AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Is this more or less what a decent list should look like then? Are any of the battalions worth it? 

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Drazhoath the Ashen (320)
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- Darkforged Weapon & Spiteshield
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
- General
- Trait: Lord of War
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 132

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Is this more or less what a decent list should look like then? Are any of the battalions worth it? 

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
- General
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon

Battleline
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)

War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Deathshrieker Rocket Launcher (120)

Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 132

It's okayish if you like bull centaurs. Most of the time im making tau'ruk a general. I think i never fielded castellan and bsb. I would swap them and deathsrieker for skullcracker and third magma.

54 minutes ago, Entombet said:

It's okayish if you like bull centaurs. Most of the time im making tau'ruk a general. I think i never fielded castellan and bsb. I would swap them and deathsrieker for skullcracker and third magma.

Ohhhh interesting. Are their command abilities and auras not worth it? 

I figured if I was taking a Tau’ruk it might be worth it to take Bull Centaurs? Otherwise I guess there aren’t very many buffs or synergies going out? Hm this is different from Khorne hahaha. 

So basically delete Castellan, BSB, Bull Centaurs and gain more... war machines? Haha 

4 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Ohhhh interesting. Are their command abilities and auras not worth it? 

I figured if I was taking a Tau’ruk it might be worth it to take Bull Centaurs? Otherwise I guess there aren’t very many buffs or synergies going out? Hm this is different from Khorne hahaha. 

So basically delete Castellan, BSB, Bull Centaurs and gain more... war machines? Haha 

They have abilties that are worth it however they are SLOWWWWWWWW so the Castellan doesn’t need see much use... and BSB isn’t required really as our units are already amazing at stock (looking sexy with 4 ups and base rend yummy) skull crackers and ranged weapons allow dwarves to pretend they aren’t slow and hit hard. Always a good choice!

2 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

They have abilties that are worth it however they are SLOWWWWWWWW so the Castellan doesn’t need see much use... and BSB isn’t required really as our units are already amazing at stock (looking sexy with 4 ups and base rend yummy) skull crackers and ranged weapons allow dwarves to pretend they aren’t slow and hit hard. Always a good choice!

Here I was looking at forcing enemies to come to me with artillery so they could not ignore it and then once they got within 12” use my Lord of War to get 3+ hit and the Castellan ability for 3+ wound on my riflemen to blast those front units down haha. 

Maybe it’s better to just use volume of fire? I’m so used to Khorne where everything is so buff reliant. 

It makes sense I guess I’m thinking about it from a melee army perspective and so I’m like “when they get to my shield wall warriors out in front of my riflemen they’ll be great at melee cuz they’ll be trying to charge me!” But I guess that would be for nobody but Khorne lmao. 

41 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

Here I was looking at forcing enemies to come to me with artillery so they could not ignore it and then once they got within 12” use my Lord of War to get 3+ hit and the Castellan ability for 3+ wound on my riflemen to blast those front units down haha. 

Maybe it’s better to just use volume of fire? I’m so used to Khorne where everything is so buff reliant. 

It makes sense I guess I’m thinking about it from a melee army perspective and so I’m like “when they get to my shield wall warriors out in front of my riflemen they’ll be great at melee cuz they’ll be trying to charge me!” But I guess that would be for nobody but Khorne lmao. 

You also need forward strength and the ability to take objectives, so the warmachines help add some speed and Krump the enemy so that your slow infantry can saunter up and take it afterwards haha. If bull centaurs were premier hammers then running them of course would work fine for chaos dwarves... they just don’t pack as much punch as nescessary and that leaves ranged options and warmachines to contend midfield and beyond. That being said the melee warmachines is hard to come by...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

I was looking at option like a Daemon Prince, Chimera, and stuff like that to sort of be blitzkrieg hammers to shoot out (10+ movement speed with lots of attacks) to tear into some screens or objectives. Anyone tried anything like that? 

Next you’ll be saying we should use our old hobgoblins as marauders or something! Balphemy! We need no Ally!

honestly everything that can keep pace with them melee warmachines should work fine. Just remember the rule of thumb: target saturation (also don’t mark tzeentch on the daemon prince that sucks unless that’s your allegiance) also remember they are mostly not as tough and as such will die before them (Nurgle Daemon prince gets a boost in defence right? Maybe run that so the opponent doesn’t know what to kill first)

10 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

So I reckon a typical solid list is Drazhoath, Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (no Bull Centaur normies though), Daemonsmith and then maybe 40 Ironsworn and 40 Fireglaives fill the rest with x1 War Machine and Magma Cannons? 

Yes! Look into endless spells as well it can be worth it. Also if your local meta loves terrain sometimes the deathshrieker can be better then a magma due to range and not needing line of sight (although most of the time the magma is better) I also like fitting two warmachines ti fix my ocd and have one at each flank just cuz. It’s a top tier strategy I’m sure

6 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

Yes! Look into endless spells as well it can be worth it. Also if your local meta loves terrain sometimes the deathshrieker can be better then a magma due to range and not needing line of sight (although most of the time the magma is better) I also like fitting two warmachines ti fix my ocd and have one at each flank just cuz. It’s a top tier strategy I’m sure

So roughly something like this? 

