AoS 2 - Clan Pestilens Discussion

Gaz Taylor

@Nikobot

Thanks for the input!  I see what you mean about the priests.  My reason for the staves on the priests right now is I can build them out of the start collecting instead of buying more stuff :P 

My area seems to do 4x4 tables for 1000 points and below, but I might still divide the monks into 3 units of 20.

Ok, fellow supplicants of the withered word, here's a tournament report(s). Played in two recently. Tough crowds with rough lists and Im here to report that the horde did well. I actually tied for 3rd in tournament 2 :P

Tournament 1

2W - 1L

Tournament 2

1W-0L-2D

Instead of going game by game, I figured I'd go unit by unit and discuss their application in competitive AoS2. First and foremost...

- Plague Monks.

I've been running 10x20. So thats 200 rats that basically cover the field. They generally come at you in 3 rows if you spread them out evenly to cover objectives etc. Its possible to misdeploy and not use 1/3 of your plague monks. I do not find staves worth it *ever*. Hitting with 75% of your attacks is consistent. In all 6 games the most monks I ever lost was about 100. Its incredibly difficult to kill more than that with the time allotted to a 2-3 turn tournament game. Moving this many plague monks is an issue, but can be dealt with if practiced regularly. Debuffed plague monks are waste of time. If opponent defbuffs monks, just retreat the unit and let another one of your units do the job. I find that most opponents don't fully appreciate the plague monk warscroll. -1 to running and charging while within 12" can make a huge difference.

- Corruptor

After much hemming and hawing, I currently give the corruptor  a thumbs down. On paper it's stock seems to have gone up with AoS2 and Malign sorcery, but its still a 220 point sink. I tried giving it the -3 sword, but in every game it was much too preoccupied with scoring points than killing enemy. Grabbing objectives wins you games.

- Plague Furnace

I've actually had a 'Come to Nurgle' moment with the Plague Furnace recently. 12W, 4+ save (+only worthy target for mystic shield) and verminous valor shunt, means its the only model capable of playing in the "Hero must take" scenarios. You can fully expect every tournament to have a heavy load of these missions. The furnace can be sped up by packing them tight with rats and a the expenditure of a command point will guarantee that your furnace gets within 6" of a point on turn 1. I've never had them do anything in combat. Most of the time, they're ignored.

- Plague Priests

I've had another change of heart with these guys. I've been running 3x and they're fairly important to keeping your Hordes within CP range. I find them pivotal. In every game they allowed me to fish for a turn 1 Neverplague which pretty much guaranteed the turn 2-3 prayers went off where needed. There's not a reason to take one without the book.

• Like 3

Thanks for the write up Horse

I have had good results with the Corruptor and its CA + staves, not much has held up against monks with 6 attacks + prayer buffs fishing for MW

I can see a tide of 200 monks being hard to stop :)

Which armies and tactics managed to resist your glorious filthiness and foil you into a loss and draws?

Sweet! Will post more , just ran out of times. I'd like to discuss Pestilens command traits and items in AoS.

I tied against a Nagash army , which in the future I'm pretty confident against. Tied against a moonclan army in which basically everything died. Both scenarios were variants of knife to heart. Tournament had an odd scoring system in which you needed +500 army points destroyed in order to break ties. Virtually impossible unless you wipe your opponent while taking no casualties yourself.

• Like 1

On August 23, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Nikobot said:

Thanks for the write up Horse

I have had good results with the Corruptor and its CA + staves, not much has held up against monks with 6 attacks + prayer buffs fishing for MW

I can see a tide of 200 monks being hard to stop :)

Which armies and tactics managed to resist your glorious filthiness and foil you into a loss and draws?

I got mashed to a pulp by an Eel heavy Deepkin list. I committed a horrible blunder by putting cogs out on top of 1, which let his entire army strike when and where he wanted.  A unit of eels has 100% chance of buzz sawing through a unit of monks. In hindsight , without cogs he could have only landed about half his army, which means I could have countercharged and taken down some eels with me. Gotta have those monks charging.

Interestingly enough the next game was also against a deepkin army. Not as many eels, but similar build none the less. I made it a point to *not* cast cogs and things went better. I swarmed the field , grabbed all points and braced for impact. With such small model count, he couldn't be where he needed to be. Worth noting that the -1 to charge actually stopped a big charge of his. 

