AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@Lord Krungharr remember if the daemonsmith dies they loose the buff. He has to be on the battlefield as per the wording. I still think the train battalion fits your army very well.  34" threat range of the 3 magmas when you tow them sounds like heaps of fun.

I'm not sold on your hero selection. The Castelan and standard never really work for me. Have you thought about a 2nd Taurak with  -1 to hit or even x2 extra daemonsmiths and shackels? A chaos sorcerer lord could buff 1 skullcracker reroll 1 saves and also cast reroll 1 for save, wound, hit on the other skullcracker.

Have you had a chance to test them out?  Still looks like a fun list and hard as nails to take on.

8 hours ago, Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed said:

@Lord Krungharr remember if the daemonsmith dies they loose the buff. He has to be on the battlefield as per the wording. I still think the train battalion fits your army very well.  34" threat range of the 3 magmas when you tow them sounds like heaps of fun.

I'm not sold on your hero selection. The Castelan and standard never really work for me. Have you thought about a 2nd Taurak with  -1 to hit or even x2 extra daemonsmiths and shackels? A chaos sorcerer lord could buff 1 skullcracker reroll 1 saves and also cast reroll 1 for save, wound, hit on the other skullcracker.

Have you had a chance to test them out?  Still looks like a fun list and hard as nails to take on.

Oops, I misread the battalion rules.  Hmmmm, might still be worth it though.  If the engines get shot or wizarded early on they can't tow them as far and then I'll need the range.  Though I usually like to keep the Daemonsmiths and the cannons clustered in the center for optimal board position.

The Standard has proven very valuable in the last couple tournaments.  I tried the Castellan once, and by turn 3 he was in command range of anything that mattered, and that did help.  But just like my allied old version of the Plague Priest (who no longer does the same thing as the Castellan), he is slow and can't be in range without help.   So maybe the Cloak will help.  I'll give it a try next practice game and report.

I sorely want a Lord of Change.  If I sell off some random bits and things maybe I can get one.   He's potent!

Haven't ever used the Shackles.  Maybe I'll get those and the Chaos Sorcerer in there.

Edited by Lord Krungharr

@Lord Krungharr  RIP the plague priest... had an extra 1" range, faster movement, wouldn't waste a command point and could do a reroll all wounds once per game... oh and 40pts cheaper... 

I rekon the power of the train battalion is the fact you don't have to clump up the cannons and you can tow them all over the place in any direction, even retreating if necessary to bait units towards you.

Personally i like to keep the cannons together because they are a bigger threat when surrounded by fireglaive chaff and x2 daemonsmiths. I find the extra expense of the iron daemon tax and the extra 120 isn't worth it. I do have an addiction to 1 maxed out K'Daai unit each time i build an AoS list so i usually have to ditch the battalion to fit it in.

And just to be clear, i don't participate in any tournaments. I play with mates in my backyard. We do however always go hardmode and are cheesy as ******. We only play with filthy lists...

Anyone here frustrated about LoA not having access to BoC as allies? It seems like a natural compliment given the Hashut-like nature of Doombulls, etc. I'd love to see the Herdstone standing behind my troops, for example, or run unit of Bullgors behind my Bull Centaur Renders.

As anyone tried the Magewrath Throne as a terrain piece, maybe for their Daemonsmith?

Wait can you just include a terrain piece in your army?

2 minutes ago, Televiper11 said:

Anyone here frustrated about LoA not having access to BoC as allies? It seems like a natural compliment given the Hashut-like nature of Doombulls, etc. I'd love to see the Herdstone standing behind my troops, for example, or run unit of Bullgors behind my Bull Centaur Renders.

As anyone tried the Magewrath Throne as a terrain piece, maybe for their Daemonsmith?

Looks like the Daughters of Khaine have a similar thing to our Spiteshields.  And given the use of hordes and buckets of attacks, and then of course saves, is it worth plopping a unit with Spiteshields like Ironsworn in front of them?  Can they dish out a chunk of hurt in return to make that worthwhile?   I only have Bull Centaurs for now but they have the shields of course.  My Skullcrackers can strike behind them too at 3" range.

