AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

It doesn’t stack as it’s an aura affect as opposed to the model granting an ability. The wording says you roll if the model being allocated the wound is in range of a shrine. 

There are other examples of an aura not stacking eg blood secrator and aspiring deathbringer.

C427D77A-0649-4F8B-A9BF-4DDA7D1C7FD2.jpeg

Long time reader, I figured I'd join the group to ask a question that's been on my mind.

Been playing since 2.0.  I have a couple of armies now and I'm trying to figure out.  I regularly play Nurgle and own a majority of the models.  I was traded a ton of Slaves during this process.  So I've been sitting on Slaves for a while (Archaon and Marauders being regulars in my Nurgle line-up).

The local group is starting a P2G (my only experience was hyper competitive and left a bad taste in my mouth; at one point  they had lined up Wraith, Wych, and about 12 Kurnoth Hunters in front of me).  So I'm going into this one for funsies.  But I've settled on dusting off and painting these fantastic models.  Problem is, with P2G, I'm not sure Slaves can hold up to any match-up.

So I'm asking the hive mind.  I will be running Slaves to Darkness.  Knowing the disadvantages inherent in Slaves, do I run something like a Lord on Manticore with only 2 followers or do I try something sheisty like Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount with 2x 5 Knights?  Marauder spam?

In my head, I'm seeing someone set up a Beastlord and 100 Ungors infront of me.  Or Lord of Blights or Harbinger and 2x 5 Blightkings.  Carnosaur, Chameleon Skinks, and 2x 3 Terradons.

My personal philosiphy to path to glory aside... roll everything! It’s the most funesies to me ;) 

but to your question, I would probably make a 1K list (or whatever is roughly your campaigns middle point) and from that list choose your starting core. Build up to the 1K list you know functions and from there see what you would like to add.

Rough off the block I would bring the manticore lord, not necessarily fun but the only way to get it and you will probably want it in a bigger list. 

Alternatively daemon prince & 5 knights, with 10 warrior or 20 marauders

Depending on your situation, my advice would be: don't buy any marauder as they probably will be replaced by the darkoath this year. 

I personnaly bought the battleforce+SC+2 daemons princes: for just 150£ I have a complete army, > 2100 pts, playable, and capable to be the core of any future chaos army by adding here and there some monsters, big chaos guys, etc... depending on my mood ATM :P

By just switching the god aligment and eventually adding one or 2 pieces, you have an army that plays totaly diffently.

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Depending on your situation, my advice would be: don't buy any marauder as they probably will be replaced by the darkoath this year. 

Sorry for the confusion.  I own... ~120 Marauders, ~30 Knights, ~20 Marauder Horsemen, ~50 Chaos Warriors, Shrine, 2 Manticores, and more dogs and khorne hounds than I'd like to admit.  I think I have 3 horse chariots, 1 of the big dude chariot.  For an army I don't play (which is why I'm brushing them off).

The issue with the 1K list is that what I'd run (under a God.. either Nurgle or Slaan are my normal preferences) but P2G hems you in on choices with the army.  I even debated the regular chaos lord so I could have either access to a Daemon or Spawn (depending on circumstance) but the Manticore tends to be a pivotal force.  Not so much the sorc but the sorc can do some crazy spells outside of combat so there is that as well. (and 3 picks for Sorc v. 2 for Lord)

The preview to next weeks preorders is up on community which includes the 2 upcoming underworld Warbands.

Led by Theddra Skull-scryer, the Godsworn Hunt are five Darkoath warriors (and their Chaos-touched hound, Grawl) from the Slaves to Darkness, vicious barbarians in the service of the Ruinous Powers. They provide a different tactical experience to the existing Chaos warbands, being armed with a combination of melee and ranged weapons, and are perfect for a dedicated servant of the Dark Gods who wants to try something new.

Interesting that it does flat out state that these Darkoath Warriors are from Slaves to Darkness.

While the Community site might not be 100% accurate all the time, methinks this hints that it will be an overall Slaves to Darkness (and Everchosen) update than just Darkoath.

• Like 1

i hope it will be , probably not chaos warriors but everything is in resin , like chosen ecc.

Today i read on Fb that StD book will be coming last quarter of 2019, but i think it will be probably only speculations

Edited by Hounsou83
  • Like 1

Everything in resin? NO!

you have at least in plastic:

- wizzard

- chaos warroirs

- knights

- charriot

- warshine

- manticore+warlord/wizzardl

- all marauders (foot/mounted)

- varanguard

- archaon

and probably more.

Add to this all the new incoming stuff (darkoath warbands etc...)