I know I keep harping on this, but the inclusion of the Grey Seer was ace. I originally tossed him in to be able to reliably Gemenids (pre nerf) , but his command ability is downright sinful. 

So I'm a Verminus/Skryre player and I wanted to branch out a bit and try out Pestilens. I started off doing Grand Chaos, but as I kept making lists, I kept adding more Pestilens nonsense til I just shrugged and went 'well why not'.

So this was my 2nd draft for Pestilens. The real issue is keeping the ally limit in mind, I think it's 1 in every 5 units can be an ally? Something like that. Anyway, here it is. What do you think? 

Allegiance: Pestilens
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
- Trait: Master of Rot and Ruin 
Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact: Liber Bubonicus 
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
- Artefact: Rockjaws 
Plague Priest with Warpstone-tipped Staff (80)
Arch Warlock (140)
- Allies
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Woe-stave
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Woe-stave
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Woe-stave
Plagueclaw (160)
Warp Lightning Cannon (180)
- Allies
Congregation of Filth (170)
Balewind Vortex (40)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 320 / 400
Wounds: 172

ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Edited by RaritanAnon
Updated the list

On 8/26/2018 at 12:07 PM, HorseOnABeachBall said:

I got mashed to a pulp by an Eel heavy Deepkin list. I committed a horrible blunder by putting cogs out on top of 1, which let his entire army strike when and where he wanted.  A unit of eels has 100% chance of buzz sawing through a unit of monks. In hindsight , without cogs he could have only landed about half his army, which means I could have countercharged and taken down some eels with me. Gotta have those monks charging.

Interestingly enough the next game was also against a deepkin army. Not as many eels, but similar build none the less. I made it a point to *not* cast cogs and things went better. I swarmed the field , grabbed all points and braced for impact. With such small model count, he couldn't be where he needed to be. Worth noting that the -1 to charge actually stopped a big charge of his. 

I know I keep harping on this, but the inclusion of the Grey Seer was ace. I originally tossed him in to be able to reliably Gemenids (pre nerf) , but his command ability is downright sinful. 

Eels seem to be the best movers in the game, so its a hard force to get the drop on. I can see getting the charge on them with a unit like monks would be the end of them though and they would rely heavily on dictating engagements. MSU and staggering your forces with the shields going first might present some hard choices to the eels. You do run a fair few units, did you not get any counter charge opportunities?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,I'm sure this question has been asked but I can't be bothered to sift through the thread,I know clan pestilens unit can take both banner(multiple times)but does the unit get the effects of both banners in the unit,so does that mean if they have both banners a unit can do the 6 re roll another 6=mortal wound and on a 6 -1rend?everyone on Facebook says you can but it's the wording that's confusing me as they say you have to choose between the book or the scroll but you can have multiple banners and bells/gongs and the unit gets the benefits of both banners bells and gongs.....that's insane,but like I said it's wording as it reads some carry while others carry under each of the things implying to my that yes I can carry all the banners,bells and gongs but have to choose what effects I want the unit to have?

I ask as I have a 1k tournament coming up and I brought a load of pestilens stuff off a mate

I'm going to run

40 monks(double blades)

20 monks (double blades)

20monks (double blades)

Plauge furnace 

Priest 

Verminlord

Which is bang on 1k,iv got a massive skaven army which I use a lot but never used the pestilens as they're new so want to make sure that I have it right before putting them on the table.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow sickly rat enthusiasts,

I've got a tournament coming up next month and br good to know what people think of my list. After a few practice games against KO, BoC and Ironjawz, think I've finally settled on my list (attached).

Highlights is the Thermalrider Cloak on the Corruptor plus Master of Rot and Ruin. This means he's moving 16', can fly, can cast 2 spells and a cheeky prayer! Basically gonna try and bounce him round the table causing mischief but keeping out of harms way.

Otherwise the Rat Ogres have done really well for me, as long as they keep near the packmaster they are nasty! 

Arch Warlock on a Balewind is pretty standard but seems to be worth the points! Other than that 5 blocks of 20 monks backed up by a Priest and 2 Furnaces.... let's spread the good word of the Horned Rat!

BloodandGloryList.pdf

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Pestilens said:

I've got a tournament coming up next month and br good to know what people think of my list. After a few practice games against KO, BoC and Ironjawz, think I've finally settled on my list (attached).

Highlights is the Thermalrider Cloak on the Corruptor plus Master of Rot and Ruin. This means he's moving 16', can fly, can cast 2 spells and a cheeky prayer! Basically gonna try and bounce him round the table causing mischief but keeping out of harms way.