Okay against rend zero and with no buffs spite shields will deal a wound for every 3 models dead. Daughters of khaine have up to 60 attacks unbuffed which I believe ends up being 120 attacks with dual knives and hero nearby. This means approximately 1.33 wounds per model so if two ranks of ten attack (idk if they are on 25s or nah) we will see approximately 27 wounds!!! We will save 13.5 and take 12.5 wounds after our lit armour activates dealing approximately 4.5 mortal wounds back. With a mystic shield (why not?!?) this is upped to approximately 7 mortal wounds per 36 wounds dealt (slightly higher then the 6 mortal wounds dealt by unbuffed units in that scenario) so you will deal about 5 mortal wounds instead!!! Honestly if you want chaff ally it in... against Death Stars like khaine or pestilens a unit of 90 point dwarves will not survive... however if they kill 5 witch elves they did make 50 points back.... so perhaps I was wrong about it not being a good trade off....

i cant think of any other chaff that almost makes it’s points back by dying so actually go ahead!!! (You will also find against low damage units the armour ability per phase will rock and make their points back almost by itself)

so yes block those filthy witch elves... especially if they are fully buffed and are gonna get a lot of models into combat.... mwuahahahahaha

30 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Looks like the Daughters of Khaine have a similar thing to our Spiteshields.  And given the use of hordes and buckets of attacks, and then of course saves, is it worth plopping a unit with Spiteshields like Ironsworn in front of them?  Can they dish out a chunk of hurt in return to make that worthwhile?   I only have Bull Centaurs for now but they have the shields of course.  My Skullcrackers can strike behind them too at 3" range.

So now for the real post :P I have been playing with my last list for a while and it is a lot of fun so far. Now I want to try out something different with a bit more battalions in it. With this list I will get down to two drops. What do you think?

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

LEADERS
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Grotesque
- Darkforged Weapon & Pyrelock Pistol
- Artefact : Black Hammer of Hashut

Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
- Artefact : Armour of Bazherak the Cruel
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact : Chalice of Blood and Darkness

UNITS
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

WAR MACHINES
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

BATTALIONS
Blackshard Warhost (160)
Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 133
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 3/4
ARTEFACTS: 3/3 ALLIES: 0/400

Edited by B.C.D.

10 hours ago, Lamekh said:

You've got 3 units of Glaives, Blackshard contains 2 units of Ironsworn and 2 units of Glaives, giving you 3 Drops

Argh you're right. Fixed it 😊

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh

LEADERS
Infernal Guard Castellan (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Grotesque
- Darkforged Weapon & Pyrelock Pistol
- Artefact : Black Hammer of Hashut
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
- Artefact : Armour of Bazherak the Cruel
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
- Artefact : Chalice of Blood and Darkness

UNITS
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)
20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (180)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)
20 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (200)

WAR MACHINES
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

BATTALIONS
Blackshard Warhost (160)
Hashut's Wrath Artillery Train (120)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Geminids (40)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 133
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 3/4
ARTEFACTS: 3/3 ALLIES: 0/400

I think your list is about the most Legion of Azgorhish as one could get though, and probably pretty decently competitive?  Seems like plenty of bodies and ranged threats.  Weak on sorcery of course and slow but sometimes guns can make up for slowness.  

I was thinking about the Train with the Herd....no Ironsworn complete for me yet. 

AzgorhHerdTrain.pdf

Edited by Lord Krungharr
Wanted to add my armylist idea

3 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

For other armies and more alpha strike deepstrike ****** (thinking of those Starhost pteradactyls) the battalions pay off for going first reasons.

Shadowstrike sure isn't fun to be hit by, but if you screen it properly with a cheap screen those Ripperdactyls will die on your turn..and even if they don't, the big bonuses are gone after that initial swoop down.

If you notice, many battalions tend to be toned down lately. While some are definitely still viable and offer 1-3 drops, most of the time I see people abandoning these now in favor of more units. A lot of the time you may have around the same drops compared to what was going on 1-2 years ago.

Hi guys !

Thinking about starting Legion of Azghor and found a painted army on internet, here is the composition :

30 infernal guard ironsworn

35 infernal guard fireglaives

5 set of infernal guard command

2 iron daemon war engine

3 Deathshrieker rocket launcher

1 magma cannon

3 Daemonsmiths

2 Castellan

Is it a good buy to be decent at 2k points ?

Thanks

Edited by Heaven_lord

4 minutes ago, Heaven_lord said:

Hi guys !

Thinking about starting Legion of Azghor and found a painted army on internet, here is the composition :

30 infernal guard ironsworn

35 infernal guard fireglaives

5 set of infernal guard command

2 iron daemon war engine

3 Deathshrieker rocket launcher

1 magma cannon

3 Daemonsmiths

2 Castellan

Is it a good buy to be decent at 2k points ?

Thanks

Kinds wish those deathshriekers were magma cannons but seem alright. Definitely a good way to start as you can branch out pretty much any way you want from there. We don’t have many choices for units so as long as it isn’t mortars any unit should work well

Hmmm, I think that is a good buy.  You'll have plenty of stuff to work with, though I'd never run 2 Castellans.   Blackshard Warhost is solid, use that!

