AoS 2 - Clan Pestilens Discussion

Gaz Taylor

54 minutes ago, Globadier said:

Hey guys, I'm new to Pestilens and have been tinkering on a little list. The warp grinder teams are there for tunneling up the two groups of 40 plague monks. What do you think of it? Feedback would be a great help :)

Allegiance: Pestilens

LEADERS
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
Plague Furnace (180)
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)

UNITS
1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Foetid Blades

1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (80)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Foetid Blades

40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Foetid Blades
20 x Plague Monks (140)
-Foetid Blades

BATTALIONS
Congregation of Filth (170)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1 WOUNDS: 220
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4

Well it looks interesting.

dont know though if the warp grinder team is worth the pointcost.

Anyways good luck my friend,

the rest of your army seems to fit the synergy of a pestilence army very well.

It’s just sad to see that, you won’t be using any clanrats ?.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well it looks interesting.

dont know though if the warp grinder team is worth the pointcost.

Anyways good luck my friend,

the rest of your army seems to fit the synergy of a pestilence army very well.

It’s just sad to see that, you won’t be using any clanrats ?.

Thanks for the feedback :)

What would you suggest instead of using the warp grinders? That would leave me with 170 pts to fill in

9 hours ago, Globadier said:

Thanks for the feedback :)

What would you suggest instead of using the warp grinders? That would leave me with 170 pts to fill in

Max. Out your twenty rat strong force of plague monks, and take for your left over of 70points, a warpfire weapon team, or a unit of 5Gutter runners.

thise guys can go for objectives, directly, even if your not interested to sacrifice a great number of your monks, for the following charge of your enemy.

in other words you can stay behind your lines, without having to fear, to see any witches in your enemy’s 1st turn in front of you, killing and destroying (our so beloved) plague monks

the warpfire thrower is great to dish out a good number of mortal wounds, perfect in killing or heavily wounding your opponents heavy hitters, or anything that is Stormcast and Ironjaws.

as for warpgrinder weapon teams.

they aren’t bad just that you don’t really get a assurance, in what turn your unit will come up, is something I really find it a bid to expensive for.

it still can be good and with a unit of 40plague or clanrats you can take full two objectives under your controll,

turn one.

and if your worried in loosing both of them don’t worry, they did they’re job by holding objectives, protecting your frontline and dying, good meatshields should do.

yes-Yes

let straitor things Die-die

Pestilence shall take-steal glory.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Max. Out your twenty rat strong force of plague monks, and take for your left over of 70points, a warpfire weapon team, or a unit of 5Gutter runners. 

thise guys can go for objectives, directly, even if your not interested to sacrifice a great number of your monks, for the following charge of your enemy.

in other words you can stay behind your lines, without having to fear, to see any witches in your enemy’s 1st turn in front of you, killing and destroying (our so beloved) plague monks

What do you think about dropping the 20 plague monks and add in a grey seer and a prismatic palisade?

That would leave me with still 160 plague monks and I would have something against battleshock with the grey seer and some cover to march up my monks to the enemy

48 minutes ago, Globadier said:

What do you think about dropping the 20 plague monks and add in a grey seer and a prismatic palisade?

That would leave me with still 160 plague monks and I would have something against battleshock with the grey seer and some cover to march up my monks to the enemy

Yeah why not,

try it out.

and have fun,

win for Skreech,

Yes-yes 

posterthings shall die-Die

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Globadier said:

@Skreech Verminking Thx buddy :) Just as a short last question. I read the warscroll that within a unitof plague monks I can take both banners/icons and both instruments but I have to decide on giving the leader a book or a scroll, right? Which do you most often go for? The book or the scroll?

Yes you can take all banners and musician option for your unit of plague monks.

as for the champion, I would give him the scroll.

the book isn’t that great since it only those a mortal wound for every enemeny unit within range on a 4+.

this 1mortal wound won’t do you any good, and the scroll gives every friendly unit attacking that unit you have chosen reroll to wound of 1s.

• Thanks 1

What do you guys think of the Congregation of Filth (170)? Is it really worth taking? As far as I see it the ability isn't thaaat great and it would just lower my drops (which even with the battalion are still higher than 1, 2 or even 3 drops), as well as give me the extra artefact and command point. Wouldn't it be better to just add in more bodies of plaguemonks and maybe an endless spell? Life is cheap..yes-Yes!

• Like 1

How about going all in on the monks and just beat down everything in your way? ;) 325 wounds is nothing to sneeze at :)

LEADERS

UNITS
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)

TOTAL: 2000/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 325
LEADERS: 1/6 BATTLELINES: 8 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 1/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ALLIES: 0/400

As an alternative you could drop 20 plague monks (still 300 on the field ;) ) and switch the plague priest for a furnace.

What do you think? Would this list actually be competetive? Besides the time consuming fact of shuffling 320 monks around on the board xD

51 minutes ago, Mr.Plague said:

How about going all in on the monks and just beat down everything in your way? ;) 325 wounds is nothing to sneeze at :)

LEADERS

UNITS
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)

As an alternative you could drop 20 plague monks (still 300 on the field ;) ) and switch the plague priest for a furnace.

What do you think? Would this list actually be competetive? Besides the time consuming fact of shuffling 320 monks around on the board xD

Yes, definitely.

i played ones around 320clanrats/giant rats and a warlord 2plague priest.

played against Ironjaws.

He lost both in the objective and killing game.