Otherwise the Rat Ogres have done really well for me, as long as they keep near the packmaster they are nasty! 

Arch Warlock on a Balewind is pretty standard but seems to be worth the points! Other than that 5 blocks of 20 monks backed up by a Priest and 2 Furnaces.... let's spread the good word of the Horned Rat!

BloodandGloryList.pdf

It looks interesting.

?

You might be good to go, to be actually true.

wish you good luck and happy wargaming.

ps: give your verminlord one of the -3 rend realm artifact.

with it he will literally shred any units to a pile of blood and gore.

35 minutes ago, Johnny Pestilens said:

BloodandGloryList.pdf

Take out the plagueclaw and take 3 plague mortars instead.  They are just better every time mathematically.

3 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

It looks interesting.

?

You might be good to go, to be actually true.

wish you good luck and happy wargaming.

ps: give your verminlord one of the -3 rend realm artifact.

with it he will literally shred any units to a pile of blood and gore.

Cheers! I tried the Sword of Judgement a few times, but never really got a chance to use it as the Corruptor was just focused down each time. Thinking with the Thermalrider Cloak to just stay out of range and cast /buff from distance. Will see how it goes though!

2 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

Take out the plagueclaw and take 3 plague mortars instead.  They are just better every time mathematically.

Cheers, will look into it. I've actually got a couple laying around but found they hit less reliably, could have just been unlucky though! Though am already using my full Allies allowance so can't take them unless i drop something.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:19 AM, HorseOnABeachBall said:

Ok, fellow supplicants of the withered word, here's a tournament report(s). Played in two recently. Tough crowds with rough lists and Im here to report that the horde did well. I actually tied for 3rd in tournament 2 :P

Tournament 1

2W - 1L

Tournament 2

1W-0L-2D

Instead of going game by game, I figured I'd go unit by unit and discuss their application in competitive AoS2. First and foremost...

- Plague Monks.

I've been running 10x20.

- Corruptor

- Plague Furnace

I've actually had a 'Come to Nurgle' moment with the Plague Furnace recently. 12W, 4+ save (+only worthy target for mystic shield) and verminous valor shunt, means its the only model capable of playing in the "Hero must take" scenarios. You can fully expect every tournament to have a heavy load of these missions. The furnace can be sped up by packing them tight with rats and a the expenditure of a command point will guarantee that your furnace gets within 6" of a point on turn 1. I've never had them do anything in combat. Most of the time, they're ignored.

- Plague Priests

I've had another change of heart with these guys. I've been running 3x

Warscroll Builder says it´s 2040 points?

On August 31, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Nikobot said:

Eels seem to be the best movers in the game, so its a hard force to get the drop on. I can see getting the charge on them with a unit like monks would be the end of them though and they would rely heavily on dictating engagements. MSU and staggering your forces with the shields going first might present some hard choices to the eels. You do run a fair few units, did you not get any counter charge opportunities?

Doh! Just saw your reply.

IIRC, my counter charging units bounced off his eels. They were blunted by that pain in the ass turtle and some mystic shield. He had an item on his SeaWizard that took him out of a combat for a turn. I had dedicated a considerable amount of my reserves to killing him, so that pretty much sealed the game in his favor.   

Can anyone give me a reason to use Plague Censor Bearers? They do nothing better than plague monks and are more expensive for a similar sized unit. Even as a cheap screen I'd rather just spend the 10 extra points for 10 plague monks. What am I missing?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Hvy said:

Can anyone give me a reason to use Plague Censor Bearers? They do nothing better than plague monks and are more expensive for a similar sized unit. Even as a cheap screen I'd rather just spend the 10 extra points for 10 plague monks. What am I missing?

Thanks

Well one use for them is to leave a unit of them behind ranks of plague monks. This means that any enemy charging your plague monks will also get hit by plague censers on the back, thanks to their 2" range.

Also guaranteed rend is guaranteed rend. In faction with no proper rend tools that is something to remember. With that said, I agree that they're not too great (wish their cost would've been dropped to 50).

Hey guys, I'm new to Pestilens and have been tinkering on a little list. The warp grinder teams are there for tunneling up the two groups of 40 plague monks. What do you think of it? Feedback would be a great help :)

Allegiance: Pestilens

LEADERS
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
Plague Furnace (180)

UNITS
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Foetid Blades

1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)