3 Deathshriekers all targeting the same unit could prove worthwhile; I've torn up a few enemies with concentrated Tzeentch Flamer fire before, but Deathshriekers hit better and can target unvisible units from afar.  Wouldn't even need the Artillery Train as a Daemonsmith can just sit back with them in your backfield and lob missiles and Ashstorm.

You could also get a boar  or similar bestial body and slap a Castellan (cut off his legs) on top for a Tauruk as a general.

It's crunch time, and I'm on the fence about which to bring to the Adepticon Championships.   The first one is more shooty, and it seems good to have the battalion but then the Iron Daemon is kinda meh in my tournament experiences with it.  Sure looks cool though and scares people way more than the Skullcrackers, which is a good distraction!

The second one is much more choppy, and I think the Renders and Shartor provide some good hammer 'n' anvil action.

Which one do you fellow wicked Dwarves favor?

Adepticon2019Championships Azgorh.pdf

Adepticon2019Champs Azgorh V2.pdf

Good morning folks.

I am looking at starting a chaos dwarf (Legion of Azgorh) now normally I don't mind buying a big old heap of models, painting them up and having fun with lists etc. However there is a bit of a hefty price tag that comes with these boys.

So I have a few questions.

1) these guys look like they could be fairly competetive. Has anyone had good success with them in tournaments?

2) do they play well with others? Any other chaos units/Charachters that run particularly well with them? 

3) are the battalions a worth while investment points wise? They seem a bit meh on paper and was thinking having minimal drops and going first, is that really for these guys?

Finally any help on a list would be great. I'm thinking of getting the set on forge world for the core of the army as I need battleline units anyways right? Is it worth while getting a command group for every unit?

I will slowly expand from there :) but would definately have an end goal (list) to work to as like I said earlier the price tag is fairly hefty on this army.

Ps don't tell my wife how much they cost. EVER 🤣

Thanks in adavnce

I am operating on a smaller basis, building and painting fully before purchasing a new batch. My first batch is finished and painted and im building up my hobby bankroll before I buy my next batch. As it is I have a lot of room for allies and take max 400 points every round to just field my army at 2k. So far Allies that I have taken  are Daemonettes, Chaos Sorcerer lord, keeper of secrets, The Masque of Slaanesh, and Ogroid Thamategure(Not spelled correctly lol) 

The all-stars were definitely the Daemonettes and the Sorcerer. I'm currently light on bodies, only running 20 fireglaives and 9 Bull Centaurs. The Daemonettes in either blocks of 30 or 20 with hero, have been instrumental in winning some of my matches. They hit HARD on the charge, but fold under pressure quite well as they do not have an invuln like their 40K counterparts. Being able to run a big block of Bulls on one flank and Daemonettes on the other force the opponent to split his deployment. 

The Chaos Sorcerer has been amazing with my big block of Bulls, Rerolling 1's for hit, wound and saves are everything this unit needs to excel. 

I have read reports of Gutrot Spume and a unit of Blightlords as your allies, but I have not tested them yet. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hebroseph said:

I am operating on a smaller basis, building and painting fully before purchasing a new batch. My first batch is finished and painted and im building up my hobby bankroll before I buy my next batch. As it is I have a lot of room for allies and take max 400 points every round to just field my army at 2k. So far Allies that I have taken  are Daemonettes, Chaos Sorcerer lord, keeper of secrets, The Masque of Slaanesh, and Ogroid Thamategure(Not spelled correctly lol) 

The all-stars were definitely the Daemonettes and the Sorcerer. I'm currently light on bodies, only running 20 fireglaives and 9 Bull Centaurs. The Daemonettes in either blocks of 30 or 20 with hero, have been instrumental in winning some of my matches. They hit HARD on the charge, but fold under pressure quite well as they do not have an invuln like their 40K counterparts. Being able to run a big block of Bulls on one flank and Daemonettes on the other force the opponent to split his deployment. 

The Chaos Sorcerer has been amazing with my big block of Bulls, Rerolling 1's for hit, wound and saves are everything this unit needs to excel. 

I have read reports of Gutrot Spume and a unit of Blightlords as your allies, but I have not tested them yet. 

This is pretty much exactly how I plan to do things. I already have nurgle so I will be running generic chaos for the first good while. And like that plan on building and painting these guys to the best of my abilities.

Paint scheme wise I plan on going very simular to the cover of the FW pdf. The armour will be red (almost black) with blue where I can fit it in. Skin wise I'm planning on an ashen grey colour.

Really excited to start painting these :D