AoS 2 - Legion Of Azgorh Discussion

Gaz Taylor

19 minutes ago, Blackspine said:

Kind of odd question:

I have quite a few of the "Khan wolf boys",  hobgoblin archers, infantry, and skulkers (hobgoblins w two blades) and am trying to think of a way to use them in the Legion. 

Any ideas?
Best that I have is for basing, objective and wound markers...

Maybe use them as allies marauders and marauder hosemen or go generic chaos and use them as ungors, Ungor raiders, and centigors.

• Like 1

Hi Guys. I am new to this forum and new the Legion. Before I sell all my organs to buy an army, could you give me some feedback? I have two styles of list that i've been working on. One is a mobile, melee force and the other is a infantry, midboard control with magic and shooting. I'm hoping to get some feedback on both from current players of Legion becuase they both require a large $$ investment and it will be a long time before I could buy both. First up is the mobile assualt list. I am going for competitive and tournament worthy.  All CC is welcomed!

LEADERS
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
Daemonsmith (100)
UNITS
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
WAR MACHINES
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)
TOTAL: 2000/2000

The 4th Renders could also be either a 4th Magma Cannon or 4th Bull Centaur Taur'ruk in my mind, but I wanted more troops/wounds.

• Like 1

If you're running that many Bulls, you may want to think about the battalion. 
Not only does it give some ok bonuses, but lets you have another artifact.

Armor & Chalice seem to be the best of them.

Not sure how cogs works for you, your army is already very fast with charge bonuses. Plus the Dsmith can only cast once per turn. Maybe take those points and get a balewind?

Here's my take

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Shar'tor the Executioner (220)
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Bull Centaur Taur'ruk (160)
- Artefact: Armour of Bazherak the Cruel 
- Artefact: Chalice of Blood and Darkness 
3 x Bull Centaur Renders (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Execution Herd (160)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 101

Skull cracker can EASILY be a centaur unit. but damn that thing can work.  

Edited by Blackspine
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice! I seriously wish I could get my hands on a Skull Cracker.... I also think they would be quite smashy. My thinking with the Cogs is to ensure a second round charge and to give myself a chance at a 1st turn charge, but your put is well taken,.

The battalion is definitely a good idea. I was a little worried about my wound count, so I think if I bought that list I would play test it a lot and see what I liked better, the bonus from the battalion or the extra fat. :) 

• Like 1

Yeah understandable. 
I don't think you'll have much trouble for a second turn / bottom of 1 charge. 

Dumping the Skullcracker gives you plenty of points. You could dabble in allies to find a fast monster with spells. (I do think this list needs spells or a LOT more wounds)

Good luck!

14 hours ago, Blackspine said:

Thanks, that's a solid idea.

Quite thematic as well!

I'd most likely only use them in friendly games / RTT as they're proxies and don't want to ruffle feathers.

I don't think you'd ruffle anyone. Sigmar is such a basic stat line that it means count as is suuuuper easy and thematic.

Right guys, its on.  The Execution Herd is ready to roll.  

3rd Centaur unit if getting assembles right now and I have a game booked on Saturday night.  

Realm: Aqshy

Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
- Thermal rider Cloak

Magma Cannon (140)

Execution Herd (160)

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Wounds: 99

The army is very small.  Has anyone played with this yet? Looks great on paper but I don't think it will like getting bogged down.  

I get Marked for Death for Reroll HITS

Shar'tor Command makes all Bulls Reroll failed charge rolls and re-roll Hooves hit rolls of 1. 

Taur'ruk gives +1 to hit rolls for the bulls.  

Battle Standard gives reroll 1's to wound and moves 8"

It feels a bit like there is too much going on with buffing to hit rolls, and not enough 

I also need to choose a 2nd artefact.  

• Like 2

Regarding a proxy skullcracker you could always have a go at building an old style cd tenderiser or whirlwind pushed by a bull centaur. It would fit beautifully thematically with your army. Traditionally the were pushed by boar centaurs but that won’t matter.

Here are some originals.