I recently bought Nurglitch from the Games workshop online store and I've found the current warscroll for him but I have yet to find what his point value is. does anyone know what his point value is? (Also I heard somewhere that he is tournament illegal but I just want to use him in games against my friend who runs storm cast eternals not really for tournament purposes.)

23 minutes ago, Britzkrieg13 said:

I recently bought Nurglitch from the Games workshop online store and I've found the current warscroll for him but I have yet to find what his point value is. does anyone know what his point value is? (Also I heard somewhere that he is tournament illegal but I just want to use him in games against my friend who runs storm cast eternals not really for tournament purposes.)

Yeah, how should I put it.

Models with the legend warscroll don’t have and probably will never have a point value for matched play.?

you still can use him in narrative or if your friend doesn’t mind it, if  you play him with your army 

Ah well thats unfortunate I like to keep things as fair as possible when I play with them but if he doesn't have a point value then there is no way for us to adjust our armies properly.

Oh well guess he'll just be a really cool looking figure I have laying around.

Thank you for your time.

15 hours ago, Britzkrieg13 said:

Ah well thats unfortunate I like to keep things as fair as possible when I play with them but if he doesn't have a point value then there is no way for us to adjust our armies properly.

Oh well guess he'll just be a really cool looking figure I have laying around.

Thank you for your time.

You can run him as a plague priest.

It's been a while! Been very busy building my Pestilens boys up to 2000pts. However I came onto a thought and I wanted to run it past you more experienced Pestilens players here. My current 2000pt list I've been building to is as follows:

Allegiance: Pestilens - Mortal Realm: Hysh

LEADERS
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
- Command Trait : Master of Rot and Ruin
- Artefact : Aetherquartz Brooch

Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact : Liber Bubonicus

UNITS

40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
- Contagion Banner
- Bale-chimes

40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
- Contagion Banner
- Bale-chimes

40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave
- Contagion Banner
- Bale-chimes

30 x Plague Monks (210)
-Woe-stave
- Contagion Banner
- Bale-chimes

30 x Plague Monks (210)
-Woe-stave
- Contagion Banner
- Bale-chimes

1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)
- Allies

1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)
- Allies

BATTALIONS
Congregation of Filth (170)

TOTAL: 1950/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2 WOUNDS: 215
LEADERS: 3/6 BATTLELINES: 5 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 2/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 160/400

I then did some number running and realised if I reduced the Plague Monks to four units of 40 monks each (which I often see recommended here) that I would have the points left for a 2nd Plague Furnace.

I've played a few low point-cost games and love the Plague Furnace, I wondered if at standard 2k if it was worth having the 2nd one (which may help bring up the Greater Plagues in having that extra Hero) or if I should keep the extra Plague Monks (as you can never have enough Plague Monks). I certainly don't have the points or inclination for a 2nd Congregation of Filth battalion.

Basically, is it better to chip off the extra Monks for a 2nd Plague Furnace, or should I keep my list as is?

On 10/7/2018 at 6:18 PM, Mr.Plague said:

LEADERS

UNITS
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)
40 x Plague Monks (240)

This is my dream. I'm a bit far off though, only 120 painted

On 10/12/2018 at 1:22 AM, wander said:

40 x Plague Monks (240)
-Woe-stave

Is there a reason you chose the woe staff over the twin blades? Is it better to mix the weapons between the different units? Maybe go for 3x twin blades and 2x woe-staves? Or is it just better to stick to one weapon profile through the army?

Do you think that the woe-staves are worth when played with the corruptor? With his command ability you have with the staves another weapon profile to give extra attacks to.

Basically I prefer them for not only the added attacks the Verminlord give them as mentioned. It's also that whilst I know that some say the rerolls are better with twin blades than the extra attacks the stave gives using MathHammer, that's in a straight 1 v 1 without other circumstances thrown in. Mainly I add the staves in because of their 2" range, so my row behind the initial front line of the blob in a melee fighting unit can get some more attacks in. Those rear Monks wouldn't be able to attack due to the knives having the 1" range. Sure there's pile-in though for large blobs there's still gonna be Monks stuck in the back unable to do anything. Giving them staves helps that out a bit.

I can see why on smaller blobs it wouldn't be worth it though.

Just me pushing it so there's no regrets that packing larger blobs means I can't throw out so many attacks. There are other buffs to help successful attack rolls such as Wither, the Banner/Icon and also the bale-chimes doing -1 Rend on 6s to wound (which works nicely with the Contagion Banner's potential of adding in mortal wounds for 6s to wound too.

I'm still on the fence about the 2nd Plague Furnace. I'd be getting it mainly for a third beat-stick and the potential for hitting Great Plagues more, though I'm not needing the Icon of the Horned Rat's bravery buff with big blobs of Monks using Strength in Numbers and  Icons of Pestilence are like a lesser effective Rabid Fever, so I feel covered there. However I'm still kinda tempted to throw in another big model with it's 4+ save and the Rusty Wheels n' Spikes with the mortal wound dish out may be effective.

However I'm bringing in 160 rather than 180 Plague Monks in the list. Though I ponder if 160 is enough to be comfortable with anyhow.

12 minutes ago, Globadier said:

Thanks for your answer ?

What is the opinion of the others? Which weapon choice is better for a block of 40 monks? The twin foetid blades or the woe-staves?

The twin foetid blade rerolling every missed hitrole is huge, and mostly it means dealing more damage then having a stick in the other hand 

• Thanks 1