AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, gronnelg said:

Hey guys! Non Legion player here. How does the Legion perform against other armies, on the tournament scene, etc.? 

Objectives are a pain, but I haven’t had trouble killing anyone yet. I run 30 block of guns sometimes and each volley does like 5 to 6 mortal wounds so character killing is a cinch

Against anyone with heavy armour: rend and mortal wounds.... nuff said

against hordes: we can bring similar numbers but our troops have liberator armour on!

against magic: enough numbers in some lists to make it not super painful but you still won’t excel against it. Show wizards who’s boss by gunning them down 

against teleport shenanigans: figure out here they want to go and block their charges , anyone who tries ranged teleports to outgunline you will probably fold (you can handle the damage initially and then remove their choice units since they came so close!), especially since kurnoth hunters and tzaangor skyfires are no longer op af

again, and I can’t stress this enough, speed is the number one reason dwarves lose games in my opinion. I’ve never felt lacking in other areas (well, I feel lacking in magic but I play tzeentch so I think that’s an issue with me and not the army... I can’t  handle not being able to cast 6 spells a turn all at plus one or two to cast XD)

fix your slowness and you will win games, iron daemons help with this if you want, allies help as well. I’ve never fought a new tome army and felt like I didn’t compare damage wise despite codex creep. Native minus one rend on all basic troops and guns with mortal wounds makes armour and hordes crumple. Local debuffs make Death Stars a lot easier to deal with, our units don’t need buff support to function which is nice. Slowness is the one thing that holds us back a lot...

who do you tend to play? If I’ve ran games against them I’ll tell you my experiences!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheadTheOgorSlayer said:

again, and I can’t stress this enough, speed is the number one reason dwarves lose games in my opinion. I’ve never felt lacking in other areas

How about using cogs for speeding us up a little bit? Have you or anyone else have had some experience with using them in the past?

Also one more thing that I am still not sure about: Can you use a unit of ironsworn/fireglaives WITHOUT a leader/deathmask or is the warscroll written that way that you must take one in the unit? I can't figure it out on my own and the facebook team isn't helping atm :/

2 hours ago, B.C.D. said:

How about using cogs for speeding us up a little bit? Have you or anyone else have had some experience with using them in the past?

Major issue I’ve had with cogs is that I find I have to wait for the perfect moment to speed up time, so my first and sometimes second turns are just as bad off. I think perhaps something like the firestorm free city would be helpful (the one that raises speed first turn) but we chaos soooooo....

that being said in many scenarios our war machines (the iron daemons mwuahahaha) can attempt first then charges with cogs up, sometimes that’s enough to stop peeps from creeping my dwarves before I get to objectives. I’ve had success with the shooty one, but I think the melee one would be preferable perhaps in this scenario although I don’t have one 

basically if you got a wide no mans land like 24 inches then you need a 10 inch charge with cogs... smaller no mans land means a guaranteed charge practically! And of course if the enemy goes first most armies have to move up mwuahahahahah! All in all I think our super tuff monsters and guns may be the key to winning against shenanigans, simply shoot off said shenanigans 😀 (never had a necromancer pass 10 mortal wound saves and the proceeding average 15 wounds before!!! Especially if I add steam cannonades to the mix for an average of 14 shots! Also mystic shield on a group of shield dwarves in any cover is sexy as hell 😍 3 ups rerolling ones is 75 percent chance of passing and 1/4 is wounds to the opponent! Meaning I believe every dwarve who dies kills 2/3 of an enemy with them on average! Epic win vs anyone without rend! Wish they gave us a spell for plus one save in the little online tome... 

tzeentch is my hardest opponent, damn umbral spell portal!!! Quit killing 15 dwarves in one go gaunt summoner! How come you get full map coverage for snipe spells 😭😭😭

i also use said tactics with my tzeentch lists.... can’t wait to get terrain in the future 😍😍😍

Edited by TheadTheOgorSlayer

4 hours ago, gronnelg said:

@TheadTheOgorSlayerthanks! I'm a Skaven player myself. I was just curious about LoA. I've never faced them, but they seem interesting. 

Darn warp lightning cannons doing 12 mortal wounds.... haha I’m starting a pestilens army myself! Got 60 plague rats (actually insectoids cuz my whole army will be converted) just need a start collecting box and two priests for 1k list! 

2 hours ago, B.C.D. said:

Also one more thing that I am still not sure about: Can you use a unit of ironsworn/fireglaives WITHOUT a leader/deathmask or is the warscroll written that way that you must take one in the unit? I can't figure it out on my own and the facebook team isn't helping atm :/

Personally I’ve never once ever played with the leader 😙 says I *can* take one. I also *can* move the unit 4 inches in a turn, doesn’t mean I will XD

to Be honest this will prolly change in the future! I believe some warscrolls are putting requirement on command so they have to be included?