Leaders
Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 

Battleline
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)

War Machines
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Battalions
Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train (120)

Endless Spells
The Burning Head (40)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 124

@Ravinsild if you are happy with that formation, drops, and models then it should work fine as is. More experienced evil moustache twirlers should be able to critique the list in a finer way but that looks like it’s ready for playtesting and tweaking for your liking. Just keep in mind while playing possible changes in endless spells, placement, and unit sizes as all of the main work better vs certain opponents. Good luck on your quest to enslave and kill everyone else!

also don’t you have an extra artifact as well? Gryph feather charm does well on the centaur (I’d almost make him the warlord depending on your plan)

Edited by TheadTheOgorSlayer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

@Ravinsild if you are happy with that formation, drops, and models then it should work fine as is. More experienced evil moustache twirlers should be able to critique the list in a finer way but that looks like it’s ready for playtesting and tweaking for your liking. Just keep in mind while playing possible changes in endless spells, placement, and unit sizes as all of the main work better vs certain opponents. Good luck on your quest to enslave and kill everyone else!

also don’t you have an extra artifact as well? Gryph feather charm does well on the centaur (I’d almost make him the warlord depending on your plan)

Well I was more hammering out what to buy first. I was probably going to go 10 men at a time and paint them up and work toward 1,000 points, then 2,000 gradually. I was just feeling out the army right now. I'm excited and I think I'll get my first squad of sword and shield boys today :D 

• Like 1

I am taking this list for a test spin soon:

- General
- Trait: Grotesque 
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
- Darkforged Weapon & Pyrelock Pistol
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Allies
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (90)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Hellcannon (300)
Blackshard Warhost (160)
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 160 / 400
Wounds: 112

(I recognize that the Hell Cannon doesn't currently have the LoA keyword but my gaming group agrees that since it has a chaos dwarf crew, I can run it as part of my list without going over my ally points)

2019-03-05 09.10.00.jpg

Edited by Televiper11
Added a photo
  • LOVE IT! 1

20 minutes ago, B.C.D. said:

Would it be worth running 4 skullcrackers?

In all honesty you’ll be tougher and more damaging then most “chariots” at that price tag. And it’s one of our best units... add a magma for every train to carry with it 😂😂😂

if you find yourself lacking in numbers due to your heavy investment, then pick up some marauder allies (we can ally with marauders right?) 

Oh yeah, I definitely want to try the 4 skullcracker/magma list!  Hmmm, let's see, that's 800/560/300 (3x10 fireglaives)/100 daemonsmith=1760.  

That leaves enough for 40 Marauders @200 pts who can ally with us because they're Slaves to Darkness, leaving enough points for like Geminids maybe?,.....OR 40 Plague Monks who even without support are pretty darn good, who can ally with us because they're Nurgle.  Hmmmmmm….

I've attached a picture of my engine army in battle vs the Idoneth.  I neglected to take one of it all set up on the little display board though.  I'll do that tomorrow morning.

IMG_7175.JPG

2 hours ago, Hebroseph said:

I'd love to know where you are getting 4 SkullCrackers lol. 

Are Iron Daemons and SkullCrackers the same size? Can I convert the ID's with a Deffroller or something to make skullcrackers?

Luckily I got 4 back when they were still available from FW's website. Two built and painted and the other two are still untouched in their bag. The skullcracker is about the same size as the ID. You can always go and maybe attach two big pendulum endless spells coming down the front to make it look like a skullcracker :)

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I've attached a picture of my engine army in battle vs the Idoneth.  I neglected to take one of it all set up on the little display board though.  I'll do that tomorrow morning.

Wow thanks for sharing. I really dig your converted magmacannons and skullcracker :)

Edited by B.C.D.

Toying with this list for a 1K tourney coming up:

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Trait: Grotesque 
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
Magma Cannon (140)
Blackshard Warhost (160)

Total: 1000 / 2000
Wounds: 60

This is perfect! I want to get into this army, and wouldn't you freaking know it our local Games Workshop is literally doing an escalation league starting with 350 points! I'm thinking to get started, since there's no start collecting set, 10 fireglaive, 1 magma cannon and 1 daemonsmith. That's 340! Hopefully I can paint them and get them ready by the time the point bracket goes up. Any thoughts on this starting point? 

Obviously I could go big ballsy and just do Drazhoath the man himself for all 320 points and an endless spell LOL

Edited by Ravinsild

1x Daemonsmith, 10x Fireglaives, 1x Magma Cannon is a great start for an escalation league! Plant the smith behind the cannon to buff it while the Glaives advance and fire. As your points escalate, work towards the Blackshard Battalion.

Painting them is super-easy if you prime them black and base them red (or any other color you desire). Here's a photo of my red ones:1446197528_2019-03-0509_20_47.jpg.f2c6e5660c953a4ed0c0f1185961546c.jpg

I plan to add some bronze highlights to their armor.

Edited by Televiper11