Pretty much all the army is in plastic actually :P

14 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

The preview to next weeks preorders is up on community which includes the 2 upcoming underworld Warbands.

Interesting that it does flat out state that these Darkoath Warriors are from Slaves to Darkness.

While the Community site might not be 100% accurate all the time, methinks this hints that it will be an overall Slaves to Darkness (and Everchosen) update than just Darkoath.

looking that way, and in truth probably the right thing to do.  It'll give us enough of a mix to create a wide variety of armies and themes hopefully.

In the warqueen novel the darkoath tribe were aligned to tzeentch, but switched their allegience in order to ensure survival - I wonder if this will be a thing with them, or at the least give them the ability to be marked with a god keyword.

@GeneralZero , I think @Hounsou83 was saying that all the models currently in resin that the Slaves to Darkness has need new plastic sculpts badly - such as chosen etc.

... ohhhh.... chosen knights would be nice..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

looking that way, and in truth probably the right thing to do.  It'll give us enough of a mix to create a wide variety of armies and themes hopefully.

In the warqueen novel the darkoath tribe were aligned to tzeentch, but switched their allegience in order to ensure survival - I wonder if this will be a thing with them, or at the least give them the ability to be marked with a god keyword.

@GeneralZero , I think @Hounsou83 was saying that all the models currently in resin that the Slaves to Darkness has need new plastic sculpts badly - such as chosen etc.

... ohhhh.... chosen knights would be nice..

Yes, you are right , it's that what i meant

Plus most resin models for warriors of chaos either got moved to the god armies (various chaos lords of X), moved to BoC (dragon ogor) or were removed (chaos trolls, chaos ogres). That really just leaves chosen/foot varanguard.

Also assuming the underworlds warband is any indication of a unit, there may be a "marauder hunter" unit of foot archers/javelins.

I'm also very curious if they'll bring Forsaken back. Really weird they killed off an 8th edition chaos plastic set even if it sold poorly.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, kenshin620 said:

Plus most resin models for warriors of chaos either got moved to the god armies (various chaos lords of X), moved to BoC (dragon ogor) or were removed (chaos trolls, chaos ogres). That really just leaves chosen/foot varanguard.

Also assuming the underworlds warband is any indication of a unit, there may be a "marauder hunter" unit of foot archers/javelins.

I'm also very curious if they'll bring Forsaken back. Really weird they killed off an 8th edition chaos plastic set even if it sold poorly.

That would be nice.... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kenshin620 said:

I hope too to see new forsaken models ( the 8th ed one were TERRIBLE :) ) and i'd like to see every step of the path to glory in the army, from the human barbarian ( or normal soldier) to the chaos lord ! And so the path to damnation with forsaken and spawns! 

I don't know yet for the darkoath but I'd like that Evechosen and StD synergise more especialy with varanguards and archaon.

I 'd like also that darkoath

- replace all the old marauders (with CC/ranged/mounted options)

- have a nice mid sized mounted monster

- have a big piece of artillery-like unit (whatever it is, it has to shoot and to be ranged). (or give to StD/EC something comparable). 

- revive the mamuth!!!! (with ranged options depending on the mounted soldiers)

I have a weird question, at what point during army composition do you choose your allegiance? Because of the wording about units gaining keywords when they set up it makes me think you choose while setting up your army. Because of slaves to darkness and marks wouldn’t it be possible to change allegiance in theory every game during a tournament or some other event where you can’t chnage your list between games? I could just be horribly misreading the rules and honestly it would be hard to make a list that’s effectively uses all the possible allegiances for slaves to darkness models but I do think it would definitely be cool if it’s not exactly effective lol. Maybes this belongs in the chaos general thread but because only slaves to darkness models can do this I decided to post here, sorry if it doesn’t belong

@TheadTheOgorSlayer Choose allegiance at the start of writing your list. Within the Slaves to Darkness allegiance, most of the units may take a mark of a specific chaos god but that doesnt change their allegiance, it just opens them up to buffs. You can mix and match different god marks within the army while always remaining a slaves to darkness allegiance. 

You could have an entire Slaves to Darkness army, with Slaves allegiance, but everyone has the mark of khorne. You might then ally in a khorne bloodstoker whose whipped to fury ability can be used on anyone with the mark of khorne. The army would still be Slaves to Darkness, using those allegiance abilities and choosing traits/artifacts from the slaves tables.

Alternatively you could run an army entirely composed of slaves to darkness units, all with the mark of khorne, and run them as khorne allegiance (the only requirement to run khorne allegiance is that all units have the mark of khorne, same goes for the other chaos gods). In this case you would use the khorne allegiance abilites and choose traits/artifacts from the khorne tables.