AoS 2 - Clan Pestilens Discussion

Gaz Taylor

1 hour ago, Globadier said:

Thanks for your answer ?

What is the opinion of the others? Which weapon choice is better for a block of 40 monks? The twin foetid blades or the woe-staves?

It's just my opinion, though I like the extra attacks the staves give to the rear Monks in range, though this is more as I don't trust my dice. I do agree that double-blades is the way to go for small blobs as less need for the rear Monks to get attacks in and as Skreech says, potential for more damage happens with double-blades.

----

Seriously though, should I go for two Plague Furnaces? In asking about, it seems 180 Monks may be too much for a fun game, yet I always see people saying to play with four blobs of 40 (160 Monks total). It would be easier to assemble them that way I think, as grabbing eight boxes means I can assemble half with the one banner and instrument, then the other four boxes with the other, then group them like that.

And yet, I've seen in the past that having more than one Plague Furnace could be a bit of a waste. I am tempted though because I would get more chance of setting off a Great Plague, rolling five prayers per Hero Phase (1 Verminlord, 2 on the Liber Bubonicus Plague Furnace, the fourth on the 2nd Plague Furnace and the fifth on the Plague Priest with Censor). Also means I can prepare 3 squads with Rabid Fever too.

Help, TGA... What would you do?

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

The twin foetid blade rerolling every missed hitrole is huge, and mostly it means dealing more damage then having a stick in the other hand 

But isn't the extra inch of reach better in a larger block of units? To get more attacks in with more rats? Especially if you are running 200+ monks in packs of 40? I think that the board will be cluttered very quickly..

• Thanks 1

I’m also torn on staves vs dual blades, I’m thinking I’ll probably run 80 rats with blades and 40 with blades and staves. When they get the bonus attack it definitely seems worthwhile to have staves. But without it probably not.

keep in mind what someone else posted, 25mm bases are just shy of an inch so plague monks can fight in two ranks as long as they’re base to base to base. With staves that can become three ranks worth. I may play test before i build.

I've played some small point games and had 20 Monks in each squad. Against larger hordes that's moderately feasible. Against some elite squad of five due to pile-in rules you may get half to three quarters of 20 Monks able to attack. I've never faced a unit able to use all 20. Even some stave users in the third rank just weren't close enough.

How about this list? The monks for chaff this time and the mass amount of censer bearers (17x5) in the small size units to have a lot of walking smoke bombs that deal d3 MW to all units within 3" on a 2 up per censer bearer unit because of the battalion. Would it be playable?

Allegiance: Pestilens

LEADERS
Plague Furnace (180)
- General
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
Grey Seer (100)
- Allies

UNITS
20 x Plague Monks (140)
-Foetid Blades
20 x Plague Monks (140)
-Foetid Blades
20 x Plague Monks (140)
-Foetid Blades
5 x Plague Censer Bearers (60)

BATTALIONS
Plaguesmog Congregation (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

TOTAL: 2000/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 167
LEADERS: 3/6     BATTLELINES: 20 (3+)     BEHEMOTHS: 1/4     ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/2     ALLIES: 100/400

23 minutes ago, Mr.Plague said:

How about this list? The monks for chaff this time and the mass amount of censer bearers (17x5) in the small size units to have a lot of walking smoke bombs that deal d3 MW to all units within 3" on a 2 up per censer bearer unit because of the battalion. Would it be playable?

LEADERS
Plague Furnace (180)
- General
Grey Seer (100)
- Allies

UNITS
20 x Plague Monks (140)
-Foetid Blades
20 x Plague Monks (140)
-Foetid Blades
20 x Plague Monks (140)
-Foetid Blades

BATTALIONS

ENDLESS SPELLS
Chronomantic Cogs (60)

TOTAL: 2000/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 167
LEADERS: 3/6     BATTLELINES: 20 (3+)     BEHEMOTHS: 1/4     ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/2     ALLIES: 100/400

I don't know if you will need that many Plague Censer Bearers.

The point is that the rule states:

"In your herophase, roll a dice for each unit that is within 3" of any units in a Plaguesmog Congregation"

Each eneny unit in range rolls one dice regardless of how many Plague Censer Bearer units are standing in 3"

• Like 1

The big trap it seems atm for Pestilens in theory are the battallions, that taking one steals away essentially the equivalent of a 20 Plague Monk drop. In our army where having more Monks is better, that's a fair assessment and I think some are quite the trap to take. For example I doubt anyone is going to be running a Virulent Procession in 2000pts.

I've been questioning whether it'd be worth it to take the solo Congregation of Filth I have in my list. I believe it's pretty beneficial, as the rerolling of charges and 6+ save really covers some tails. Plus the extra Command Point for Gouge-Tear and Inspiring Presence, along with a bonus artifact is pretty neat. Is it too expensive in points to be as great as it was before though?

I could run a list of 5x blobs of 40 Plague Monks (200 of them) and still have room for the big boy Verminlord and Plague Furnaces etc. Or y'know, use the bonus points to slip in more allies.

