AoS 2 - Clan Pestilens Discussion

Gaz Taylor

Got off to a winning start with my Nurgle allegiance list last night vs. Vanguard on the 6 objective battleplan.

Long story short, 2x 40 Monks charged across the board and took opposite centre and right objectives and burned them turn 2. Blightkings and Plaguebearers refused to die and held off all comers on home objectives until end of turn 3 when we called it as I was 10 points up. Think my opponent was caught off guard by the speed of the Monks. 

Think you guys were right about the Sword of Judgement, had a rush of blood as I was determined to take down his Stardrake but the VC was half dead by the time he got there, did 7 mortal wounds but then died so not sure how much help he was. 

2 thumbs up for my first go anyway!!

• Like 1

About the unweildiness of 40 Monks compared to more smaller groups, I hear pros and cons for 20s and 40s, has anyone gone with 30 monks in blobs? I ask as it seems they'd have the lasting effect of often Battleshocking at Bravery 9 when taking a hit and being big enough to objective camp pretty effectively, whilst avoiding the pitfalls of half a blob not being in combat range even with woe-staves when charged. Seems best of both worlds to me.

Recently I've been considering what would be good to ally in for some decent Rend (-2 or more), enough to ruin units rather than Heroes. I realise the Plagueclaw is the main Rend we get in Pestilens, though I still find it's single attack per turn unreliable and it's 160pts, which I still find expensive for it. I'd probably say Skryre Acolytes/Globadier units would be pretty good as ten cost only 120pts. 10x 9" Rend -2 attacks is pretty nifty to ally in.

Mainly though, I've been fighting elitey lists with high saves. Also I'd like to know what would be a good counter to Mighty Skullcrushers, that have tons of attacks, a 4+ save and 5 wounds each. I'm feeling higher Rend and multiple damage is good, as my Plague Monks can chip them down though they'll fold eventually and I consistently need a Hero nearby incase I need to Inspiring Presence them...

Help! ?

13 hours ago, wander said:

Mainly though, I've been fighting elitey lists with high saves. Also I'd like to know what would be a good counter to Mighty Skullcrushers, that have tons of attacks, a 4+ save and 5 wounds each.Help! ?

One should just die for free from mortal wounds from exploding rats.  How many do you typically face?

Small units; generally 20 Monks can take out 3 Mighty Skullcrushers about, though I need a Hero nearby to make sure they keep it together with Inspiring Presence or they crumble, even with the 'Strength in Numbers' buff, as too many dead rats whittles that to nothing and I'm battleshocking on 5 after losing a load.

I tend not to take the Icon of Pestilence, favouring the Contagion Banner. For sure Rabid Fever does help, so maybe an Icon atop would push things over (I realise I can take both banners, atm I've been taking the one so an extra Monk can have a 2nd hand weapon). Also as mentioned above, with such a small unit, not every Monk can attack due to them being unable to wrap around effectively at pile-in (even with the improved 2e rules for it), so the buckets of dice really get reduced against such an elitey unit.

It does feel like though to delete such a powerful unit, I'm sending a Plague Monk blob as a sacrificial pawn and taking big blobs means I have less units to spare for that kind of Skaven shenanigans.

Edited by wander

Really? That's cool, because the banner monk just has the one foetid blade. So if I say the unit has say, foetid blades and woe-staves, the banner monk could attack with a stave too? Even though banner monk clearly isn't holding one? (Though I suppose his banner could count as one... ? )

That the banner monks have the one knife in their hand made me just stick to the one... ?

Edited by wander

1 minute ago, wander said:

Really? That's cool, because the banner monk just has the one foetid blade. So if I say the unit has say, foetid blades and woe-staves, the banner monk could attack with a stave too? Even though banner monk clearly isn't holding one? (Though I suppose his banner could count as one... ? )

That the banner monks have the one knife in their hand made me just stick to the one... ?

Yes.  All musicians and banners always have the same weapons as the rest of the unit.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:21 PM, HorseOnABeachBall said:

Just took down a spammy TZ list with my Pestilens horde.  Cunning Deceivers value just went up 500% in my book. Kairos can't stop 200 rats from landing a charge when Cogs and command points are in effect. AoS2 should probably be renamed Age Of Geminids.

From the FAQ yesterday
"Note that if allegiance abilities exist for a faction army, you must use them."

Looks like we can't take GA chaos with pestilens.

1 hour ago, tolstedt said:

From the FAQ yesterday
"Note that if allegiance abilities exist for a faction army, you must use them."