I have used Gutrot Spume and 5 Blightkings as allies several times and they almost always come in very handy, helping to contest or claim far objectives that the slowpoke Azgorh usually can't get.  I have also tried Skar Bloodwrath for similar reasons but to less avail.  The Sorcerer Lord on Steed is good too though for his better Mystic Shield equivalent ability and his Daemonic Power spell.  

Tzeentch allies could be very very good, like a Tzaangor Shaman and Wildfire Taurus, though that's expensive.  I think the Blue Scribes could also be very good for assistance in the wizardry department.  Or just bite down and take a Lord of Change, great for casting a some combat smackdown if needed.  

For running Bull Centaurs, I think Wrathmongers would be a good choice, though I am not sure if they only buff Khorne units now in the new rules.  

Since Azgorh can ally with Nurgle, 40 Plague Monks and a buffing character would also be very good to make up for bodies, and they can really pack a whallop in melee from what I hear.  The Monks with a Harbinger of Decay would be super tough to move off objectives, and then Azgorh could focus on crushing and blasting things like they should.

I like to run a Chaos Lord Sorcerer as an ally with a unit of Furies. Sorcerer gives you great buffs & an extra chance to unbind/dispell. The Furies can fly onto objectives, and if they get killed, your Sorcerer can just summon them back onto it. I'm going with that until I can buy/build/paint some K'daai Fireborn.

(Note: I am an open/narrative gamer so using Furies as allies may not work for matched/tourney but the Sorcerer is legit, take him no matter what)

Been toying around with a new list. Going all in on the Fireglaives this time as they are just awesome and shooting being so very helpful against FWC and Skaven. Added Draz for the Battleshock phase and his wound bounce back is also nice. The K'ddai for mobility and the chaos sorcerer lord to buff him or a unit of the Fireglaives. The only thing I am not sure about is if I should split up the Units of the Fireglaives a bit more (maybe 30/20/20/20  or   30/30/10/10/10)? What do you think? Anything to add that might be helpful for this list?

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

LEADERS
Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact : Chalice of Blood and Darkness

Drazhoath the Ashen (320)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Steed
- Allies

UNITS
30 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (300)
12 x K'Daai Fireborn (480)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 149
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 160/400

Edited by B.C.D.

That's a crapload of Fireglaives!  Probably and excellent way to use them as you'll be keeping objectives longer and they will be very Brave in that large of numbers.  Of course they're super slow but run them for turn 1 and maybe 2 and they'll be in position to shoot.

I'm wary of putting that much faith in the big groups of Fireborn.  I guess they can be the fast intercept everybody anvil and let the little ones move up to shoot into the combat?  That sounds like a solid tactic.  If only I had enough time to paint my Clan Eshin force and another 50 Fireglaives :D

Agree with Drazhoath in this army, his ability is key to making that tick and stick.   

Different than my taste but seems super solid, and looks much like that Azgorh video Rob guy's army I saw yesterday at Adepticon here in Chicagoland, USA (he is running 80 Fireglaives, and an allied Verminlord Corruptor, an interesting choice).  I hope I get to face him with my Azgorh army tomorrow, as I'm bringing 6 war engines instead (the Artillery Train/3 Magmas, 2 Skullcrackers, 4x10 Fireglaives, Tauruk, Daemonsmith, Castellan with Thermalrider Cloak, and Infernal Standard Bearer).   

Thanks for your feedback :)

6 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Different than my taste but seems super solid, and looks much like that Azgorh video Rob guy's army I saw yesterday at Adepticon here in Chicagoland, USA (he is running 80 Fireglaives, and an allied Verminlord Corruptor, an interesting choice).  I hope I get to face him with my Azgorh army tomorrow, as I'm bringing 6 war engines instead (the Artillery Train/3 Magmas, 2 Skullcrackers, 4x10 Fireglaives, Tauruk, Daemonsmith, Castellan with Thermalrider Cloak, and Infernal Standard Bearer).  

Cool to hear that there are some LoA players at Adepticon :) Are there more or is it just the two of you? How are your games going so far with your list? Would you change something? How convinced are you in taking so many war machines? Man but that army must look soo nice on the board :) Death train incoming! 😈

I'm back and (for the most part) victorious!  3 major victories vs Ironjawz (goregruntas and mawcrushas), Gloomspite Gitz (variety pack), and Idoneth (variety pack), 1 minor victory vs Gloomspite (many many gobbos), and 1 major loss to a Beasts of Khorne army using the old tome (woulda had him with that new nerfed tome).

