AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

5 hours ago, Darkfine said:

Is that all we have about anything AoS related?  It isn’t like there are a ton of not slave rumors making the rounds.

Apparently so.

There is not much known about the Tomes after SCE and NH.

For now, there is some 40k stuff coming up, as AoS took the limelight for the last couple months.

TBH, I'm not sure if we should expect a chaos battletome before 2019. There will be some releases left for AoS in 2018 but these could be anything.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's not been much in the way of credible rumours. They have appeared as their own faction in one of the MP short stories - I don't think any non-playable factions appeared in any of those, which might make it a decent indication that they're coming - and some of the more recent artwork has more barbarian-looking folks that could be Darkoath. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, Kaleb Daark said:

nope, it basically makes him everchosen light.  You could surround him with buffing characters of each god and basically pick which buff he needs each turn to do his job.   In this instance the keyword is the mark - he's blessed by all the gods of chaos. :)

fill your boots with the possibilities.

remember that unlike fantasy of old, the marks now are just keywords that allow things to trigger rather than abilities with properties  in their own right.

Wait so can the Chaos lord on Foot or Daemon Prince take this every- chaos god aura/mark  and have access to each of those bonuses in the new rules? You mentioned the Chaos lord on Daemonic mount it would be sweet to bust out my old archaon on horseback to proxy this :)

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 8:48 AM, amysrevenge said:

Unmarked/undivided.  Not as a 5th option, as the only option.  Not to just be a Battleline feeder to Tzeentch or Slaanesh, but to be a stand-alone faction.

While this would certainly make Darkoath unique, I am getting Beasts of Chaos -> Beastmen transition flashbacks, which I think people are still a little sore about. I mean I'm sure theres people who still have Pestigor or Khrongor models for AoS!

I think there should be some Darkoath unique units and more Darkoath unique synergy, much like the difference between Legions of Nagash and Nighthaunt. Yes you can use many Nighthaunt units in LoN, but there are also many that are Ally only. Plus many Nighthaunt models only buff other Nighthaunt and also rely on the Nighthaunt Allegiance.

I've been playing Slaves to Darkness for a while now and wish to stick with the allegiance if possible as I like the undivided idea. The army has some nice units, but after many games I've noticed it's lacking in certain aspects. Mainly, the army is very resilient, but lacks power. One of my main opponents is a Legion of Nagash player.  Slaves cannot power through 40 man skeleton blocks. There are other issues, like lack of good command traits. Lord on Daemonic mount is a great model, but he only helps knights and chariots. I like the Lord of chaos on foot, but I hate that his command ability is worthless. It's basically the allegiance ability. With the new changes, I am not sure if I can stay slaves to darkness allegiance and use a fatesworn or plaguetouched warband. At leasy the Azyr app doesn't allow it.

What successes have people had with the army. I don't mind allying something in, but I am trying not to switch to a main 4 army. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darkrich said:

With the new changes, I am not sure if I can stay slaves to darkness allegiance and use a fatesworn or plaguetouched warband. At leasy the Azyr app doesn't allow it.

Pretty much everyone is confused about how the Everchosen battalions work now, currently people think RAW the everchosen battalions can only be everchosen.

For power, could use a chaos war mammoth. Though since its a tad hard to find normally, its probably easier to convert a LOTR Mumak.

Edited by kenshin620

10 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Pretty much everyone is confused about how the Everchosen battalions work now, currently people think RAW the everchosen battalions can only be everchosen.

GA: Chaos would work too.

After some thought I support the reasoning behind the change. Battalions are now a lot clearer rule-wise and stricter regarding their identity. The problem is just that the Everchosen book is from a time before GW figured out the standard for battletomes. (No artifacts, no abilities, no spells and a meager range of models due to splitting everything into sub-factions and not being sure about merging them again.)

Edited by Xasz

5 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

For power, could use a chaos war mammoth. Though since its a tad hard to find normally, its probably easier to convert a LOTR Mumak.

Can’t find Mamuks either.  Just finished a wire frame for a Mammonth I’m going to hand sculpt and I’m not convinced I’ll get it done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Darkfine said:

Came across that, like the sculpt a lot but am unwilling to put that much money into a model I might be told I can’t use.

I just ordered a Mamuk from GW. $99. It's probably going to need a bit of converting, but Wth. It's not like I'm gonna use it that extensively. It'll be a project to work on at least.

1 hour ago, Saiken said:

As of today, and given the current state of the faction.

Is it really worth going for a full Slaves To Darkness army ? 
What are really the pros and cons ?