Looks like we can't take GA chaos with pestilens.

Yup. :(

I actually think that GA:Chaos and Maggotkin are so much better that it's possibly worth paying the battleline tax to grab either allegiance for a plague monk army.

This is my go at a 2000pts Pestilens List for 2nd edition. I don't own this many Plague Monks yet, though I thought I'd share and see if you could offer ways I could optimise the list, make it a bit more competitive or just general constructive criticism!

Allegiance: Pestilens - Mortal Realm: Hysh

LEADERS;
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
- Command Trait : Master of Rot and Ruin
- Artefact : Aetherquartz Brooch

Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact : Liber Bubonicus

Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)

UNITS;

40 x Plague Monks (240)

40 x Plague Monks (240)

40 x Plague Monks (240)

30 x Plague Monks (210)

30 x Plague Monks (210)

1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)
- Allies

1 x Ratling Gun Weapon Team (80)
- Allies

BATTALION;
Congregation of Filth (170)

TOTAL: 1950/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: +2
LEADERS: 3/6, BATTLELINES: 5 (3+), BEHEMOTHS: 2/4, ARTILLERY: 0/4.
ARTEFACTS: 2/2 ALLIES: 160/400

So there you have my Pestilens list.

Uses Ratling Guns as I find them more reliable than a single Plagueclaw. I'm not sure if the single Priest will be decent enough to expand the Heroes roster (also not sure if 4 shots per hero phase to get a Great Plague up is actually adequate). I decided to forgo the Chronomantic Cogs to go for +1 Command Point instead, for extra Gouge-Tear and Inspiring Presence goodness. I honestly find the Cogs, whilst suiting our rat boys, over-priced for it's main pick of +2 Move and +2 to charge rolls.

Flaws I know are a lack of real heavy hitters outside the Verminlord and Furnace, plus the odd sized Plague Monk blobs. Though I'm willing to get experimental with how the blobs work in full-scale games though, as discussed above.

I also know I don't have many allies and I know Nurgle has some cool (if expensive in points) choices, along with Skaven stuff too. This is a work in progress and I really want to make a great and fun list, so I'd like to know some cool adds. I picked Ratling Guns for a better ranged support than the Plagueclaw would bring to the army. Having some ranged ability is important to me.

Okay, let me know what you think!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HorseOnABeachBall said:

I actually think that GA:Chaos and Maggotkin are so much better that it's possibly worth paying the battleline tax to grab either allegiance for a plague monk army.

3 units of clanrats isn't too much of a downside.

• Like 1

Like this.  I also like the grey seer.  Swap a plague priest for a seer if you want.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)
Arch Warlock (140)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
10 x Plague Monks (70)
- Foetid Blades
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)
1 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (60)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 236

8 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Ah, so are Clanrats battleline for all Chaos armies? If so, could I swap a unit of Plaguebearers or Blightkings in a Nurgle / Pestilens army for a unit of Clanrats and have it count as one of the battlelines?

Cheers!!

No since clanrats do not own the Nurgle or pestilence keyword 

Edited by Skreech Verminking

11 hours ago, wander said:

This is my go at a 2000pts Pestilens List for 2nd edition. I don't own this many Plague Monks yet, though I thought I'd share and see if you could offer ways I could optimise the list, make it a bit more competitive or just general constructive criticism!

So there you have my Pestilens list.

Uses Ratling Guns as I find them more reliable than a single Plagueclaw. I'm not sure if the single Priest will be decent enough to expand the Heroes roster (also not sure if 4 shots per hero phase to get a Great Plague up is actually adequate). I decided to forgo the Chronomantic Cogs to go for +1 Command Point instead, for extra Gouge-Tear and Inspiring Presence goodness. I honestly find the Cogs, whilst suiting our rat boys, over-priced for it's main pick of +2 Move and +2 to charge rolls.

Flaws I know are a lack of real heavy hitters outside the Verminlord and Furnace, plus the odd sized Plague Monk blobs. Though I'm willing to get experimental with how the blobs work in full-scale games though, as discussed above.

I also know I don't have many allies and I know Nurgle has some cool (if expensive in points) choices, along with Skaven stuff too. This is a work in progress and I really want to make a great and fun list, so I'd like to know some cool adds. I picked Ratling Guns for a better ranged support than the Plagueclaw would bring to the army. Having some ranged ability is important to me.

Okay, let me know what you think!

I like the list. Only obvious thing to me is make the 2 units of 30 Monks into a group of 40 and a group of 20, saves 40 points you can use for an endless spell for your Corruptor to cast 

• Thanks 1

Cool, thanks for the tip!