It's pretty unoptimised not to run Pestilens as a horde, though Monks are cheap and so it's easy to slip into a potential trap when adding to a list. What does everyone think on that?

13 minutes ago, wander said:

The big trap it seems atm for Pestilens in theory are the battallions, that taking one steals away essentially the equivalent of a 20 Plague Monk drop. In our army where having more Monks is better, that's a fair assessment and I think some are quite the trap to take. For example I doubt anyone is going to be running a Virulent Procession in 2000pts.

I've been questioning whether it'd be worth it to take the solo Congregation of Filth I have in my list. I believe it's pretty beneficial, as the rerolling of charges and 6+ save really covers some tails. Plus the extra Command Point for Gouge-Tear and Inspiring Presence, along with a bonus artifact is pretty neat. Is it too expensive in points to be as great as it was before though?

I could run a list of 5x blobs of 40 Plague Monks (200 of them) and still have room for the big boy Verminlord and Plague Furnaces etc. Or y'know, use the bonus points to slip in more allies.

It's pretty unoptimised not to run Pestilens as a horde, though Monks are cheap and so it's easy to slip into a potential trap when adding to a list. What does everyone think on that?

The battailon does give your plague monks a very desperate (well not really desperate) needed save.

and isn’t that bad, for its points.

but hey I don’t know, try it out without any battalions and tell us how it went.?

anyways good luck.

Counting ranges for two weapons is annoying an already slow to play army.  I just use blades.  The math works out the same unless you use the +1 attack command ability more than once, which you should never have to do.  20 monks with blades can all swing in two ranks anyway and kill mostly anything.

• Like 2

I see all your points but what if I run my all out plague monk list with the 320 (8x40) monks and 1 plague priest. Are the blades still better than the staves?

I know I got noone to give me bonus attacks with the staves but I can imagine that with 320 rats to use them all effectively with only an 1'' attack might be difficult? Or is a mixed units setup ones with blades and others with staves in an army with this amount of units the way to go?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated before I start building 320 rats with the wrong loadout xD

13 minutes ago, Mr.Plague said:

I see all your points but what if I run my all out plague monk list with the 320 (8x40) monks and 1 plague priest. Are the blades still better than the staves?

I know I got noone to give me bonus attacks with the staves but I can imagine that with 320 rats to use them all effectively with only an 1'' attack might be difficult? Or is a mixed units setup ones with blades and others with staves in an army with this amount of units the way to go?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated before I start building 320 rats with the wrong loadout xD

2 ranks can swing with the blades. That is easily 20 rats swinging. It saves so much time and the rerolls to hit make up for the lack of extra attack from the staff.

The math is nearly identical.  So I take the blades so I don't have to swing with two weapons and measure two weapons ranges.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tolstedt said:

2 ranks can swing with the blades. That is easily 20 rats swinging. It saves so much time and the rerolls to hit make up for the lack of extra attack from the staff.

The math is nearly identical.  So I take the blades so I don't have to swing with two weapons and measure two weapons ranges.

Plus, blades are far easier to paint, a serious consideration if you're fielding 100+ of them which most lists will be doing. No way am I painting a hundred sticks with little thingies on them

10 hours ago, Ratcliff said:

Plus, blades are far easier to paint, a serious consideration if you're fielding 100+ of them which most lists will be doing. No way am I painting a hundred sticks with little thingies on them

Great point.  I threw in a few staves over my 130 to break it up a bit.  I threw in a few shields on some as well.  

Building a simple 1k list for smaller games;

The main components for the list I'm all good with. Got a Verminlord Corruptor, Plague Furnace, 60 Plague Monks and a Congregation of Filth battallion.

The main question I wanted to ask was how to distribute the Plague Monks. There are a pair of choices that give a 990pts list. Do I do three squads of 20x Monks (for max manouvreability, attacks and objective reach) or do I put them in two squads of 30x Monks (less reach/board control, though more consolidated and may last longer, though missing back row attackers)?

I could do a squad of 40 Monks with a squad of 20 Monks, that puts me at 950 and so I'd get a free command point, though I'm concerned I could get flanked and the squad of 20 may be easily smashed, leaving me at a disadvantage for objective grabs.

What's a good call?

17 hours ago, wander said:

Building a simple 1k list for smaller games;

The main components for the list I'm all good with. Got a Verminlord Corruptor, Plague Furnace, 60 Plague Monks and a Congregation of Filth battallion.

The main question I wanted to ask was how to distribute the Plague Monks. There are a pair of choices that give a 990pts list. Do I do three squads of 20x Monks (for max manouvreability, attacks and objective reach) or do I put them in two squads of 30x Monks (less reach/board control, though more consolidated and may last longer, though missing back row attackers)?

I could do a squad of 40 Monks with a squad of 20 Monks, that puts me at 950 and so I'd get a free command point, though I'm concerned I could get flanked and the squad of 20 may be easily smashed, leaving me at a disadvantage for objective grabs.

What's a good call?

