AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness / Darkoath Discussion

Gaz Taylor

I am assuming that one of the next chaos armies to get an update will be StD/Darkoath  based on the Malign Portent Heroes.  I am hoping Skin wolves get rolled into them, but because its a FW line there is probably a better chance they will not.  But If an update leads to them re-releasing the Chaos War Mammoth I would be happy with that instead ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

Are Chaos Warriors in piles of 5 or 10 minimum? The warscroll builder says you can take 5 for 90 but the app says the minimum size is 10. 

The warscroll shows the minimum amount in general. The Generals Handbook sets the minimum size to 5 for matched play. So it is 5 for 90 points.

Played a couple games since last time. Trying out the godsworn champions battalion with the following list:

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount - ethereal armor

Chaos Sorcerer Lord

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore - wraithbow

20 warriors

40 marauders

10 knights with glaives

5 chosen

varanguard

godsworn champions of ruin  battalion

Seeing if the battalion is worth the cost. I do get the command point and relic and occasionally a free fight phase. Played Disciples of Tzeentch, Stormcast, and Legions of Nagash. Rolled over the disciples player. Having a save against mortal wounds and a good double turn killed a lot of his power. Highlight was the sorceror lord on manticore doing 11 mortal wounds to Fateweaver. The stormcast game was close, and his plucky judicators managed to get the final wound in on my lord on duality of death. That was the last chance he had to stop me from winning. Star drake and the comet on the same turn was brutal. The comet alone did like 20 mortal wounds to my army. This was a good close game. Also evokators are too good. Lastly, good ol Legions of Nagash. I still have no idea how to beat skeletons. I basically get no spells off, my units can't fight from all the debuffs, and I take 200 skeleton attacks from a single unit in a single combat phase. And StD are just tough enough to survive a while so it's a slow and agonizing defeat. I've come to the conclusion that this army can't handle skeletons and Legions are popular. Looking into alternatives to try to bridge that gap.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i hope it is ok if i post this here since i didn't know which subforum to use

I'm building a slaves to darkness army of the 5th chaos god Malal and just found some awesome Daemon miniatures of Malice on KnightmareMiniatures. I thought this was interesting to share.

Now i am wondering on how to use them in an actual aos game.

Perhaps the big guy can be a Daemon prince and the spider-like thing next to it a gigantic chaos spawn. Although i'm not sure if they are big enough.

The spiderthing with the skullface could be a razorgor? i'm not a fan of its model so this could replace it. I can't think of anything else.  I might eventually start Malal-themed beastmen so this could work.

And the bladed creatures could probably only be bloodletters or Deamonettes. Perhaps skin wolves if they are not to small ?

Again size is unknown for all except the possible spawn which is 55mm without legs.

So what do you guys think about these models and there uses?

12716015_1668620440071661_4570492111132388030_o.jpg

ebd602d28d5cea56e7a01f726763dd25_original.jpg

KGM-PM04-2.jpg

KGM-PM05.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had thought about a malice themed slaves army for a while.

In terms of those mianitures, I had always thought a Ghoul body +Tzeentch acolyte or tazaangor head+ tyranid scything talons would make a very good impersonation of the demon of malice, so you wouldn't have to buy a whole lot of specialty miniatures. I might use them as tazaangors with blades, but they would also be reasonable bloodletters or deamonettes

Hello to everyone!

In this period i'm happy to be able to play a lot, i'll put here some lists with i managed to win most games (i play against most armies, from stormcast eternals to nightant)

The baddest matches for my slave to darkness army is and always be the sylvaneth (i play against a very good player)

Feel free to use them and let me know what do you think of them, this is the first , let me know what do you think of it

Allegiance: Slaves To Darkness
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Manticore (250)
- General
- Blade & Lance
- Trait: Master of Deception 
- Artefact: Mark of the All-favoured 
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore (200)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
Exalted Hero Of Chaos (80)
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Battleline
1 x Chaos Chariots (80)
- Greatblades
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Chaos Glaives
30 x Chaos Warriors (480)
- Halberd & Shield

Units
10 x Chaos Chosen (280)

Battalions
Godsworn Champions of Ruin (170)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 153

• Like 2

Hi just getting started with Slaves and looking at doing a whole mounted list, not really keen on adding any marks but the list will look like this, any thoughts? 