Magma cannons rolled super hot so I got very fortunate there, except for that loss game when the 30 Bestigors made like a 34" move/run/charge and overran me turns 1 and 2.  I had to keep my fireglaives on my 2 focal point objectives so he couldn't start with too many VPs making me not catch up so the bubblewrap was lacking.  But the Skullcrackers did most of the work anyways, however they didn't roll as hot that game and he had double bronzed flesh going plus Mystic Shield.  I beat that guy before at Polar Vortex in January but that was a different mission where I could reach the objectives earlier on.  

Skullcrackers and careful shooting priority won the games.  Azgorh's ignoring first wounds trait is super good, and they're saves are decent making them able to take those nasty charges quite often aside from the mortal wounds on the charge thing.

Iron Daemon was pretty meh with shooting as usual but it makes a great distraction carnifex, is durable, and fast and grants the Artillery Train, which was super key to the  magma cannon performance.  I think it's probably worth taking with 3 magma cannons.  However taking 3 or 4 skullcrackers would be amazing too and I really want 2 more to try that out!

My Standard Bearer really saved my fireglaives every game with the +1 bravery and his melee wounds of 1 reroll paid off a few times too.  I like him.   Castellan also did help out with his command ability and the thermalrider cloak to get in range, helped kill a Leviathandon and Mangler Boss and Bestigors nicely.

The Tauruk didn't ever do much, but he did manage to charge things, kill a few, retreat and move across the table when needed.

Overall I'm very pleased with how my Azgorh Pain Train performed!

I also met Rob Simms? who was another Azgorh player there, he had 80 Fireglaives, 12 Kdaai unit, Daemonsmith, and Verminlord Corruptor with Lighning Vortex and Shackles.  I hoped to face off against another Azgorh list but alas it didn't happen.  He wound up with I think 3 major wins and 2 losses.  

As far as the Deathmask, I don't know if they would have allowed no Deathmask in the unit, but I see in the unit warscroll it doesn't mention that he exists at the top.  I wouldn't have a problem if someone didn't have one.  But I like his rend 1 single attack.  The old Chaos Dwarf champs are cool looking.

@Lord Krungharr Thanks for the writeup and summary of your trip to Adepticon. Glad to hear that you were satisfied and congrats on your wins :) Were there only the two of you who ran LoA or were there more players at the convention? Can you share some picutres of your army? I am always interested in getting more inspiration of painting schemes for these little chaos dwarfs :)

Do you think the magma cannons are worth it though? I think they are kinda swingy in damage and almost every time I find myself thinking about taking more fireglaives for more consistency. Or do you think the bigger threat range of the cannons and the "psycological" threat they offer is the kicker? I'm excited to hear your opinion(s) :)

Hey guys I have been toying with the idea of starting this army. The list of available models isn’t very large so I came to ask: 

what units are staple must haves and what units are total n00b traps for people who have never played Chaos Dwarves. 

Are the Bull Centaurs good? Any of the artillery pieces? The regular sword and board infantry? Do you have any real hammer units? Would allying in for hammers be worth it? 

4 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Hey guys I have been toying with the idea of starting this army. The list of available models isn’t very large so I came to ask: 

what units are staple must haves and what units are total n00b traps for people who have never played Chaos Dwarves. 

Are the Bull Centaurs good? Any of the artillery pieces? The regular sword and board infantry? Do you have any real hammer units? Would allying in for hammers be worth it? 

Fireglaves and ironsworn are your battlelines so you always start with them, most of the  time i use them in 30 ironsworn 2*10 fireglaves or 3*10 fireglaves configuration. You will never go wrong buing 2+ magmas, tau'ruk and demonsmith. Also i dont remember playing without Drazhoath. Bull centaurs in my opinion lost their potential with the loss of -2 rend and tau'ruk charge after run ability. My biggest concern with loa is their speed and that our machines rarerly score on not our objectives, on killpoints i they can be equal with all armies. I really hope they will change scoring from number of models to number of wounds on on objective.

Edited by Entombet
  • Like 1

So according to some guy on reddit everyone on TGA is an idiot and this is a cesspool for idiots and we have terrible opinions on all the armies. I really thought you guys should know that. It looks like TGA is gonna have to shut down now that some random dude on reddit exposed us 😭😭😭

HOW DID EVERYONE DO AT ADEPTICON?

16 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Quick Magma Cannon question: I know line-of-sight doesn't apply but how closely do my models actually have to be facing their target? Are there guidelines for this?

I thought magma cannons need line of sight? Is this April fools? Or are you talking about literal weapon facing like older 40k? I’m so confuzzled