True enough also I could save points there, though I'm finding the Endless Spells at the 40pts mark to usually be a bit... meh.

The Geminids at 40pts aren't too bad though for that cost (and fitting for my Hyshian rat monks), just mildly scared in having my units get passed through by them! ?

25 minutes ago, wander said:

The Geminids at 40pts aren't too bad though for that cost (and fitting for my Hyshian rat monks), just mildly scared in having my units get passed through by them! ?

Are we talking about Old Geminids or New Geminids? New ones aren't as scary (to both players) since only one orb can hit a unit at a time, no more double wrecking balls (seriously how was the original printed rules 40pts?)

41 minutes ago, HorseOnABeachBall said:

Grey Seers are fantastic now, especially for a horde of plague monks. The look on opponents face when he kills 13 monks but the last 3 are more scared of your seer than the tzaangor about to butcher them :)

Man I really like this warscroll.  Free re-roll to cast, his spell is like a free purple sun with 26" range, and a command ability that, coupled with crown of conquest, substantially mitigates battleshock.

How about this?  
Receive the blessing of the rat on your dice via
The dreaded 13 drops.
130 plague monks.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Verminlord Corruptor (220)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
Plague Furnace (180)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Arch Warlock (140)
Grey Seer (100)

Battleline
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear
20 x Clanrats (120)
- Rusty Spear

Units
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
40 x Plague Monks (240)
- Foetid Blades
10 x Plague Monks (70)
- Foetid Blades
2 x Poisoned Wind Mortar Weapon Team (120)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 233

You deal with alpha strike easily between cunning deceiver and crown of conquest.

• Like 3

Hi I just started playing age of sigmar about 4 or 5 months ago and Im still building my army. I'm running clan pestilence and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what I should get to better combat my friend's army the stormcast eternals.

My biggest question being is it possible for clan pestilence or any skaven army to beat the stormcast eternals. because we have played quite a few times and I have yet to beat him once. so some tips on what to build and maybe some strategies would be very helpful.

8 minutes ago, Britzkrieg13 said:

Hi I just started playing age of sigmar about 4 or 5 months ago and Im still building my army. I'm running clan pestilence and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what I should get to better combat my friend's army the stormcast eternals.

My biggest question being is it possible for clan pestilence or any skaven army to beat the stormcast eternals. because we have played quite a few times and I have yet to beat him once. so some tips on what to build and maybe some strategies would be very helpful.

I play Stormcast and my buddy plays Pestilens, and I can tell you it's a tough fight for the rats. I have a very good record against him, but here's the things that I would fear more if he brought them:

1. More plague monks. I feel like 4 blocks of 40 are what you should be running, they are terrifying and when fully buffed they will shred anything that isn't a 2+ rerollable save (some heroes and dracoth cavalry mostly). Keep an eye on those units and try to direct your mortal wounds on them. The number of attacks they can put out are terrifying, combined with the buffs/rerolls/pile-in on death they always makes me hesitant to engage them. Drown your friend in rats, it will also make objectives more difficult to take. 

2. Ally in some mortal wounds. It's the SCE achilles heel, and skaven friends can bring plenty of them. Warp lightning cannon, warpfire weapon teams, Stormfiends, warlock engineers, whatever. Mortal wound the important/armored stuff, swarm everything else. 

3. Always start your objectives with a LOT of bodies on them. SCE can teleport nearly anywhere, and can stack a lot of charge buffs on their units - so don't leave any objective undefended. Giving up a freebie early means you have to waste time taking the point back, and the toughness of SCE units can make that quite difficult to do. Make sure to keep track of what is deployed in the celestial realm and where it can come down.

4. Verminlord Corrupters are pretty efficient I feel like (did they get buffed in 2.0?). Sporting 2 casts and with the Sword of Judgement and various "Rend -3" artefacts able to be taken, their melee line goes from meh to absolutely terrifying. The problem is getting them into combat efficiently. If your friend is used to dismissing them as melee non-threats, you can definitely catch him by surprise with a SoJ deleting whatever hero is unlucky enough to draw the matchup. Once they catch on, this tactic might not work as effectively. 

5. Ditch the Plagueclaw Catapults. I can't count the number of times these either had zero effect or just went ignored the majority of the game and never made back their points. On paper they aren't terrible, but in practice I've never been impressed by them. Save em for horde armies.  

Beyond that, trying to learn as much as you can about the units/battalions/stormhosts will always help. Knowledge is power!

• Like 1