry is slow to begin with, and sacrificing a turn for a bonus is not great.  Just my thought

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Train rules!  However I view the Warhost as good.  The bonus from not moving helps after getting the Ironsworn into combat.  The next turn, whosever it is, they will not have moved and get the reroll bonus.  With the new boatman and bridge, they might actually be able to go places now?!?!?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackspine said:

It's a great model. 
What rules would we use though?
I used the Mierce Mino "Krull" as my Kdaai Destroyer back in 8th ed. Complete with rookie airbrush paint-job. 

The older LoA compendium says to substitute the Great Taurus warscroll

Edited by Televiper11

17 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

That's what FW suggested. What do you suggest then?

Yeah I was shocked back in the day when i read it. No offense intended - just sayin that the miniature of the destroyer doesnt fit the ruleset of a great taurus. 

I cant see me using him at all, but why not using him as https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Skaarac-the-Bloodborn

I mean its the model FW turned the WIP Kdaai Destroyer into (and I am still sad about it 😅)

Edited by Charly2912