No way to answer that for someone else, bud.  I did one up over winter/spring this year, and don't regret it.  But my priorities are mine, and your priorities are yours.

There's a full and varied plastic model line.  But they are mostly pretty old sculpts, and look static.

There are lots of colourful OOP models you can get your hands on.  But they are sometimes hard to find.

They have allegiance abilities in the GH.  But no battletome (and despite rumour, there is no solid indication one is coming).

They aren't terrible.  But they aren't good either.  Solid mid-table army.

They aren't the best power army, and they don't have a dynamic model range.  But they do have a very distinct look and feel, and I find them quite enjoyable.  I went through unit after unit on my painting table without getting tired of them, and played a lot of games without winning a lot, but without getting too frustrated with them.

• Like 3

I love playing slave To darkness,  They are the true chaos warriors , i think tHey can be a good army ,not simple to use but it can win most games,  they've got a Lot of old models but they defend themselves very Well  ( chaos knights Are the Best of them and they are battleline!  I ve got an ever growing collection of them,  and i try always different strategies!  It's an army very very enjoyable for me , my Next Plan is to Finish a 3 man unit of gorebeast Charlot that will always be in my army ! 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2018 at 3:48 PM, Kaleb Daark said:

THANK YOU FORGEWORLD!!!!!!

THE MAMMOTH GETS TO CHOOSE MARKS!!!

YES YES YES!!!!!!!

:):):)

my khorne slaves will be overjoyed!

As well as The other changes it’s also not a behemoth ?

but it’s brilliant news. Double pile in all the way baby! After a run and charge of course ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

As well as The other changes it’s also not a behemoth ?

but it’s brilliant news. Double pile in all the way baby! After a run and charge of course ?

Yea it is.  The last page of the Arcanum  compendium list it as such.

That would have been very funny if it wasn't as you could have had all sorts of huge things on the table ?

Edited by Kaleb Daark

56 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Yea it is.  The last page of the Arcanum  compendium list it as such.

That would have been very funny if it wasn't as you could have had all sorts of huge things on the table ?

Your absolutely right! Was looking in the wrong place for it! Shame though! The March of the elephants might be slightly smaller now ;)  

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2018 at 3:04 PM, Graftonianman said:

Didn’t there used to be a darkoath king? What happened to him? He’s not in the app nor the GW website. 

darkoath chieftain.

He is available separately :)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/darkoath-chieftain

I was thinking maybe the chaos marauder gets phased out as they're old beyond reckoning, and the darkoath sculpts take their place as the new barbarian tribes who just survive. 

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

darkoath chieftain.

He is available separately :)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/darkoath-chieftain

I was thinking maybe the chaos marauder gets phased out as they're old beyond reckoning, and the darkoath sculpts take their place as the new barbarian tribes who just survive. 

Oh there he is. He’s not in the app and he’s hiding on the website! Thanks

Hey guys, looking to start an army with the start collecting and a daemon prince this week, just have one question in regards to summoning with 2.0.

Say that I didn't want  to deploy my daemon prince at the start of the battle, is the only way I can bring him on through Dark Apotheosis or can he be summoned normally using the sorcerer (after paying the points for him I presume)? 

Can't seem to find any clarification on that. 

As far as I know, DPs aren't summonable at all. At least there's no points listed for them in GHB18 for Tzeentch, Slaanesh or Khorne, and they aren't shown in the maggot kin book. Looks like Apotheosis is the only way to bring them on after initial deployment..... kinda weird, imo.

5 minutes ago, Tasman said:

As far as I know, DPs aren't summonable at all. At least there's no points listed for them in GHB18 for Tzeentch, Slaanesh or Khorne, and they aren't shown in the maggot kin book. Looks like Apotheosis is the only way to bring them on after initial deployment..... kinda weird, imo.

They're listed under Slaves to Darkness for 160 points, there's no mention under the new summoning rules that the Sorcerers with StD allegiance would lose the summon DP spell. So is it safe to assume that it COULD be summoned if paid for under those circumstances? 

Edited by Taffster

3 minutes ago, Taffster said:

They're listed under Slaves to Darkness for 160 points, there's no mention under the new summoning rules that the Sorcerers with StD allegiance would lose the summon DP spell. So is it safe to assume that it COULD be summoned if paid for under those circumstances? 

I suppose that you COUld look at it that way, at least for strictly StD, but to make it not available for the other factions tells me otherwise. The DP would be theonly demon summonable in this regard. All other demons need the corresponding type of points pertaining to marks. The DP is specifically mentioned in regard to Dark Apotheosis. I'm afraid that, until a battletome is released, StD will be unable to summon at all, unless marked.