What about 10, 10, 40? Deploy your small units right on the edge of your dz, making sure nothing can get past, and having the 40 man blob about 6" behind to smash anything that gets caught in your net

A fair point, though that only would be decent for battleplans where I'd not need to venture forth and claim objectives. I'm actually leaning more to two squads of 30 atm, mainly as Congregation of Filth offers rerolling of charges for units 20+ in size when within 13" of the Plague Furnace. I fully expect to lose some rats before charging as I can't guarantee going first or getting the double-turn. Two units of 30 gives less board control though give me a buffer before laying down the hammer and I'd be rolling at Bravery 9 on their first loss, long as I have over 20 Monks left, which I like.

My main worry now is fighting Nighthaunts and the Craven King stealing my Command Points. That model worries me.

Played a 1500pt battle tonight against overlords, a good win for the rats. Rallied after losing 60 lads in the first turn to shooting, plague monks were utterly ferocious once close combat started. 

I'm of the opinion that battallions for Pestilens are not worth it, apart from the Plaguesmog, and even then I'm not sure. Better to have more bodies

IMG-20181025-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20181025-WA0004.jpg

• Like 2

I came up with a little fun list. It maybe not the most competetive one, but it sure was a lot of fun :D

Anyway..any feedback? ^_^

LEADERS
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
- Command Trait : Master of Rot and Ruin
- Artefact : Vexler's Shroud

Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact : Liber Bubonicus
Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact : The Fumigatous

UNITS
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
- Allies
- Allies

BATTALIONS
Congregation of Filth (170)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 182
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 6 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 3/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 3/3 ALLIES: 120/400

20 hours ago, Globadier said:

I came up with a little fun list. It maybe not the most competetive one, but it sure was a lot of fun :D

LEADERS
- General

Plague Furnace (180)
Plague Furnace (180)

UNITS
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
- Allies
- Allies

BATTALIONS

Yeah, looks good. Would probably drop the congregation for more rats and give the Verminlord a realm artefact, but that would do decent enough imo

21 hours ago, Globadier said:

I came up with a little fun list. It maybe not the most competetive one, but it sure was a lot of fun

LEADERS
- General

Plague Furnace (180)
Plague Furnace (180)

UNITS
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
- Allies
- Allies

BATTALIONS

For a more fun time approach this’ll just do fine.

even with competitiveness it could. Keep up.

as long as your not intending in getting the top spot at one of the bigger events.

and even than with a little bit of cunningness you could do it.

On 10/30/2018 at 6:44 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi guys just wondering what the most competitive pestilence army would look like.

i myself got some ideas, one of which has around 240plague monks, a Furnace, 2plague priest with censer and a verminlord corruptor.

no battailon of course.

I'm too new to AoS to know tbh, but I know a lot of Plague Monks is a must. This is my list for an upcoming tournament. Prayers are the name of the game according to Aiden Nicol, and he seems to know what he's talking about. Tried to combine that with plenty of tiny paws on the ground, will let you know how it goes.

Allegiance: Chaos - Mortal Realm: Hysh
LEADERS
- General
- Artefact : Blade of Symmetry

Spell: -Curse of Rust

Plague Furnace (180)

Plague Furnace (180)

UNITS
40 x Plague Monks (240)

• Foetid Blades
  • Icon of Pestilence
  • Doom Gong
  • Bale chimes
  • Contagion Banner
  • Plague Scroll

40 x Plague Monks (240)

• Foetid Blades
  • Icon of Pestilence
  • Doom Gong
  • Bale chimes
  • Contagion Banner
  • Plague Scroll

40 x Plague Monks (240)

• Foetid Blades
  • Icon of Pestilence
  • Doom Gong
  • Bale chimes
  • Contagion Banner
  • Plague Scroll

40 x Plague Monks (240)

• Foetid Blades
  • Icon of Pestilence
  • Doom Gong
  • Bale chimes
  • Contagion Banner
  • Plague Scroll

40 x Clanrats (200)

• Rusty Blade, shields, bell chimers, standard bearer

Allies

TOTAL: 1900/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 246
LEADERS: 5/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 3/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4

ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 200/400

6 hours ago, Mayple said:

@Ratcliff

Heads up, your Verminlord can't have curse of rust (or any other spell except his own for that matter)

Those spells are only available to the Corruptor via Nurgle Allegiance ;)

Oh cool. Why is that? Bear in mind curse of rust is a realm of Chamon spell and the tournament is set in Chamon, so I think I'm okay?

Edited by Ratcliff

Do Plague Monks still count as battleline using the Chaos Grand Alliance? I thought you specifically needed Pestilens allegiance to gain them as Battleline. I know when people use them in Nurgle allegiance they throw in a cheap battleline tax to get more in.

List looks interesting and fluffy, would love to know how double Plague Furnaces fair, I'm still debating whether to go for that or not myself.

My one comment outside of battleline concerns would be what are you going to do when facing a gunline style list? Having some ranged support allied in rather than Clanrats may be a thought. I see people use Warp-Grinders to help move their Monk blobs and deep strike them to slay enemy Heroes leading from the back.