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount(140)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore(200)
- Blade & Lance

Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
2 x Chaos Chariots (160)
- Greatblades

Units
1 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (100)
- Greatblade
- Mark of Chaos: None

Battalions

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 143

2 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

indeed.. I do wonder if they're taking over from marauders - it makes sense as those poor guys haven't had a refresh in over 15 years model wise.

While I'm sure the DO update will contain plenty of new models, they're not going to retire the marauders.

In fact I don't think they have ever replaced a plastic kit for the entirety of AoS. Gotta save money somewhere!

On 9/19/2018 at 11:41 PM, Cyanid32600 said:

Hi just getting started with Slaves and looking at doing a whole mounted list, not really keen on adding any marks but the list will look like this, any thoughts? 

Leaders
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount(140)
Chaos Sorcerer Lord On Manticore(200)
- Blade & Lance

Battleline
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
10 x Chaos Knights (320)
- Ensorcelled Weapons
2 x Chaos Chariots (160)
- Greatblades

Units
1 x Chaos Gorebeast Chariots (100)
- Greatblade
- Mark of Chaos: None

Battalions

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 143

I don't Think that the godsworn champion of ruin is a good choice here! If you likes cavalry and chariots why not drop it and take more gorrbeast chariots ( in a unit of three with the Lord on damonic mount can be very strong)

Also give the Mark of the all favored to the lord on manticore, it's incredibile!

Edited by Hounsou83

I think the general consensus is that regular chariots don't add much. Compared to 5 horsemen they have less wounds and less attacks. You could consider more gorebeasts. 

I might also consider getting you some of your knights the Lances. Gives you a prime Target to buff on the charge and then you can switch over to the regular ones the second turn. 

Additionally a small objectives camper squad might also be nice

So I recently started Darkoath/STD when a bunch of cheap preowned STD models fell into my lap. I've had a few games with them with about a 50/50 win rate mostly against stormcasts and death armies. We tend to house rule things from time to time to make things interesting and with the lack of a proper chaos undivided army, we decided that heroes from other chaos armies (provided they still remained within the 400pts of allies) benefited from the keyword bonuses of STD. So with that in mind I made a undivided list with what I currently own:

Chaos Undivided 1960pts

Heroes:

Lord of chaos -mark of the undivided

Chaos sorcerer lord -nurgle

Valkia the bloody

Ogrid Thaurmaturge

Masque of slaanesh

Units:

2X5 marauder horsemen -javelines -tribal banner -horns -khorne

1X20 marauders -flails -tribal banner -drummer -khorne

2X10 chaos warriors -sword and shield -banner- horn -tzeench

1x10 chaos warriors -2 weapon -banner -horn -nurgle

2X5 chaos knights -glaives -banner -horn -slaanesh

1x1 gorebeast chariot -great weapon -slaanesh

On another note, I also got a bloodstoker and some bloodreavers with the rest of my pre owned chaos. Are they worth taking? I've considered using the bloodstoker to buff knights or to help marauders swarm objectives, but I just can't justify bloodreavers when marauders fill the same role. Bloodreavers just seem to specialized for the khorne allegiance and won't hold up in non khorne armies.

11 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

On another note, I also got a bloodstoker and some bloodreavers with the rest of my pre owned chaos. Are they worth taking? I've considered using the bloodstoker to buff knights or to help marauders swarm objectives, but I just can't justify bloodreavers when marauders fill the same role. Bloodreavers just seem to specialized for the khorne allegiance and won't hold up in non khorne armies.

Alas, marauders don't fill that role anymore.... at least not for Khorne. What's needed there are  MSUs of chaff for tithe points. Reavers fill the bill here with min sized units of 10. Not so for marauders since the min unit size is now 20. In most other things I prefer marauders, but in a pure Khorne army, reavers are a must have. Blood warriors will grab and hold objectives while units of bloodletters are summoned to annoy your enemy and screen them.

6 minutes ago, Tasman said:

Alas, marauders don't fill that role anymore.... at least not for Khorne. What's needed there are  MSUs of chaff for tithe points. Reavers fill the bill here with min sized units of 10. Not so for marauders since the min unit size is now 20. In most other things I prefer marauders, but in a pure Khorne army, reavers are a must have. Blood warriors will grab and hold objectives while units of bloodletters are summoned to annoy your enemy and screen them.

That's the problem though, I don't want to run the khorne allegiance, I want to run STD allegiance, so I don't see much use for reavers