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2479

I have a poor quality conversion myself but cannot seem to upload the pictire at present. I’ll see what I can do to hive you an idea later

• Like 1

On 10 August 2018 at 11:42 PM, Blackspine said:

You could dabble in allies to find a fast monster with spells. (I do think this list needs spells or a LOT more wounds!

Im planning on adding a Lammasu.

nothing would fit a Chaos Dwarf force more I think, it's fast and will hamper enemy spell casting.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Sorry I don't want to be that guy that spams the forums with lists but because investing in Chaos Dwarfs is more expensive I was hoping to get feedback  from actualy Chaos Dwarfs :). I want to be able to compete in most tournaments. I feel like mobility is very important for most competitive games but for what this lacks in mobility it makes up for it in midboard presence. 90 fearless Dwarfs and Draz and the Magma Cannons to spit out mortal wounds. If you were me and had $500 to spend on either a centaur list or the below, what would you go with? I like all the models and I don't mind painting hordes.

LEADERS
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Daemonsmith (100) - Darkforged Weapon - Artefact :  Chalice of Blood and Darkness  
UNITS
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
WAR MACHINES
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

I am not a competitive player so can’t advise on  the list..Similarly I don’t know the rules in tournament for non FW or GW figures. But FW are not the only miniature company with nice dawi zharr minis. Lots of people at cdo use mantic abyssal dwarves, others like Russian alternative (I think they maybe better mold quality bu not sure). Norba minis look nice but I have heard mixed things about them. I like the look of Scibor but I think there is not much price advantage.

As for war machines I am less sure Fw ones are so nice. Draz is nice too but mantic have a nice  figure, although the Scibor one is my favorite. 

I don’t know if anyone on TGA has experience of alternate minis but if you want I can ask around at cdo http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/index.php

If you have to go GW and are not afraid to convert there is lots that might be cheaper. I have a 3000 pt steampunk cd army from gw ebay space orcs and scratch builds

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Did the Lammasu get any rule changes in AoS2 or does it still have its old warscroll? 

I don't know if it's been updated, it'll take some of your allies allowance. 

But its 140pts for a flying wizard, that reduces casting rolls by 1 for non-chaos wizards in 18"

with the extra realm spells, it'll have some good variety. 

8 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry I don't want to be that guy that spams the forums with lists but because investing in Chaos Dwarfs is more expensive I was hoping to get feedback  from actualy Chaos Dwarfs :). I want to be able to compete in most tournaments. I feel like mobility is very important for most competitive games but for what this lacks in mobility it makes up for it in midboard presence. 90 fearless Dwarfs and Draz and the Magma Cannons to spit out mortal wounds. If you were me and had $500 to spend on either a centaur list or the below, what would you go with? I like all the models and I don't mind painting hordes.

LEADERS
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Daemonsmith (100) - Darkforged Weapon - Artefact :  Chalice of Blood and Darkness  
UNITS
WAR MACHINES
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Imo, if you're going to run that much infantry, you should really invest in the battalion with the support heroes.  Drop a Magma Cannon or two for something like an Iron Daemon.  Rolling an Iron Daemon up the field with a Magma Cannon, just spells certain doom for many mid-backline heroes.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:12 AM, Ben said:

Right guys, its on.  The Execution Herd is ready to roll.  

3rd Centaur unit if getting assembles right now and I have a game booked on Saturday night.  

Realm: Aqshy

Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
- General
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Infernal Guard Battle Standard Bearer (100)
- Thermal rider Cloak

Magma Cannon (140)

Execution Herd (160)

Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Wounds: 99

The army is very small.  Has anyone played with this yet? Looks great on paper but I don't think it will like getting bogged down.  

I get Marked for Death for Reroll HITS

Shar'tor Command makes all Bulls Reroll failed charge rolls and re-roll Hooves hit rolls of 1. 

Taur'ruk gives +1 to hit rolls for the bulls.  

Battle Standard gives reroll 1's to wound and moves 8"

It feels a bit like there is too much going on with buffing to hit rolls, and not enough 

I also need to choose a 2nd artefact.  

That list looks great.  A few possibilities:

1. Grotesque + Armour of Bazherak or Gryph Feather Charm on the Taur'ruk.  You can have him -2 to hit in melee, -1 by ranged, or -1 to hit in melee and 5+ ignore any wound.  You want him to stay alive to throw out his +1 hit command ability, and this would help.

2. Chalice of Blood and Darkness.  This is a great pick I've found to disrupt enemy casters.  Armies like Tzeentch and stuff who gain bonuses will statistically beat your unbind attempts, especially with destiny dice.  The Chalice can help stop them from being able to cast at all, even though it's only once per game.

4 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Imo, if you're going to run that much infantry, you should really invest in the battalion with the support heroes.  Drop a Magma Cannon or two for something like an Iron Daemon.  Rolling an Iron Daemon up the field with a Magma Cannon, just spells certain doom for many mid-backline heroes.

I'm not a huge fan of the Blackshard warhost. If Draz is alive you are fearless. The reroll of hits isn't bad but you don't even get them if you charge, but it isn't bad. I think what I might try is cutting a magma cannon for a Castellan or Standard Bearer. Maybe I'm wrong though, hopefully I get time to test out different combos. I just really wanted to put 4 Magma Cannons on the board :).

Edited by Warbossironteef

1 hour ago, Warbossironteef said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Blackshard warhost. If Draz is alive you are fearless. The reroll of hits isn't bad but you don't even get them if you charge, but it isn't bad. I think what I might try is cutting a magma cannon for a Castellan or Standard Bearer. Maybe I'm wrong though, hopefully I get time to test out different combos. I just really wanted to put 4 Magma Cannons on the board :).

Eh, yes and no.  You need a Command Point to make everyone "fearless" and your CPs should be spent on the Castellan CA to maximize your army's damage, ESPECIALLY with the banner and battalion reroll 1's... your 60 Ironsworn will be throwing out a lot of damage.  Fireglaives already shoot out mortal wounds, and 4 seems a bit overkill, especially when you can take something with more mobility/output like an Iron Daemon or Skullcracker.  Without the engines, you're going to have a hard time pointing your cannons on key targets that need to die.  Our main strength lies in our artillery killing their support units.

What's the general consensus on using two battalions competitively? 

For example I'm thinking of running an execution horde + artillery train with 3 magmas. Would get me a 3 drop with the extra Smith I would bring and obviously the benefits are great.

Either that or considering dropping artillery train (and thusly the iron daemon) keeping 3 magmas and adding in 2x3K'daai instead but then I'm at 8 drops with an additional Smith here too. I always lean more towards the K'daai list as it still has 3 cannons in it anyway, but maybe I'm selling the iron daemon short on its worth as well as not having a 3 drop. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gwendar said:

What's the general consensus on using two battalions competitively? 

For example I'm thinking of running an execution horde + artillery train with 3 magmas. Would get me a 3 drop with the extra Smith I would bring and obviously the benefits are great.

Either that or considering dropping artillery train (and thusly the iron daemon) keeping 3 magmas and adding in 2x3K'daai instead but then I'm at 8 drops with an additional Smith here too. I always lean more towards the K'daai list as it still has 3 cannons in it anyway, but maybe I'm selling the iron daemon short on its worth as well as not having a 3 drop. 

In my experiences with other armies like Seraphon, it is not worth it. 260+ points is a too much to invest in. Especially considering the battalions don't add any defense. 

1 hour ago, Tanfew said:

How do people feel for allies in LoA? Always had fun playing Belakor in my generic lists and I feel he can add a lot to the hero phase.  

Belakor seems like a nice addition. Is he able to be a Legion of Azgorh Ally? I'm not sure what allegiance he falls under. 

Edited by Warbossironteef

3 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Belakor seems like a nice addition. Is he able to be a Legion of Azgorh Ally? I'm not sure what allegiance he falls under. 

Oh good catch, he can't ally with them. Dang, I thought he had Slaves of Darkness